Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1833437 12/29/20 06:49 PM
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
This is what we haven’t had in a long time: win in Week 17 and get in.

Now that the Steelers are sitting the alleged rapist and starting the alleged racist, we could not have asked for much more. Put heat on Rudolph, put Denzel on their best guy at wideout, double-team their next-best WR and we’re good to go on D.

Offence: getting Wyatt back would be huge. Run the ball, run the ball, mix in some Baker play action, build a lead and we’re ‘Goin to Kansas City’ or ‘shufflin’ off to Buffalo’.

Hopefully we get our receivers back.

Thoughts on how we beat them, ladies and gents?

Last edited by lampdogg; 12/29/20 06:50 PM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
First of all, we have to PRAY that this recent Covid stuff is not an issue again. If it is, we’re cooked.

If we are at full strength, we have to do our very best to not turn the ball over. If we don’t give them short fields and momentum, we will be in good shape. Even if we just run it 3 straight times each possession .. I think we’d squeeze out a win.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
We have to score and score a lot.

Even with Rudolf, they'll carve us up with this defense. If we get Harrison back and lose Sendejo, it's like we upgraded the entire saftey unit.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
dupe...

Last edited by redddog; 12/29/20 08:08 PM.
Legend
Legend

This to me is about covid.

If players are dropped from the roster because of covid it could be major trouble.

I am not underestimating Rudolph. Mike Glennon played well against us. Rudolph could play well.

We have to apply qb pressure. Period.

On offense to me we need to run and use play action. If the blocking is there with the OL.

All will be well.

Most games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage.

If we block up front we will win.

If we stop their run game and pressure the quarterback we will win.

Of course in any game turnovers can ruin you or if you get them; wins come easy.

Legend
Legend
Pressuring him is key. Though, we haven’t had Myles at his best for a month and a half. It’s really affected our defense obvioulsyl

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
I hope the covid effects go away and he gets back to being himself. If there is permanent damage of some sort making him lose his air, he may never get back to his true form.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
First, we won't be going to KC (they have a bye)but a rematch with Pitt is possible.

The most important thing is to not turn the ball over. Short fields and defensive scores can kill any team.

On offense we need to account for TJ Watt on every play. Like Myles he is a game wrecker.Chip him every pass play if you have to.

Like most on this board I would grind it out with heavy doses of Chubb and Hunt. Pittsburgh loves to blitz so I would run the screen game early,as well as moving the pocket. Later I. Would hit them with QB rollouts.

Defensively I feel Pittsburgh will try and run the ball. Stopping the run is going to be important. We can't afford to Allow them to go up and down the field at will. Most games we seem to go in spurts where we allow four,five or more yards per carry.Keep gap integrity and we should be fine

What I'm most worried about is blown assignments in the passing game. with no Goodson and the possibility of no Sendejo our communication is a huge concern

#gmstrong
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Another brain freeze, but thanks, man, I totally overlooked iKC’s bye

That actually makes me feel a bit better lol.

Last edited by lampdogg; 12/29/20 09:17 PM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend

The deal on blitz is the hot read.

It has to be recognized by both quarterback and receiver. Someone has to go to the vacated space.

Bernie was unreal on blitzes. He ate that crap up.

Baker is beginning to read it. Communication is key as well.

At this point we should know the Steelers.

We just need to man up and win the game.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Pittsburgh can be run on. I don't know who they will rest on defense, but I guarantee one thing, they are going to want to beat us up. They will be resting many, which means the following week if we play them again, their starters will be fresh. If they can take a couple of our key guys out, they will. I look for their defense to try and pound on Baker. Watt and hayward are always hitting the QB late, and hardly ever get called for it. I've watched this in several of their games this year. Last week, Watt was shoving Rivers down after the throw constantly, and Hayward was hitting and landing on top of him after the throw all game. I never saw one flag.

We need to look at their backups and treat them as if they are the starters. Out physical them and if possible run the score up early.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 12/30/20 09:42 PM.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It is time for this team to take down these bas^$%$s!

Then kick them in the A$$ the week after in the playoffs!

All Pro
All Pro
I would be shocked if Cleveland did not win this game.

Rudolph will hand the ball off all game to back up RBs.. and the Steelers can't run when you have to worry about Ben.

I think the Steelers are using this as a way to see if Rudolph shows any signs of being capable going forward. But I don't expect to see much because they will be seeing them again next week.

Just run the ball... play action Baker when needed.. don't turn it over. Browns probably only need 17 points to win.

HACK

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

A question.

Do you believe this is the last year of Ben if the Steelers lose in the first round?

Do you believe that Colbert is looking at Darnold?

Or, another option at quarterback next year? Meaning not the draft but going after say Wentz, Darnold etc?

I know Ben stated he wants to play next year. However, do the Steelers want him to play?

Ben looks like his skills have diminished. He will not be better next year. If he does play next year. Most likely that will be it.

The Steelers have always faced reality and moved on from players. Will they do it with Ben?

O
Legend
Legend
O
You think they'd cut Ben loose with only Rudolph on the roster?

You think they didn't get enough of a look at him last season? He got benched for Duck.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I think Darnold is a real possibility for them. Also there rumors Matt Stafford could be available. He could be a bridge QB for them while they draft someone else.

Legend
Legend

That was not the question.

Ben's salary cap hit is $40+.

If he does play next year that will be it.

So, the Steelers have always been pro-active. Rudolph is not their future and they know that.

They will be to low in the draft to find an answer there. Maybe a guy to develop.

The question is about who will play next year? Ben even if he does play is a injury risk.

So that is why I asked Steelhack about Colbert's plan.

Darnold or Wentz would insure a capable Ben backup.

Or, possible starter.

The NFL is a cold business. It is better to plan early rather then having to react late.

Legend
Legend
I doubt Darnold. Maybe Dak?
There will be quite a few QBs on the move this offseason.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend

IMO Dak will not be leaving Dallas.

There are some other options but most of those may be very short term.

Legend
Legend
The bottom line with the Steelers is that they have A LOT of tough decisions to make. No way to pay Haden, DeCastro, Watt, Minka and Big Ben. Can't pick up Darnold for 9 million and pay Ben 19. Math just doesn't work.

More talent going out the exit door than coming in. Fact.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
T
Legend
Legend
T

Anyone feel like we are going to see the Browns at their best, ?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
I don't think we can really get a feeling until we learn who even will suit up to play.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Here's an interesting idea.... bring all of the Watt brothers to CLE.

Browns is the Browns

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Good ... do it again Sunday

Legend
Legend
Show it to me on a day that matters.

Browns is the Browns

O
Legend
Legend
O
Don't waste all those good throws.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

In support of Baker.

Frankly, I am getting sick of measuring this guy weekly. All players have good and bad games. He fumbled. I am sure it disgusted him.

That was not where the game was lost.

Covid is a unplanned variable. It happened and no doubt it ruined the game.

Baker is our quarterback. And he will be our quarterback for the foreseeable future.

He is a determined young man. To get to where he is: He has had to overcome plenty of obstacles. Had to comeback from bitter disappointments.

He is all about the Browns and is determined to bring Cleveland a championship. He wants to win. He works hard to win.

He is not perfection. He is a young player who is improving. I am totally behind this guy. His intent is coming from the right place. And his teammates back him.

I am glad he is our quarterback.

Legend
Legend
Good point about “being measured weekly.” ... At some point that hopefully will stop. Every season has ebbs and flows.

I actually think he’ll be WAY better next year as he and Stefanski gel too

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think every performance a player makes gets measured. Keeping it in context seems to be more of the issue.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
More talent going out the exit door than coming in. Fact.

me likey much.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
All Pro
All Pro
Not only do I think Ben will be back. I think he is going to get extended to get that cap # down. The team was 11-0...but remember most of the talking heads said they were done and would finish no better than 3rd in the AFCN. To start the year

If anyone told me they would be 12-3 and on the way to the playoffs...I would have been ecstatic.

Ben might not be what he was... but he is still the best player on the field in Pitt. As he goes so do their W's

So I think they extend him.. cut that cap number in half. Maybe they try to get a Darnold, Haskins, Wentz... but not at their current salaries.. and not for high compensation. They are all going to have to take less money with the idea of taking over in 2 years. Seriously of the names being thrown about.. even Stafford... Ben is out playing all of them at his age with a new elbow.

I think they look to get a OT and RB early in the draft try to get a running game again

Honestly Bens replacement is probably a freshman in college. They will keep taking a flyer on a Ruldolph type every year or two. But my guess is Ben plays another year..maybe 2 if he stays healthy... then the Steelers bottom out and take a QB at the top of the draft... unless Darnold..Wentz etc.. really want a chance to captain the ship and sign on cheap... and I don't see why they would

HACK

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I agree. I think Ben is still good and will be around another year or 2 playing at a high level. He may not be as mobile as he once was but he can still throw and has quite a group of receivers. Hate to say it because he is 28-3-1 against us but it's true.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I wasn't too optimistic about beating them after last Sundays game but then I heard they would be sitting Ben and a lot of their starters so I began to feel there was some hope. Now after hearing the guys we will have out and God knows how many more by game time well, let's just say I don't feel there is much of a chance.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
We will once again be beaten by their backups, I've seen this movie many times. The curse lives.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
We are not losing this week (thanks Diam) with all our offensive weapons we have against a defense missing Heyward and Watt. No way Rudolph will be able to score with us.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Hello, Hack. Good to see you again. On paper, I think it leans our way.

Fair and objective assessment IMO. Wondered gif you felt Rudolph is the Future or not. We made him look like a champ. I really don't see him as a regular starter. Just wondered what the feeling out of your fans might be.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Match this intensity.

Win.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:
Fair and objective assessment IMO. Wondered gif you felt Rudolph is the Future or not. We made him look like a champ.

Fair and objective assessment IMO. Wondered gif you felt Rudolph is the Future or not. We made him look like a chump.

Fixed it for you. smile

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 24 Steelers 22 Beating Pittsburgh

Link Copied to Clipboard