2. JEREMIAH OWUSU KORAMOAH LB ND
3. ANTHONY SCHWARTZ WR AUBURN
4. TOMMY TOGIAI DT OSU
4. JAMES HUDSON OT UC
5. TONY FIELDS LB WVA
5. RICHARD LECONTE S UGA
6. DEMETRIC FELTON RB/WR UCLA
Posted By: guard dawg Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/01/21 09:44 PM
My immediate impression is this is an -A draft. I need to see how Swartz is used/developed. He was drafted a bit high but can't fault him for that. I understand he has some talent but can we maximize it? Same for all of the day three picks. Guys with talent who are not complete and have to be developed.

The good news is we are not desperate for these guys to supply immediate impact.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/01/21 09:52 PM
Good Group C- Nice Build for the Future.
Harder to improve when you start with a good roster.

Get your Togiai Jersey now! thumbsup

You never get to pick all the players you want, if you look at a lot of players.

A bonus they picked up a pick for next year, A 4th rounder from Detroit ought to end up an early one, so maybe 108-119 ish.

(Would have been something to have seen Jabril Cox, and JOK, in the same linebacker group, HA.)

Browns, (Cleveland) should host the draft, Every Year!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/01/21 09:54 PM
I think Schwartz will have a big impact. He's better than you think. He's going to do many of the things Calloway did except be a big problem for being a egghead.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/01/21 10:03 PM
It is interesting if you look at our last 3 2nd rd. Picks, all 3 were projected as 1st rd. picks ...

2019 CB GREEDY WILLIAMS LSU
2020 S GRANT DELPIT
2021 LB JEREMIAH OWUSU KORAMOAH
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/01/21 10:08 PM
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
It is interesting if you look at our last 3 2nd rd. Picks, all 3 were projected as 1st rd. picks ...

2020 S GRANT DELPIT

Lets hope JOK has a better start to the career over Delpit and Greedy.

I think both can be good players, but injuries have kept them off.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/01/21 10:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

2020 S GRANT DELPIT

I thought about that when I posted tsktsk
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/01/21 10:56 PM
I say it’s about as good as we could do from our slots. Filled needs. Got faster. Have some upside
Posted By: Dawg Duty Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/01/21 11:01 PM
I love this draft. For the 1st time in many years the Browns finally came through. Hey, they even drafted a Ohio State guy.
Posted By: bonefish Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/01/21 11:22 PM

First round picks are 50% chance and the odds goes down from there.

We got two first rounders.

Schwartz when he learns how to harness that speed into receiver skills. He could be the next Tyreek Hill. You can't teach speed and he has warp speed.

The OT and DT you hope for the best that they will develop into good depth players.

The last three will be special teams. You hope one may stick.

Grading the draft is absurd. Total garbage. Just someone with an opinion based upon nothing really.

You have to wait and see what they can do at this level.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 12:42 AM
I thought we'd add a DE at some point, but I keep forgetting that we have Curtis Weaver coming off injury in addition to Takk and Clowney. Myles and Clowney with McKinley and Gustin backing them up with Weaver developing is a pretty solid rotation.

I'm on board with what was done. For not picking until 26, we came away with some pretty nice players.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 01:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
I love this draft. For the 1st time in many years the Browns finally came through. Hey, they even drafted a Ohio State guy.

Agree.
I watched this draft and FA, and could see the reasoning behind almost every move. Stealing the Rams' secondary was brilliant. And every draft addition fills needs or adds depth.

I can remember drafts that left me scratching my head from round 1 through round 7.

This is what competence looks like. Still trying to get used to it.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 01:31 AM

Day 1: The Browns are one of the NFL’s smartest teams, and they attacked one of the most valuable positions in the game here. Newsome is also a very good prospect, representing incredible value here at No. 26. He was battle-tested on a small sample of snaps in 2020, facing 34 targets through his first four games. He held his own, allowing just 93 yards and five first downs while making eight plays on the ball. His feet are easily the best in the class. Whether Newsome is playing off-coverage or press-man, he’ll make plays.

Day 2: The Browns continue to make smart moves. It’s not easy to pinpoint a clear role for Owusu-Koramoah in the NFL, but he’s talented enough to contribute somewhere. He’s an off-ball linebacker who had slot cornerback coverage responsibilities in Notre Dame’s defense and looked good in that role. JOK is a smooth, explosive athlete who can fill multiple roles for Cleveland defensively. This is tremendous value for a top-20 player on PFF’s Big Board.

Day 3: Cleveland continues to commit highway robbery by getting Tommy Togiai, a Day 2 pick, here on Day 3. He has a powerful bull-rush and can be a forceful 3-technique in both facets. He posted an 87.8 run-defense grade and 77.0 pass-rush grade for the Buckeyes in 2020.

Draft Grade: A+
Posted By: jaybird Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 01:35 AM
overall felt like a great draft.... we've had a very good off season (I think)... now needs to translate to the field... hopefully with a full offseason and another year in the system we can see a solid team again...

offense I don't worry about much except for injuries... defense seems to have gotten vastly better from FA and this weekend's draft.... I'm loving this front offense and coaching staff...
Posted By: Pdawg Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 02:03 AM
I have to agree completely. The only pick I will nitpick is the Schwartz pick. I'm not against picking him,just when we picked him. I don't like the idea of spending a third on a project.

I don't know enough about the later picks to have an opinion except for Togiai and Felton. I really like those two picks. I thought Tobias was a beast this year and Felton was much better than where we picked him.
Posted By: bonefish Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 11:35 AM

That is interesting.

PFF is not some person with an opinion. They are a deep dive into analytics.

To get a A+ grade from them is meaningful.

Of course the draft is calculated risks.

I place great emphasis on true impact players. There are many bodies in the NFL. Most fall into average performance.

Players who make an impact can win games and improve team results.

We got two players that given where we picked them IMO will provide great value.

Newsome and Koramoah will contribute immediately to this team.

And it is my belief that they will impact games.

The rest of the players drafted all seem to have the potential to help the team in some way.

I have enormous respect for the work done by Andrew Berry and his staff.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 11:49 AM

2020 S GRANT DELPIT

I thought about that when I posted tsktsk

I am sure you did. I didn't mean that in a condescending way. More just a fact.

The good thing is injuries are unpredictable and the injuries sustained aren't the maddening things like pulled muscles which do seem to follow certain players around.

I don't drink anymore, but I can still toast to good health and good days ahead thumbsup
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 12:22 PM
First time in a very long time where our draft picks aren't promised to start nor even make the team...

WE HAVE DEPTH (AND TALENT!)...

#ironsharpensiron
Posted By: Damanshot Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 12:55 PM
1. GREGORY NEWSOME CB NW
4. TOMMY TOGIAI DT OSU
4. JAMES HUDSON OT UC
5. TONY FIELDS LB WVA
5. RICHARD LECONTE S UGA

Haven't seen a draft grade lower than A- for the Browns. Except from Throw Long and well, he don't count.

Love the first two picks.. Can't believe we got JOK in the second. Yikes. What was it that caused him to drop?

As for the rest,, Nothing bad to say,,
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 01:33 PM
Does anyone know what grade Mel Kiper and Todd McShay gave us?
Posted By: mgh888 Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 01:43 PM
Simply off the first two picks - Newsome and JOK - I'd give the draft an A.

I wanted JOK with the first pick. Before the day, I said on the boards here I'd have seriously considered trading up into the 19-20-21 range to take him ... On draft day the way the picks were going it felt like Caleb or JOK was going to fall to us.

Getting Newsome at #26 makes more and more sense - and I have had a lot of friends who watch a ton of college football all tell me how good he is. . . . Then getting JOK in round 2 is sort of ridiculous.

I love the Schwartz pick - before the draft I talked about having a true burner to send on Go routes and threaten to take the top off the D every play - and we got the fastest WR in the draft. He catches the ball with his hands away from his body. He's going to learn under Landry and OBJ. There is nothing I don't like about the pick.

Into round 4 - and if we are nit picking on the draft because of picks there, or if fans are butt hurt because they liked a player and we didn't take them? IDK - I expect Berry and the FO to miss on players, and not be perfect and to me, with the way they have handled each off season and draft, they have my trust and faith. We fixed one side of the ball last year. We did the other side of the ball this year. Forget depth - Clowney, Johnson, Hill, Newsome, JOK are all going to have a major impact on improving the D. There are a couple other signings that have a chance to be bigger impacts than they might appear.

The whole entire off season is an absolute A+
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 01:53 PM
I would agree that our draft has to be at least an A- just with our 1st 2 picks. Schwartz is a good pick and then we addressed depth and the future with our later picks. Excellent draft. MR. Haslam better make sure we have Andrew Berry signed long term!!! Besides having a picture of a few Browns players I'm going to get a nice one of Andrew Berry for my computer table. He's our MVP!!! thumbsup
Posted By: guard dawg Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 02:29 PM
I already posted my immediate grade but a couple of thoughts came to mind that I wanted to mention. They are random thoughts but since the draft is over I decided to post them here.

1. As I look back over this draft I am further impressed with Andrew Berry's disciple. Not only to wait at 26 but to let the draft come to us in round 2. As impressed as I am by that the less obvious attribute that he displayed is not chasing a DE when the better prospects were no longer available. AB is a gem.

2. Sorry, not sorry, JOK is a better prospect than Patrick Queen in last year's draft. Glad we didn't go there
Posted By: mgh888 Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 02:56 PM
I liked Patrick Queen a lot last year - still do. But he's a different LB than JOK in my eyes. If we can scheme JOK properly I think he can be better/more impactful - but they have different roles to my mind.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 03:06 PM
Originally Posted By: mgh888
I liked Patrick Queen a lot last year - still do. But he's a different LB than JOK in my eyes. If we can scheme JOK properly I think he can be better/more impactful - but they have different roles to my mind.

Scheme is the key for many players. If you have a run stuffing DT and use him that way, all's good. If you are counting on him crushing the pocket to get the QB, your plan is probably doomed.

You can say that about any position. Not many players have a 100% complete game.
Posted By: bonefish Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 03:21 PM

IMO this team is scary good.

Scares me because all Brown's fans have beat down syndrome.

Something has to be wrong. We can't be this good. Mirage.

However, I have followed the Browns heavy since 1960 when I delivered the Plain Dealer as a twelve year old.

This is the best roster in my lifetime.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 04:35 PM
J/c

I was thinking about the “experts” as I was watching the draft.

Kiper is a staple, but basically only because he’s always been there. He’s no more connected or “right” than the other ones. In fact, I think his way of evaluating may even be draconian in today’s NFL.

It’s nice to have him on the tv because it’s nostalgic, but I don’t take his opinion as seriously as i used to.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 04:48 PM
I ended up at a B+ for Cleveland for the total draft, but I grade stricter than draft pundits.

For example, the Cincinnati Bengals get a B+ in the 1st for taking Chase. Giving them an A just because the player is great doesn't make since, they had their choice of a couple great players. They chose a good one...good for them.

The Dolphins got a C+ for the Waddle pick. Again, great player but 6 was as high as he was possibly going. Giving a team an A for taking a player at 6 who wasn't going to be drafted before 6 is absurd.

Anyway, I only did the 1st round for other teams (because I don't actually care about them).
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 04:53 PM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

PFF is not some person with an opinion. They are a deep dive into analytics.

false.

PFF deciphers data based on the data they collect and rates according to their collective "algorithmic" opinions.
Posted By: bonefish Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 05:06 PM

Is that not analytics?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 05:35 PM
j/c

I just wanted to make some comments regarding Anthony Schwartz. Many seem to be labeling him as a project. I'm not so sure. Does he seem to possess all of the qualities you need in a good WR? From what I've seen he does. He is good enough of of route runner to work the slot. He seems to possess good footwork to combine with his speed that make him not only fast but elusive. Isn't that the killer combination everyone is looking for in a complete WR? He catches the ball with his hands and not his body.

I do see a weakness. His route running may need some work. But is it his route running that's an issue or is it the limited routes he's been asked to run at Auburn that create that perception?

The icing on the cake for me is how the FO statement accentuated how smart he is. With his skill set, which allows him the opportunity to apply what he learns and being smart enough to soak up information, it's my belief that he gets labeled the term "project" more by the limits placed upon him at Auburn than what his ability actually is to play the position.

If you actually break down all of the things he does well, I think the term project is more the perception than the reality.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 06:00 PM

However, I have followed the Browns heavy since 1960 when I delivered the Plain Dealer as a twelve year old.

I feel like this too. I think our roster will be a major letdown if we don't go deep into the playoffs, possibly a SB. Not making the playoffs with this roster (on paper) would almost be unacceptable.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 06:56 PM
Did you see the video I posted in the 'Schwartz' thread?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 07:36 PM
Yes I did. And while I enjoy learning everything there is to know about our players and their background, much of that I take with a grain of salt. I think the most valuable part of the video was his drive and work ethic.

What I try my best to do is look at the skill set of a player and as with Auburn, the system they played in to try and get a look at what they can actually accomplish based on that.

He seems like a fine young man with drive and focus. Certainly important traits in success. But here's the thing. In the past there have been people in charge who often overlooked things like that. You always had to wonder about the character of the players they drafted. You had to wonder if they did all of their homework on the players they drafted.

For me this group is different. They understand the details make a difference. I believe their criteria for players they draft goes deeper than previous regimes. So while I certainly don't take videos such as the one you posted for granted, and while they're very informative to see, traits like he has are what I now expect from this FO. It's something you just know they've researched.

I think that has a lot to do with why we as fans miss on our mock drafts and player rankings. Why we may see someone as a project while our FO may not. Our FO knows things we don't. They understand best how players fit what we do best. They know that these kids have what it takes to succeed while others with maybe more film highlights do not.

I do appreciate videos like the one you posted. I enjoy learning more about our draft picks. I just find it much harder to take the opinions of those deeply involved in the life of such a kid to heart the way I would an impartial view. It's much harder for someone who is so invested in the life of their child or a coach who has developed a relationship with a player or team member to be impartial. Our FO selected him in the third round with no partiality involved. That speaks volumes to me more than anything else.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 08:03 PM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

I feel like this too. I think our roster will be a major letdown if we don't go deep into the playoffs, possibly a SB. Not making the playoffs with this roster (on paper) would almost be unacceptable.

Hoping that the City and the Fans can enjoy the ride. Schtick happens - so even through a great off season and draft, the bounce of the ball or the call of the officiating can sometimes be the difference... most especially for a team still overcoming 2 decades of losing culture.

But I agree - this roster is loaded and has every ability to go to the SB. The play off win this year will have also been a big help. We've gotten significantly better all over the weakest part of the team from this year. We should expect a deep playoff run - but I hope the fans don't go off the deep end if we face some unexpected challenges and hurdles along the way.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 08:16 PM
In other words, fewer Brantley's and Calloway's are in the future.

Players that do not take the job seriously are the easiest to cut, no matter the talent.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 09:52 PM

2020 S GRANT DELPIT

I thought about that when we drafted Newsome and one of the first bullet points on the screen as "Durability Concerns"..

We need CB help because ours can't stay on the field so we draft a guy in the 1st with durability concerns? I have to confess not knowing much about the guy so I'm not sure how valid those concerns are..

But in todays NFL, you can never have too many good CBs..
Posted By: bonefish Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 10:03 PM

There are many cliches that your hear regarding what we(team) want in players. "We want guys who love football." "We believe that character is import."

Then when a guy turns in a 4.38 forty then somehow poor behavior becomes: "everybody deserves a second chance."

Or, "we believe he has learned from that mistake."

I agree Pit with what you stated. This group is different. Scheme match is important. But the we want "tough, smart accountable." I don't think that is lip service.

Great coaches the Belichick's and Paul Browns believe in intelligence and character.

In the long run it pays off.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/02/21 10:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog

That was good for a quick Chuckle. thumbsup
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/03/21 01:10 AM

Things will get shuffled and shaken up. Injuries kill dreams. Happens every year to more than a few teams. It derailed our defense being better last year, big time. It could this year, too.
We have to get everyone to the end of August in a healthy manner.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/03/21 01:50 AM
I am not there yet, Really good teams turn 8-10 players per year. With all the defensive changes the Browns will be well above that amount.

It will take some time for players to learn the system. Don’t expect the defense to be the same at the beginning of the year as at the end.

Injuries are the biggest wildcard. Losing Delpit and Williams last year hurt, there will be injuries this year, where and how severe is the great unknown.

That said, I am optimistic about the direction of the team.

For many years, I said that I and numerous others here could pick better than the Browns front office. That began to change with Dorsey, so I have regained confidence in the Browns front office, and it is clear that Berry has direction and purpose.

I am retiring for a while. rofl
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/03/21 10:25 AM

Kiper gave Browns the only B
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/03/21 10:38 AM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Things will get shuffled and shaken up. Injuries kill dreams. Happens every year to more than a few teams. It derailed our defense being better last year, big time. It could this year, too.
We have to get everyone to the end of August in a healthy manner.

Maybe we should take up a board collection and ship a few dozen cases of bubble wrap to Berea.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/03/21 12:45 PM
1. GREGORY NEWSOME CB NW
4. TOMMY TOGIAI DT OSU
4. JAMES HUDSON OT UC
5. TONY FIELDS LB WVA
5. RICHARD LECONTE S UGA

I call this a very good draft considering they haven't hit the field yet. I don't know a thing about the bottom of the class, but I absolutely trust AB and his scouts. The First four rounds look to be amazing. And I do give tons of credit to AB, but one does have to admit, we got a little lucky with how the draft fell to us. Especially factoring they were considering JOKER day 1.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/03/21 12:46 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Kiper is a dumbass.
Posted By: bonefish Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/03/21 12:51 PM

Kiper explained the B by saying we did not draft a DE?

Apparently he does not know our roster or depth chart.

Posted By: FATE Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/03/21 01:27 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

LOL. Someone gave the Texans an F-?? That's cold!

Did you Dawgs see they traded up twice for the same player lol?

Traded two picks, 203 and 212, to move to 174 too far in advance... as they got closer, they were afraid he wasn't going to fall far enough, so they traded another pick to go from 174 to 170. Hopefully LB Garret Wallow is worth four picks...
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/03/21 01:54 PM
How could Kiper only give us a B when we got 2 legit D starters with just the 1st 2 picks? The rest of our draft was gravy as far as I was concerned with a few potentially good players.
Posted By: FATE Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/03/21 02:06 PM
I think his grades are based on how far a team has deviated from what he thinks they should do in the draft instead of just looking at the talent they've added.
Posted By: bonefish Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/03/21 02:16 PM

Like I said. Kiper said he would have given us a A if we had drafted a DE.

DE's - Myles, Clowney, Takk, Guston, Jackson, Weaver, Malveaux

Berry when asked about DE replied. "We like who we have if someone would have been there we liked. We would have made a move."

I am paraphrasing.

Kiper does not know our roster. Takk and Clowney are on one year deals. That does not mean we will not extend them after this year. Takk is 25. Clowney is 28.

Kiper works hard at what he does. He is knowledgeable but only to a degree. He can not know how a team views players like Weaver and Gunston. He can not know how Takk will play this year.

As a draft unfolds Berry, Depo and staff are considering all varibles.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/03/21 03:25 PM
Kiper has been doing the draft since I was 19. I'm 62 now. McShay came along much, much later. McShay runs circles around him. The only valid reasons I can think of why they still keep Kiper around is the nostalgia factor and that many people who are older and really do not study the draft like him. I think he's the perfect example of why tradition isn't always a good thing.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/03/21 03:39 PM
Originally Posted By: FATE
I think his grades are based on how far a team has deviated from what he thinks they should do in the draft instead of just looking at the talent they've added.

No doubt about it. He bases it off his opinions pre-draft
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/03/21 04:18 PM
I would have liked to see a DE as well. But we do not know how the Browns feel about what they have in the house with the existing group going into TC.

There will always be roster cuts as well.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/03/21 04:45 PM
It worries me that we got such a high rating, because you never really know, but if this class pans out, the Browns are really going to be a force to reckon with in the AFC.

I think camp is going to be amazing with the competition. If you're Greedy Williams, how you feeling right now?

I love that we got Schwartz, the speed burner out of Auburn, who can potentially keep defenses honest. I thought I read that he may be the fastest player in football. It'll be hard to find him PT since we are deep, but you never know with camp cuts.

Love that we were able to get Joker in the 2nd round. Love the Togiai pick in rd4. They filled some glaring needs last weekend.

We have a competent HC/GM combo, who appear to be on the same page, this is pretty cool
Posted By: oobernoober Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/03/21 05:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn

I think camp is going to be amazing with the competition. If you're Greedy Williams, how you feeling right now?

I think he's more worried about himself than anything else. I know we've heard snippets, but my reading of the tea leaves is such that if there were any actual good news we would've heard more about it.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/03/21 08:27 PM
It worries me that we got such a high rating.....

IMO, this whole draft class is over-rated. (Yes, of course there are exceptions). I believe our draft was solid, but hardly 'breathtaking'. I give it a B+; getting JOK so late, bumps it to an A-. Simply my humble and inexpert opinion...
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/03/21 11:52 PM
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
It worries me that we got such a high rating.....

IMO, this whole draft class is over-rated. (Yes, of course there are exceptions). I believe our draft was solid, but hardly 'breathtaking'. I give it a B+; getting JOK so late, bumps it to an A-. Simply my humble and inexpert opinion...

Here's the question we look at every year:

Where would these guys have been drafted in previous years?

If Newsome was in the same class as Denzel Ward, where would he have gotten drafted? Would he still be 1st round?

If JOK and Simmons came out the same year.. who would Arizona have taken?

How do these guys relate to existing NFL talent?
Posted By: GMdawg Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/04/21 09:11 AM
Quote:

Give me three years and I will answer that one smile
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/04/21 09:43 AM
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Quote:

Give me three years and I will answer that one smile

GM has got the right idea....all else is just opinion.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/04/21 09:55 AM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

I think he's more worried about himself than anything else. I know we've heard snippets, but my reading of the tea leaves is such that if there were any actual good news we would've heard more about it.

I agree. The team would love nothing more than to report Greedy is 100% and ready to make a impact. All we have really heard is he is making great progress.

Great progress compared to what? If you have a arm that is totally limp and swinging like a pendulum at you side and you rehab to the point you can sometimes manage to brush your teeth with that arm and hand, that is great progress.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/04/21 10:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty

Fun excersise. How do the Browns 2nd stringers, or 2nd options today, compare with the Browns starters from years past,
Say year 2011.
Start with, Keenum, Landry, and Hunt, as 2nd option;

or Baker, OBJ, and Chubb, as the other 2nd option, either way.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/14/21 09:33 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/14/21 10:13 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/14/21 11:00 PM
5 takeaways from Day 1 of Browns rookie minicamp
May 14, 2021 at 06:48 PM

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-takeaways-from-day-1-of-browns-rookie-minicamp

Kevin Stefanski was able to deem the Browns' first practice of rookie minicamp a success Friday afternoon as soon as he stepped onto the grass.

For Stefanski and the rest of the Browns coaching staff, the wait was over — they could finally begin in-person coaching lessons with their newest arrivals and install the first layer of groundwork toward the tedious offseason climb toward Week 1.

Stefanski never had that opportunity last year for his first season as a head coach. But that made it easier for him to enjoy seeing uniformed players and coaches on the grass on a beautiful, sunny day in Berea.

"Seeing them out on the field with the coaches was all the color I needed," he said. "I get to look out my window and see these beautiful fields, and it looks a lot better when there's players and coaches out there."

The Browns hosted 18 total players for the first of three days of practice. Eight are members of the draft class, five are undrafted free agents, three are tryout players and two are players who are not rookies but are still considered first-year players.

Here were the biggest takeaways following the completion of the first official practice of the season:

1. Rookies cherish 1-on-1 coaching

Last season, rookies were never able to receive 1-on-1 opportunities to practice in-person with coaches due to COVID-19. The first true practice reps for the rookie class didn't come until training camp, and their first on-field evaluations from coaches were tightly wedged between reps for veteran players, who were also practicing for the first time all season.

Now, the processes are nearly back to normal. The rookies know they shouldn't take them for granted, and the coaches have an even deeper appreciation for every rookie rep they can use to teach new players.

"It's just good to see our coaches get their hands on and take them through," Stefanski said. "These are baby steps, but it's important to start there with these young players, so we had a lot of good technique work today."

The rookies understand the significance of it all, too. This is the only time they'll be able to receive extensive 1-on-1 practice time with their NFL coaches for their entire careers, and they'll be able to receive even more coaching instruction compared to previous normal years — the minicamp roster typically contains a minimum of 40 players and can be pushed as high as 70 in some years.

This year, the minicamp roster is barely half that size.

That provides a significantly higher amount of 1-on-1 time between coaches and rookies, and they're not letting it go to waste.

"When the vets get here, I'll at least know that I'm not a rookie who doesn't know anything," cornerback Greg Newsome II said. "It's good to get coaching after I make a mistake right away and that I can learn from it quickly. I know that next week, when the vets come back, I'll have to do it all on my own."

2. 2020 in rearview mirror

Don't expect Stefanski or the other Browns coaches to reflect much in 2021 on the successes of 2020.

The Browns certainly won't forget about the year, but that's because they hope to use it all as a framework for an even better season. The tape from 2020 has already been endlessly studied by coaches and will continue to be studied by new and returning players.

But the results of the year are now insignificant.

"I promise you that 32 clubs start right at the general info Page 1," Stefanski said. "You talk about the huddle, you talk about the personnel and you talk about the different hook drops and buzz drops on defense. You really always start back at the beginning. I just think it is an important way to teach. We do not want to skip any steps."

That job will be easy for the Browns coaches — nearly all of them were on-board for the ups and downs of 2020, and the nearly full-retention of the staff is one reason why the Browns are favored to be one of the top teams of the AFC yet again in 2020.

But Stefanski doesn't want the Browns to treat their offseason efforts any differently. Last season should only be used as a barometer for improvement, not a reason to relax.

"Part of being a pro is not getting bored," he said. "We will start back at square one. We have done that to a great extent with some of our meetings that we've had with the veterans to this point, but I just firmly believe that you have to go back and reinforce that foundation. Whether you feel like you've built a foundation or not, you definitely have to go back and reinforce it year in and year out."

3. Hype already mounting for Week 1 matchup

The biggest news of the week arrived Wednesday when the Browns learned of their 2021 schedule, and it didn't take long for them to identify one of their biggest games of the year: Week 1 vs. Kansas City.

The Chiefs, the reigning AFC Champions, will serve as arguably the toughest opponent of the year for the Browns, who lost at Arrowhead Stadium in the AFC Divisional Playoffs last year but will carry a vastly different defensive unit in 2021.

Many analysts have already dubbed the match as a potential AFC Conference Championship preview. No one on the Browns is ready to go that far, but they certainly feel the anticipation building for what figures to be one of the top games of the opening weekend.

"We know we have a lot of work to do before Week 1 rolls around," Stefanski said, "so we will make sure that we utilize every meeting we have and all of the time we have on the grass again to teach our systems — in some cases reteach the systems — and then get ready for the season."

Patrick Mahomes, Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce, among other Chiefs offensive weapons, will provide a massive first test for the remodeled Browns defense. New starters are set to be rolled out at every position, and the unit should have a firm grasp on its total cohesion after competing with one of the top offensive cores in the league.

"It's a dream come true," second-round linebacker Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah said. "I don't think it's anything different in terms of any other opponent, but as everybody knows, the Chiefs are a really good team. We're just going to not talk much about it in terms of who they are but really talk about ourselves and focus on ourselves. That's what I am planning to do in terms of playing in that game. I'm just worried about myself first and foremost. The wins and losses start with yourself."

4. "JOK" sees great potential with Browns defense

When the Browns drafted Owusu-Koramoah at pick No. 52, Stefanski and defensive coordinator Joe Woods raced to a white board and began drawing his fit into the various schemes and formations of their playbook.

The excitement came as a result of Owusu-Koramoah's versatility. He excelled as both a tackler and coverage linebacker at Notre Dame, which gives him the potential to be an every-down player sooner rather than later in the NFL.

Now, after a couple weeks of digesting the playbook and his fit in Woods' schemes, Owusu-Koramoah can see where his coaches' excitement stemmed from.

"This defense flies around," he said. "It's based on a principle of 'No bark, all bite.' It's based on the principle of attacking the ball. It's based on principles of really relying on your brothers. That is the kind of defense that I have always played in terms of Notre Dame and things like that. As we saw, the Notre Dame defense was successful, and going into this defense, there are a lot of disguises and a lot of things that coach is doing.

"I think me and my versatility are used perfectly within the defense in terms of its principals and what he is looking for."

Owusu-Koramoah has already been told that he'll receive initial reps as the WILL (weakside) linebacker, a position typically reserved for the fastest player of the linebacker group. The Browns spoke highly of his speed on the night he was drafted, so the position assignment isn't any surprise.

"That is kind of where I am working at right now on third down and things like that," Owusu-Koramoah said "That will add more to it, but for right now, that is what I am studying."

5. Injury update

The Browns will be without one of their 18 minicamp players this weekend.

Linebacker Tony Fields II, a fifth-round draft pick, did not practice Friday because of a foot injury. Stefanski said he expects Fields to be out for a few weeks and isn't worried about him missing extensive time.

"There's nothing concerning long-term, but that's where Tony was," he said.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/15/21 08:40 AM
1. GREGORY NEWSOME CB NW
4. TOMMY TOGIAI DT OSU
4. JAMES HUDSON OT UC
5. TONY FIELDS LB WVA
5. RICHARD LECONTE S UGA

Have the Browns become too predictable?
What is the timeframe on when that would come back to bite them?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS - 05/16/21 08:41 PM
1. GREGORY NEWSOME CB NW
4. TOMMY TOGIAI DT OSU
4. JAMES HUDSON OT UC
5. TONY FIELDS LB WVA
5. RICHARD LECONTE S UGA

Hate to say it, but take off the propaganda glasses, it starts to look a lot like a draft that started with Mingo.
Play find the difference maker? I can't.
predictable?
5th Rd LB, 6th rd RB, OL that's not dominant, I think we've seen this stuff before.
Scott Solomon! Bloodbath. David McMillian! Kaluka Maivea,
It's only been 2 weeks, but, Say it ain't so.

Real potential for Bad.
Bad Corner, Bad Linebacker, No 'it factor' Wr, Undersized DL,
Non Dominant OT
and 3 guys in the final 3 rounds, who won't make a splash or stay in the NFL. Felton? Who was that RB that was around before Duke Johnson and went on to the patriots. Small shifty guy.

( I really like Tony Fields, But I really liked Genard Avery, I really liked Genard Avery.)

ok, Db, Db/linebacker., Greedy, Delpit.

The First pick was a Greedy clone, and the 2nd pick was a Delpit clone, <<< (Hate the rest of my rant, but give me that).

The Point is there is a pattern here.

Hate it on Draft day, like it 10 years later. Vice Versa. I'd rather be happy in January than April.
© DawgTalkers.net