Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am not there yet, Really good teams turn 8-10 players per year. With all the defensive changes the Browns will be well above that amount.

It will take some time for players to learn the system. Don’t expect the defense to be the same at the beginning of the year as at the end.

Injuries are the biggest wildcard. Losing Delpit and Williams last year hurt, there will be injuries this year, where and how severe is the great unknown.

That said, I am optimistic about the direction of the team.

For many years, I said that I and numerous others here could pick better than the Browns front office. That began to change with Dorsey, so I have regained confidence in the Browns front office, and it is clear that Berry has direction and purpose.

I am retiring for a while. rofl

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Does anyone know what grade Mel Kiper and Todd McShay gave us?

Kiper gave Browns the only B

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: bonefish

IMO this team is scary good.

Scares me because all Brown's fans have beat down syndrome.

Something has to be wrong. We can't be this good. Mirage.

However, I have followed the Browns heavy since 1960 when I delivered the Plain Dealer as a twelve year old.

This is the best roster in my lifetime.

Things will get shuffled and shaken up. Injuries kill dreams. Happens every year to more than a few teams. It derailed our defense being better last year, big time. It could this year, too.
We have to get everyone to the end of August in a healthy manner.

Maybe we should take up a board collection and ship a few dozen cases of bubble wrap to Berea.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
1. GREGORY NEWSOME CB NW
2. JEREMIAH OWUSU KORAMOAH LB ND
3. ANTHONY SCHWARTZ WR AUBURN
4. TOMMY TOGIAI DT OSU
4. JAMES HUDSON OT UC
5. TONY FIELDS LB WVA
5. RICHARD LECONTE S UGA
6. DEMETRIC FELTON RB/WR UCLA

I call this a very good draft considering they haven't hit the field yet. I don't know a thing about the bottom of the class, but I absolutely trust AB and his scouts. The First four rounds look to be amazing. And I do give tons of credit to AB, but one does have to admit, we got a little lucky with how the draft fell to us. Especially factoring they were considering JOKER day 1.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Kiper is a dumbass.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Kiper explained the B by saying we did not draft a DE?

Apparently he does not know our roster or depth chart.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

LOL. Someone gave the Texans an F-?? That's cold!

Did you Dawgs see they traded up twice for the same player lol?

Traded two picks, 203 and 212, to move to 174 too far in advance... as they got closer, they were afraid he wasn't going to fall far enough, so they traded another pick to go from 174 to 170. Hopefully LB Garret Wallow is worth four picks...

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
How could Kiper only give us a B when we got 2 legit D starters with just the 1st 2 picks? The rest of our draft was gravy as far as I was concerned with a few potentially good players.

Legend
Legend
I think his grades are based on how far a team has deviated from what he thinks they should do in the draft instead of just looking at the talent they've added.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend

Like I said. Kiper said he would have given us a A if we had drafted a DE.

DE's - Myles, Clowney, Takk, Guston, Jackson, Weaver, Malveaux

Berry when asked about DE replied. "We like who we have if someone would have been there we liked. We would have made a move."

I am paraphrasing.

Kiper does not know our roster. Takk and Clowney are on one year deals. That does not mean we will not extend them after this year. Takk is 25. Clowney is 28.

Kiper works hard at what he does. He is knowledgeable but only to a degree. He can not know how a team views players like Weaver and Gunston. He can not know how Takk will play this year.

As a draft unfolds Berry, Depo and staff are considering all varibles.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Kiper has been doing the draft since I was 19. I'm 62 now. McShay came along much, much later. McShay runs circles around him. The only valid reasons I can think of why they still keep Kiper around is the nostalgia factor and that many people who are older and really do not study the draft like him. I think he's the perfect example of why tradition isn't always a good thing.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FATE
I think his grades are based on how far a team has deviated from what he thinks they should do in the draft instead of just looking at the talent they've added.

No doubt about it. He bases it off his opinions pre-draft

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would have liked to see a DE as well. But we do not know how the Browns feel about what they have in the house with the existing group going into TC.

There will always be roster cuts as well.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

S
Legend
Legend
S
It worries me that we got such a high rating, because you never really know, but if this class pans out, the Browns are really going to be a force to reckon with in the AFC.

I think camp is going to be amazing with the competition. If you're Greedy Williams, how you feeling right now?

I love that we got Schwartz, the speed burner out of Auburn, who can potentially keep defenses honest. I thought I read that he may be the fastest player in football. It'll be hard to find him PT since we are deep, but you never know with camp cuts.

Love that we were able to get Joker in the 2nd round. Love the Togiai pick in rd4. They filled some glaring needs last weekend.

We have a competent HC/GM combo, who appear to be on the same page, this is pretty cool

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn

I think camp is going to be amazing with the competition. If you're Greedy Williams, how you feeling right now?

I think he's more worried about himself than anything else. I know we've heard snippets, but my reading of the tea leaves is such that if there were any actual good news we would've heard more about it.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It worries me that we got such a high rating.....

IMO, this whole draft class is over-rated. (Yes, of course there are exceptions). I believe our draft was solid, but hardly 'breathtaking'. I give it a B+; getting JOK so late, bumps it to an A-. Simply my humble and inexpert opinion...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
It worries me that we got such a high rating.....

IMO, this whole draft class is over-rated. (Yes, of course there are exceptions). I believe our draft was solid, but hardly 'breathtaking'. I give it a B+; getting JOK so late, bumps it to an A-. Simply my humble and inexpert opinion...

Here's the question we look at every year:

Where would these guys have been drafted in previous years?

If Newsome was in the same class as Denzel Ward, where would he have gotten drafted? Would he still be 1st round?

If JOK and Simmons came out the same year.. who would Arizona have taken?

How do these guys relate to existing NFL talent?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Give me three years and I will answer that one smile

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Quote:

Give me three years and I will answer that one smile

GM has got the right idea....all else is just opinion.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

I think he's more worried about himself than anything else. I know we've heard snippets, but my reading of the tea leaves is such that if there were any actual good news we would've heard more about it.

I agree. The team would love nothing more than to report Greedy is 100% and ready to make a impact. All we have really heard is he is making great progress.

Great progress compared to what? If you have a arm that is totally limp and swinging like a pendulum at you side and you rehab to the point you can sometimes manage to brush your teeth with that arm and hand, that is great progress.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
I love this draft. For the 1st time in many years the Browns finally came through. Hey, they even drafted a Ohio State guy.

Fun excersise. How do the Browns 2nd stringers, or 2nd options today, compare with the Browns starters from years past,
Say year 2011.
Start with, Keenum, Landry, and Hunt, as 2nd option;

or Baker, OBJ, and Chubb, as the other 2nd option, either way.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
5 takeaways from Day 1 of Browns rookie minicamp
May 14, 2021 at 06:48 PM

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-takeaways-from-day-1-of-browns-rookie-minicamp

Kevin Stefanski was able to deem the Browns' first practice of rookie minicamp a success Friday afternoon as soon as he stepped onto the grass.

For Stefanski and the rest of the Browns coaching staff, the wait was over — they could finally begin in-person coaching lessons with their newest arrivals and install the first layer of groundwork toward the tedious offseason climb toward Week 1.

Stefanski never had that opportunity last year for his first season as a head coach. But that made it easier for him to enjoy seeing uniformed players and coaches on the grass on a beautiful, sunny day in Berea.

"Seeing them out on the field with the coaches was all the color I needed," he said. "I get to look out my window and see these beautiful fields, and it looks a lot better when there's players and coaches out there."

The Browns hosted 18 total players for the first of three days of practice. Eight are members of the draft class, five are undrafted free agents, three are tryout players and two are players who are not rookies but are still considered first-year players.

Here were the biggest takeaways following the completion of the first official practice of the season:

1. Rookies cherish 1-on-1 coaching

Last season, rookies were never able to receive 1-on-1 opportunities to practice in-person with coaches due to COVID-19. The first true practice reps for the rookie class didn't come until training camp, and their first on-field evaluations from coaches were tightly wedged between reps for veteran players, who were also practicing for the first time all season.

Now, the processes are nearly back to normal. The rookies know they shouldn't take them for granted, and the coaches have an even deeper appreciation for every rookie rep they can use to teach new players.

"It's just good to see our coaches get their hands on and take them through," Stefanski said. "These are baby steps, but it's important to start there with these young players, so we had a lot of good technique work today."

The rookies understand the significance of it all, too. This is the only time they'll be able to receive extensive 1-on-1 practice time with their NFL coaches for their entire careers, and they'll be able to receive even more coaching instruction compared to previous normal years — the minicamp roster typically contains a minimum of 40 players and can be pushed as high as 70 in some years.

This year, the minicamp roster is barely half that size.

That provides a significantly higher amount of 1-on-1 time between coaches and rookies, and they're not letting it go to waste.

"When the vets get here, I'll at least know that I'm not a rookie who doesn't know anything," cornerback Greg Newsome II said. "It's good to get coaching after I make a mistake right away and that I can learn from it quickly. I know that next week, when the vets come back, I'll have to do it all on my own."

2. 2020 in rearview mirror

Don't expect Stefanski or the other Browns coaches to reflect much in 2021 on the successes of 2020.

The Browns certainly won't forget about the year, but that's because they hope to use it all as a framework for an even better season. The tape from 2020 has already been endlessly studied by coaches and will continue to be studied by new and returning players.

But the results of the year are now insignificant.

"I promise you that 32 clubs start right at the general info Page 1," Stefanski said. "You talk about the huddle, you talk about the personnel and you talk about the different hook drops and buzz drops on defense. You really always start back at the beginning. I just think it is an important way to teach. We do not want to skip any steps."

That job will be easy for the Browns coaches — nearly all of them were on-board for the ups and downs of 2020, and the nearly full-retention of the staff is one reason why the Browns are favored to be one of the top teams of the AFC yet again in 2020.

But Stefanski doesn't want the Browns to treat their offseason efforts any differently. Last season should only be used as a barometer for improvement, not a reason to relax.

"Part of being a pro is not getting bored," he said. "We will start back at square one. We have done that to a great extent with some of our meetings that we've had with the veterans to this point, but I just firmly believe that you have to go back and reinforce that foundation. Whether you feel like you've built a foundation or not, you definitely have to go back and reinforce it year in and year out."

3. Hype already mounting for Week 1 matchup

The biggest news of the week arrived Wednesday when the Browns learned of their 2021 schedule, and it didn't take long for them to identify one of their biggest games of the year: Week 1 vs. Kansas City.

The Chiefs, the reigning AFC Champions, will serve as arguably the toughest opponent of the year for the Browns, who lost at Arrowhead Stadium in the AFC Divisional Playoffs last year but will carry a vastly different defensive unit in 2021.

Many analysts have already dubbed the match as a potential AFC Conference Championship preview. No one on the Browns is ready to go that far, but they certainly feel the anticipation building for what figures to be one of the top games of the opening weekend.

"We know we have a lot of work to do before Week 1 rolls around," Stefanski said, "so we will make sure that we utilize every meeting we have and all of the time we have on the grass again to teach our systems — in some cases reteach the systems — and then get ready for the season."

Patrick Mahomes, Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce, among other Chiefs offensive weapons, will provide a massive first test for the remodeled Browns defense. New starters are set to be rolled out at every position, and the unit should have a firm grasp on its total cohesion after competing with one of the top offensive cores in the league.

"It's a dream come true," second-round linebacker Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah said. "I don't think it's anything different in terms of any other opponent, but as everybody knows, the Chiefs are a really good team. We're just going to not talk much about it in terms of who they are but really talk about ourselves and focus on ourselves. That's what I am planning to do in terms of playing in that game. I'm just worried about myself first and foremost. The wins and losses start with yourself."

4. "JOK" sees great potential with Browns defense

When the Browns drafted Owusu-Koramoah at pick No. 52, Stefanski and defensive coordinator Joe Woods raced to a white board and began drawing his fit into the various schemes and formations of their playbook.

The excitement came as a result of Owusu-Koramoah's versatility. He excelled as both a tackler and coverage linebacker at Notre Dame, which gives him the potential to be an every-down player sooner rather than later in the NFL.

Now, after a couple weeks of digesting the playbook and his fit in Woods' schemes, Owusu-Koramoah can see where his coaches' excitement stemmed from.

"This defense flies around," he said. "It's based on a principle of 'No bark, all bite.' It's based on the principle of attacking the ball. It's based on principles of really relying on your brothers. That is the kind of defense that I have always played in terms of Notre Dame and things like that. As we saw, the Notre Dame defense was successful, and going into this defense, there are a lot of disguises and a lot of things that coach is doing.

"I think me and my versatility are used perfectly within the defense in terms of its principals and what he is looking for."

Owusu-Koramoah has already been told that he'll receive initial reps as the WILL (weakside) linebacker, a position typically reserved for the fastest player of the linebacker group. The Browns spoke highly of his speed on the night he was drafted, so the position assignment isn't any surprise.

"That is kind of where I am working at right now on third down and things like that," Owusu-Koramoah said "That will add more to it, but for right now, that is what I am studying."

5. Injury update

The Browns will be without one of their 18 minicamp players this weekend.

Linebacker Tony Fields II, a fifth-round draft pick, did not practice Friday because of a foot injury. Stefanski said he expects Fields to be out for a few weeks and isn't worried about him missing extensive time.

"There's nothing concerning long-term, but that's where Tony was," he said.

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
1. GREGORY NEWSOME CB NW
4. TOMMY TOGIAI DT OSU
4. JAMES HUDSON OT UC
5. TONY FIELDS LB WVA
5. RICHARD LECONTE S UGA

Have the Browns become too predictable?
What is the timeframe on when that would come back to bite them?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
1. GREGORY NEWSOME CB NW
4. TOMMY TOGIAI DT OSU
4. JAMES HUDSON OT UC
5. TONY FIELDS LB WVA
5. RICHARD LECONTE S UGA

Hate to say it, but take off the propaganda glasses, it starts to look a lot like a draft that started with Mingo.
Play find the difference maker? I can't.
predictable?
5th Rd LB, 6th rd RB, OL that's not dominant, I think we've seen this stuff before.
Scott Solomon! Bloodbath. David McMillian! Kaluka Maivea,
It's only been 2 weeks, but, Say it ain't so.

Real potential for Bad.
Bad Corner, Bad Linebacker, No 'it factor' Wr, Undersized DL,
Non Dominant OT
and 3 guys in the final 3 rounds, who won't make a splash or stay in the NFL. Felton? Who was that RB that was around before Duke Johnson and went on to the patriots. Small shifty guy.

( I really like Tony Fields, But I really liked Genard Avery, I really liked Genard Avery.)

ok, Db, Db/linebacker., Greedy, Delpit.

The First pick was a Greedy clone, and the 2nd pick was a Delpit clone, <<< (Hate the rest of my rant, but give me that).

The Point is there is a pattern here.

Hate it on Draft day, like it 10 years later. Vice Versa. I'd rather be happy in January than April.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season 2021 NFL Draft 2021 CLEVELAND BROWNS DRAFT CLASS

Link Copied to Clipboard