DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: eotab Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 12:09 AM
Will be closing down PERMANENTLY March 1st.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 12:10 AM
yea people are already starting to migrate over
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 12:12 AM
BrownsChat is closing again, or is this a flashback to 2013?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 12:13 AM
Quote:

BrownsChat is closing again?

Get ready for some new members.

Does this mean we are going to have more people like Versatile Dog?

(I kid, I kid)
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 12:20 AM
First time they ever said the words "PERMANENTLY" and its a sticky at the top with post #1 from the BROWNS TEAM. Now thanks for being loyal fans or anything just come visit the media section they supply and force feed and oh yeah buy things...lol
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 12:31 AM
Quote:

It was still open? I tried the Browns chat for about a month when it first opened and thought it was horrible...
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 01:15 AM
Nice.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 02:19 AM
Quote:

Quote:

It was still open? I tried the Browns chat for about a month when it first opened and thought it was horrible...

I'm the death knell. I just signed up a couple days ago.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 02:22 AM
I was so thrilled when Haslam took over the Browns. I couldn't stand Junior and was so excited to see a passionate owner for our Browns.

However, Haslam is proving to be a major jerk. He can kiss my butt.

How many teams do not have a message board in the NFL? Serious question.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 02:29 AM
Yeah, I feel what you're saying. That is just a tad embarrassing. However the quality or perhaps maturity of the users over there on the official boards don't measure up to the users here (or most users I should say). And although many think we are kneejerk on this board, you should see some of the official browns chat posts sometimes.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 02:33 AM
I've seen them. I was banned from this board for quite a long time and posted over there for years.

Again, I ask...............how many NFL teams do not have an official message board?

Haslam is starting to look like a freaking jerk!!!! I defended this guy for quite awhile, but he is making one stupid move after another. He is coming across as a scum-sucking parasite who can't accept criticism.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 02:35 AM
Quote:

I was so thrilled when Haslam took over the Browns. I couldn't stand Junior and was so excited to see a passionate owner for our Browns.

Who knows? They could be putting it on the back burner so they can invest in a real forum for once. The last one looked absolutely putrid.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 02:37 AM
I thought tab said it was being closed "permanently?"
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 02:40 AM
With all of the other alternatives who really cares if there is an official board? Is this really a thing? If you are doing something poorly, should you continue to do it just to do it?
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 02:44 AM
Quote:

I don't see why that changes anything. You brought up a good point, which teams don't have an official message board?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 02:55 AM
So...............how many NFL teams do not have an official message board?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 02:58 AM
Quote:

Quote:

I don't see why that changes anything. You brought up a good point, which teams don't have an official message board?

There's a certain level of standardization with team websites, and a certain bit autonomy. You can tell this simply by going and looking at any number of the sites.
If this is one of the standardized items, then we'll probably see more of this from other teams. If this is one of the areas the league gives each team the freedom to do as they wish, then -- who knows?

I do know that the timing coincides with the outage from last year, which was brought on by the expiration of their hosting contract with Infopop - they did not host or run their own forums, it was hosted externally by that company. It stands to reason that they renewed last year, but on a one year renewal and this would fall in line with the timing for things to expire. So, they're simply choosing to not renew it again.

Last year, their plan was to leave it down until they could find something better and more suitable. That lasted just a few days before they chose to renew.
Things are under different management in that group this year (the people I worked with and spoke to last year are all gone), so they have obviously chosen to take a new direction. When I spoke with the new guy recently (December), he seemed pretty savvy and intelligent, so I'm betting that they aren't just willy-nilly making this decision, but have reasoning and a plan behind it.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 03:09 AM
It's cool to hear from someone who has knowledge of the situation.

Thanks.
Posted By: JulesDawg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 03:48 AM
Quote:

Last year, their plan was to leave it down until they could find something better and more suitable. That lasted just a few days before they chose to renew.

That's actually not true. They chose another group to host the message board and had a new board in the wings for months before the planned shutdown last year. But, as usual, they got no input into the board and had no idea how message boards work, and it ended up being such a cluster that they just stopped everything.

The Browns front office folks didn't even realize Brownschat had been shut down until weeks or months later when they told someone to open it back up. The organization has been inept in just about every aspect.

I've read some of the conspiracy stuff about Banner or Haslam shutting it down. That's a joke.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 03:52 AM
This is getting interesting.

I have a feeling you actually know what you are talking about. I could care less if I was wrong. I want to know the truth.

So Jules................who is responsible for shutting down Brown's Chat?
Posted By: JulesDawg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 04:00 AM
I was speaking about the first time they shut it down last year. This time around, I have no idea, it just came out of the blue for everyone.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 04:04 AM
jc

It's probably just an exec or maybe even the President. I really hope Haslam and Banner are having any inputs on the boards (because it's a waste of time), well maybe Banner can do it while he's clearing out his desks, but I think they're far too important for such trivial matters.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 04:08 AM
Oh.............I misunderstood. Never mind. LOL
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 04:28 AM
Quote:

Quote:

That's actually not true. They chose another group to host the message board and had a new board in the wings for months before the planned shutdown last year. But, as usual, they got no input into the board and had no idea how message boards work, and it ended up being such a cluster that they just stopped everything.

Ah, cool. I had just assumed they renewed versus going with new.

Still, the timing works out to be in the ballpark of one year from when things changed last year; which could/would likely be a contract expiration.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 05:23 AM
Quote:

I was speaking about the first time they shut it down last year. This time around, I have no idea, it just came out of the blue for everyone.

if memory serves me correctly... I think this is the 3rd time this has happened over there. in the past 4-5 years.

it's always around draft time. I guess I figured it was so that the media couldn't quote chat members as a source.

Either way.. .I'm glad to have more people around here.

Hopefully they all post great articles for us to read and discuss.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 05:44 AM
Just a question for those blaming Banner, Haslam, Farmer, and such .......

Wouldn't this stuff fall under the control of the business side of team operations ... probably under the PR department? It used to, once upon a time.

I feel bad for those who post over there, but it really won't affect me at all. I think that I have posted there once in the past 5 or so years, and that was when this board crashed for that extended period of time. The people there were nice enough, but I really hated the board architecture. It was boring, generic, and lacked features.

That said, a lot of people seem to like boring and generic, and complain about the color scheme of this board, so maybe a stickied thread on how to change styles might be an idea to keep people around if they come over? Some people like black print on a white background, so maybe put up directions showing how to change the styles? Just a thought.
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 07:16 AM
I just learned how to text last year so don't ask me technical stuff...lol but here is the post from the Browns media and it has its own Forum: "Announcement"

posted February 24, 2014 05:19 PM
ALERT: Effective Saturday, March 1, 2014, the Cleveland Browns Chat Forum will shut down permanently. We encourage you to utilize the Browns' social media channels to engage and interact with Browns fans on the latest news relating to the team. For more on the latest news, visit Clevelandbrowns.com.

-Cleveland Browns Digital Team

I had many friends over here and when the Board split up I tried to post at both but its hard when you don't have the time and I always chosed the Browns Board over this one not out of spite or ego or anything. But cause I'm very loyal and said I would never leave that board.

As for what they think of this board...many don't know about it a lot do. They don't look down on it in any way - I told all good bye and that they can find me here if that is ok with you.

The posting here by far on the whole. Most of the threads are the same title and have the same articles but the discussion is not there - most good posters left cause of the immaturity that is rampant there. I asked the same question there Vers....How many NFL teams do not have a message board.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 07:38 AM
Hmm .... now I'm curious.

I don't see a message board on the Steelers site.

The Ravens do. The Bengals do.

The Dolphins have a section of links to fan and media sites, but I didn't see a message board.

The Jets have a message board. I don't see one on the Patriots board. The Bills have a message board.

The Colts have a board, as do the Titans, Texans, and Jags.

The Broncos have a fan forum. I don't see one on the Chiefs site, or the Chargers site, or the Raiders site.

I'm not going through the NFC though.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 07:43 AM
The Dolphins, Patriots, Steelers, Raiders, Bears, Packers, Vikings, Saints, and Buccaneers don't have a message board that I found on their main site.

So while most teams do have them, it is not unheard of for them not to have them.
Posted By: gage Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 07:48 AM
Steelers had one at one point, and I'm pretty sure the steelers and browns websites use the same framework. The templates are different but the message telling me to turn off my ad blocker looks identical.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 08:14 AM
I have never been nor will ever be shy, HeY Browns please KISS MY ENTIRE ASS
Posted By: ddubia Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 08:36 AM
I'm sure you remember Purp, that the Browns organization has never really supported their message board since the roll-out of the new website back in what, 2006?

I think they invested in and trusted their host partner thinking that a new website would fire up without a hitch. I often thought that the message board was something that came bundled with the new website so they took it as is and shut down DawgTalk, (which had been highly successful), without taking into consideration what a huge undertaking and major change they were getting into.

From it's inception BrownsChat was near impossible to moderate. Emails could not be verified so many members signed up for multiple usernames. Members could not be banned for being disruptive and/or violating the rules because once banned they could simply sign-in under a new user name and continue their mischief.

The FO did not fix those problems with Browns Chat even after months, nay, years of begging for fixes. When they could be reached for comment they sounded sincere, as though they cared. But they ignored the pleas for help.

When that new Official Website went up their concern for a message board was non-existent. Eventually, BrownsChat became a thorn in their side and frankly was at the bottom of their list of concerns.

Hell, they didn't even know that "chat" is something different than a Forum-type message board when they named it. Many of you may remember a contest with the intent of finding a new name for BrownsChat. But that fell by the wayside as it became ever more obvious that the FO was not interested in supporting their own official message board at all.

I'm not surprised in the least that it has been shut down. Right from the beginning it was never given the attention it needed.

My only fear now is that DawgTalkers will become overwhelmed with sheer numbers of the worst of the worst and this place will need to be ready to handle the craziness.

I suggest that everyone here point the incoming hoard toward the Rules of the Pound and self-police the offenders.

Heck, it may even be time for the return of the Nazi Refs.
Posted By: Kingcob Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 08:37 AM
At first I thought you meant our chatroom and I was confused.

The more the merrier. So long as they all pay the five cent posting tax to me
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 11:49 AM
Quote:

The Dolphins, Patriots, Steelers, Raiders, Bears, Packers, Vikings, Saints, and Buccaneers don't have a message board that I found on their main site.

So while most teams do have them, it is not unheard of for them not to have them.

My guess is fewer will over time. I think more will concentrate on the facebook pages and things like that.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 12:52 PM
Quote:

Haslam is starting to look like a freaking jerk!!!! I defended this guy for quite awhile, but he is making one stupid move after another. He is coming across as a scum-sucking parasite who can't accept criticism.

Vers, there comes a time when one needs to just vent and let it out. Stop keeping things bottled up, you could give yourself an ulcer.

Posted By: JulesDawg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 12:56 PM
Quote:

Quote:

if memory serves me correctly... I think this is the 3rd time this has happened over there. in the past 4-5.

Nope, those were different. The board crashed a few times around FA and the draft. Last year's closure was due to a complete screw up and miscommunication. This is the first time they have decided to do away with the message board permanently.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 01:10 PM
Who cares. Poor managed site, top to bottom. I can't even remember the last time I visited clevelandbrowns.com. Their webmasters must be cavemen.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 01:16 PM
Quote:

I've read some of the conspiracy stuff about Banner or Haslam shutting it down. That's a joke.

No, it simply fits our agenda...
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 01:26 PM
J/C
I'm kind of glad that the board shut down last year. It forced me to come here and get some news and read the discussions.

I went back to the old board at the start of the season, but came back here about half way through. I liked commenting on eo's "What I saw" and Vers' "Good/Bad/Ugly."

When Vers left, I started the thread a couple of times, but no one really added anything except for "we suck" or "all ugly". Eo just quit doing "What I saw" because there was nothing but negative posts and no real game talk.

Memphis and Dawg_LB would make a visit on occasion and actually talk football, but that board turned south in a hurry. There was no real discussion about football on there, just a bunch of Wendy Whiners who just talked crap about everything.

I haven't been back since because I like it here.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 08:59 PM
Welcome to any and all new folks who wonder over from Browns Chat.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 09:38 PM
Quote:

Wally wanders when he wonders
Posted By: GoneWithTheDawgs Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 09:48 PM
Well that sucks.

Everyone just got their papers right out of the blue.

At least I dont have to cycle both sites anymore.

Give DT a chance. You may like it.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 11:02 PM
There's been more senseless bickering and condescending remarks lately than one would care to see.
It's all opinion and rather than some of the personal insults it'd be nicer to just see "I disagree" and state your reasons.

I hope more coming over doesn't bring a load of goofs!

There are those on here I agree with and disagree with on MANY things but ultimately I'll stand shoulder to shoulder with my fellow Browns fans any day!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 11:08 PM
Quote:

We all wonder about you sometimes bud.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 11:09 PM
There would be fewer condescending remarks if GM wasn't such a dumb arse.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 11:13 PM
Oh knock off the senseless bickering.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 11:18 PM
Quote:

Cut him some slack. Dawgtalking isn't his native language.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Chat room - 02/25/14 11:26 PM
Quote:

well then, go follow the Bills.....
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Browns Chat room - 02/26/14 03:49 AM
Quote:

There's been more senseless bickering and condescending remarks lately than one would care to see.

Have you spent any time on the BrownsChat board, oldmutt? If you think the bickering is bad here, that board would make you crazy reading through a thread. A lot of the posters were petty and didn't even bring a sound argument to any discussion. It was a lot of the reason that I chose to come here. Some bickering is natural, but over there, it was borderline ridiculous. I would agree that it gets old from one thread to the next, but there is a lot more football discussion here and I'm learning more about the game every time I log on.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Browns Chat room - 02/26/14 12:48 PM
Quote:

... I'm learning more about the game every time I log on.

Yes, same here, WV (is that a German car going backwards?). Also chatting with guys, like yourself, with similar interests...
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/26/14 02:05 PM
Quote:

Quote:

We all wonder about you sometimes bud.

Only sometimes I must be getting better
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/26/14 02:07 PM
Quote:

I am working on becoming more of a smart arse. Bro
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/26/14 02:10 PM
Quote:

Quote:

If ya can't speak english get the hell off the board. Ah GM is a idiot anyway.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns Chat room - 02/26/14 02:21 PM
I started over there and was happy to get in over here.

There's excellent football talk here and some folks know their stuff, share it and it's appreciated.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Browns Chat room - 02/26/14 05:18 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And that anarchy2day fellow is a real piece of work. The IQ level drops every time he posts.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Chat room - 02/26/14 06:40 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And that anarchy2day fellow is a real piece of work. The IQ level drops every time he posts.

Have you noticed a calmness comes over the board with that Damanshot guy posts? Neither have I
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Chat room - 02/26/14 08:08 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Have you noticed a calmness comes over the board with that Damanshot guy posts? Neither have I

Who?

Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/26/14 10:47 PM
It's always GM's fault, at least that's what his wife says
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Chat room - 02/26/14 10:53 PM
Quote:

Well, his wife is really good look ....errr .... smart. I meant smart. lol
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/26/14 11:01 PM
BOTH bro lol
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Browns Chat room - 02/26/14 11:18 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's true, but the real calming forces are Django and Versatile Dawg. They bring more harmony than Coca-Cola.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Browns Chat room - 02/26/14 11:19 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Who?

You know, that ogrish fellow from Aurora.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Chat room - 02/26/14 11:21 PM

Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Browns Chat room - 02/26/14 11:21 PM
Quote:

And she's always correct when she says it.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Browns Chat room - 02/26/14 11:21 PM
Quote:

BOTH bro lol

But that isn't GMDawg's fault.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Browns Chat room - 02/26/14 11:22 PM
Quote:

Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 12:01 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Thats why "yes dear" are the first words out of my mouth when I wake up even if she is still asleep
Posted By: texaslostdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 12:32 AM
Quote:

Quote:

I am working on becoming more of a smart arse. Bro

There are two types of arses in the world, you might as well be the smart one
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 12:53 AM
I would have been years ago buddy but I keep failing the test
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 12:58 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thats why "yes dear" are the first words out of my mouth when I wake up even if she is still asleep

Mine is 'Sorry' as I expel some flatulence.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 04:18 AM
Heck I do that before I wake up
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 05:21 AM
Quote:

Heck I do that before I wake up

Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 05:45 AM
You definitely hit the jackpot, that's for sure.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 12:51 PM
Quote:

Quote:

BOTH bro lol

You are right, it's that Damanshot guys fault.. It's always his fault.. Just ask his wife.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 03:29 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

BOTH bro lol

You are right, it's that Damanshot guys fault.. It's always his fault.. Just ask his wife.

You're not talking about Vers, are you???
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 04:17 PM
I think Browns Chat is getting an unfair wrap. I've posted over there for years and it was like a family between a lot of us over there(even though some were more like the uncle nobody likes, family none the less).
I look forward to discussion both football relalted and not, but claiming "those people..." I've been on here for less than a day and seen not so polite things posted here as well.
I'm saddened that it got closed, but I hope everyone can get together here and all just be "dawgs"
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 04:27 PM
Quote:

Wow, that could take them months
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 05:46 PM
About a year ago, there was a noticeable influx of "new" posters. This is the direct result of the other board temporarily closing. There was a bit of an adjustment due to a number of people that knew and talked to each other before coming into a new board. A handful of those folks stuck around, but many left, and a few left right after a "I'm taking my ball and going home" post.

I think, this board got a couple more large personalities that came over with the group (which is expected), and those guys clashed big-time with the bigger personalities that are already here. You should see some of the threads. Bring your popcorn because you don't see drama like this very often.

Anwyays, many people simply attribute this to BrownsChat sending their jerks over here, when really its just people with big personalities who are all pissed about the state of the Browns.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 06:22 PM
I don't really see it that way. There is one ahhhh "big personality" that was here long before there ever was a Browns Chat. Actually he came to Browns Chat from here.

Some come here and expect everything to go smoothly which it often times does. Others simply post in a manner which is not conducive to orderly discussion. A "reap what you sew" type of thing.

I've seen a lot of newer members which have added to the discussions. I've also seen some who wish to stir the pot and didn't stick around.

Much like moving into a new neighborhood, sometimes the transition is a smooth one, while other times not so much.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 06:31 PM
I thought he came back from Browns Chat last year (I'm talking about Vers, there's really no need to try to be subtle). He was originally from here, but took a long hiatus when he posted over there. When they started to have issues, he came back here full-time.

I remembered him from a couple years ago when I was lurking here, but then didn't see him for a while (but that was the case for a couple of the bigger posters, so maybe I'm confusing him with someone else).

I find Vers either very enlightening or very entertaining (never both at the same time). I like him and hope he sticks around.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 06:54 PM
Quote:

Quote:

or years
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 07:39 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

or years

And a weed whacker.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 08:32 PM
I refuse to return to the ClevelandBrowns.com Brown's Chat. The refs there will suspend you for no reason, say smarta$s comments in the msg to you as to why you're suspended (like "haha it looks like you need a vacation") - so it's all a big joke for them. Sad cause when it did come back, not many ppl returned so why abuse the what small community is there?

Even if they come back after going down again, or whatever, I no longer will contribute there.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 08:39 PM
I was there for 7 years. I only got suspended one time, and it was earned. I got heated in a discussion with my close personal friend Wienerdog (known as Rockdog here) and used a swear word.
I had an issue with one ref there, b/c he was a smart rear, but the rest seems fair and reasonable. One bad apple shouldn't ruin the whole bag.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 08:47 PM
Hey Drunk welcome to THIS forum bro, I'm Dawg_LB from the other forum!

I admit, my first of two suspensions (for profanity) was earned and deserved. Why I got the second week long ban with the childish comment, was not deserved at all as I am aware I didn't post anything remotely able to be classified as profanity. Heck, there wasn't much posting going on ANYWAY cause like, four people were visiting the forums, LOL! Ah well!
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 09:06 PM
I was here when this WAS THE OTHER BOARD...then there was a take over of the board and this was the off shoot or the one actually that stayed the same and that one BROWNS CHAT became the new board.

I always thought the Browns official site was the one we should have great discussion with...then half the poster came here...the other half stayed. What people don't get there is a big time silent majority on that board.

Unfortunately more n more the NOT SO SILENT MINORITY started getting sillier n sillier which drove away a lot of good posters. Some would ask me where...I always told them dawgtalkers... I never left Dawgtalkers but I had long bouts of can't post in two places so let me concentrate on Brown's Chat. Usually coinciding with a Banishment.
I never really had a problem with refs and yes I was banished. Once in a blue moon I would lose me temper and get bounced. Here as well as there.

I think it closed 3 times? All having to do with getting a host...renewing the contract or changing some formatting. Now this where the contract extension ran out. They probably looked at the traffic after the Chud firing...UH DUH nobody is coming here???

So this once again has become my Main home not a vacation home...lol

I still got more posts than a lot of you

But the last year or so without a doubt better Football PURE FOOTBALL on this board than Browns Chat...some days I really thought I was in Romper Room.

Thanks PPE Hope this benefits you greatly as you deserve it!
Posted By: Kingcob Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 09:41 PM
Last year some forum shutdown and it brought over some smart dudes. Unfortunately those dudes decided to continue their non-dawgtalker squabbles for about two months over here and it nearly drove me insane

To anyone new to this forum, you can thank Prpl (crank yanker guy) for having this forum up. It is a recreation of the original clevelandbrowns.com forum before it went all crummy and we jettisoned to freedom with our fearless webmaster. I really should post more. I came on board at the tail end of the great potato wars
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 10:17 PM
Quote:

... the great potato wars

OK, but well before my time here. Can anyone fill me in as this is at least the second reference to it...thanks, guys.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 10:51 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

BOTH bro lol

Is she a Browns fan that posts messages here? I'll ask.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Browns Chat room - 02/27/14 10:53 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Chat room - 02/28/14 12:07 AM
JC

I was on the Browns site when it was more or less this site, then moved here, but still posted over there every now and then to keep in touch with a few who didn't make the move.

Welcome everybody.

Looks like I am a member of 2 sites...this, and The Browns Board. There may be a couple of others long forgotten....OB Report....whatever site Duneden started....I forget now.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Browns Chat room - 02/28/14 12:25 AM
There have been various board over the years….here's what I remember:

Dawg Talk was the original official board of the Browns (which is what this one is modeled after).

Browns Chat was the second board of the Browns (which has stunk from the get-go. why they ever changed from DT is beyond me. I know the reasons they gave, but they were dead wrong).

Then you have the boards run by fans:

The Darkside - nothing to say about that one.

Digital Dawgs (RIP) - the board started by BrownsBabe.

DawgTalkers - where you are currently reading, founded by Purp.

There were a few others that tried to start forums when the original Dawg Talk was changed to Browns Chat, but I don't know if they still exist. Most people seemed to migrate here to DawgTalkers and have stayed. The "issue" with SOME of the guys coming over from BrownsChat seems to be that they really have no idea how to communicate well with others.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Chat room - 02/28/14 01:42 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

or years

And a weed whacker.

Hedge Hog,, yeah, that's the ticket
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Chat room - 02/28/14 01:44 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

BOTH bro lol

Actually, shes way to smart to do anything like post here
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/28/14 01:46 AM
Quote:

Hedge Hog,, yeah, that's the ticket

Maybe a chainsaw
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Chat room - 02/28/14 01:48 AM
Quote:

I refuse to return to the ClevelandBrowns.com Brown's Chat. The refs there will suspend you for no reason, say smarta$s comments in the msg to you as to why you're suspended (like "haha it looks like you need a vacation") - so it's all a big joke for them. Sad cause when it did come back, not many ppl returned so why abuse the what small community is there?

Even if they come back after going down again, or whatever, I no longer will contribute there.

I don't think you will get the opportunity to return.. Frankly, since the original DT's board was over there, it' never been as good.,

Purp saved the day and for that, we should all be thankful..
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Chat room - 02/28/14 01:52 AM
Quote:

I was there for 7 years. I only got suspended one time, and it was earned. I got heated in a discussion with my close personal friend Wienerdog (known as Rockdog here) and used a swear word.
I had an issue with one ref there, b/c he was a smart rear, but the rest seems fair and reasonable. One bad apple shouldn't ruin the whole bag.

I don't remember when I signed up over there,, it was a while ago. But I think it was September of 06 that they screwed up that board and I moved here.

I think I've been back there a couple of times, but for the most part, I didn't like the style of the board at all.. so I just didn't spend any time there.

As for being banned, it's happened to me. If I had to guess, it's about to happen again soon for my mission to make a certain poster explain his comments.. we'll see. But for the most part, each time I've been banned, I've deserved it..

I took it and returned when allowed to do so..
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Browns Chat room - 02/28/14 04:45 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

BOTH bro lol

Actually, shes way to smart to do anything like post here

Yeah, sounds like it. My wife is a Cowboys fan. Not sure how that happened. She's from New York. Although my brother (yeah, my real brother), goes by the handle Voleur, does post from time-to-time. Curiously, he's also a Cowboys fan although he likes the Browns too.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/28/14 07:59 AM
j/c

I came here after The Hack that initially closed down the official site.

It was months later, but I found Prp's site, after watching the entire 'defection discussion' go down on the original DawgTalk site. Some Dawgs thought he couldn't do it- and predicted failure. LMAO at them, whoever they were (it was too long ago, and I don't care enough to name names...)

Prp rules the internet!

Bottom line: 'Dawg Talk' was the first place I ever considered "home" when I first started interacting online... and Prp's site is still the embodiment of that place and time when I first became a member of a Browns community... my original community.

True, it has grown and morphed with the contributions of so many others... but the heart and soul of This Place still rests in the words of so many I have come to know from many years past.

This is the very thing I'm thinking of, when I talk about 'culture' in my Pure Football posts. We've somehow managed to do something that has eluded the team which brought us all together. A combination of Old Vets and Fresh Blood has kept this site thriving... as the 'official' site limps into obscurity.

I love this place.

It's 'home'... even when members of My Family p!$$ me off.

Nothing's tighter than 'Family.'
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Browns Chat room - 02/28/14 08:52 AM
Quote:

J/C
I'm kind of glad that the board shut down last year. It forced me to come here and get some news and read the discussions.

I agree, I've been a member since DawgTalk the first board, (I've never posted much, just read everyone's discussions, same on this board), then migrated to their new board. Once the Browns Chat went down last year, I came here…was nice to see a bunch of people that post that I haven't seen/read in awhile. After the board went back up, I've preferred just staying here.

To me, the discussions are more interesting (a lot of good posters) and also like the layout a lot better. Also enjoyed hanging out this past year in the DT chat during the games talking with Damanshot, Mourg and others.

So Purp/Mvp thanks for the board!
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Browns Chat room - 02/28/14 02:53 PM
Quote:

Prp rules the internet! ....I love this place.

Yes, he most certainly does! Many thanks, Prpl...
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns Chat room - 02/28/14 04:52 PM
I know I am thankful for Purple and this forum.

Posted By: MrTed Re: Browns Chat room - 02/28/14 05:09 PM
Quote:

This is the very thing I'm thinking of, when I talk about 'culture' in my Pure Football posts. We've somehow managed to do something that has eluded the team which brought us all together. A combination of Old Vets and Fresh Blood has kept this site thriving... as the 'official' site limps into obscurity.

That right there is why when football came back to Cleveland it came back as the Browns, and all our history came with it.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 02/28/14 07:49 PM
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Chat room - 03/01/14 07:37 PM
Quote:

No question about it.. he saved the day..
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Chat room - 03/01/14 10:12 PM
Poor Browns Chat is now a read only forum, and will probably vanish completely fairly soon.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Chat room - 03/01/14 10:34 PM
Quote:

Poor Browns Chat is now a read only forum, and will probably vanish completely fairly soon.

One might say it is the end of an ERROR

Pun intended LOL

Honestly, its too bad.. It was once a great place to go, but now this has completely taken over.
Posted By: Loki Re: Browns Chat room - 03/02/14 12:51 AM
Quote:

As am I. I never liked the new Brownschat (and thankfully they choose a new name) and felt this place was just better. How many years is it before you get that jacket?
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns Chat room - 03/02/14 02:00 AM
Quote:

Honestly, its too bad.. It was once a great place to go,

When was that?
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Browns Chat room - 03/02/14 02:16 AM
Quote:

It was once a great place to go

Not really. I wish I would have found this forum before that one. I would have learned a lot more over the 3+ years I wasted on that forum reading senseless bickering from one thread to the next. Yes, this forum has some of it, too, but there is still a lot of football talk here. I won't be leaving anytime soon. Thanks, Purple, you gained a new fan over the last year!!
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Browns Chat room - 03/02/14 03:27 AM
Quote:

Quote:

When was that?

When it was DawgTalk.
Posted By: BrownsBabe Re: Browns Chat room - 03/02/14 04:46 AM
Quote:

Aaaaaaaaand, it's gone. *poof*
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Chat room - 03/02/14 04:59 AM
Nah, it's still there ...... just read only.

It usually takes a few days for all of the administrative garbage to finish up, and URL directions to expire and such.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Chat room - 03/02/14 05:16 AM
Quote:

Quote:

When was that?

Did I say that?

I can't find it if I did. However, if I did, then I meant back in th Dawg Talk days ...... but I really don't recall, or see, where I said that.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns Chat room - 03/02/14 06:05 AM
Oops! That was daman's quote, not yours. The question still stands, though. I've always found that place to be a poor excuse of a message board.
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Browns Chat room - 03/02/14 06:06 AM
sick and tired of their cheaparses screwing over the fans. It's an embarrassment that they can't even maintain a simple forum. I been on these forums since they all began. I am grateful for this site so don't get me wrong.

Still there is something to be said for going to the official website and going to the official forums. That forum had its headaches and favoritism same as this one does. still I enjoyed being able to go to both. just so friggen pissed off K
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Chat room - 03/02/14 06:34 AM
Quote:

Oops! That was daman's quote, not yours. The question still stands, though. I've always found that place to be a poor excuse of a message board.

Thank goodness! I thought that I was missing something. lol
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Browns Chat room - 03/02/14 06:40 AM
The official site isn't much to write home about. It's filled with fluff articles. The only saving grace is the video content. Rob Ryan's pressers were always a blast listening to. I'll admit I haven't watched any of them since he left.

Here we post a plethora of articles from a myriad of sources. I'm guessing the same happened on the official board.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Browns Chat room - 03/02/14 05:39 PM
Quote:

The question still stands, though. I've always found that place to be a poor excuse of a message board.

Like I said…Dawg Talk.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Browns Chat room - 03/02/14 06:51 PM
The faults of the old site were referres who seemed to quash things far too quickly (or ban people - example: I was once banned for using the "s" word when Chip Kelly played his games with us during Chud's hire). Free speech? Clearly not there. The ref said it was because "minors use the site". Ummm...walk out on a school playground and you will hear far worse language in a much more hateful way!

Also, there was often FAR too many petty arguments and bickering. At times it seemed more of a place for Browns fans to argue with one another or try to "one up" others with either their perceived football knowledge or through childish insults.

There will ALWAYS be people who know (or think they know) more than others...there is no reason to belittle or insult though. Disagreements? Sure, that is natural but again, no need for arrogance or snobbish attitudes. I saw that a lot on the old site.

Seeing some of the same names from that old site I am assuming this one has now become the "official" fan board?
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Chat room - 03/02/14 07:08 PM
Quote:

Seeing some of the same names from that old site I am assuming this one has now become the "official" fan board?

LOL,, Not sure the Browns would like to hear that this is the official board but I guess if they are shutting down their board, what can they really say?

Anyway, this is a place that will have bickering.. no question. Most times it's about differences of opinion on football matters. But sometimes, it can get very personal. Sadly, I've been involved in a few of those. Some I regret, others not even a little.

But more than anything else, this is a place (and always has been) where you can come and talk about what a great game the Browns had, or how horrible they played. About the Draft, or FA's. You can usually find the latest news about the team here because you have several hundred folks scouring the various sites and reporting it back here.

Enjoy,,, and Welcome.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Browns Chat room - 03/02/14 07:18 PM
Quote:

The faults of the old site were referres who seemed to quash things far too quickly (or ban people - example: I was once banned for using the "s" word when Chip Kelly played his games with us during Chud's hire). Free speech? Clearly not there. The ref said it was because "minors use the site". Ummm...walk out on a school playground and you will hear far worse language in a much more hateful way!

Not sure what the "s" word is….the cuss word for poop? You can't use that word here, either, FYI. If you want to post on a board where you can swear, go find one. Trust me, I pretty much have a swear word in every sentence in real life at times, but I don't want to read it on a forum. Different strokes.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Browns Chat room - 03/02/14 07:38 PM
Sure can't use it here. I got a 10 day ban for using that word. Didn't even know it was considered a banned word here at the time.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Chat room - 03/02/14 07:55 PM
Really? well sh ..........oot.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Browns Chat room - 03/02/14 08:27 PM
Quote:

this is a place (and always has been) where you can come and talk about what a great game the Browns had, or how horrible they played. About the Draft, or FA's. You can usually find the latest news about the team here because you have several hundred folks scouring the various sites and reporting it back here.

Thank you for the welcome. The quoted text above is exactly WHY I visit sites like this.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Browns Chat room - 03/02/14 08:35 PM
Quote:

If you want to post on a board where you can swear, go find one. Trust me, I pretty much have a swear word in every sentence in real life at times, but I don't want to read it on a forum. Different strokes.

I don't need a board to swear on, thank you. BUT, I do believe that sometimes these words warrant their use. If they are overused they lose their power and meaning. At the time, to describe the Chip Kelly situation as "what a poop show this has become" has far less weight than how I did write it (and sounds like an elementary school kid wrote it).

But, hey...whatever. I certainly didnt lose sleep over it nor do I need my hands slapped again. I had enough of that when I was in school.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Browns Chat room - 03/02/14 08:42 PM
I'm just telling you how it works. Can't say it here, either. It's not about the Refs on the old board…it's about the rules on most of these boards.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns Chat room - 03/02/14 08:56 PM
My neighbor's Shihtzu loves shitake mushrooms.
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns Chat room - 03/02/14 10:42 PM

Shidder's full, Merry Christmas!
Posted By: savagedawgs Re: Browns Chat room - 03/03/14 01:50 AM
Greatest Christmas movie ever!
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Chat room - 03/03/14 03:01 AM
Quote:

Amen!
Posted By: MrTed Re: Browns Chat room - 03/03/14 04:37 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Amen!

I beg to differ!!!! It's A Wonderful Life!!!! Greatest Christmas Movie EVER!!!!
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Browns Chat room - 03/03/14 04:57 AM
You're both wrong.

Posted By: PDR Re: Browns Chat room - 03/03/14 05:31 AM
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Browns Chat room - 03/03/14 05:48 AM
Posted By: texaslostdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 03/03/14 01:33 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Amen!

I beg to differ!!!! It's A Wonderful Life!!!! Greatest Christmas Movie EVER!!!!

A close second, but the best is "A Christmas Carol" with George C Scott as Scrooge.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Chat room - 03/03/14 04:18 PM
Sorry... I gotta go with Billy Bob Thornton in Bad Santa.
Posted By: savagedawgs Re: Browns Chat room - 03/03/14 04:19 PM
Nope number 1 than you have ooooohhh fudge! But I didn't say fudge A Christmas Story!
Posted By: MrTed Re: Browns Chat room - 03/03/14 05:51 PM
I always found the George C Scott version to be a weak imitation of the Alistair Sim version. But it has been growing on me.

However I would still prefer the Captain Picard version over the Scott version.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 03/03/14 06:26 PM
BUH HUMBUG
Posted By: DonCoyote Re: Browns Chat room - 03/03/14 11:40 PM
Thanks tor dawgtalkers for welcoming us! My 2nd time around here.

If Haslam can't afford to keep the "official" board running, I guess I know how free agency is going to go...

"Build through the draft"
"We're not going to win the Super Bowl"
"We're not going 13-3"
"Long-term...."
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Chat room - 03/04/14 12:02 AM
Quote:

Thanks tor dawgtalkers for welcoming us! My 2nd time around here.

If Haslam can't afford to keep the "official" board running, I guess I know how free agency is going to go...

"Build through the draft"
"We're not going to win the Super Bowl"
"We're not going 13-3"
"Long-term...."

Welcome,, But I doubt one has anyting to do with the other. There has got to be another reason for them dumping the board.. I just don't know what it is.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 03/04/14 02:05 AM
It's called stupidity bro
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Chat room - 03/04/14 11:59 AM
Quote:

It's called stupidity bro

They had it made in the shade GM.. Remember when we would go to camp. They'd reserve a section for us, give us prizes.. Remember the one year we got VIP passes and were allowed to get some free food and drink in the tent up by the building.. wow, that was a great time. Hell they even referred to it as Dawgtalk day...LOL

They literally had us eating out of their hands. Not only were we fans of the team, but we were loving the treatment.

then they just blew us off like dust on an old piece of furniture.. From that point on, I had little respect for people that had little respect for the fans they say are the best fans in the land.

I'd have hoped that Haslam would have made the fans a priority but at least from the standpoint of a message board, his bunch of guys failed.

I don't really blame him personally however. He's a guy with a ton of garbage on his back. He can't possibly know every little detail of what goes on.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Chat room - 03/04/14 02:37 PM
I was a Ref on the old (original) board for a while, and we had a guy in charge there, who was incredibly helpful. The Refs had his email, and his cell phone number, and his permission to contact him any time we needed. We actually got to meet with him in Berea, which was cool.

Then, of course, as happens with really good people, he got promoted. I seem to recall that it was the next guy who set the "Browns Chat" board in place. I had quit as a Ref at that point.

As far as Haslam, I doubt that he even knows that the site used to have a message board. He might see an overall budget for the site itself, but that's almost certainly about it.
Posted By: texaslostdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 03/04/14 02:44 PM
Quote:

I always found the George C Scott version to be a weak imitation of the Alistair Sim version. But it has been growing on me.

IDK, I keep waiting for him to say "make it so"

and for me nothing is better than GCS at the gravesite with the gohst of Xmas future or whaever the hell he is called,
Posted By: Damanshot Re: BrpÜns Chat room - 03/04/14 03:12 PM
Quote:

I was a Ref on the old (original) board for a while, and we had a ¸D%L^ c·P. RIthere, who was incredibly helpful. The Refs had his email, and his cell phone number, and his permission to contact him any time we needed. We actually got to meet with him in Berea, which was cool.

Then, of course, as happens with really good people, he got promoted. I seem to recall that it was the next guy who set the "Browns Chat" bo~Ùd in place. I had quit as a Ref at that point.

As far as Haslam, I doubt that he even knows that the site used to have a message board. He might see an overall budget for the site itself, but that's almost certainly about it.

I wasn't a ref or anything but I did get to meet a guy that worked for the browns when they had one of the Dawgtalk days.. Nice kid, tried to do his best for us (this is as things•½ ¹™woǹ µ×g) but frankly, V‹got the feeling his hands were tied and he could not do what he felt was right. there were some kinda prizes that were awarded.. not sure how that worked. But it seemed as if he had one hell of a time getting the Browns to shell out for the prizes. seemed odd.

Anyway, their loss. They had the chance to really make something special out of that board and all they did is take the pooch out back and did the nasÅ"¡XIitJ€`§F>
Say Luv E LOL
Posted By: Riley01 Re: Browns Chat room - 03/04/14 03:18 PM
Im just wondering who footed the bill for the one [chatroom] that just shutdown?
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Browns Chat room - 03/04/14 03:44 PM
The message board…Browns Chat? The Browns organization.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns Chat room - 03/04/14 03:52 PM
I really can't see the subscription or whatever required to keep the Browns Chat up and running being maybe the cost of a single sold, nosebleed ticket at the stadium.

Or the profit from selling four beers at the stadium. It's quite shameful that they either A. won't pay it to keep it alive or B. won't find an alternate, free system to use which there are MANY out there.

Either or, pathetic.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Chat room - 03/04/14 04:44 PM
j/c

I haven't posted there in a very long time. When I did it wasn't often. I simply didn't like the format or lack of features on the board.

But I wonder what the tone of things were there? Was there far more negativity about coaching changes and FO overhaul than positive comments?

I have no idea. But it would make sense that if people decided to come to a message board and saw mainly negative comments, that a corporation may not find it appealing to make a continuing investment in bad press.

If you look at how the press ran with the 'Three stooges" comment, would it be in the Browns best interest to help pay for media fodder?

Just something that crossed my mind and wondering. Maybe those coming here from there could help me out with the general mood of things over there?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Browns Chat room - 03/04/14 05:44 PM
I came from there and there wasn't really a "mood". Everyone had their own thoughts and opinions on EVERYTHING. Some were optomistic, some were pessimistic, and most were somewhere in between.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Chat room - 03/04/14 06:05 PM
Quote:

I came from there and there wasn't really a "mood". Everyone had their own thoughts and opinions on EVERYTHING. Some were optomistic, some were pessimistic, and most were somewhere in between.

I'd say that things differ from person to person if they see that as something positive to pay for or negative to pay for. Alec Scheiner or others within the organization may see such things as a liability more than an asset.

I have no idea. That's pure speculation and conjecture on my part. But someone made the call and I'm certain they had their reasoning. What that reasoning was is anybody's guess.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns Chat room - 03/04/14 06:09 PM
When they first went down last year (when I first signed up here) - there wasn't even coaching firing rumors or etc. It's just a case of bad planning/implementation/organization.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Chat room - 03/04/14 06:28 PM
Quote:

When they first went down last year (when I first signed up here) - there wasn't even coaching firing rumors or etc. It's just a case of bad planning/implementation/organization.

But wasn't it reported this time that the close would be permanent? I mean from what I have gathered, this time it was planned to close it down for good.

Maybe I got it all wrong....
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Chh¥ room - 03/04/14 06:42 PM
No problem. I don't really even know why I care to be honest. I can just see the possibility that they may not have wanted to actually pay for something that may not be flattering to the team.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Chat room - 03/04/14 07:04 PM
Quote:

I really can't see the subscription or whatever required to keep the Browns Chat up and running being maybe the cost of a single sold, nosebleed ticket at the stadium.

Either or, pathetic.

I'd guess that money wasn' t the issue but if it was, it's more than just simply paying for the URL and site development. You have ongoing costs to maintaiA"the site, update the site, I'm sure there is costs that I'm not aware of and then you have the staff to monitor it. (Not speaking of the Refs who I think were volunteers)

In the overall scheme of things, it's not even a hill of beans. I'm pretty sure money isn't what caused the demise of that board. JMO of course
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 03/04/14 07:57 PM
Quote:

Im just wondering who footed the bill for the one [chatroom] that just shutdown?

The Cleveland Browns. I have no clue what it cost them but I would bet it cost them less to have that message board for 14 years than they pay out to the coaches they fired for one week..
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Chat room - 03/04/14 11:42 PM
I guarantee that the annual hosting fees for it were less than any individual in their media department makes in a week.
Money definitely was not a deciding factor in it being shut down. There is zero chance of that. My guess is that the new people in that department just didn't feel like dealing with it any longer. Additionally, I would suspect that given their prompting of folks to follow them on social media sites, I suspect that they just don't see or understand the value in a message board and they think that Facebook and Twitter are suitable substitutes for community building.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Chat room - 03/05/14 12:32 AM
Quote:

I guarantee that the annual hosting fees for it were less than any individual in their media department makes in a week.
Money definitely was not a deciding factor in it being shut down. There is zero chance of that. My guess is that the new people in that department just didn't feel like dealing with it any longer. Additionally, I would suspect that given their prompting of folks to follow them on social media sites, I suspect that they just don't see or understand the value in a message board and they think that Facebook and Twitter are suitable substitutes for community building.

I agree....Not only did it need moderation, but someone had to be moderating moderators to make sure they were moderating to some standard....which means reading every post.....or many

If a F Bomb got past you or one of your Mods....no real big deal here.....a oops......on the official site, it could be a big deal.

I understand why they decided to dump a message board.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Browns Chat room - 03/05/14 12:42 AM
Very doubtful anyone was moderating the mods.

Edited to add: In fact, they weren't.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Chat room - 03/05/14 12:47 AM
Quote:

Cool......even more reason to eliminate the board.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Browns Chat room - 03/05/14 12:51 AM
That makes no sense….but okay.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Chat room - 03/05/14 02:38 AM
In all honesty, how long would it take for the person in charge to log in twice a day and do a search of particularly objectionable words? 2 minutes? I am sure they had to have had word filters set up as well. I doubt that anyone from the Browns had to do much.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Browns Chat room - 03/05/14 03:07 AM
Right…but I'm just doubting they checked in a couple times a day. The Refs were pretty trusted, I think. After all, most had been around longer than any person in the front office. LOL
Posted By: MrTed Re: Browns Chat room - 03/05/14 03:48 AM
Quote:

Quote:

IDK, I keep waiting for him to say "make it so"

and for me nothing is better than GCS at the gravesite with the gohst of Xmas future or whaever the hell he is called,

Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come! I'm with ya on the Picard thing too, that one had to grow on me as well.

But as I said, Alistair Sim is the Scrooge to measure all Scrooges by. Highly recommend it!

By the way, I think we should stop talking about Christmas for a few months. MAYBE IT'LL START TO WARM UP THEN!
Posted By: Referee2 Re: Browns Chat room - 03/05/14 11:45 AM
Quote:

In all honesty, how long would it take for the person in charge to log in twice a day and do a search of particularly objectionable words? 2 minutes? I am sure they had to have had word filters set up as well. I doubt that anyone from the Browns had to do much.

Yes they had word filters. The guys in the front office never checked in on the board. They had no clue and didn't even care. Over the years we had several people who put a lot of effort into making that message board great, but the last several guys in charge just acted like they didn't want to be bothered with it, or that it was beneath them.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Chat room - 03/05/14 12:39 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Yes they had word filters. The guys in the front office never checked in on the board. They had no clue and didn't even care. Over the years we had several people who put a lot of effort into making that message board great, but the last several guys in charge just acted like they didn't want to be bothered with it, or that it was beneath them.

Not that I really care because I have no need to go back there (if it existed that is) But that's short sighted.

A message board is one of the best ways to get "COMPLETE" information out to the fans.

On Twitter and facebook you get sound bites and you don't even know what's true or not, on here you have a forum to get the entire story out. They misused the board and they blew it.

But that's just my opinion. FWIW
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns Chat room - 03/05/14 02:42 PM
JC

Either way you want to slice the pie about the old board, for me - I'll miss it as much as I'll miss Davone Bess.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Chat room - 03/05/14 04:47 PM
Quote:

JC

Either way you want to slice the pie about the old board, for me - I'll miss it as much as I'll miss Davone Bess.

What flavor of Pie?
Posted By: brownsdog Re: Browns Chat room - 03/06/14 06:04 AM
Quote:

First time they ever said the words "PERMANENTLY" and its a sticky at the top with post #1 from the BROWNS TEAM. Now thanks for being loyal fans or anything just come visit the media section they supply and force feed and oh yeah buy things...lol

This is why I love this board... Yo'all Funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 03/06/14 05:17 PM
Quote:

Quote:

JC

What flavor of Pie?

Chocolate... the "other" chocolate...

Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns Chat room - 03/06/14 05:27 PM
The 3.14159 flavor of "pie",
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 03/06/14 05:39 PM
I see what you did there-

+1
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Chat room - 03/06/14 06:06 PM
When they first announced ending the Chat forum. I emailed them and said - Hey if they wish I can get a PRIVATELY ran Browns message board to link in if they wanted...lol

thus putting Dawgtalk back as the original message board but ran by PPE if he wanted.

But they never got back to me. I did also ask, "just curious but are the Browns the only team now without a message board." " Is it wise to do cut off the fans at this junction of disarray?"

But did it all nicely...I should have done it in purple....lol
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Chat room - 03/06/14 06:09 PM
Quote:

I see what you did there-

+1

LOL Dense is my middle name, I have no idea what he did there
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Chat room - 03/06/14 06:27 PM
Damansdensehot?

Or... Dadensemanshot?

Posted By: Tulsa Re: Browns Chat room - 03/06/14 06:29 PM
I think we should just be glad Ice Cream doesn't have a mathematical value.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Chat room - 03/06/14 07:22 PM
It does! Have you ever seen the prices at Baskin Robbins?

Posted By: Tulsa Re: Browns Chat room - 03/07/14 12:11 AM
Quote:

It does! Have you ever seen the prices at Baskin Robbins?

and why we go down the rocky road less traveled.
Posted By: sk8termom Re: Browns Chat room - 03/11/14 12:18 AM
Quote:

Steelers had one at one point, and I'm pretty sure the steelers and browns websites use the same framework. The templates are different but the message telling me to turn off my ad blocker looks identical.

Steelers had one until a couple of years ago. It crashed a lot, and wasn't used very much. There are many alternate forums at various websites.
Posted By: kingodawg Re: Browns Chat room - 03/11/14 12:39 AM
Quote:

You mean back in the day no one was moderating Shep? Who would have thunk it?
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 03/11/14 12:42 AM
Way Back in the day the Browns did monitor it.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Chat room - 03/11/14 04:21 AM
Quote:

Quote:

You mean back in the day no one was moderating Shep? Who would have thunk it?

Actually, the 1st 2 people from the Browns New Media department that I worked with as a Ref were fantastic.

The 3rd guy was a big downgrade, and the start of the downward spiral of that board. It was either that guy, or his successor, who replaced Dawg Talk with that mess that had been in place for the past 7 or so years, and who made all kinds of promises, like a contest for naming the board ....... and so on, that never materialized. I know that the Refs who were active at that point were frustrated, and that frustration grew over the years. .

However, when the boards started, they were very important to the Browns, and were treated as such.
Posted By: franklin77 Re: Browns Chat room - 03/15/14 08:39 PM
I was always a reader and rarely a poster at the official browns chat and it's predecessor Dawg Talk. I had already registered here but I guess I will be a ghost in the background here now instead of over there:)
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Chat room - 03/15/14 11:36 PM
Quote:

I was always a reader and rarely a poster at the official browns chat and it's predecessor Dawg Talk. I had already registered here but I guess I will be a ghost in the background here now instead of over there:)

Welcome but maybe you should change your handle to Casper LOL
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Browns Chat room - 03/18/14 01:52 AM
The official cleveland browns dot come message board didn't have a lot of traffic. I personally think the mods were way too quick to suspend people there, so fans would get discouraged and frequent other boards instead.

I used to call that board "the most over-moderated message board on the planet." When I first joined I would get suspended all the time, usually for cussing. After awhile I finally figured it out and hadn't got suspended for a few years. I posted there all the time. THEY LOVED ME. lol.

I slowly started jumping ship about a month before it closed down due to the lack of people posting there.

I really liked the layout there. It was very simple; basic. 'Standard.' Home.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Browns Chat room - 03/18/14 12:54 PM
I once got suspended for typing **** instead of the s-word. After that I knew I needed to find a new forum.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Chat room - 03/18/14 01:26 PM
Quote:

What's really funny about that is that the reason this board looks and operates the way it does is because most from the original board on the main site liked this format better. So when the Browns revamped that board in September 2006 Purp put this board up and quite a few of us jumped over here.

I think I remember most folks saying they hated the new format over there and loved t his one..

ironic isn't it LOL
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Browns Chat room - 03/18/14 01:40 PM
Pretty funny you broke the rule on purpose. What else would you expect? They should've let you go because you used masked profanity instead of profanity?!
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Browns Chat room - 03/18/14 02:53 PM
Quote:

Pretty funny you broke the rule on purpose. What else would you expect? They should've let you go because you used masked profanity instead of profanity?!

I guess that's one way to look at censoring, but usually masked profanity is something like "d@mn" or something that's vaguely masked.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 03/18/14 05:08 PM
Quote:

Quote:

What's really funny about that is that the reason this board looks and operates the way it does is because most from the original board on the main site liked this format better. So when the Browns revamped that board in September 2006 Purp put this board up and quite a few of us jumped over here.

I think I remember most folks saying they hated the new format over there and loved t his one..

ironic isn't it LOL

It wasn't the format that sent me packing....
...it was the 'quality' of the posts that came with the new names.

It was as if the entire board got overrun with snarky 10th-graders....

I posted maybe 3 times before I felt like I needed a shower. Sent a PM to one of the Olde School posters, who directed me here. I never went back.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns Chat room - 03/18/14 06:37 PM
JC

I am glad I am not the only one who felt the Refs there were very quick to ban and etc. Especially in my case of knowing I didn't push, press or violate of their rules.

Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Chat room - 03/18/14 06:48 PM
LOL

After the change in format, I didn't stay long enough or go back often enough to see the Refs being overly penalizing! So for me, it's because I just couldn't stand the look.

Very "white room" looking.. I had to make my escape quickly LOL
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Browns Chat room - 03/18/14 11:09 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I guess that's one way to look at censoring, but usually masked profanity is something like "d@mn" or something that's vaguely masked.

You typed *****. How is that not masked profanity? Seriously asking...
Posted By: JulesDawg Re: Browns Chat room - 03/18/14 11:20 PM
If everybody knows what the word is, it's still masked profanity. It probably wouldn't fly here either.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Browns Chat room - 03/19/14 12:00 AM
Yeah, that was my point…but apparently Centerville High doesn't agree.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Browns Chat room - 03/19/14 12:04 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You typed *****. How is that not masked profanity? Seriously asking...

Because it's usually known as censoring. I really don't see bleeping out a word on TV as masked profanity, and I view it as the same.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Browns Chat room - 03/19/14 12:06 AM
Okay. Whatever works for you. Good luck when you do it here.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Browns Chat room - 03/19/14 12:48 AM
Quote:

I once got suspended for typing **** instead of the s-word. After that I knew I needed to find a new forum.

I got suspended a couple of time for 'spreading rumors.' Both "rumors" turned out to be true, but they said they were from "unreliable sources." Hmmmmmmm. Does unreliable sources include Mary Kay Cabot? P.S. Sorry! lol
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 03/19/14 01:18 AM
If it was mary kay on twitter it would not have been allowed, hell twitter was not allowed here either until recently.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Browns Chat room - 03/19/14 02:40 AM
Quote:

Quote:

I got suspended a couple of time for 'spreading rumors.' Both "rumors" turned out to be true, but they said they were from "unreliable sources." Hmmmmmmm. Does unreliable sources include Mary Kay Cabot? P.S. Sorry! lol

If there's no link, they are considered unreliable sources. Imagine these boards with nothing but "my friend who knows someone that knows someone who knows another guy said"….oh, how fun.
Posted By: ddubia Re: Browns Chat room - 03/19/14 02:11 PM
Or even, "I heard on ESPN..." which is specifically disallowed as per the Rules of the Pound but is often posted here as part of a discussion.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Chat room - 03/19/14 03:08 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If there's no link, they are considered unreliable sources. Imagine these boards with nothing but "my friend who knows someone that knows someone who knows another guy said"….oh, how fun.

My brother has a friend who's uncle said that his cousin knows that Michelle is always right......

Wise man that one
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Browns Chat room - 03/19/14 03:10 PM
Like I said….you need CREDIBLE links.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Chat room - 03/19/14 03:11 PM
Quote:

Like I said….you need CREDIBLE links.

Ok,, I made it up LOL
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Browns Chat room - 03/19/14 03:13 PM
Well, yeah…I know…'cuz it's a RUMOR, not truth.
Posted By: BpG Re: Browns Chat room - 03/19/14 03:15 PM
I just tweeted those clowns at the Browns how disgraceful it is to go from one of the worst boards in the league to none at all.....AGAIN.

I stopped going over there after the last time they shut it down, because I just had a feeling it wasn't going to last.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 03/19/14 03:21 PM
So basically we are getting that other Boards " Refugees "
Posted By: BpG Re: Browns Chat room - 03/19/14 03:32 PM
We're all refugees.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns Chat room - 03/19/14 03:37 PM
Quote:

So basically we are getting that other Boards " Refugees "

Lol, speaking for myself but I've been here a year now so no longer am I a refugee, but I am a citizen lmao...
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Browns Chat room - 03/19/14 03:39 PM
Quote:

We're all refugees.

But, Tom Petty says you don't have to LIVE like a refugee.

Posted By: waterdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 03/19/14 03:48 PM
Funny , or maybe not so funny how time slips by .. I remember when I registers on the OLD original board with Diam and all the OLD gang .. There where accusations about the Click and all .. Boy we had some dussie harangues on that board ..Then they came in and changed the whole thing .. Chris came riding in on the White Charger and saved us " I'll save you Nell " .. Time sure fly's when your a Browns fan .
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Browns Chat room - 03/19/14 03:49 PM
Quote:

Well, yeah…I know…'cuz it's a RUMOR, not truth.

Posting a rumor about a pastor drowning while trying to walk on water like Jesus was allowed.
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: Browns Chat room - 03/19/14 03:51 PM
I've been here since this board opened. Never had any urge to go to the 'official' site.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 03/19/14 10:39 AM
Quote:

Chris came riding in on the White Charger and saved us " I'll save you Nell "

Mah Hero!
[flutters eyelashes]
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Chat room - 03/21/14 05:42 PM
Clem that might have been me that sent you here...I've sent several.

BPG true we all are refugees of the Browns board. Just at different times.

I didn't think the refs over Mod...same here and I've been tossed from both.

Heck it use to be very strict in the original board in some areas...lenient in the profanity - when that had to change I remember somebody started a message board that anything goes on it...lol it was funny.

But yeah after each close down starting with 06 there was a wave of refugees that left the board and found new homes...some meandered back most stayed at their new home.

Last year it closed again as they were negotiating with the message board provider. Many left and when they came back it was like troll land and kiddie land combined. When Chud got fired...the traffic was like 2 3 days without a meaningful post.

I think in 06 2-3 boards were formed. including this one.
Browns Babe started her board the same time as the Anything Goes board.

But tough mods??? the old board Daman would have been banned forever for posting in pure football One liners were totally frowned upon. Probably why I'm so long winded now in my posts

Anyways...Ppe - how are your social media skills...I always put dawgtalkers and the site would pop up but if somebody put up Browns would dawgtalkers site pop up? GET an SEO specialist on board...lol
Posted By: ddubia Re: Browns Chat room - 03/22/14 09:23 AM
Quote:

I remember somebody started a message board that anything goes on it...lol it was funny.

Yeah, invite only, (cause nobody knew about it), intended to keep the dolts away so the more football intelligent could have meaningful discussions without all the bickering.

Took less than a month for the fighting to escalate to the degree that everybody stopped posting there.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Chat room - 03/22/14 02:08 PM
It was either you or Peen that told me about it. man that's going back a long way LOL
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns Chat room - 03/23/14 07:05 PM
Not refugees, per se. We are an enjoying an infusion of diversity. Some may be more infused than others.
Welcome to the table.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Browns Chat room - 03/23/14 07:09 PM
I prefer to think of them as illegal aliens.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Chat room - 03/23/14 07:18 PM
Quote:

Once you register, you have legal status.

Posted By: Tulsa Re: Browns Chat room - 03/23/14 07:24 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Once you register, you have legal status.

Wasn't it Hoover who said, "a chicken in every pot and a green card in every email box?"
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 03/24/14 08:54 AM
If they can't speak English then throw them the hell out
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Chat room - 03/24/14 05:32 PM
No ddubbia a long time before the 2006 purge. Jules n Dawg Michele should know as it was made almost the same time as Brown Babes board. When I say anything goes - we are talking about Rated XXX some real raunchy stuff in there sort of funny if you didn't go every day.

It was made when Dawgtalk the Browns board when a little more strict on the 4 letter words.

I think its name was DARKSIDE...pretty sure.

funny. Browns Babe message board was very Shang Ra La as Boards go.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Chat room - 03/24/14 05:55 PM
It was the darkside. I posted there as well.
Posted By: BpG Re: Browns Chat room - 03/24/14 05:59 PM
oh snap I remember that hahaha I had completely forgotten.
Posted By: ddubia Re: Browns Chat room - 03/25/14 03:04 AM
Yeah, I remember now, Darkside. Wow, that was one unique board.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Browns Chat room - 04/01/14 03:07 PM
I like this board a lot now , especially compared to the now-closed down official clevelandbrowns.com board. It just flows better because there are a lot more people that post here. The old official board got really slow at times.... Just not enough traffic.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns Chat room - 04/01/14 03:25 PM
Yeah there is a lot more, updated, info here and the people here have taught me more in my time here compared to my entire time at the official forum (like NFL rules and policies, clarification on certain issues like the Transisition Tag and I could go on and on).

© DawgTalkers.net