DawgTalkers.net
[social:tweet]https://t.co/SW5FSwtOEK[/social]

Good for him.
We all knew he sucked as a player.
He Dropped 100k for the Trevor Project. That's admirable. They need it.
Deplorable and uncalled for...
First active NFL player comes out as gay

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/559498-first-active-nfl-player-comes-out-as-gay

Good for him. I watched a quick video of him announcing this and claiming the only reason was for openness and representation.
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I swear you've become a troll. Is this an attempt to be funny?
Carl Nassib answering the question nobody asked. Whatever ...
totally uncalled for...
is it bad that all I can think about is Todd Haley screaming 'ccaarrrrllllllllll'
Very courageous move no matter if you agree with it or not.
Ironically he is not the 1st Browns player
That is homosexual.
That would former LB Tom Cousineau.
Art Modell spent alot of $$$$ as Tom in the mid 80s found himself on the other end of a police
Flashlight in Fairview Park.
Laying the groundwork for a lawsuit? If he gets cut because of play...lifestyle becomes a factor?
Originally Posted By: fishtheice
Laying the groundwork for a lawsuit? If he gets cut because of play...lifestyle becomes a factor?

Or, he's trying to raise awareness and show support, which is exactly what he said he is doing.

He donated $100,000 to an organization that helps with suicide prevention and other issues the LGBTQ community faces.

Your post is just wild speculation with zero factual backing at all.

Interesting take. On Hard Knocks he did teach other players about leveraging their financial positions.

I don't know, that might be a stretch. I guess we will find out if he is cut and claims as such.

I will offer apology to any who didn't take my earlier comment as intended.
He didn't, though... plus he's still playing.
Originally Posted By: cle23

Or, he's trying to raise awareness and show support, which is exactly what he said he is doing.

He donated $100,000 to an organization that helps with suicide prevention and other issues the LGBTQ community faces.

I read (but didn't look for myself, so feel free to correct me), that the Raiders comments in his social media post make it seem like they were aware prior and were/are supportive.
Ok. I'm having lunch and The View is on talking about CN. Joy Behar made a crack about "penetration in the end zone". Now she's backtracking, telling the audience it was inappropriate and to forget she said it. I wonder if she's going to pay a price for this? First time I watched this show since they eviscerated John McCain during his presidential run. I was channel hopping and saw Carl's face and stopped to see what they were saying. WOW!

Fish never met a conspiracy theory he didn't like.
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

I read (but didn't look for myself, so feel free to correct me), that the Raiders comments in his social media post make it seem like they were aware prior and were/are supportive.

I don't really care if he's gay one way or the other. What makes him think people care? I'm like okay?

It's a bit dramatized and over the top for for my taste. I wish he was still on our team though, he was a solid player.
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
I don't really care if he's gay one way or the other. What makes him think people care? I'm like okay?

It's a bit dramatized and over the top for for my taste. I wish he was still on our team though, he was a solid player.

I really don't think he cares what everyday people think. I think he is trying to show people who are struggling to come out or are having some trouble that it's ok.

I don't see how he could have made an announcement that was any less dramatic. Announced he was gay and that he was donating money to a cause to help people and then declined to do any interviews whatsoever.

I don't know, that might be a stretch. I guess we will find out if he is cut and claims as such.

Please then, enlighten me to how is was intended.

cle23----------------->

The new NORMAL for society.

Sad days indeed.
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

cle23----------------->

You aren't any better
It’s important. It’s meaningful. It’s actually a life saver for some young men out there. It’s amazing what a role model can do for someone suffering and feeling alone.

The lack of empathy from many on this board prove the point. That is WHY it is important for brave people to come out. That is WHY people put themselves out there to the ridicule some of you feel the need to heap on people you don’t understand.

Saying you don’t care is always very telling, because when you say that, everyone knows you do. And we know exactly why.

Then there are some of you suggesting he is doing this for some ulterior motive. Lmao, yeah, that is likely the motive.

There is a reason so many young gay men kill themselves. Please stop being so callous and insensitive to things you don’t understand. You are being the exact opposite of what you pretend to be. Please be better.
Thank you.
He should change his handle to supertroll.
Originally Posted By: JulesDawg
It’s important. It’s meaningful. It’s actually a life saver for some young men out there. It’s amazing what a role model can do for someone suffering and feeling alone.

The lack of empathy from many on this board prove the point. That is WHY it is important for brave people to come out. That is WHY people put themselves out there to the ridicule some of you feel the need to heap on people you don’t understand.

Saying you don’t care is always very telling, because when you say that, everyone knows you do. And we know exactly why.

Then there are some of you suggesting he is doing this for some ulterior motive. Lmao, yeah, that is likely the motive.

There is a reason so many young gay men kill themselves. Please stop being so callous and insensitive to things you don’t understand. You are being the exact opposite of what you pretend to be. Please be better.

This deserves repeating. Truth.
j/c...

That was a very good post. I have to say I admire Carl for having the courage to do this, for his philanthropy, and for providing support to other young men who are otherwise downtrodden or discouraged.

My core memory of him, though, will always be his financial diatribe on Hard Knocks.
Ideally, an announcement like this wouldn't really be necessary or even newsworthy. But we haven't made it that far yet, as a society... so it is.
We should never celebrate anybody for any reason at any time. That is an Amish concept of working to stop pride.

What does God have to say about the situation, what will God tell us on the breaking down of what is Holy.

If it requires a celebration of every person who claims some thing then you'll end up doing something for 3 billion people and each person more than once.

Can we go back to talking about slot corners and whether LineBackers should be over 235 pounds it is much less stressful and

And for those others;

What does recognizing Carl Nassib in 2021 provide that recognizing Ellen DeGeneris in 2001 didn't?

What about that old ugly Star Trek Guy from 2007? Tekai, What did anyone gain from that?
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
We should never celebrate anybody for any reason at any time. That is an Amish concept of working to stop pride.

What does God have to say about the situation, what will God tell us on the breaking down of what is Holy.

If it requires a celebration of every person who claims some thing then you'll end up doing something for 3 billion people and each person more than once.

Can we go back to talking about slot corners and whether LineBackers should be over 235 pounds it is much less stressful and

And for those others;

What does recognizing Carl Nassib in 2021 provide that recognizing Ellen DeGeneris in 2001 didn't?

What about that old ugly Star Trek Guy from 2007? Tekai, What did anyone gain from that?

YOU may not have got anything from it, but there are plenty of people out there who probably did. You don't know what anybody in this world is going through other than yourself and sometimes all person needs is to know that there are other people out there like them having the same struggles as them to get through. It sure doesn't seem like Nassib needed to do this for himself 100% but I do think it will help some people out there, maybe a young high school player who is struggling to accept himself or be accepted by others.

Like a few others have said, at some point in time this won't even be newsworthy but as of right now it is because it doesn't happen everyday. And if you can tell by several of the comments in this very post, there are still plenty of people who aren't accepting or still having to make snarky comments about a person that isn't even involved in their lives in any way.
The fricken league is over 100 years old... and there hasn't been one player to be known to be gay before 2021?

I doubt it.

I mean... that's significant. How many other male professional athletes in major sports in the united states have also been out as gay?

You can probably count that on like one hand. I mean the idea of "It shouldn't be an issue" is right. Love is love between consenting individuals.

However. If it isn't an issue... then why is there only one dude? in a sea of men... When we know that the statistical average is around 5 to 10 percent.
There has been ex-NFL players that have come out but none that were playing at the time.
It's pride month, just be proud to be the person you are.

Loved your post like I love you !!!
[quote]What does God have to say about the situation, what will God tell us on the breaking down of what is Holy./quote]

The truth can be a funny thing. While not always valued by others, it is most certainly favored by God and our hopes of ensuring wholesome relationships. We may think we are clever enough to fool other people, God, or even ourselves, but little do we know of the ultimate consequences of our attempts to deceive reality. However painful or awkward the truth may be, it is "truly" our only opportunity to create harmony and receive God's grace. The Bible reminds us of the power of truth quite frequently and we'd be wise to follow its advice.

Psalm 145:18 ESV
The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.

2 Timothy 2:15 ESV
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

Proverbs 12:22 ESV
Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who act faithfully are his delight.

1 Corinthians 13:4-6 ESV
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; love is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth

John 8:32 ESV
And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
So what. Being gay has been accepted, almost praised in today's society. I'm glad it meant something to him to come out, and I do hope it gives others courage to be who they are, but I don't understand the big deal.

So you are gay, what do you want a ribbon?
[quote]So you are gay, what do you want a ribbon?/quote]

I believe it's being excepted for who you are and not having to hide from the person you truly are.

Have you ever done something and never told anybody because you were afraid of how you would be treated or judged ?

we can't hide the color we are, we shouldn't have to hide the soul we are.

I'm still kind of waiting on an explanation on what you meant in your first post. It's a cop out to claim people misunderstood what you meant but then not explain what you meant.

I'm still kind of waiting on an explanation on what you meant in your first post. It's a cop out to claim people misunderstood what you meant but then not explain what you meant.

Sad days indeed.

Yep, horribly sad to let people live their lives while not hurting anyone. What monsters!
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
There has been ex-NFL players that have come out but none that were playing at the time.

My understanding is that there have been plenty of gay players in the NFL that, out of fear, did not come out until after their playing days were over. They feared that coming out would jeopardize their standing in the locker room and, ultimately, their pro career.

So with that in mind... no, Carl Nassib coming out shouldn't be a big deal. But it is a big deal because the NFL (and our society in general) still has a way to go in terms of acceptance and inclusion.

Sad days indeed.

Yep, horribly sad to let people live their lives while not hurting anyone. What monsters!

Pearls before swine. You just don't understand.
We're pretty sure where the swine is. We get it.

It was intended as a joke. If it wasn't funny, I apologized for poor taste. Believe it or not my wife and I have gay friends. We have traveled on vacation with them several times so it isn't some sort of gay bashing.

If you are wanting me to fly up to shine your shoes or something, forget it..
About .5 seconds after that news came out, some idiot on twitter tried taking the racial angle that he's still on a team yet Michael Sam was cut after a year in the league.

And it's like lol, Michael Sam was a 6'2" DE with average skills. Also, he had great college numbers, but anyone who follows the league knows that you aren't drafted because of what you have done, but more of what teams think you can do.

Not to mention, hundreds of guys get their dreams crushed every year, it's the way it goes. The average length of an NFL career is 2 and a half years, and that means there are plenty of guys who don't even see that.

I am not saying that there isn't hate and prejudice out there, but I swear to god a huge portion of this country wakes up wanting to be mad about something. It's incredibly sad.

I am happy for Carl Nassib, although I don't think he isn't long for the NFL. Guys who play his position that are not special, do not last long. Pass rushers are at a premium in this league, and there are huge crops of them coming out of college every year. Way it goes.

I hope him coming out makes this not such a thing, and that guys can just be who they are without having to hide it. We have a long way to go, but I think things are much better than they were 20-30 years ago+.
Proverbs 16, something says Pride goeth before a fall.

The corporation driven media of the US is, I'm not sure what they are, all of the shows and constant reminders, they are, enamored with deception perhaps.
Nothing to celebrate, nothing to be proud of, people should walk Humbly before God.
People are free to look around at the news cycle and draw their own conclusions.
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
[quote]So you are gay, what do you want a ribbon?/quote]

I believe it's being excepted for who you are and not having to hide from the person you truly are.

Have you ever done something and never told anybody because you were afraid of how you would be treated or judged ?
we can't hide the color we are, we shouldn't have to hide the soul we are.

I guess I could have stated that in a better way. I just don't understand why it has to be front page news. I have gay friends, actually several, and most in our circle, have always known they were gay, and it was no big deal. It is a shame that many feel the need to hide it, but as it has been my experience, telling others never seemed to be needed.

I don't judge people that way, but sometimes I feel that some just like the attention it gives them to make a public proclamation.

I am happy if he felt this is what he needed to do, and like I said, if it helps others, I am all for it.

Help.

Sad days indeed.

Pearls before swine. You just don't understand.

I don't want to understand what you're trying to push on people. I know what you're referring to in the Bible, but it's amazing how people pick and choose what they want to apply it to only certain aspects of their lives. Do you preach that on every single person that does something you feel is incorrect, or do you only apply it to homosexuals, as so many do?

The dude made a quick announcement, donated some money to a charity to help people, and then moved on and people are acting like he's only out for attention or to somehow prevent himself from losing a job. Again, if his announcement helps save the life of one person it was well worth it despite you wanting to act like he committed the crime.
I think he must have forgotten about the "Judge ye not" and "He who be without sin" parts of the bible. That happens sometimes.
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I think he must have forgotten about the "Judge ye not" and "He who be without sin" parts of the bible. That happens sometimes.
Or even that his quote really isn't all that applicable when you think about it. What are the 'pearls' here? Views on a IG feed? Comments on a Browns message board?
Or even that his quote really isn't all that applicable when you think about it. What are the 'pearls' here? Views on a IG feed? Comments on a Browns message board?

That's not exactly what the verse is about. Basically, don't waste your "pearls" on swine, who will not care one bit about the value of the pearl.

Apparently we are the swine in Super's eyes, and his grounding breaking homophobia takes are the "pearls."
Homophobia pretty much means afraid of homosexuals. The term is freaking ridiculous. It is also a left wing talking point. I have no problem with gay people, but some have religious beliefs that say it is a sin. You bashing someone who may have those beliefs is just as bigoted as you claim they are.
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
Homophobia pretty much means afraid of homosexuals. The term is freaking ridiculous. It is also a left wing talking point. I have no problem with gay people, but some have religious beliefs that say it is a sin. You bashing someone who may have those beliefs is just as bigoted as you claim they are.

Yes, homosexuality is a sin in the eyes of most churches. That's fine. So are a million other things that somehow conveniently get ignored. Greed. Gluttony. Lust. Drunkenness. How many people brag about being drunk on this board every Sunday? In the eyes of God, they're all the same, yet somehow, homosexuality is the one sin that is somehow always gets targeted.

Also, Homophobia isn't the fear of gay people. The Oxford direct definition is : the dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people.
Meh, he lost the argument as soon as he mentioned religion.
Well he may be the first active player to do so but will not be the last. Seems to be a norm or will be
Ideally, an announcement like this wouldn't really be necessary or even newsworthy. But we haven't made it that far yet, as a society... so it is.

This is what needs to happen. Ironically though with how the media handles things it puts people who come out into a separate bucket of sorts. This continues to portray people who do so in separate light. This does not help or gradually shift towards making things non events.

They need to be treated no differently from anyone else in society. That's just how I feel about it.
But they are, which is why things like this matter. When you can't be yourself, when there's a situation that many in our society can't be who they are, things like this matter.

I agree that when and if our society reaches the point that "everyone is treated equal" an announcement like this won't be needed. But I'm quite sure there are thousands upon thousands of young athletes around our country who don't feel they can come out and be who they are and still play football on the college or NFL level.

That's who this was for. And since this is the first NFL player to come out, is it any wonder they feel that way?
I'd like to make an announcement and come out as Heterosexual! Just in case it ever becomes something that becomes relevant to the conversation.
j/c:

NFL says 'Football is gay' in new commercial that makes clear its support of LGBTQ+ community

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf...ial/7783421002/
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
j/c:

NFL says 'Football is gay' in new commercial that makes clear its support of LGBTQ+ community

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf...ial/7783421002/

WHY CAN'T THEY SEPERATE SPORTS FROM POLITICS?????????????

People watch sports to get away from this BS!!!!!!!!

I'm close to done.
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Meh, he lost the argument as soon as he mentioned religion.

Lost the argument? I wasn't arguing anything. I was making a statement that has nothing to do with me.

Yes, homosexuality is a sin in the eyes of most churches. That's fine. So are a million other things that somehow conveniently get ignored. Greed. Gluttony. Lust. Drunkenness. How many people brag about being drunk on this board every Sunday? In the eyes of God, they're all the same, yet somehow, homosexuality is the one sin that is somehow always gets targeted.

Also, Homophobia isn't the fear of gay people. The Oxford direct definition is : the dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people.

I agree with what you are saying, my point is bashing someone for their religious beliefs, is in itself, bigoted
Maybe if people stopped making discrimination okay and laws against the LGBTQ community a part of their politics, there is a strong probability it would no longer be a part of politics.

Why is it you see gay rights as political? Is it those that believe they should be treated equal to everyone else that you feel makes it political or those that don't think they should be treated equal that is making it political? Shouldn't it simply be that every American believes that all Americans be entitled to the same rights and protections as every other American and be done with it?

Because if you think the side that stands against equal rights for gay people isn't making it political, you obviously haven't been paying attention to the beliefs held by a large part of their voter base. Neither party is less guilty of making gay rights political.
Originally Posted By: Moxdawg
I'd like to make an announcement and come out as Heterosexual! Just in case it ever becomes something that becomes relevant to the conversation.

I doubt you will ever feel the need to come out because you are the accepted norm...
Name a law that has been made against the LBGT community. Religious beliefs are not political. Also where did I say it is a political situation?
Name a law that has been made against the LBGT community. Religious beliefs are not political. Also where did I say it is a political situation?

I'd qualify that or Pit will be frantically googling up old laws.

I agree with what you are saying, my point is bashing someone for their religious beliefs, is in itself, bigoted

That's the thing. I don't care what his religious beliefs are. I understand that most Christians, and most churches, aren't going to promote homosexuality because it goes against what they believe. And that's fine. My issue is that most Christians will go out of their way to bash and fight against homosexuality, but ignore other sins right in front of their eyes. The Bible says all sins are the same in God's eyes, but we humans tend to only focus on a couple, which are conveniently usually the only few we aren't personally committing. It's easy for a heterosexual person to focus on the sin of homosexuality, yet ignore that they themselves are committing sins left and right.
Quote:
My issue is that most Christians will go out of their way to bash and fight against homosexuality,

First, I might take issue with "most". Most is a big number.

Second, I suppose it depends on what you mean by "bash" and "fight". If it means become violent, I disagree. Most don't.

If it means to stand against by voicing their concerns and supporting candidates that agree with their doctrine, then you are probably correct. In almost all cases people of any grouping tend to support and vote for candidates who agree with their point of view. I have never supported or voted for someone with whom I basically disagree on most issues. I doubt you have either.

I also disagree that millions of other sins are ignored. I don't know of any legit religious group that promotes greed, or encourages having sex with your neighbors wife or husband, or whatever.
You don't see how the Mega-Churches tend to promote greed?
California passed Prop8 in the mid-2000's that banned gay marriage. It was challenged and eventually overturned, but for a while gay marriage was banned in CA.
You don't see how the Mega-Churches tend to promote greed?

No.

I see how some "pastors" may be greedy people.

If they promoted greed, the message would be to not give and keep it for yourself. Greedy pastors are telling people to be generous.
Name a law that has been made against the LBGT community. Religious beliefs are not political.

Religious beliefs and rights are something to be decided by the court system because it's a constitutional issue. When you start adopting those as a part of your political platform rather than allow the court system to run its due course, you just made it political.
Only serious discussion allowed.
He didn't, though... plus he's still playing.

A high 3rd round pick (#65) that has been in the league for 5 years as a DE and.. is on his 3rd team, has been listed as a starter in only half of his games, and averages about 18 tackles and 4 sacks per season...

That's significantly underachieving...
News. Some Nashville Predators NHL player has announced they are gay.

I remember a recent last two weeks call I heard, or interviewee from a conservative talk radio show which I thought made sense with their comment which was.

(")How (uncool, I'll say uncool, I forget the actual analogy), it is for you to ask me to identify you by how you choose to have sex.? (")
Or even if some would argue it's not a choice but to identify someone by how they have sex.

Which, is kind of fitting. I don't hear of a lot of, actually no pending discrimination, therefore not asking, not telling, (a former military policy), isn't and wasn't really a problem.
Homosexuality has nothing to do with sex. I know asexual gay people. This is a terrible talking point.
Quote:
Homosexuality has nothing to do with sex.

What?
I think he is confusing homoromantic with homosexual.

A homoromantic asexual would be a person romantically attracted to someone of the same sex (gender??), but not have any kind of sexual attraction.
Being in the league for 5 years means he's better than average. Where he was drafted is pretty irrelevant at this point. But if that's a sticking point, then I'll say he's significantly outperformed many/most 3rd rounders from the team that drafted him....
Quote:
(")How (uncool, I'll say uncool, I forget the actual analogy), it is for you to ask me to identify you by how you choose to have sex.? (")
Or even if some would argue it's not a choice but to identify someone by how they have sex.

I don't think either one of them is asking for you to identify them any differently, are they? These are really just FYI announcements.

And the conservative position tends to create some contradictions like.. we need to keep men, dressed like women, out of the women's bathroom.. and we have to restrict gay peoples ability to adopt children.. and gay people shouldn't be allowed to get married, etc.. But when somebody announces they are gay, especially somebody like these two men, it's "why do you even have to tell me?".. How can you restrict their rights if you don't know who they are?
© DawgTalkers.net