Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: cle23
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: fishtheice
Laying the groundwork for a lawsuit? If he gets cut because of play...lifestyle becomes a factor?

I don't know, that might be a stretch. I guess we will find out if he is cut and claims as such.

I will offer apology to any who didn't take my earlier comment as intended.

Please then, enlighten me to how is was intended.

I'm still kind of waiting on an explanation on what you meant in your first post. It's a cop out to claim people misunderstood what you meant but then not explain what you meant.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Laying the groundwork for a lawsuit? If he gets cut because of play...lifestyle becomes a factor?

I don't know, that might be a stretch. I guess we will find out if he is cut and claims as such.

I'm still kind of waiting on an explanation on what you meant in your first post. It's a cop out to claim people misunderstood what you meant but then not explain what you meant.
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
The new NORMAL for society.

Sad days indeed.

Yep, horribly sad to let people live their lives while not hurting anyone. What monsters!

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
There has been ex-NFL players that have come out but none that were playing at the time.

My understanding is that there have been plenty of gay players in the NFL that, out of fear, did not come out until after their playing days were over. They feared that coming out would jeopardize their standing in the locker room and, ultimately, their pro career.

So with that in mind... no, Carl Nassib coming out shouldn't be a big deal. But it is a big deal because the NFL (and our society in general) still has a way to go in terms of acceptance and inclusion.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Sad days indeed.

Yep, horribly sad to let people live their lives while not hurting anyone. What monsters!

Pearls before swine. You just don't understand.

P
Legend
Legend
P
We're pretty sure where the swine is. We get it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B

It was intended as a joke. If it wasn't funny, I apologized for poor taste. Believe it or not my wife and I have gay friends. We have traveled on vacation with them several times so it isn't some sort of gay bashing.

If you are wanting me to fly up to shine your shoes or something, forget it..

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
S
Legend
Legend
S
About .5 seconds after that news came out, some idiot on twitter tried taking the racial angle that he's still on a team yet Michael Sam was cut after a year in the league.

And it's like lol, Michael Sam was a 6'2" DE with average skills. Also, he had great college numbers, but anyone who follows the league knows that you aren't drafted because of what you have done, but more of what teams think you can do.

Not to mention, hundreds of guys get their dreams crushed every year, it's the way it goes. The average length of an NFL career is 2 and a half years, and that means there are plenty of guys who don't even see that.

I am not saying that there isn't hate and prejudice out there, but I swear to god a huge portion of this country wakes up wanting to be mad about something. It's incredibly sad.

I am happy for Carl Nassib, although I don't think he isn't long for the NFL. Guys who play his position that are not special, do not last long. Pass rushers are at a premium in this league, and there are huge crops of them coming out of college every year. Way it goes.

I hope him coming out makes this not such a thing, and that guys can just be who they are without having to hide it. We have a long way to go, but I think things are much better than they were 20-30 years ago+.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Proverbs 16, something says Pride goeth before a fall.

The corporation driven media of the US is, I'm not sure what they are, all of the shows and constant reminders, they are, enamored with deception perhaps.
Nothing to celebrate, nothing to be proud of, people should walk Humbly before God.
People are free to look around at the news cycle and draw their own conclusions.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
[quote]So you are gay, what do you want a ribbon?/quote]

I believe it's being excepted for who you are and not having to hide from the person you truly are.

Have you ever done something and never told anybody because you were afraid of how you would be treated or judged ?
we can't hide the color we are, we shouldn't have to hide the soul we are.

I guess I could have stated that in a better way. I just don't understand why it has to be front page news. I have gay friends, actually several, and most in our circle, have always known they were gay, and it was no big deal. It is a shame that many feel the need to hide it, but as it has been my experience, telling others never seemed to be needed.

I don't judge people that way, but sometimes I feel that some just like the attention it gives them to make a public proclamation.

I am happy if he felt this is what he needed to do, and like I said, if it helps others, I am all for it.

Last edited by Steubenvillian; 06/24/21 09:45 PM.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Help.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C

Sad days indeed.

Pearls before swine. You just don't understand.

I don't want to understand what you're trying to push on people. I know what you're referring to in the Bible, but it's amazing how people pick and choose what they want to apply it to only certain aspects of their lives. Do you preach that on every single person that does something you feel is incorrect, or do you only apply it to homosexuals, as so many do?

The dude made a quick announcement, donated some money to a charity to help people, and then moved on and people are acting like he's only out for attention or to somehow prevent himself from losing a job. Again, if his announcement helps save the life of one person it was well worth it despite you wanting to act like he committed the crime.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think he must have forgotten about the "Judge ye not" and "He who be without sin" parts of the bible. That happens sometimes.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I think he must have forgotten about the "Judge ye not" and "He who be without sin" parts of the bible. That happens sometimes.
Or even that his quote really isn't all that applicable when you think about it. What are the 'pearls' here? Views on a IG feed? Comments on a Browns message board?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Or even that his quote really isn't all that applicable when you think about it. What are the 'pearls' here? Views on a IG feed? Comments on a Browns message board?

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C

That's not exactly what the verse is about. Basically, don't waste your "pearls" on swine, who will not care one bit about the value of the pearl.

Apparently we are the swine in Super's eyes, and his grounding breaking homophobia takes are the "pearls."

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Homophobia pretty much means afraid of homosexuals. The term is freaking ridiculous. It is also a left wing talking point. I have no problem with gay people, but some have religious beliefs that say it is a sin. You bashing someone who may have those beliefs is just as bigoted as you claim they are.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
Homophobia pretty much means afraid of homosexuals. The term is freaking ridiculous. It is also a left wing talking point. I have no problem with gay people, but some have religious beliefs that say it is a sin. You bashing someone who may have those beliefs is just as bigoted as you claim they are.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C

Yes, homosexuality is a sin in the eyes of most churches. That's fine. So are a million other things that somehow conveniently get ignored. Greed. Gluttony. Lust. Drunkenness. How many people brag about being drunk on this board every Sunday? In the eyes of God, they're all the same, yet somehow, homosexuality is the one sin that is somehow always gets targeted.

Also, Homophobia isn't the fear of gay people. The Oxford direct definition is : the dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Meh, he lost the argument as soon as he mentioned religion.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
1st String
1st String
Well he may be the first active player to do so but will not be the last. Seems to be a norm or will be

April Showers and Easter 2024!
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Ideally, an announcement like this wouldn't really be necessary or even newsworthy. But we haven't made it that far yet, as a society... so it is.

This is what needs to happen. Ironically though with how the media handles things it puts people who come out into a separate bucket of sorts. This continues to portray people who do so in separate light. This does not help or gradually shift towards making things non events.

They need to be treated no differently from anyone else in society. That's just how I feel about it.

Last edited by tastybrownies; 06/27/21 11:27 AM.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
P
Legend
Legend
P
But they are, which is why things like this matter. When you can't be yourself, when there's a situation that many in our society can't be who they are, things like this matter.

I agree that when and if our society reaches the point that "everyone is treated equal" an announcement like this won't be needed. But I'm quite sure there are thousands upon thousands of young athletes around our country who don't feel they can come out and be who they are and still play football on the college or NFL level.

That's who this was for. And since this is the first NFL player to come out, is it any wonder they feel that way?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'd like to make an announcement and come out as Heterosexual! Just in case it ever becomes something that becomes relevant to the conversation.

Last edited by Moxdawg; 06/27/21 02:19 PM.

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
Legend
Legend
j/c:

NFL says 'Football is gay' in new commercial that makes clear its support of LGBTQ+ community

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf...ial/7783421002/

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
j/c:

NFL says 'Football is gay' in new commercial that makes clear its support of LGBTQ+ community

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf...ial/7783421002/

WHY CAN'T THEY SEPERATE SPORTS FROM POLITICS?????????????

People watch sports to get away from this BS!!!!!!!!

I'm close to done.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Meh, he lost the argument as soon as he mentioned religion.

Lost the argument? I wasn't arguing anything. I was making a statement that has nothing to do with me.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S

Yes, homosexuality is a sin in the eyes of most churches. That's fine. So are a million other things that somehow conveniently get ignored. Greed. Gluttony. Lust. Drunkenness. How many people brag about being drunk on this board every Sunday? In the eyes of God, they're all the same, yet somehow, homosexuality is the one sin that is somehow always gets targeted.

Also, Homophobia isn't the fear of gay people. The Oxford direct definition is : the dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people.

I agree with what you are saying, my point is bashing someone for their religious beliefs, is in itself, bigoted

P
Legend
Legend
P
Maybe if people stopped making discrimination okay and laws against the LGBTQ community a part of their politics, there is a strong probability it would no longer be a part of politics.

Why is it you see gay rights as political? Is it those that believe they should be treated equal to everyone else that you feel makes it political or those that don't think they should be treated equal that is making it political? Shouldn't it simply be that every American believes that all Americans be entitled to the same rights and protections as every other American and be done with it?

Because if you think the side that stands against equal rights for gay people isn't making it political, you obviously haven't been paying attention to the beliefs held by a large part of their voter base. Neither party is less guilty of making gay rights political.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Moxdawg
I'd like to make an announcement and come out as Heterosexual! Just in case it ever becomes something that becomes relevant to the conversation.

I doubt you will ever feel the need to come out because you are the accepted norm...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Name a law that has been made against the LBGT community. Religious beliefs are not political. Also where did I say it is a political situation?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Name a law that has been made against the LBGT community. Religious beliefs are not political. Also where did I say it is a political situation?

I'd qualify that or Pit will be frantically googling up old laws.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C

I agree with what you are saying, my point is bashing someone for their religious beliefs, is in itself, bigoted

That's the thing. I don't care what his religious beliefs are. I understand that most Christians, and most churches, aren't going to promote homosexuality because it goes against what they believe. And that's fine. My issue is that most Christians will go out of their way to bash and fight against homosexuality, but ignore other sins right in front of their eyes. The Bible says all sins are the same in God's eyes, but we humans tend to only focus on a couple, which are conveniently usually the only few we aren't personally committing. It's easy for a heterosexual person to focus on the sin of homosexuality, yet ignore that they themselves are committing sins left and right.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:
My issue is that most Christians will go out of their way to bash and fight against homosexuality,

First, I might take issue with "most". Most is a big number.

Second, I suppose it depends on what you mean by "bash" and "fight". If it means become violent, I disagree. Most don't.

If it means to stand against by voicing their concerns and supporting candidates that agree with their doctrine, then you are probably correct. In almost all cases people of any grouping tend to support and vote for candidates who agree with their point of view. I have never supported or voted for someone with whom I basically disagree on most issues. I doubt you have either.

I also disagree that millions of other sins are ignored. I don't know of any legit religious group that promotes greed, or encourages having sex with your neighbors wife or husband, or whatever.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
You don't see how the Mega-Churches tend to promote greed?

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
California passed Prop8 in the mid-2000's that banned gay marriage. It was challenged and eventually overturned, but for a while gay marriage was banned in CA.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
You don't see how the Mega-Churches tend to promote greed?

No.

I see how some "pastors" may be greedy people.

If they promoted greed, the message would be to not give and keep it for yourself. Greedy pastors are telling people to be generous.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Name a law that has been made against the LBGT community. Religious beliefs are not political.

Religious beliefs and rights are something to be decided by the court system because it's a constitutional issue. When you start adopting those as a part of your political platform rather than allow the court system to run its due course, you just made it political.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Only serious discussion allowed.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
We all knew he sucked as a player.
He didn't, though... plus he's still playing.

A high 3rd round pick (#65) that has been in the league for 5 years as a DE and.. is on his 3rd team, has been listed as a starter in only half of his games, and averages about 18 tackles and 4 sacks per season...

That's significantly underachieving...

yebat' Putin
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Carl Nassib comes out as 1st openly gay active NFL player

Link Copied to Clipboard