DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Milk Man Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 09:27 PM
The Browns did what they absolutely should have done to Arizona Cardinals. Great to see.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 09:28 PM
Nice to have a stress-free fourth quarter for a change.
The new PR looked quick and got us some yards on the return. Good sign.
D pitched a shutout, first time since 2007 I thought someone said. Yeah today’s Cardinals offence was expansion-like, but still good to get the blank, pad the sack stats. smile

Desean was solid, didn’t turn it over and that long pass to Cooper in the fourth was a beauty toss. He had a couple weird short throws that were off target but overall I’m satisfied with his play today.

Huge one next week at Baltimore. Statement game.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 09:30 PM
The season is next week. We cannot lose next week.
Posted By: Swish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 09:30 PM
Glad to see we did what we’re supposed to do against a bad team; dominate. Good to see DW shake off some rust, and had some beautiful throws and scrambles, and more importantly finished the game healthy.

Defense….58 total yards. Period.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 09:32 PM
That was quite enjoyable to watch.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 09:33 PM
58 yds.

That's absurd.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 09:33 PM
Careful on the non-injured DW talk! The last injury didn’t show up until after the game.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 09:34 PM
I agree. We won that's all that matters and we dominated like we should have. DW looked pretty good for the first game back and made some nice throws. Can someone tell me if we had any drops.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 09:35 PM
I didn’t notice a single drop
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Rishuz
58 yds.

That's absurd.

19th best in NFL history and the best this year.
Our Sack yardage was the same as their Rushing Yardage.
We sacked them once for every 1st Down they got.

It was a pretty dang good defensive day.

Our offense was painful, though, and it did NOT look like it is something that will fair well next week. I *finally* saw a couple throws by Watson that lived up to his hype.
Too many injuries.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 09:41 PM
Wills is probably out for the season, big loss.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 09:44 PM
Thanks! thumbsup
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
[quote=Homewood Dog]I agree. We won that's all that matters and we dominated like we should have. DW looked pretty good for the first game back and made some nice throws. Can someone tell me if we had any drops.

At least 2 (Njoku and Ford, I think) and I think there was one other but not sure. Also, a deep ball to Grissom where interference was missed. DW also had a few off target short throws when guys were open. [quote]
Posted By: bonefish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 09:45 PM
The game plan was clear.

Conservative. Emphasis on no turnovers. Limit the passes. Run the ball. Let the defense work.

Don't force things. It is ok to punt. Allow the defense to get you more chances.

DW was ok. He followed the plan. He was shaky at first. He made the key throws. He got more comfortable as the game went on.

He is not smooth yet. He is still slow processing things.

I think KS kept the game plan conservative to keep DW out of trouble.

Next week DW will have to play better to win. He will need to find that groove where you are in rhythm.

The defense swallowed the Cardinals. They didn't have 100 total yards of offense.
Posted By: JimDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 09:46 PM
[Linked Image from cdn.theathletic.com]
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 09:47 PM
I didn’t consider either of those drops, but poor ball placement by Watson
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 09:49 PM
- Defense Was completely dominant ... from the first play to the last
- Watson got more comfortable as the game progressed, which was good to see
- I'm glad that Hopkins miss came when it did
- Who wins: the 99 Browns or today's Cardinals?
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 09:54 PM
D dominated.

DW did better than I thought he might.

Nice to see a PR actually do the R part of being a punt returner.

Cooper with a good game, due to some very good throws.

And bottom line, a W in the books.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 09:54 PM
This was the best "domination" game by the Browns that I have seen in years.
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by lampdogg

The 2 I mentioned were right there. I may watch the game again to be sure, and maybe I am not recalling correctly, but both of those to me should have been caught and didn't require a great deal of difficulty. He did have another Njoku and Ford miss, the 2 I recall were catchable.
Posted By: Jester Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 10:03 PM

I would say the season is the next 2 weeks.
Must find a way to beat both Baltimore and Pittsburgh
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 10:03 PM
goo point about Proche ... best returner we've had in a while
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 10:05 PM
We're in trouble on the O-line with the next 2 games against tough physical D's.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 10:06 PM
Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 10:06 PM
Couldn’t watch, a few questions.

Who filled in for Wills? Did they look shaky or were we in cruise mode at that point?

I know DW was rusty but could you tell by the end if he was still tender in the shoulder?

I understand DW got better as the game progressed but did he get creamed at all today? I know there were a few sacks but were they hard? I worry about his skittishness behind this line.

I suspect the difference in the next few games is going to hinge on our OL and our ability to game plan around it. DW is not good when he’s getting rocked. He’s not a guy that makes teams regret too much pressure and now that his wing is a question (and will be the rest of the way imo). I suspect we’re gonna see A LOT of pressure the next few weeks. Like I said, we had better game plan for it.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 10:13 PM

The 2 I mentioned were right there. I may watch the game again to be sure, and maybe I am not recalling correctly, but both of those to me should have been caught and didn't require a great deal of difficulty. He did have another Njoku and Ford miss, the 2 I recall were catchable.

You could be right. I said I didn’t notice them, doesn’t mean they didn’t happen 😀
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 10:16 PM
Hudson filled in for Wills
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 10:20 PM
The Browns got a gift today. They played a team that
Looked worse than the expansion Browns.
The AFC North is so tight every 2 or 3 games will
Separate the 1st and last place team in the North
By years end
Watson looks really average. He can't come out
And play like this vs the Ravens and Steelers
Posted By: sk8termom Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 10:22 PM
Great win today for the Browns. Didn't get to watch it because I was at Lake Farmpark with my special needs son this afternoon. So I guess we are tied then at 5-3. Of course the Ravens won today unfortunately.
Posted By: Jester Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 10:22 PM
Looking to next week, the ravens Rb. Keaton Mitchell (who?) had 138 yards on 9 carries.
But if you take away his 60 yard runthen he only averaged about 9 yards a carry.
Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

That’s a nearly meaningless stat. If you went .500 for a season but they all went L-W-L-W… all season you’d be 1.000 on that stat line. If it was coupled or used in a coefficient against overall record, that would mean something.

Edit:
Madden was 103-32 over 9yrs and never had a losing record in college or the pros.
Allen was 116-47 and also never had a losing record.
Ski- 31-27 so far. Two losing seasons out of 3
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 10:30 PM
Yeah but it’s still an interesting stat
Posted By: jfanent Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 10:41 PM

Akins had one right in the chest I think.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 10:42 PM
Okay, I remember that one.
Posted By: Jester Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by 10YrOvernightSuccess

That’s a nearly meaningless stat. If you went .500 for a season but they all went L-W-L-W… all season you’d be 1.000 on that stat line. If it was coupled or used in a coefficient against overall record, that would mean something.

Edit:
Madden was 103-32 over 9yrs and never had a losing record in college or the pros.

This tells me that if we lost more games then we would win more
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 11:07 PM

You could be right. I said I didn’t notice them, doesn’t mean they didn’t happen 😀

Me too. I wasn't intending to call you out, and lord knows my memory is slipping as I age. If I find the ambition, I may watch again. I do know I was very surprised there was no PI when Grissom had his head forearmed (not hard BTW) on that deep ball from DW.
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by 10YrOvernightSuccess

Edit:

George Allen, the guy who never had a draft pick he liked. Was known for trading most of his picks. He teams we usually older. I saw a clip on NFL Films where they said he traded the same pick twice, IT wasn't his to trade the second time. Imagine the league missing that.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 11:16 PM
I forgot: Bojorquez had maybe the most perfect punt I've ever seen ... 73 yard punt that literally died at the 1
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 11:18 PM
Good effort by the defense, offense did just enough. They are going to have to be a lot more efficient next week and defense is going to have to play like they did this week and not like they have when they aren’t playing bottom dwellers. I think next week is going to be weird, going to go one of two ways, decided in the last two minutes or a blowout for either side. Feels like we’re due one of those. Bal is getting stronger and stronger as the year goes on. I don’t think Pittsburgh can sustain. Question is can we
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/05/23 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I forgot: Bojorquez had maybe the most perfect punt I've ever seen ... 73 yard punt that literally died at the 1

Haha, our kickers have been kicking the hell out of the football this year. Boroquez had a couple other boomers today, in addition to that one. I mean he’s mashing the pigskin.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 12:09 AM
We need Watson to really earn his money next week. If we lose we’re still in the wildcard hunt but the division likely out of reach
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 12:16 AM

No it isn't.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 12:18 AM
Correct, it isn’t.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 12:32 AM
Very nice game. Exactly what we needed.

It was rocking at the stadium. No doubt this D feeds off the enery the fans bring. I already have a slightly gravel voice. By moring i suspect it will be full-fledged.

We ran the ball well early. It started to shut down late when we were running with the lead and the Cards were playing full run D. Both teams were pretty happy to keep the clock running.

A guy I have been meaning to mention....Mr. Elliott looks like a different player under Schwartz. He has been fairly disruptive all season.

Corey punted his butt off. He should get ST player of the week consideration. He kept kicking bombs all game long.

Watson looked pretty good. He had a few head scratching short throws, but he threw some beautiful deep balls and he had good velocity. One thing I really liked is he went to his checkdown fairly often. Something he didn't do earlier this season. Ford caught 4-5 of them for decent yardage. It was a nice "rehab" assignment. He isn't 100%, you saw some signs his shoulder was at least a bit stiff, but whatever percentage he is, that is better than 100% of whoever else we think of playing back there.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 12:45 AM
one thing I've noticed with Watson: he's a very emotional player ... meaning: if he has a good play, he seems to really build off of it. He can get it rolling (or vice versa) more than most QBs
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 12:55 AM
I think a fully healthy DW with more live game reps will turn out OK for us. I'm not saying he'll be a top 5 QB but good enough. JMO
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 12:56 AM
I liked the play with Kareem in wildcat, runs to the right fakes the end-around then started north. We ran that twice today, the other with Ford. Something to think about for down the road. Btw, anyone hear from eotab?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 01:06 AM
I agree with that lamp: sometimes the fake end arounds are more effective
Posted By: FATE Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 03:36 AM

Haha, our kickers have been kicking the hell out of the football this year. Boroquez had a couple other boomers today, in addition to that one. I mean he’s mashing the pigskin.

With seven punts that 73 yarder didn't have a ton of statistical influence -- 58.6 average. I only remember one subpar (by his standards) punt.

BTW... I didn't even know this 'til last week, blew my mind...

Ryan Stonehouse went from undrafted to breaking a record more than 80 years old in his rookie season in the NFL. The Tennessee Titans punter broke the record for single-season punting average with a mark of 53.1 yards per kick. He shattered the previous record of 51.4 set by Hall of Famer Sammy Baugh in 1940.

saywhat
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 03:43 AM
I’m going to call him bojo from now on
Posted By: FATE Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 03:45 AM
I like it.
Posted By: FATE Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 03:50 AM
Oh yeah... most impressive to me as I kept begging our offense to pick up a couple first downs, afraid we would give up the 'under 100' on defense.

Browns went up 27-0 with 7:48 left. Cards had three possessions to produce some "garbage time" stats... 12 plays / -3 yards.

That's playing four quarters. That's pride. That's domination.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 04:23 AM
Originally Posted by Jester

I would say the season is the next 2 weeks.
Must find a way to beat both Baltimore and Pittsburgh

I agree with both of you.

A team than can't win in its division doesn't deserve the playoffs. Those teams that occasionally 'beat the odds' usually get exposed in the first round.

CLE needs to establish themselves, if they are to establish themselves as a legitimate playoff team.
These next 2 weeks will show Browns fans what kind of team they are following in 2023.
Posted By: The Collector Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 06:52 AM
9 games left in the season. Now's the time that the contenders really start showing their faces. Odd flukey things from the beginning start to get refined out. No advantage of catching a team off guard. Already in the grind and adjustments start to get made. Team could easily be 5 - 5 in 2 weeks. Winning one of these games over the next 2 weeks puts less pressure on the season. Won't say the rest of the schedule is a cakewalk. But the toughest games on the schedule are all divisional games. As I don't think the division is going to be decided until week 18.

Jags look dangerous.
Houston has something in Stroud
Broncos could easily be 5-5 and ready to shift their season when the teams meet

If the playoffs started today. The entire division would get in the playoffs. Gonna be a Dawg fight
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 09:52 AM
I think the game vs Pittsburgh is the most important game of the year ... and the last game at Cincy will probably be a win and in scenario for both
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 11:06 AM
I liked the play with Kareem in wildcat, runs to the right fakes the end-around then started north. We ran that twice today, the other with Ford. Something to think about for down the road. Btw, anyone hear from eotab?

No. I was thinking about Eo the other day. I know he wasn't doing well, so this absence during the season isn't a good sign..

I hope I am wrong.

That is the deal with these places. When people stop posting, many times you can pretty much surmise they just got tired of the place and moved on. Other times, you just don't know, especially when it is a person who has been a regular poster for over 20 years.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 11:31 AM
Great win !

Watson looked good with the long ball

A little struggles with the short routes, I was glad they kept playing those plays

It was like a live practice for DW to work on his timing and rhythm and prepare for this weeks game

The Defense, Congrats on the egg ! Hope they can play the same against the Ravens

What worries me a little, is I hope they realize it will be a much better Offense

I shut my eyes when PJ Walker came in

Really is a big difference with DW as QB
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 01:07 PM
58 yds.

That's absurd.

How is that even possible. Y i k e s
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 01:12 PM
I thought this was an important game for Watson to come back for to get his sea legs under him ahead of a tough two-game stretch. For the most part, I think we saw his arm strength come back as he wasn't shot-putting the ball and, although he was inconsistent early on, settled down and had himself a nice game. His two tosses to Cooper were beautiful (especially that last one was perfect placement) and hope the game was able to slow down for him after being out. He still has some work ahead of him to get back to normal, but I liked what I saw, overall, coming back.

- I think the OL has been inconsistent all year and the loss of Wills does us no favors. Not sure how the FO feels with Hudson starting back there. We'll see.
- Jerome Ford has grown a lot as an RB over the past few weeks, but overall, this running game doesn't really do much for me. At this point, I'd like to see more Strong over Hunt and that's not a good thing. Couple in injuries and inconsistency from the OL, next week is going to be tough for the running game, I'm guessing.
- DL was dominant all day long. Felt kinda bad for their QB after awhile.
- Proche added a bit more to the returns, which was nice.
- Great athletic play by Takitaki to get that INT. Also, part of the play was rookie Isaiah McGuire pushing his lineman back towards Clayton Tune. McGuire has been inactive for a bunch of games (maybe all up until this one?) so it was nice to see him getting into the DL pressure party.
- Emerson continues to look fantastic. Ward is having a Pro Bowl season, arguably.
- Start those Delpit contract extension talks (if they haven't already)
- Another great coaching performance all around to get the goose egg. I don't how bad a team might be perceived, that's not easy to do in the NFL.
- Really like the LB combo of JOK and Walker.
- TONS of injuries for the Browns yesterday. Hope they can manage as much as possible heading into Baltimore.

BAL -5.5
Over/Under 39.5
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

No. I was thinking about Eo the other day. I know he wasn't doing well, so this absence during the season isn't a good sign..

I hope I am wrong.

That is the deal with these places. When people stop posting, many times you can pretty much surmise they just got tired of the place and moved on. Other times, you just don't know, especially when it is a person who has been a regular poster for over 20 years.
speaking of which ... has anyone heard from either Diam or cfrs ?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 01:21 PM

I hope I am wrong.

cfrs is not coming back apparently. The NYJ game of last year was the nail in the coffin for him. But I'm working on changing his mind.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 01:28 PM
Posted By: mac Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 01:29 PM
Winning games that you expect the Browns to win...SO RELAXING.

I will allow myself to enjoy this win for a bit...

Now, back to reality...the Browns just played the worst team in the NFL...this week we play one of the best teams in the NFL.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 01:37 PM

I hope I am wrong.

cfrs is not coming back apparently. The NYJ game of last year was the nail in the coffin for him. But I'm working on changing his mind.
that was a brutal loss for sure ... tell him we miss him
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 02:13 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 02:15 PM
it was apparent pretty quickly yesterday that the Cardinals would not score a TD with their offense, and the only chance of a FG was if we gave them a short field
Posted By: FATE Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 04:11 PM

I hope I am wrong.

I'll confidently speak for others and say that's a big WE. His football knowledge is sorely missed around these parts.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by FATE

I hope I am wrong.

I'll confidently speak for others and say that's a big WE. His football knowledge is sorely missed around these parts.
no doubt .. he was a top tier guy here
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 05:02 PM
1. I feel bad for Gannon, my fellow Wildcat alum. If any of you were members at Westwood Country Club back in 1997, there was a decent chance that either he or I caddied for you that year. I laughed when they showed the high school photos of him. Those were straight out of our yearbook. I went upstairs and brought it down and showed those same photos to my son after the game was over. Also showed him pics of Brian Hoyer from that year (freshman) and Anthony Gonzalez (sophomore). Then he asked me why they didn't have any game photos of me. I had to explain that not all of us possessed the type of play-making talent required to have those photos taken of us laugh

2. Aside from feeling bad for Jon, I felt great for our defense. Man, they really dominated. I don't care who the other team is, if it's an NFL team and we hold them to 58 yards of offense, that's a hell of a job and noteworthy.

3. I was glad to see Watson shake off the rust. That pass to Cooper later in the game was a thing of beauty. I think what I am looking from him now is to do that when the stakes are high. He completed that play when he already knew his defense wasn't going to allow any points. The pressure was way off. Can he do that kind of thing when it's a close game against a good team in an important game (looking at you, Baltimore).

4. Was sorry to see Hopkins miss a kick. It wasn't a layup though and the guy has really shown up otherwise. He has dispelled that notion that Bojorquez is a problem holding the ball.

5. Speaking of Bojorquez, man, that guy is a hell of a punter.

6. We really miss Chubb in the run game. Ford frustrates me sometimes because he doesn't seem to get the idea that he should just run north and take what's there. I find that incredibly frustrating when watching RBs.

7. Good to see Tillman out there. Hope he can rise up the ranks. Otherwise, we need another good WR out there.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 05:36 PM
Jake Trotter
@Jake_Trotter
·
4m
#Browns left tackle Jedrick Wills Jr. will go on injured reserve with an MCL injury in his right knee, coach Kevin Stefanski confirmed Monday. Not season-ending.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 05:37 PM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
#Browns coach Kevin Stefanski tells reporters that OT Jedrick Wills has an MCL sprain and will be placed on IR. He's expected to be back.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 05:37 PM
I'm surprised by that. He had the look of someone who knew his season was over.
Posted By: northlima dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 05:52 PM
Got tickets at last minute. Me and my son went and had a blast.
Fans were into the game, especially when we were on defense and on third downs, it was really loud.

Jed was coming off the field right beside us, and I saw him and told my son that his year is over. Glad he will be back for the stretch run.

If the playoffs start today, all 4 AFC N would be in.
I have a feeling there is going to be lots of flex scheduling happening in the next several weeks.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 06:22 PM
Holding any team to 58 yards is impressive.

The DT's all of them were really good. We gave up rushing yards the previous two weeks. Schwartz was not going to let that happen again.

Shelby Harris, Tomlinson, Elliott, Hurst were loaded for bear.

I think the game plan was spot on. Clearly KS did not DW throwing a ton of passes. The plan to run with a committee of guys and not abandon the run was important.

I particularly liked the bank shot pass for a td. That must have taken a lot of practice this past week.

Seriously DW did make some nice throws. He seemed to get loose as the game went on.

So, now we have to really get ready to face a very good Raven team. This will be a big test. Division games are always crucial. The Ravens have been on a roll. It will take a complete game to beat them.

Motivation for both teams will not be necessary. Both teams know what is on the line.

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 06:37 PM
you mentioned the DTs, and that is a good point ... Tomlinson and Harris particularly were really good yesterday
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 06:41 PM
I think you included the biggest issue in all of this. Can they use the Zona game as a building block to compete against an upper level team ? I'm sure we all hope so. While i only saw the highlights as the game went progressed on NFL Red Zone, from what I've been reading from multiple posters and reports, the way KS managed watson's passing was a thing of beauty and gave hope as he got better the longer the game wore on is a very positive sign.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 07:07 PM
This is from "Yardbarker."

In Stefanski's 3.5 years as the Browns head coach, he has compiled a home record of 20-10 at home all while having to continually shuffle the deck at quarterback.

Only five other teams in the league have at least 20 home wins since 2020.

This year specifically, the Browns are 4-1 at home and have created a legitimate home-field advantage.

In 2023 the Browns have the following home victories:

Browns 24 Bengals 3
Browns 27 Titans 3
Browns 19 49ers 17
Browns 27 Cardinals 0
Including the 28-3 loss against the Baltimore Ravens, the Browns are beating their opponents 100-51 and have dominated the teams that have come to town this year.

The next reason for the Browns' dominance at home is the play of their quarterback Deshaun Watson. Since coming to Cleveland in games that he has started, Watson is 4-1 at home and the Browns are outscoring opponents 101-26 in those five games.

This season, Watson is 3-0 as the Browns starter at home and has put together some solid stats. He is completing 67 percent of his throws for 662 yards, five touchdowns and one interception. He has also rushed for 83 yards and one score.

Watson's overall record as the Browns quarterback in 11 starts is 7-4.

Lastly, the defense has made Cleveland, Ohio a place that visiting teams do not want to visit. Not only are they holding teams to an average of 10.2 points per game, but they are stifling opposing offenses. They have now held two teams under 100 yards passing, three teams under 101 yards passing and four of the five teams under 125 yards passing.

They don't just stop your offense, they dominate it.

Cleveland has been desperate for a winner and they very well might have one on their hands this year.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 07:09 PM
Huge game this week.
Posted By: The Beast Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 07:18 PM
Next week will be a good measuring stick for DW as well as the defense. Also, does KS stay patient and not put everything on DW? Yesterday's game was an important one for KS to actually learn something. You don't need to throw it all over the yard right out of the gate. Containing Jackson has to be on the top of the list for Schwartz. I guess we're all going to see how important Wills really is since a lot of people on this board have been waiting to dump him. Hopefully Jones is up to the task AND he is given help if needed. A loss isn't the end of the season but a win would be HUGE.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 07:18 PM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
#Browns coach Kevin Stefanski tells reporters that OT Jedrick Wills has an MCL sprain and will be placed on IR. He's expected to be back.

question is what do we do in the meantime, because Hudson is god awful.. like makes cam erving look like orlando pace bad.. he's actually gotten worse this year. He cannot be the starting LT.. I'd move Bitonio over there. and find a guard unless they think they can find a PS LT somewhere. But BAL has to be licking their chops, Might see Harris in as additional blocker and we might have to run max protect all game
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 07:23 PM
We will most likely go 6 OL more now with Harris ... and go run game/PA game if possible
Posted By: bonefish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 07:32 PM
This is a big game. I am glad to be in this position.

This has been a rough year. Chubb loss. Then DW getting hurt. We are 5-3 with three division games to play.

I know the Ravens will be hard to beat. They are a damn good team. If we can win two of the division games we should be able to stay in the thick of things.

If we could win all three. We could take the division. I don't like to get too far ahead because we have nine games to play.

Every game can be rough.

So, it is all about getting ready for the Ravens. We can beat them. But we will need to play our best game. It will take all units.

Special teams has been a pleasant surprise. The kicking game has been outstanding. The defense has been really good.

Now we have to become a real offense. We need that ability to score when we have to score.

I really want to see DW put together a streak of good games.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 08:28 PM
j/c

I did not see the game. Comments are from what I have read and heard ....

We won convincingly against a very bad team.

DW looked meh early - looked good especially on some deep passes later.

Offense went back to some heavy sets and one comment I read was it was like being back to 2020 but with an elite D instead of a D that would lose games late.

Very much agree that the next 2 games are basically a determination of who we are - possibly who DW will be for the Browns. Tough games against good teams. Division rivals. 2 wins would be glorious ... a split would keep hopes alive. 0-2 would be disasterous for this season and any hopes of playoffs even if mathmatically we might remain alive.

Looking at the box score and reflecting on the Seattle game ... why did Strong only carry it 3 times? I thought he looked at least 'adequate' and comparable to Ford. Any insight welcome.

Peaking ahead after Baltimore and Pit - we've got 3 very very winnable games in Broncos, Rams and Jets ... a jekyl and hide team in the Bears who you feel we *should* beat - tougher games against Jags and Texans (who knew?) and then a season finalle vs Bengals. It'd be brilliant to have a win and you are in for the last game vs Bengals. but 1 week at a time I know.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 08:40 PM
you mentioned the DTs, and that is a good point ... Tomlinson and Harris particularly were really good yesterday

Have to mention Elliot as well. I’ve been hard on him (in other places) for his play in the past. This year he is really picked it up and is making some splash plays as well.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 09:09 PM
Posted By: The Collector Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 09:44 PM
Would totally be great if the Cincy game is a "play for seeding" game and all of the north gets in..

"knew it was going to be a dogfight, didn't know it was going to get extended into the playoffs"
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/06/23 09:45 PM
[
Originally Posted by FATE

I hope I am wrong.

Agreed, I miss his knowledge and even a bigger thing for me is I miss his sarcasm with the knowledge.

You can tell him if he comes back: I will back him in his previous quest of making sure everyone is aware that Mike White is best QB in the NFL.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/07/23 12:00 AM
Something else I have been noticing. This goes back to a bone of contention I have had for more than a few years. I have long said that fullbacks are pretty useless. My feeling is if you want a playmaker on the field, put a playmaker on the field. If blocking was what you wanted, put a back-up lineman in the game to get more blocking. I am seeing us do that. Big thumbs up from this guy.

Don't waste a darn roster spot on a useless fullback.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/07/23 02:08 AM
Something else I have been noticing. This goes back to a bone of contention I have had for more than a few years. I have long said that fullbacks are pretty useless. My feeling is if you want a playmaker on the field, put a playmaker on the field. If blocking was what you wanted, put a back-up lineman in the game to get more blocking. I am seeing us do that. Big thumbs up from this guy.

Quoted for truth.

You have been nothing, if not consistent with this p.o.v. for years.

I remember debating with you about this very thing when Lawrence Vickers was our fb. Back then, my pov was that LV was valuable as lead blocker, but could also catch for runs from the backfield, making him the more valuable/versatile roster spot.

Clearly, your premise has been validated by current CLE's approach.
Big Boy has been helping us covert 3rd & shorts all season long, and we already have pass-catching backs for plays that require such a feature.

Hats off for a call you made more than 10-15 years ago.

thumbsup

That said, there was something special about watching #47 seek out and destroy LB's on toss-sweeps. Grown-ass men flew backward when they met this man in the hole. He was the one, true Football Hardass on a Browns team that was regarded, league-wide... as- soft, back then.

Nobody ever talked s# about Lawrence Vickers.
Nobody.

Bro- if ya can't tell from my post- I'm still a fan.
#47: Old School Football.

I'm showing my age.
wink
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/07/23 05:28 AM
Originally Posted by Clemdawg

Quoted for truth.

You have been nothing, if not consistent with this p.o.v. for years.

I remember debating with you about this very thing when Lawrence Vickers was our fb. Back then, my pov was that LV was valuable as lead blocker, but could also catch for runs from the backfield, making him the more valuable/versatile roster spot.

Clearly, your premise has been validated by current CLE's approach.
Big Boy has been helping us covert 3rd & shorts all season long, and we already have pass-catching backs for plays that require such a feature.

Hats off for a call you made more than 10-15 years ago.

thumbsup

That said, there was something special about watching #47 seek out and destroy LB's on toss-sweeps. Grown-ass men flew backward when they met this man in the hole. He was the one, true Football Hardass on a Browns team that was regarded, league-wide... as- soft, back then.

Nobody.

I'm showing my age.
wink

I absolutely loved watching Vickers block for Jamal Lewis and Peyton Hillis! He was a great blocking FB.

He was no Owen Marecic though. rofl
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/07/23 10:14 AM

Nobody.

I'm showing my age.

I get it, and talking about things discussed 10-15 years ago like they were last week is showing signs of age....lol.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/07/23 11:53 AM
When the Browns started lining up Nick Harris in the fullback slot. I loved it.

All the BS about KS not using the strengths of his players. Harris is a 300 center with quick feet.

We don't have Nick Chubb. Putting Harris in as a lead blocker for Kareem is golden. Kareem is one the best short yardage guys in the league.

Harris gets a running start at the hole. He can open a clear wedge for Kareem.

KS has been using Bryant, Kareem, and Ford in direct snaps with options. The goal line play with Bryant handing off to Kareem worked to perfection.

There is no replacing Nicolas Chubb. However, we are third in team rushing.

That has been a product of scheme from KS.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/07/23 01:39 PM
Vickers: A number of years ago, when ever he played for the Browns, I casually told my wife "They call him the Bodyguard because of how he blocks."

Guess what I got for Christmas that year. A #47 Browns jersey with "Bodyguard" on the back as the name.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/07/23 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by The Collector
Would totally be great if the Cincy game is a "play for seeding" game and all of the north gets in..

"knew it was going to be a dogfight, didn't know it was going to get extended into the playoffs"
There is NO way, no way no way, No Way all of the north gets in the playoffs.

Just look at the rules, ok, how could we make a way?

One, Reallign the Panthers to the AFC south this year for the Texans
Two, remove the 2nd place team in the AFC east from contention,
Oh that wouldn't work,

Really, by rule, current rules the Div winner from all four Div get the top 4 playoff spots.

and the first tie breaker beyond overall record and head to head play between an Afc North team and teams other div, is whoever was closest to reaching first place in their own division.

In Order for all 4 of a single div's teams to make the playoffs
the 4th place team in that div.
must have at least a half game better overall record than the 2nd place team in all 3 of the other same conference divisions records.

Not by rule, but by just how all the rules make it end up working out,
How the schedules are made, everything.

Not only would the Browns have to pretty much sweep the Texans, Jags, Broncos and Jets
But the Bengals would also have to do similar to whoever the two teams they play in the east and west, Bills and ? KC
and the Ravens the same, ? Oak or LA Charger and Miami or Ne
and Pittsburgh the same, whichever two of those 4 are on their schedule.

Basically your whole Div would just have to landslide the rest of the AFC and that doesn't happen, because of a number of things

And while doing that, to make it work out by record,
Your own div. would also have to about split with each other 3 and 3 across the board. It's virtually not possible
but with God all things are possible.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/07/23 04:14 PM
I think we should get rid of the divisions all together ... my idea:

- move to an 18 game schedule
- you would play everyone in your conference once (that is 15 games)
- you would play 3 teams from the other conference on a rotating basis (that is the other 3 games)

top 8 records from each conference gets in
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/07/23 04:26 PM
Thru 8 games it has happened. I think it is a long shot, but it is possible. Let's just say the Browns, Bengals, and Steelers all end up at 10-7. So, each would go 5-4 the remainder of the way. That is not impossible.

The Bills would have to go 5-3 to tie
The Jets 6-3 to tie
Texans would have to go 6-4 to tie
Colts would have to go 6-2 to tie
Chargers would have to go 6-4 to tie
Raiders would have to go 6-2 to tie
Titans would have to go 7-2 to tie
Broncos would have to go 7-2 to tie

To this point in the season Only the Dolphins 6-3, Ravens, 7-2, Jags 6-2, and Chiefs 7-2 have played better ball than what is needed to get above 10 wins. So realistically the Bills, Texans, and Chargers have the best odds to get to 10 wins. The 3 AFC North teams have a good shot if they continue to play at the same level thru 8 games. Not saying it will happen but they each have better odds than the other contenders.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/07/23 04:31 PM

I chuckled and thought of you posting this when I noticed us doing this
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/07/23 05:14 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/07/23 05:39 PM
what this means is we need to do it more lol .... if the line can hold up
Posted By: bonefish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/07/23 06:09 PM
Looks to me like all the Board doctors were wrong.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/07/23 06:12 PM
I think the only thing that you call "board doctors" said on here was that they hoped they weren't rushing watson back too soon. I had no idea anyone would consider that a diagnosis. As a matter of fact it's not and nobody needs to be a doctor to hope he is healthy before he is put on the field. Actually one would think that everyone would have hoped for the same thing.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/07/23 06:24 PM
what this means is we need to do it more lol .... if the line can hold up

There was a lot to like in those clips beyond his accuracy and touch on those passes too. Also:

1. His footwork moving around in the pocket on those first two plays was really nice.
2. When he was moving in the pocket, he kept his head up and maintained looking downfield when pressure was applied. This was a concern some of us had early on when he started playing for us. I hope that means things are continuing to slow down for him.
3. He had no issues really staying in the pocket waiting for the play to develop and throw. I think the last two plays were good examples of that.

But agreed....the line would need to hold and give him the time needed and for the play to develop. And these are only five plays, so there could be others where he didn't do that stuff. In fact, I'm quite certain there were plays when he didn't do that stuff. But on all 15+ yard throws, he looked good. He looked really good.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/07/23 06:32 PM
I read comments like "they should sit him for the year."

"he won't be able to take a hit." Play him and he will be back on the bench.

There were plenty of Board doctors talking about his injury with absolutely zero credible information.

I am not referring to rushing him back or what they were hoping for.

I am talking about a medical diagnosis and the condition of his shoulder.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/07/23 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by bonefish
I read comments like "they should sit him for the year."

"he won't be able to take a hit." Play him and he will be back on the bench.

There were plenty of Board doctors talking about his injury with absolutely zero credible information.

I am not referring to rushing him back or what they were hoping for.

I am talking about a medical diagnosis and the condition of his shoulder.

Someone also concluded he might be suffering from depression. rolleyes
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/07/23 06:46 PM
It's not as though I don't get what you're saying. I guess we just differ in what I think are simply opinions and what you are describing as a doctor's diagnosis.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/07/23 11:23 PM
Yes I can confirm that Ballpeen has said that for years. And it makes perfect sense if you really think about it. Maybe we’re setting up Tricky Nick for one of those ‘Big Man Catches Football’ moments near the goal line. That’d be cool
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/08/23 05:25 PM
I saw a couple where he put some zip behind it, but I saw far more where WR was WIDE open.

I saw a lot of throws to Cooper. I think only 1-2 went to someone other than Cooper (hard to tell on some).
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/08/23 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by oobernoober
I saw a couple where he put some zip behind it, but I saw far more where WR was WIDE open.

I saw a lot of throws to Cooper. I think only 1-2 went to someone other than Cooper (hard to tell on some).

Ford led the team with 7 targets. Njoku had 6. Cooper 5. Akins 3. Moore and Goodwin with 2. Tillman, Strong, and Hunt had 1 a piece.
link
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/09/23 01:44 AM
j/c

Any news on Marquis Goodwin?
He looked very wobbly after that almost-catch, and I've heard nothing further.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/09/23 04:48 PM
He is in concussion protocol.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/09/23 06:06 PM
His legs were rubber after that play.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/09/23 08:49 PM
Given this and the blood clot issue, it might be in his best interest to hang up the cleats. He's 32, 5-9" and 185lbs.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/09/23 08:55 PM
I forgot about the clots.
Scary stuff.
© DawgTalkers.net