Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Legend
Legend
L
We need Watson to really earn his money next week. If we lose we’re still in the wildcard hunt but the division likely out of reach

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Rishuz
The season is next week. We cannot lose next week.

No it isn't.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
2 members like this: MemphisBrownie, ScottPlayersFacemask
L
Legend
Legend
L
Correct, it isn’t.

gmstrong

-----------------

B
Legend
Legend
B
Very nice game. Exactly what we needed.

It was rocking at the stadium. No doubt this D feeds off the enery the fans bring. I already have a slightly gravel voice. By moring i suspect it will be full-fledged.

We ran the ball well early. It started to shut down late when we were running with the lead and the Cards were playing full run D. Both teams were pretty happy to keep the clock running.

A guy I have been meaning to mention....Mr. Elliott looks like a different player under Schwartz. He has been fairly disruptive all season.

Corey punted his butt off. He should get ST player of the week consideration. He kept kicking bombs all game long.

Watson looked pretty good. He had a few head scratching short throws, but he threw some beautiful deep balls and he had good velocity. One thing I really liked is he went to his checkdown fairly often. Something he didn't do earlier this season. Ford caught 4-5 of them for decent yardage. It was a nice "rehab" assignment. He isn't 100%, you saw some signs his shoulder was at least a bit stiff, but whatever percentage he is, that is better than 100% of whoever else we think of playing back there.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Psydeffect
Legend
Legend
one thing I've noticed with Watson: he's a very emotional player ... meaning: if he has a good play, he seems to really build off of it. He can get it rolling (or vice versa) more than most QBs

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I think a fully healthy DW with more live game reps will turn out OK for us. I'm not saying he'll be a top 5 QB but good enough. JMO

L
Legend
Legend
L
I liked the play with Kareem in wildcat, runs to the right fakes the end-around then started north. We ran that twice today, the other with Ford. Something to think about for down the road. Btw, anyone hear from eotab?

gmstrong

-----------------

1 member likes this: FORTBROWNFAN
Legend
Legend
I agree with that lamp: sometimes the fake end arounds are more effective

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by lampdogg
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I forgot: Bojorquez had maybe the most perfect punt I've ever seen ... 73 yard punt that literally died at the 1

Haha, our kickers have been kicking the hell out of the football this year. Boroquez had a couple other boomers today, in addition to that one. I mean he’s mashing the pigskin.

With seven punts that 73 yarder didn't have a ton of statistical influence -- 58.6 average. I only remember one subpar (by his standards) punt.

BTW... I didn't even know this 'til last week, blew my mind...

Ryan Stonehouse went from undrafted to breaking a record more than 80 years old in his rookie season in the NFL. The Tennessee Titans punter broke the record for single-season punting average with a mark of 53.1 yards per kick. He shattered the previous record of 51.4 set by Hall of Famer Sammy Baugh in 1940.

saywhat

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #2040586 11/05/23 11:43 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
I’m going to call him bojo from now on

gmstrong

-----------------

Legend
Legend
I like it.

Legend
Legend
Oh yeah... most impressive to me as I kept begging our offense to pick up a couple first downs, afraid we would give up the 'under 100' on defense.

Browns went up 27-0 with 7:48 left. Cards had three possessions to produce some "garbage time" stats... 12 plays / -3 yards.

That's playing four quarters. That's pride. That's domination.

2 members like this: FORTBROWNFAN, JimDawg
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Jester
The season is next week. We cannot lose next week.

I would say the season is the next 2 weeks.
Must find a way to beat both Baltimore and Pittsburgh

I agree with both of you.

A team than can't win in its division doesn't deserve the playoffs. Those teams that occasionally 'beat the odds' usually get exposed in the first round.

CLE needs to establish themselves, if they are to establish themselves as a legitimate playoff team.
These next 2 weeks will show Browns fans what kind of team they are following in 2023.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
2 members like this: Jester, Cleats
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
9 games left in the season. Now's the time that the contenders really start showing their faces. Odd flukey things from the beginning start to get refined out. No advantage of catching a team off guard. Already in the grind and adjustments start to get made. Team could easily be 5 - 5 in 2 weeks. Winning one of these games over the next 2 weeks puts less pressure on the season. Won't say the rest of the schedule is a cakewalk. But the toughest games on the schedule are all divisional games. As I don't think the division is going to be decided until week 18.

Jags look dangerous.
Houston has something in Stroud
Broncos could easily be 5-5 and ready to shift their season when the teams meet

If the playoffs started today. The entire division would get in the playoffs. Gonna be a Dawg fight

Legend
Legend
I think the game vs Pittsburgh is the most important game of the year ... and the last game at Cincy will probably be a win and in scenario for both

B
Legend
Legend
B
I liked the play with Kareem in wildcat, runs to the right fakes the end-around then started north. We ran that twice today, the other with Ford. Something to think about for down the road. Btw, anyone hear from eotab?

No. I was thinking about Eo the other day. I know he wasn't doing well, so this absence during the season isn't a good sign..

I hope I am wrong.

That is the deal with these places. When people stop posting, many times you can pretty much surmise they just got tired of the place and moved on. Other times, you just don't know, especially when it is a person who has been a regular poster for over 20 years.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Great win !

Watson looked good with the long ball

A little struggles with the short routes, I was glad they kept playing those plays

It was like a live practice for DW to work on his timing and rhythm and prepare for this weeks game

The Defense, Congrats on the egg ! Hope they can play the same against the Ravens

What worries me a little, is I hope they realize it will be a much better Offense

I shut my eyes when PJ Walker came in

Really is a big difference with DW as QB

Legend
Legend
58 yds.

That's absurd.

How is that even possible. Y i k e s

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
I thought this was an important game for Watson to come back for to get his sea legs under him ahead of a tough two-game stretch. For the most part, I think we saw his arm strength come back as he wasn't shot-putting the ball and, although he was inconsistent early on, settled down and had himself a nice game. His two tosses to Cooper were beautiful (especially that last one was perfect placement) and hope the game was able to slow down for him after being out. He still has some work ahead of him to get back to normal, but I liked what I saw, overall, coming back.

- I think the OL has been inconsistent all year and the loss of Wills does us no favors. Not sure how the FO feels with Hudson starting back there. We'll see.
- Jerome Ford has grown a lot as an RB over the past few weeks, but overall, this running game doesn't really do much for me. At this point, I'd like to see more Strong over Hunt and that's not a good thing. Couple in injuries and inconsistency from the OL, next week is going to be tough for the running game, I'm guessing.
- DL was dominant all day long. Felt kinda bad for their QB after awhile.
- Proche added a bit more to the returns, which was nice.
- Great athletic play by Takitaki to get that INT. Also, part of the play was rookie Isaiah McGuire pushing his lineman back towards Clayton Tune. McGuire has been inactive for a bunch of games (maybe all up until this one?) so it was nice to see him getting into the DL pressure party.
- Emerson continues to look fantastic. Ward is having a Pro Bowl season, arguably.
- Start those Delpit contract extension talks (if they haven't already)
- Another great coaching performance all around to get the goose egg. I don't how bad a team might be perceived, that's not easy to do in the NFL.
- Really like the LB combo of JOK and Walker.
- TONS of injuries for the Browns yesterday. Hope they can manage as much as possible heading into Baltimore.

BAL -5.5
Over/Under 39.5

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

No. I was thinking about Eo the other day. I know he wasn't doing well, so this absence during the season isn't a good sign..

I hope I am wrong.

That is the deal with these places. When people stop posting, many times you can pretty much surmise they just got tired of the place and moved on. Other times, you just don't know, especially when it is a person who has been a regular poster for over 20 years.
speaking of which ... has anyone heard from either Diam or cfrs ?

M
Legend
Legend
M

I hope I am wrong.

cfrs is not coming back apparently. The NYJ game of last year was the nail in the coffin for him. But I'm working on changing his mind.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Winning games that you expect the Browns to win...SO RELAXING.

I will allow myself to enjoy this win for a bit...

Now, back to reality...the Browns just played the worst team in the NFL...this week we play one of the best teams in the NFL.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

I hope I am wrong.

cfrs is not coming back apparently. The NYJ game of last year was the nail in the coffin for him. But I'm working on changing his mind.
that was a brutal loss for sure ... tell him we miss him

1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
it was apparent pretty quickly yesterday that the Cardinals would not score a TD with their offense, and the only chance of a FG was if we gave them a short field

Legend
Legend

I hope I am wrong.

I'll confidently speak for others and say that's a big WE. His football knowledge is sorely missed around these parts.

1 member likes this: jfanent
FATE #2040649 11/06/23 12:57 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FATE

I hope I am wrong.

I'll confidently speak for others and say that's a big WE. His football knowledge is sorely missed around these parts.
no doubt .. he was a top tier guy here

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
1. I feel bad for Gannon, my fellow Wildcat alum. If any of you were members at Westwood Country Club back in 1997, there was a decent chance that either he or I caddied for you that year. I laughed when they showed the high school photos of him. Those were straight out of our yearbook. I went upstairs and brought it down and showed those same photos to my son after the game was over. Also showed him pics of Brian Hoyer from that year (freshman) and Anthony Gonzalez (sophomore). Then he asked me why they didn't have any game photos of me. I had to explain that not all of us possessed the type of play-making talent required to have those photos taken of us laugh

2. Aside from feeling bad for Jon, I felt great for our defense. Man, they really dominated. I don't care who the other team is, if it's an NFL team and we hold them to 58 yards of offense, that's a hell of a job and noteworthy.

3. I was glad to see Watson shake off the rust. That pass to Cooper later in the game was a thing of beauty. I think what I am looking from him now is to do that when the stakes are high. He completed that play when he already knew his defense wasn't going to allow any points. The pressure was way off. Can he do that kind of thing when it's a close game against a good team in an important game (looking at you, Baltimore).

4. Was sorry to see Hopkins miss a kick. It wasn't a layup though and the guy has really shown up otherwise. He has dispelled that notion that Bojorquez is a problem holding the ball.

5. Speaking of Bojorquez, man, that guy is a hell of a punter.

6. We really miss Chubb in the run game. Ford frustrates me sometimes because he doesn't seem to get the idea that he should just run north and take what's there. I find that incredibly frustrating when watching RBs.

7. Good to see Tillman out there. Hope he can rise up the ranks. Otherwise, we need another good WR out there.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Jake Trotter
@Jake_Trotter
·
4m
#Browns left tackle Jedrick Wills Jr. will go on injured reserve with an MCL injury in his right knee, coach Kevin Stefanski confirmed Monday. Not season-ending.

Legend
Legend
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
#Browns coach Kevin Stefanski tells reporters that OT Jedrick Wills has an MCL sprain and will be placed on IR. He's expected to be back.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm surprised by that. He had the look of someone who knew his season was over.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Got tickets at last minute. Me and my son went and had a blast.
Fans were into the game, especially when we were on defense and on third downs, it was really loud.

Jed was coming off the field right beside us, and I saw him and told my son that his year is over. Glad he will be back for the stretch run.

If the playoffs start today, all 4 AFC N would be in.
I have a feeling there is going to be lots of flex scheduling happening in the next several weeks.

2 members like this: FATE, EveDawg
Legend
Legend
Holding any team to 58 yards is impressive.

The DT's all of them were really good. We gave up rushing yards the previous two weeks. Schwartz was not going to let that happen again.

Shelby Harris, Tomlinson, Elliott, Hurst were loaded for bear.

I think the game plan was spot on. Clearly KS did not DW throwing a ton of passes. The plan to run with a committee of guys and not abandon the run was important.

I particularly liked the bank shot pass for a td. That must have taken a lot of practice this past week.

Seriously DW did make some nice throws. He seemed to get loose as the game went on.

So, now we have to really get ready to face a very good Raven team. This will be a big test. Division games are always crucial. The Ravens have been on a roll. It will take a complete game to beat them.

Motivation for both teams will not be necessary. Both teams know what is on the line.

Legend
Legend
you mentioned the DTs, and that is a good point ... Tomlinson and Harris particularly were really good yesterday

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think you included the biggest issue in all of this. Can they use the Zona game as a building block to compete against an upper level team ? I'm sure we all hope so. While i only saw the highlights as the game went progressed on NFL Red Zone, from what I've been reading from multiple posters and reports, the way KS managed watson's passing was a thing of beauty and gave hope as he got better the longer the game wore on is a very positive sign.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
This is from "Yardbarker."

In Stefanski's 3.5 years as the Browns head coach, he has compiled a home record of 20-10 at home all while having to continually shuffle the deck at quarterback.

Only five other teams in the league have at least 20 home wins since 2020.

This year specifically, the Browns are 4-1 at home and have created a legitimate home-field advantage.

In 2023 the Browns have the following home victories:

Browns 24 Bengals 3
Browns 27 Titans 3
Browns 19 49ers 17
Browns 27 Cardinals 0
Including the 28-3 loss against the Baltimore Ravens, the Browns are beating their opponents 100-51 and have dominated the teams that have come to town this year.

The next reason for the Browns' dominance at home is the play of their quarterback Deshaun Watson. Since coming to Cleveland in games that he has started, Watson is 4-1 at home and the Browns are outscoring opponents 101-26 in those five games.

This season, Watson is 3-0 as the Browns starter at home and has put together some solid stats. He is completing 67 percent of his throws for 662 yards, five touchdowns and one interception. He has also rushed for 83 yards and one score.

Watson's overall record as the Browns quarterback in 11 starts is 7-4.

Lastly, the defense has made Cleveland, Ohio a place that visiting teams do not want to visit. Not only are they holding teams to an average of 10.2 points per game, but they are stifling opposing offenses. They have now held two teams under 100 yards passing, three teams under 101 yards passing and four of the five teams under 125 yards passing.

They don't just stop your offense, they dominate it.

Cleveland has been desperate for a winner and they very well might have one on their hands this year.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Huge game this week.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Next week will be a good measuring stick for DW as well as the defense. Also, does KS stay patient and not put everything on DW? Yesterday's game was an important one for KS to actually learn something. You don't need to throw it all over the yard right out of the gate. Containing Jackson has to be on the top of the list for Schwartz. I guess we're all going to see how important Wills really is since a lot of people on this board have been waiting to dump him. Hopefully Jones is up to the task AND he is given help if needed. A loss isn't the end of the season but a win would be HUGE.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
L
Legend
Legend
L
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
#Browns coach Kevin Stefanski tells reporters that OT Jedrick Wills has an MCL sprain and will be placed on IR. He's expected to be back.

question is what do we do in the meantime, because Hudson is god awful.. like makes cam erving look like orlando pace bad.. he's actually gotten worse this year. He cannot be the starting LT.. I'd move Bitonio over there. and find a guard unless they think they can find a PS LT somewhere. But BAL has to be licking their chops, Might see Harris in as additional blocker and we might have to run max protect all game

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 27 Cardinals 0 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard