DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Dawgs4Life The Return of NES - 07/23/16 10:47 AM
Nintendo is releasing a miniature NES with 30 built-in games

Launches in November for $59.99

By Andrew Webster

Nintendo is bringing back the NES — only a little smaller.

Today the company announced what it's calling the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition. It looks just like a NES, only a lot tinier, and it comes with 30 games built in. You can connect it to your TV via a HDMI cable, and it also includes a controller designed to work just like the iconic rectangular NES gamepad. (The new controller will also connect to a Wii Remote, so that you can use it to play Virtual Console games on a Wii or Wii U.)

In addition to HDMI support and a lack of cartridges, the new mini-console also features one useful modern convenience: multiple suspend points, so that you won't have to fumble around with passwords when you start playing a game again. The NES Classic Edition will be available on November 11th for $59.99.

Here's the complete list of games:

Balloon Fight
Bubble Bobble
Castlevania
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Dr. Mario
Excitebike
Final Fantasy
Galaga
Ghosts'N Goblins
Gradius
Ice Climber
Kid Icarus
Kirby's Adventure
Mario Bros.
Mega Man 2
Metroid
Ninja Gaiden
Pac-Man
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics
Super C
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tecmo Bowl
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/14/12187296/nintendo-nes-classic-edition-announced-price-games

Between Mario, Mario 3, Tecmo, and Bubble Bobble, I may not move from my couch for weeks
Posted By: Haus Re: The Return of NES - 07/23/16 09:41 PM
Awesome idea. I will probably pick one of those up as I played a lot of those games when I was younger. I wish it included Baseball Stars.
Posted By: Cyberdawg4h Re: The Return of NES - 07/24/16 11:26 AM
Only drawback I've heard so far is that the old gray carts won't work/be usable on it. Shame too. I still have my Super Tecmo Bowl.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: The Return of NES - 07/25/16 02:52 PM
Holy crap... I'm totally buying one.
Might have to see if I can pre-order so that I don't forget.

One shame - it doesn't have the ability to download additional games (or I haven't seen that ability listed). That would have been great to have!
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: The Return of NES - 07/25/16 03:03 PM
Castle Vania, heck yeah! It's tempting, but I know after a few weeks - it'd probably turn into another dust collector. Hopefully one of my gaming buds gets one so I can jam out on some CV/Super Mario Bros.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: The Return of NES - 07/25/16 03:51 PM
Quote:
I still have my Super Tecmo Bowl.

Best. Game. Ever.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: The Return of NES - 07/25/16 04:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Castle Vania, heck yeah! It's tempting, but I know after a few weeks - it'd probably turn into another dust collector. Hopefully one of my gaming buds gets one so I can jam out on some CV/Super Mario Bros.

Between Castelvania and Final Fantasy, it's an absolute no-brainer for me!!
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: The Return of NES - 07/25/16 05:12 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

I was on the fence now I am completely off. I plan on making my own retro console with a RasberryPi 3B with RetroPi installed. I just don't like the fact that #1 There is no cartridge slot (the one showing is for ascetics and is not really a slot) and #2 There is no way to add more games later.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: The Return of NES - 07/25/16 05:17 PM
No cartridge means you don't need to constantly be blowing into it, hoping it reads and play afterwards hahaha.

This modern society is way too lazy to be having to do that wink ah, the good ole' days.
Posted By: Arps Re: The Return of NES - 07/25/16 08:51 PM
While I have fond memories of some of those games, its going to be hard to go back to those graphics!
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: The Return of NES - 07/26/16 05:20 PM
I find it to be not hard at all. The gameplay was just GOOD.

I still regularly play the original Master of Orion in an emulator simply because the game was really good. The graphics didn't matter.

If anything, the one thing that is difficult is the timing. The pauses and slower pace of telling the computer what you want it to do can get old, but other than that, I still dig the old games.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Return of NES - 07/26/16 05:38 PM
I was a huge Mario, Mario 3, SNES Mario, and Mario 64 ... just classic games that never got old for me
Posted By: brownsfan2119 Re: The Return of NES - 07/26/16 08:01 PM
I just played and beat Super Mario Bros 3 a few weeks back, tons of fun still.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: The Return of NES - 07/27/16 08:50 PM
NES:

PS4:

rofl
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Return of NES - 07/27/16 11:33 PM
haha wow
Posted By: Haus Re: The Return of NES - 07/28/16 08:48 PM
That difference is incredible. I'd say that if I were hooked on PS4 games, it would be tough to go back to NES games.

I really haven't played new video games in a while now though. They take too much time to be competitive at and they're too addicting. I'm actually cool just playing some of the old classics here and there now. I find it more relaxing and enjoyable.
Posted By: Haus Re: The Return of NES - 07/28/16 08:53 PM

Final Fantasy is a great game. It has great replay value with the different teams you can pick. Do you want a powerhouse team that bulldozes through the game? Go 2x Fighters and 2x Red mages. Something tougher? Mix and match the other four characters. or do something silly like a solo challenge, duo challenge, or 4x white mages.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: The Return of NES - 07/28/16 11:51 PM
Value of PS4: $280
Value of NES (Childhood Memories): Priceless
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Return of NES - 07/29/16 12:38 AM
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Value of PS4: $280
Value of NES (Childhood Memories): Priceless

agreed
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: The Return of NES - 07/29/16 01:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Haus

Final Fantasy is a great game. It has great replay value with the different teams you can pick. Do you want a powerhouse team that bulldozes through the game? Go 2x Fighters and 2x Red mages. Something tougher? Mix and match the other four characters. or do something silly like a solo challenge, duo challenge, or 4x white mages.

Final Fantasy IV (or II for US Version) is probably one of my favorite games of all time. Not an NES game but still with the theme.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: The Return of NES - 07/29/16 01:33 PM
My go-to was always fighter, thief, white mage, black mage.

I hated the black belt.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: The Return of NES - 07/29/16 01:41 PM
My brother and I played Contra (which I'm shocked hasn't been mentioned yet within a nes thread and even more shocked it's not one of the 30 preloaded games.)

Up up down down... Hahahahahha I'll never forget that stupid sequence.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: The Return of NES - 07/29/16 02:33 PM
left, right, left, right, b, a, b, a, select, start.

Is that it?
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: The Return of NES - 07/29/16 02:58 PM
Close, after the left/right sequences, it's just B then A then start. 30 lives!
Posted By: clevesteve Re: The Return of NES - 07/29/16 03:09 PM
"The Konami Code." Worked on several of their games.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: The Return of NES - 07/29/16 04:08 PM
Close, after the left/right sequences, it's just B then A then start. 30 lives!

NO WONDER I WAS NEVER ABLE TO GET IT!

ARRGH!!
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: The Return of NES - 07/29/16 04:16 PM
Hahahahahha!!!! After all these years!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Return of NES - 07/31/16 10:56 AM
I'll never forget the "HUT HUT HUT HUT" sound of Tecmo Super Bowl. And the fact that Bo Jackson and Jerry Rice were basically unstoppable.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: The Return of NES - 07/31/16 02:32 PM
The Kansas City Chiefs were my team.

That Offense was tough to stop. The Nigerian Nightmare would murder people. Plus I was a big Derrick Thomas fan.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Return of NES - 07/31/16 04:36 PM
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
The Kansas City Chiefs were my team.

That Offense was tough to stop. The Nigerian Nightmare would murder people. Plus I was a big Derrick Thomas fan.

forgot about Okoye. nearly unstoppable as well
Posted By: Haus Re: The Return of NES - 08/01/16 09:49 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Final Fantasy IV (or II for US Version) is probably one of my favorite games of all time. Not an NES game but still with the theme.

That is one of my favorites as well. I like those old school RPGs. Add FF VI (FF 3 U.S. for the non-geeks out there) and Chrono Trigger to that list as well.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: The Return of NES - 08/02/16 04:30 PM
No MIKE TYSON'S Punch-Out??
Posted By: 1488 Re: The Return of NES - 08/02/16 04:59 PM
It's actually up.up.down.down.left.right.left.right.b.a start
Posted By: 1488 Re: The Return of NES - 08/02/16 04:59 PM
And no contra....won't be buying.
Posted By: YepTheBrownsRule Re: The Return of NES - 08/02/16 09:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Brownoholic
No MIKE TYSON'S Punch-Out??

It has Punchout. It hasn't been called Mike Tyson's Punchout since their licensing agreement with him expired. Considering the age of the game and his checkered past, I don't see them doing any type of new contract for it.
Posted By: Haus Re: The Return of NES - 08/02/16 10:16 PM
Correct.

Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream is essentially the same game as Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

The main difference is the last character's sprite was changed from Mike Tyson to Mr. Dream, who is basically Piston Honda with a palette swap but he retains the original Mike Tyson gameplay and mechanics.
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: The Return of NES - 08/14/16 10:30 PM
I only played with the Browns...Kevin Mack oh yeah breaking tackles..Slaughter, Langhorne...won a few tourny's with that team.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Return of NES - 08/20/16 10:34 AM
Originally Posted By: dawgpound101
I only played with the Browns...Kevin Mack oh yeah breaking tackles..Slaughter, Langhorne...won a few tourny's with that team.

I remember Mack was a truck ... one of the tougher backs to bring down
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: The Return of NES - 08/20/16 06:29 PM
That difference is incredible. I'd say that if I were hooked on PS4 games, it would be tough to go back to NES games.

I really haven't played new video games in a while now though. They take too much time to be competitive at and they're too addicting. I'm actually cool just playing some of the old classics here and there now. I find it more relaxing and enjoyable.

As someone who has a ps4 and games quite a bit in my free time, I can say that the old NES/SNES/Genesis/etc era of video games still hold up today. Graphics-wise, no, but gameplay and story have always carried those games. Plus the whole nostalgia angle.

For as cool as this NES release is, I literally have every single NES, SNES, and Genesis game on my computer in a file that doesn't even reach more than a gig or two. You can buy USB knock offs of the old controllers on amazon for under 10 bucks, and you are good to go.

I've even introduced some of these old games to my niece and nephew who are 8 and 10 years old, and they actually dig the games, which is cool. I would think they would see it as lame, but the were really into them.

SNES was such an underrated system. So many awesome games, and probably my favorite Zelda game in the series (Link to the Past)
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Return of NES - 08/22/16 09:31 AM
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn

As someone who has a ps4 and games quite a bit in my free time, I can say that the old NES/SNES/Genesis/etc era of video games still hold up today. Graphics-wise, no, but gameplay and story have always carried those games. Plus the whole nostalgia angle.

For as cool as this NES release is, I literally have every single NES, SNES, and Genesis game on my computer in a file that doesn't even reach more than a gig or two. You can buy USB knock offs of the old controllers on amazon for under 10 bucks, and you are good to go.

I've even introduced some of these old games to my niece and nephew who are 8 and 10 years old, and they actually dig the games, which is cool. I would think they would see it as lame, but the were really into them.

SNES was such an underrated system. So many awesome games, and probably my favorite Zelda game in the series (Link to the Past)

Graphics aside, those NES and SNES games were more entertaining to me than some of today's games. Maybe it was the novelty or the nostalgia, but I could spend hours playing without becoming bored.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: The Return of NES - 08/25/16 05:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Graphics aside, those NES and SNES games were more entertaining to me than some of today's games. Maybe it was the novelty or the nostalgia, but I could spend hours playing without becoming bored.

That's because they have what many of today's games lack: gameplay, replayability, and storylines.

All of us "old school" gamers saw the decline as it was happening. As graphics cards got more powerful, game developers continually focused more and more on eye candy and 'brain candy' went by the wayside.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: The Return of NES - 08/25/16 06:39 PM
I don't know, I think the main reason NES games seemed so much better is because I hadn't hit puberty yet.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: The Return of NES - 08/28/16 06:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

That's because they have what many of today's games lack: gameplay, replayability, and storylines.

All of us "old school" gamers saw the decline as it was happening. As graphics cards got more powerful, game developers continually focused more and more on eye candy and 'brain candy' went by the wayside.

Totally agree. I enjoy today's games, but they really are driven more by online play and 100% completition. Fetch quests can be repetitive and seem like work as well. I finished Far Cry 4, and it was a fun game with a ton of fun stuff to do, but if you don't search for some of the side items, and stick with the main story, you can get through the game in 2-3 days.

There really wasn't any of that back then. Game makers were forced to produce a game with a hefty storyline.

I'm still an offline player with my games. There are still great games with great stories, and awesome replayability. I don't mind the Far Cry series and the Assassin's Creed series, but they don't compare to games like Fallout, and the Witcher. But again, I payed 14 bucks for Far Cry 4, and 18 for ACBF, so at that value, you get a fun game to mess around with.

I feel like the market today for good to great games is fair, if you are willing to wait past the release day. I almost never buy games right away. Amazon knocks the price down a month or two after release.

Although I will say that sports games today are so much better. Having your own franchise mode and being able to operate your team as a GM and a coach is awesome. I literally learned the way the transfer window works in soccer because of FIFA. It really is pretty lifelike to run a franchise.

I also love the game mode where you create your own guy and you only control that guy as he progresses as a pro athlete. I used to love having a guy through NCAA and into Madden. So awesome.
© DawgTalkers.net