Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1133830 07/23/16 06:47 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Nintendo is releasing a miniature NES with 30 built-in games

Launches in November for $59.99

By Andrew Webster

Nintendo is bringing back the NES — only a little smaller.

Today the company announced what it's calling the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition. It looks just like a NES, only a lot tinier, and it comes with 30 games built in. You can connect it to your TV via a HDMI cable, and it also includes a controller designed to work just like the iconic rectangular NES gamepad. (The new controller will also connect to a Wii Remote, so that you can use it to play Virtual Console games on a Wii or Wii U.)

In addition to HDMI support and a lack of cartridges, the new mini-console also features one useful modern convenience: multiple suspend points, so that you won't have to fumble around with passwords when you start playing a game again. The NES Classic Edition will be available on November 11th for $59.99.

Here's the complete list of games:

Balloon Fight
Bubble Bobble
Castlevania
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Dr. Mario
Excitebike
Final Fantasy
Galaga
Ghosts'N Goblins
Gradius
Ice Climber
Kid Icarus
Kirby's Adventure
Mario Bros.
Mega Man 2
Metroid
Ninja Gaiden
Pac-Man
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics
Super C
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tecmo Bowl
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/14/12187296/nintendo-nes-classic-edition-announced-price-games

Between Mario, Mario 3, Tecmo, and Bubble Bobble, I may not move from my couch for weeks

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Awesome idea. I will probably pick one of those up as I played a lot of those games when I was younger. I wish it included Baseball Stars.

C
All Pro
All Pro
C
Only drawback I've heard so far is that the old gray carts won't work/be usable on it. Shame too. I still have my Super Tecmo Bowl.

Legend
Legend
Holy crap... I'm totally buying one.
Might have to see if I can pre-order so that I don't forget.

One shame - it doesn't have the ability to download additional games (or I haven't seen that ability listed). That would have been great to have!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Castle Vania, heck yeah! It's tempting, but I know after a few weeks - it'd probably turn into another dust collector. Hopefully one of my gaming buds gets one so I can jam out on some CV/Super Mario Bros.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
I still have my Super Tecmo Bowl.

Best. Game. Ever.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Castle Vania, heck yeah! It's tempting, but I know after a few weeks - it'd probably turn into another dust collector. Hopefully one of my gaming buds gets one so I can jam out on some CV/Super Mario Bros.

Between Castelvania and Final Fantasy, it's an absolute no-brainer for me!!

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

I was on the fence now I am completely off. I plan on making my own retro console with a RasberryPi 3B with RetroPi installed. I just don't like the fact that #1 There is no cartridge slot (the one showing is for ascetics and is not really a slot) and #2 There is no way to add more games later.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
D
Legend
Legend
D
No cartridge means you don't need to constantly be blowing into it, hoping it reads and play afterwards hahaha.

This modern society is way too lazy to be having to do that wink ah, the good ole' days.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
While I have fond memories of some of those games, its going to be hard to go back to those graphics!

Arps #1134737 07/26/16 01:20 PM
Legend
Legend
I find it to be not hard at all. The gameplay was just GOOD.

I still regularly play the original Master of Orion in an emulator simply because the game was really good. The graphics didn't matter.

If anything, the one thing that is difficult is the timing. The pauses and slower pace of telling the computer what you want it to do can get old, but other than that, I still dig the old games.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I was a huge Mario, Mario 3, SNES Mario, and Mario 64 ... just classic games that never got old for me

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I just played and beat Super Mario Bros 3 a few weeks back, tons of fun still.

Eat it Phil...
D
Legend
Legend
D
NES:

PS4:

rofl

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
haha wow

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
That difference is incredible. I'd say that if I were hooked on PS4 games, it would be tough to go back to NES games.

I really haven't played new video games in a while now though. They take too much time to be competitive at and they're too addicting. I'm actually cool just playing some of the old classics here and there now. I find it more relaxing and enjoyable.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H

Final Fantasy is a great game. It has great replay value with the different teams you can pick. Do you want a powerhouse team that bulldozes through the game? Go 2x Fighters and 2x Red mages. Something tougher? Mix and match the other four characters. or do something silly like a solo challenge, duo challenge, or 4x white mages.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Value of PS4: $280
Value of NES (Childhood Memories): Priceless

No Craps Given
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Value of PS4: $280
Value of NES (Childhood Memories): Priceless

agreed

Haus #1135465 07/29/16 09:27 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Haus

Final Fantasy is a great game. It has great replay value with the different teams you can pick. Do you want a powerhouse team that bulldozes through the game? Go 2x Fighters and 2x Red mages. Something tougher? Mix and match the other four characters. or do something silly like a solo challenge, duo challenge, or 4x white mages.

Final Fantasy IV (or II for US Version) is probably one of my favorite games of all time. Not an NES game but still with the theme.

Tackles are tackles.
Haus #1135467 07/29/16 09:33 AM
Legend
Legend
My go-to was always fighter, thief, white mage, black mage.

I hated the black belt.

D
Legend
Legend
D
My brother and I played Contra (which I'm shocked hasn't been mentioned yet within a nes thread and even more shocked it's not one of the 30 preloaded games.)

Up up down down... Hahahahahha I'll never forget that stupid sequence.

M
Legend
Legend
M
left, right, left, right, b, a, b, a, select, start.

Is that it?

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Close, after the left/right sequences, it's just B then A then start. 30 lives!

Legend
Legend
"The Konami Code." Worked on several of their games.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Close, after the left/right sequences, it's just B then A then start. 30 lives!

NO WONDER I WAS NEVER ABLE TO GET IT!

ARRGH!!

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Hahahahahha!!!! After all these years!

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I'll never forget the "HUT HUT HUT HUT" sound of Tecmo Super Bowl. And the fact that Bo Jackson and Jerry Rice were basically unstoppable.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Kansas City Chiefs were my team.

That Offense was tough to stop. The Nigerian Nightmare would murder people. Plus I was a big Derrick Thomas fan.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
The Kansas City Chiefs were my team.

That Offense was tough to stop. The Nigerian Nightmare would murder people. Plus I was a big Derrick Thomas fan.

forgot about Okoye. nearly unstoppable as well

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Final Fantasy IV (or II for US Version) is probably one of my favorite games of all time. Not an NES game but still with the theme.

That is one of my favorites as well. I like those old school RPGs. Add FF VI (FF 3 U.S. for the non-geeks out there) and Chrono Trigger to that list as well.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
No MIKE TYSON'S Punch-Out??

All Pro
All Pro
It's actually up.up.down.down.left.right.left.right.b.a start

[Linked Image from img.villagephotos.com]
All Pro
All Pro
And no contra....won't be buying.

[Linked Image from img.villagephotos.com]
Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
Originally Posted By: Brownoholic
No MIKE TYSON'S Punch-Out??

It has Punchout. It hasn't been called Mike Tyson's Punchout since their licensing agreement with him expired. Considering the age of the game and his checkered past, I don't see them doing any type of new contract for it.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Correct.

Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream is essentially the same game as Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

The main difference is the last character's sprite was changed from Mike Tyson to Mr. Dream, who is basically Piston Honda with a palette swap but he retains the original Mike Tyson gameplay and mechanics.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I only played with the Browns...Kevin Mack oh yeah breaking tackles..Slaughter, Langhorne...won a few tourny's with that team.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: dawgpound101
I only played with the Browns...Kevin Mack oh yeah breaking tackles..Slaughter, Langhorne...won a few tourny's with that team.

I remember Mack was a truck ... one of the tougher backs to bring down

Haus #1144041 08/20/16 02:29 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
That difference is incredible. I'd say that if I were hooked on PS4 games, it would be tough to go back to NES games.

I really haven't played new video games in a while now though. They take too much time to be competitive at and they're too addicting. I'm actually cool just playing some of the old classics here and there now. I find it more relaxing and enjoyable.

As someone who has a ps4 and games quite a bit in my free time, I can say that the old NES/SNES/Genesis/etc era of video games still hold up today. Graphics-wise, no, but gameplay and story have always carried those games. Plus the whole nostalgia angle.

For as cool as this NES release is, I literally have every single NES, SNES, and Genesis game on my computer in a file that doesn't even reach more than a gig or two. You can buy USB knock offs of the old controllers on amazon for under 10 bucks, and you are good to go.

I've even introduced some of these old games to my niece and nephew who are 8 and 10 years old, and they actually dig the games, which is cool. I would think they would see it as lame, but the were really into them.

SNES was such an underrated system. So many awesome games, and probably my favorite Zelda game in the series (Link to the Past)

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn

As someone who has a ps4 and games quite a bit in my free time, I can say that the old NES/SNES/Genesis/etc era of video games still hold up today. Graphics-wise, no, but gameplay and story have always carried those games. Plus the whole nostalgia angle.

For as cool as this NES release is, I literally have every single NES, SNES, and Genesis game on my computer in a file that doesn't even reach more than a gig or two. You can buy USB knock offs of the old controllers on amazon for under 10 bucks, and you are good to go.

I've even introduced some of these old games to my niece and nephew who are 8 and 10 years old, and they actually dig the games, which is cool. I would think they would see it as lame, but the were really into them.

SNES was such an underrated system. So many awesome games, and probably my favorite Zelda game in the series (Link to the Past)

Graphics aside, those NES and SNES games were more entertaining to me than some of today's games. Maybe it was the novelty or the nostalgia, but I could spend hours playing without becoming bored.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Fantasy & Gaming The Return of NES

Link Copied to Clipboard