DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: leadtheway Any pc builders out there - 09/24/18 01:51 AM
Anyone build their own PCs and into watercooling and overclocking?
Posted By: Squires Re: Any pc builders out there - 09/24/18 02:27 AM
I build my own PC's, never tried overclocking. Maybe some day. Haven't had the need and too afraid of frying components.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Any pc builders out there - 09/24/18 03:03 AM
ever do anything with fan hubs/rgb hubs?
Posted By: gage Re: Any pc builders out there - 09/24/18 01:52 PM
I haven't built a top shelf gaming rig in a few years for myself personally, but that's because I act as the IT guy at work and have built a dozen pc's in the last 2 years, so i'm scratching that itch on the regular! I have built my own Intel based router at home on a Mini ITX case as well as a NAS on a Micro ATX case

As for watercooling, my PC up until 2 years ago or so was watercooled. I had the CPU waterblocked (i7 3930k overclocked from 3.2Ghz to 4.6Ghz) and my GPU waterblocked (7970 overlocked from 925mhz to 1200mhz). This was on a custom loop where the loop cooled both parts at the same time. It worked pretty well and was quiet!

build image
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Any pc builders out there - 09/24/18 03:59 PM
I've done water cooling in several methods.

I had a cooling tower. A 24" tall tower about 8" in diameter with radiator fins filled with water, water pumped through and back over the CPU and GPU. I was a space issue, but the process allowed me to remove fans, and have a near silent PC even while gaming.

I later drilled holes through a small dorm fridge I had next to my desk and ran the lines through the fridge before the water flowed into the tower. THAT made a big difference in my operating temps.

Now a days, I don't overclock, not much need to, and just used an in-case water cooler with radiator and fan, enclosed system.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Any pc builders out there - 09/24/18 06:08 PM
So basically I'm well versed in pc building etc, i've even done a loop a time or two. But this build I decided to go all out on so heres what I've got

Corsair Graphite 780T case
ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 mobo
Asus GEFORCE GTX 1070ti strix 8gb video
32gb Gskill ram
500gb m.2 SSD

So for the loop, everything is EKWB. 1 360 rad up top with 6x Vadar 120mm rgb fans in push/pull and a 240 rad on bottom with 2x vadar 120. The case came with 3x 140mm for intake/exhaust. I'm doing petg tubing and all EK compression fittings and waterblocks for CPU/GPU/RAM. Have combo pump/res (vertical)

SO thats it in a nutshell. Now my issue, All the fans are 4 pin Pwm that also have a RGB lead as well. My mobo has a few fan headers and I can get away with a pwm hub and run off the cpu header but i only have 1 rgb header, so i'm not going to be able to run all the rgb off that, so using the mobo software isn't going to work. Anyone ever use a hardware rgb controller in their case? Or something that can do fan/rgb. I know lamptron had something but it was done with temp probes and I'd prefer to use the mobo sensors and theyll be more accurate
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Any pc builders out there - 09/24/18 07:37 PM
I've not used a RBG controller, but I wanted to say that's a nice setup/machine.
© DawgTalkers.net