Next Thread
Print Thread
#1515676 09/23/18 09:51 PM
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Anyone build their own PCs and into watercooling and overclocking?

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
I build my own PC's, never tried overclocking. Maybe some day. Haven't had the need and too afraid of frying components.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
ever do anything with fan hubs/rgb hubs?

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I haven't built a top shelf gaming rig in a few years for myself personally, but that's because I act as the IT guy at work and have built a dozen pc's in the last 2 years, so i'm scratching that itch on the regular! I have built my own Intel based router at home on a Mini ITX case as well as a NAS on a Micro ATX case

As for watercooling, my PC up until 2 years ago or so was watercooled. I had the CPU waterblocked (i7 3930k overclocked from 3.2Ghz to 4.6Ghz) and my GPU waterblocked (7970 overlocked from 925mhz to 1200mhz). This was on a custom loop where the loop cooled both parts at the same time. It worked pretty well and was quiet!

build image

Last edited by gage; 09/24/18 09:54 AM.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
I've done water cooling in several methods.

I had a cooling tower. A 24" tall tower about 8" in diameter with radiator fins filled with water, water pumped through and back over the CPU and GPU. I was a space issue, but the process allowed me to remove fans, and have a near silent PC even while gaming.

I later drilled holes through a small dorm fridge I had next to my desk and ran the lines through the fridge before the water flowed into the tower. THAT made a big difference in my operating temps.

Now a days, I don't overclock, not much need to, and just used an in-case water cooler with radiator and fan, enclosed system.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
So basically I'm well versed in pc building etc, i've even done a loop a time or two. But this build I decided to go all out on so heres what I've got

Corsair Graphite 780T case
ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 mobo
Asus GEFORCE GTX 1070ti strix 8gb video
32gb Gskill ram
500gb m.2 SSD

So for the loop, everything is EKWB. 1 360 rad up top with 6x Vadar 120mm rgb fans in push/pull and a 240 rad on bottom with 2x vadar 120. The case came with 3x 140mm for intake/exhaust. I'm doing petg tubing and all EK compression fittings and waterblocks for CPU/GPU/RAM. Have combo pump/res (vertical)

SO thats it in a nutshell. Now my issue, All the fans are 4 pin Pwm that also have a RGB lead as well. My mobo has a few fan headers and I can get away with a pwm hub and run off the cpu header but i only have 1 rgb header, so i'm not going to be able to run all the rgb off that, so using the mobo software isn't going to work. Anyone ever use a hardware rgb controller in their case? Or something that can do fan/rgb. I know lamptron had something but it was done with temp probes and I'd prefer to use the mobo sensors and theyll be more accurate

D
Legend
Legend
D
I've not used a RBG controller, but I wanted to say that's a nice setup/machine.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Fantasy & Gaming Any pc builders out there

Link Copied to Clipboard