DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 08:14 AM
I will post more later, but to me a few individuals had nice games for us.

Pryor - it was nice to see him on the field, in action, and making plays
Meder - he always seems to play with effort and be around the ball ... maybe starting for us?
Schobert - I thought he played well. Constantly around the ball.
Nassib - he seems to have a high motor and made numerous plays/disruptions.
Murray - he boomed a long FG ... may be our new kicker IMO.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 09:34 AM
I'll also add that Ogbah looked good on numerous plays ... disruptive and (gasp) even semi-effectively set the edge
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 10:39 AM
As of right now the D line is woeful and the Mlb,s did not bowl me over .. Liked what I saw out of some of the youth.. First pre season with a long season of teaching in front of the Coaching staff .. Hope I am wrong about Horton !
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 12:02 PM
The number one thing that stood out for me was that the Browns are extremely slow! They are going to get lit up on defense.

Some other thoughts:

--Every time RGIII got hit, I wondered if he would get back up. It looks like he could be broke in half. His legs are so damn skinny. I said that as a negative when he was in college and it still holds true.

--As is the case every year, the Browns could not stop the run.

--Speaking of every year, this team looked pretty much the same as every other year. As I have been saying, too many posters are overdoing the coaching angle.

--Nassib made some effort plays. He's very long.

--Meder made a couple of good plays.

--Pryor was promising.

--Duke had a nice run. He looked a little bigger.

--The OL looked brutal. We are hurting at center and RT. Glad we let those guys walk.

--Green Bay didn't play Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb, Matthews, Peppers, etc and they still were by far the more talented team.

--Our secondary is going to be horrid.

--With all the openings we have at WR, where were the other rookies besides Higgins. He had the one nice route on the TD, but other than that........???

--Speaking of the rookies, other than Nassib, they did not impress me. I pimped Ogbah, but he did not look very good to me. The linebackers we brought in are so freaking slow. Coleman on the OL....yikes. Kessler made that first throw, but looked like he was lost on other plays.

--Blah.........
Posted By: bleednbrown Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 12:03 PM
I think the O will be alright with more experience. I hope your wrong about the D, but there does seem to be something missing with the DL. I can see it's going to take some time with this D. I do think we have some nice Rookies to watch. The more they play together the better I think they will be.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 12:24 PM
My post game thought ... Hue is going to have a very long season in front of the camera.

That was actually my pre-game thought as well.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 12:33 PM
My post game thoughts,,,,, we got trouble.

Saw RG holding his thigh after the throw to Pryor.. who, IMO was special last night.

Someone said it last year, all Pryor needs is a full training camp at WR and he'll be good.. They may have been right.

Can't wait to see him, Coleman and perhaps even Gordon on the field together.. could be fun to watch.,

Nassib and Ogbah... yeah, that's gonna be a good pair.

Too damn many mistakes.

Other than that, it was the first preseason game.. About what I expected
Posted By: Haus Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 12:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
My post game thought ... Hue is going to have a very long season in front of the camera.

agreed

Hopefully people have a bit of patience with Hue. This is not a good team. Just look at how bad the team was last year then look at the players we lost. There are a lot of young players on the team and it is going to take some time to coach them up.

I hope we're wrong about the very long season part, and all that implies.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 01:00 PM
Hue needs to settle on O-Line starters soon. They need to gel fast. Erving and Greco didn't look like they were communicating very well.

It was hard to get a read on the young WRs because as much as the starters need to improve, the backup O-Line was worse.

It was good to see Pryor's success in practice carry over into a game. His catches weren't gimmes and he pulled them in clean.

Nassib and Ogbah flashed. They both have work to do, but they look like they can be players.

Shelton was underwhelming. I was expecting him to get movement, not get moved.

Hopefully Hughes will help the run D stiffen up when he gets back because that start wasn't encouraging.

It was hard to get a read on the secondary with the coverages they were running. I hope the soft coverage doesn't look so prominent come the regular season.

Cam Johnson and Dominique Alexander stood out to me of the backup LBs.

Run game needs work. Duke did look a lot thicker, I wonder if he's been training with Frank Gore. Watson showed some solid hands. Winston's first carry didn't go as bad as his regular season one last season, but it was somewhat reminiscent. Mostert had the big run, but he looked awfully loose with the ball.

RG3 looked solid. Hopefully the Line can do a better job of keeping him upright going forward. I'm not sure who was at fault on the fumbled exchange.

I'm gonna record the 1PM showing and go through the game some more.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 01:06 PM
Quote:
Dominique Alexander

Forgot to mention him. I thought he was the best of the linebackers.
Posted By: Riley01 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 01:20 PM
I saw the worst organization in football look exactly the same stupid org. as previous years, awful drafts,awful F.A.s phonys hired in F.O and clowns hired to coach. Maybe till we get an owner that knows what hes doing this circus will never change. JMHO By the way.... I just canceled the NFL package for the first time ever
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 01:30 PM
And y'all thought I was negative. rofl
Posted By: lionchamp29 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 01:46 PM
we gave up 3 safeties? thats gotta be a record.
we made their backup qb look like a starter
all our qbs looked like they are number 3s.

if we had a badass qb we would win some games. it looks scary for Hue if rg3 doesnt pan out. of coarse its just first preseason game.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 01:55 PM
This defense is going to be the worst in the AFC.
Sorry but anyone who has a man crush on Horton better reassess
Him.
The Browns have players more suited to 4-3 than 3-4.
None of the Browns LBS can get downhill stone a run.
Green Bay went old fashioned powered fball and dominated
From the get go.
16 yrs in same old issue.

I see Kessler wet his pants
I'm sorry Hue missed the boat on him
He's not Dalton 2.0

Pryor did a nice job of adjusting his body securing the ball.

If Johnson goes down running game and offense in trouble even more

RG3 won't last the whole year. That's why kept McCown.

Good to see the Browns actually have wrs that have radius and height

Overall no top end speed on defense in the back 7.

This is a team that needs to grow up fast
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 01:57 PM
From what I've seen from Shelton and Erving since they've been drafted has not been good.

Erving seems to just not be a good player lol
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 01:59 PM
Something very encouraging, we only had 5 penalties last night. For a first preseason game that's pretty damn good.
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 02:03 PM
Good list Dawg.

I would add Mostert to the list. Yes, he had a fumbled kick return but, he made up for it on several different plays. With exception to that one mistake he had many good moments.

But, I also listened to it on radio and didn't watch the game so can judge based on audio only.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 02:12 PM
Originally Posted By: candyman92
Something very encouraging, we only had 5 penalties last night. For a first preseason game that's pretty damn good.

Good point.

I'd also say that one time Barnidge was raped and they picked up the flag because it was uncatchable. It should have at least been holding then ... and the drive would've extended
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 02:15 PM
About what I thought this team will look like. I think the passing offense could be average to good but good Lord this defense is hot steaming trash. Our MLBers are by FAR the worst in the NFL. And our secondary isnt even average

For some positives? Nassib and Ogbah had quality plays. I didnt see Gilbert get roasted? Pryor looks legit, which is HUGE for our offense.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 02:16 PM
Also, it was strange that Payton didn't see any time until very late in the game. Hall got way more meaningful reps.

Louis made a nice ST's play, which is where he'll probably need to unseat Moore.
Posted By: Riley01 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 02:23 PM
I never said u were negative fact is I agreed with ya most of the time but hey I feel im right, in which is a positive thing that may help my BROWNS head in the right direction IMHO
Posted By: Hamfist Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 02:26 PM
I saw what I expected to see: a team that was 3-13 last year with a new front office, a new staff, and a bunch of new players. I wasn't horrifird by the play of the team, I expected them to look rough. My expectations were not very high this year, and, the first game went pretty much like I thought it would.

I saw some things I liked, some I didn't. It is what it is.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 02:34 PM
Vers - Nassib ... Focused on him every play .. Not sure why he's ever lined up inside .. That's just STUPID ..

When he was inside he was ineffective other than the fact he got enough push in a few pass plays to move the OL back and "collapse" the pocket .. Only problem was he never really affected the QB at all .. He was winning his battle but he was pushing him back way too slowly ...

Once a blocker locks onto him .. He was done .. When he had space to work in .. He won .. He's a quick twitch guy with a good motor ...

Not sure why he would ever be in the middle .. Especially not with who we rushed from the outside last night .. UTILIZE YOUR PLAYERS TALENTS .. That doesn't seem like maximizing his talent ..

Over all observations of him .. And please let me know what u think, .. My final thought was INTRIGUED ... NOT SURE WITCH WAY THIS IS GOING TO GO ...

- great motor, very athletic for his size
- gets better leverage than u would think for a man his size but he struggles being consistent with it .. He won the leverage battle when he bull rushed from the inside ..
- weak upper body .. When OLman got into him it was over! He has good lower body strength but his upper body is very weak for this level ..
Posted By: Riley01 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 02:34 PM
Matter of fact you are the most positive person on this board... Yea your positive that your right and everyone else is wrong. VERS
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 02:43 PM
Quote:
we gave up 3 safeties? thats gotta be a record.

Actually, we gave up two safeties. The Browns recorded a safety of their own early in the game.
Posted By: MrUniverse Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 02:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
The number one thing that stood out for me was that the Browns are extremely slow! They are going to get lit up on defense.

Some other thoughts:

--Every time RGIII got hit, I wondered if he would get back up. It looks like he could be broke in half. His legs are so damn skinny. I said that as a negative when he was in college and it still holds true.

--As is the case every year, the Browns could not stop the run.

--Speaking of every year, this team looked pretty much the same as every other year. As I have been saying, too many posters are overdoing the coaching angle.

--Nassib made some effort plays. He's very long.

--Meder made a couple of good plays.

--Pryor was promising.

--Duke had a nice run. He looked a little bigger.

--The OL looked brutal. We are hurting at center and RT. Glad we let those guys walk.

--Green Bay didn't play Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb, Matthews, Peppers, etc and they still were by far the more talented team.

--Our secondary is going to be horrid.

--With all the openings we have at WR, where were the other rookies besides Higgins. He had the one nice route on the TD, but other than that........???

--Speaking of the rookies, other than Nassib, they did not impress me. I pimped Ogbah, but he did not look very good to me. The linebackers we brought in are so freaking slow. Coleman on the OL....yikes. Kessler made that first throw, but looked like he was lost on other plays.

--Blah.........

I agree with some of this, yet think this group has plenty of up side. I thought the young players look really good for first time rookies. The LBs looked good to me, Scherbart, Alaxander played really well.

Agree that Meder has been a pleasant surprise and could end up the better NT if not already. Nassib looked solid and Ogbah as an OLB will be special.

Say goodbye to Mingo and Carder, these younger LBs are going to push them out. Kruger looked solid and I want to see a full game with Kruger and Ogbah as the two starters.

I absolutely agree on the defensive backfield, they looked lost I was not impressed. Should have never let Skrine walk.

Starting offense I thought look very promising, Prior may become a big time playmaker and having Gordon and Barnage and Coleman on the field this could turn into a high powered offense. The OL needs some work, the QB can not be hit like this that many times.

Duke looked good, he will be the main RB on this offense, he looks biger and if they can find a few road graders on the line I would expect a big year from Duke.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 02:46 PM
Quote:
And please let me know what u think,

I would not line Nassib up inside on base defenses, but I do think he can be effective lining up inside on nickel defenses, w/guys like Kruger and Ogbah flanking him.

He would be used as a pass rusher and a fairly long guy who can cover ground should the qb run the ball after being pressured or if the opponent runs a draw.
Posted By: Dave Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 02:56 PM
I have watched the interception at the goal-line about 8 times now on ESPN.COM and I don't really see how it was Barnidge's fault. He was running vertically on a seam route - and he was open - when Griffin threw it about 4 yards to his left (just a bit outside). An accurate pass would have been a TD. The announcers, Mike Patrick and Solomon Wilcots were tripping over each other to lay it on Barnidge - unfairly, IMO. I would like to have heard Bernie Kosar's critique, because I think it would have been different than Patrick & Wilcot's.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 02:59 PM
SSDY
Posted By: Razorthorns Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 03:20 PM
The slowest thing on offense was RG3's decision making. He has a very nice arm but doesn't matter if he is not seeing the open receivers. I also think he was trying to force the ball a bit too much. Still three more games before the season starts but as of now I was not impressed by ANY of our QB's.

Running it up the middle on 1st and 10 every single time got real old watching it too. It is preseason though so I hope when the games count they can be more imaginative instead of wasting a down.

Defense had to many guys trying to make a big hit instead of doing sound tackling and body positioning. I could care less about making a fumble. Put your hands on the target and bring him down fast and the first freaking time.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 03:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave
I have watched the interception at the goal-line about 8 times now on ESPN.COM and I don't really see how it was Barnidge's fault. He was running vertically on a seam route - and he was open - when Griffin threw it about 4 yards to his left (just a bit outside). An accurate pass would have been a TD. The announcers, Mike Patrick and Solomon Wilcots were tripping over each other to lay it on Barnidge - unfairly, IMO. I would like to have heard Bernie Kosar's critique, because I think it would have been different than Patrick & Wilcot's.

The only way it's Barnidge's fault is if it's a read/option route and he should have sat down in that area. That's why nobody (not even analysts) know with 100% accuracy who to blame.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 03:30 PM
we also saw Duke actually shed a tackle, something that is a foreign concept
Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 03:37 PM
How could one guy screw up a team more than what Farmer did? By freaking pure dumb luck you should be able to draft better than what he did. I said it a while back that if both Shelton and Erving didn't improve this was going to set this team back 2-3 more years. That's exactly what it's looking like so far. Again expectations were low, but I don't think fans will be prepared for how bad this will be during the regular season.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 03:38 PM
Originally Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U
How could one guy screw up a team more than what Farmer did? By freaking pure dumb luck you should be able to draft better than what he did. I said it a while back that if both Shelton and Erving didn't improve this was going to set this team back 2-3 more years. That's exactly what it's looking like so far. Again expectations were low, but I don't think fans will be prepared for how bad this will be during the regular season.

I know it. Just freaking look at Farmer's draft picks. Good Lord.

And his big FA? Dwayne Bowe?
Posted By: E.Ryze19 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 03:47 PM
First preseason game and nothing changes on these boards. Anything that was good was poo pooed and anything that was bad is considered the future showing itself.
Posted By: Dave Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 03:57 PM
I only watched the first half, then switched to the Indians game. Did Mike Matthews play at C, and how did he look?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 04:13 PM
I only watched the first half, then switched to the Indians game. Did Mike Matthews play at C, and how did he look?

yes, 3rd string center ... had a holding call IIRC
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 04:15 PM

I agree. I was yelling at them last night when they were blaming Barnidge. If RG3 throws that into the seam then that's a touchdown. If Barnidge caught that he's getting laid out at the one. Really wish Bernie was there for that play.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 04:18 PM
Farmer and Mangina take the cake as far as the worst GMS since 99.
All of the Farmer fans scurried out of here to the witness protection program
He set this team back by whiffing on all his 1st Rd picks
Manziel Gilbert Shelton Erving....
Where's the difference maker ?????
Bill Parcells Marv Levy Bill Cowher could coach this team and not get past 4 wins
Posted By: Dave Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 04:22 PM
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

I agree. I was yelling at them last night when they were blaming Barnidge. If RG3 throws that into the seam then that's a touchdown. If Barnidge caught that he's getting laid out at the one. Really wish Bernie was there for that play.

Mike Patrick: "THAT, my friends, was an example of what is called 'throwing the receiver open'."

Me: "GTFOH!"
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 04:24 PM

Mike Patrick: "THAT, my friends, was an example of what is called 'throwing the receiver open'."

Me: "GTFOH!"

speaking of which, the announcers throughout the preseason are VERY difficult to listen to
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 04:25 PM
Terrelle Pryor had one big catch at the start, and he pushed off, which reminds me,
the biggest thing I remember from him last year was a nice block he threw.

Pryor's best asset is his zeal to block, If it were me, I'd put him at the tight end, to throw blocks, and his abilities at wr, well he didn't look natural, so tight end routes and catches might prove to make him even more of a mismatch.

I want to see outside runs and reverses with Terrell Pryor throwing lead blocks that set up big gains. Pryor appears to like to block and he's good at it, and he's big for a WR.

Also, imagine that first play from last night, imagine that going up the middle seam coming on a delayed release from the tight end lineup, when the two wr's on the outside draw the safeties out of the middle, or at least one safety out of the middle,
Pryor one on one deep middle, has the speed and size to break it.

He does need to improve his smoothness and natural catching ability and body control through the catch process, it appears.

Post game? Austin Davis?
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 04:33 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Terrelle Pryor had one big catch at the start, and he pushed off

He also caught an eradicate pass from RG3 on 3rd down to extend the drive.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 04:40 PM

He also caught an eradicate pass

That sounds dangerous & messy.
Posted By: Dave Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 04:45 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

He also caught an eradicate pass

That sounds dangerous & messy.

I can see the headline: Pryor Vaporized By Pass.

Just kidding, CHS, I knew you meant "erratic".
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 04:47 PM
RUn defense still looks iffy

T. Pryor made some good plays.

Nassib is a monster.

The Murray or whoever FG kicker is going to be our new one with a cannon leg like that.

Ogbah was also a force. Him and Nassib already looking good.

Offensive line looks iffy. RGIII getting hit a lot. Best run was Duke, Crow got leveled a few times.

Alexander, the LB, seemed to be all over. I wasn't sure what I thought of Schobert, seems undersized and not very powerful.

Special team's coverage always spot-on, but too many mistake elsewhere.

A lot of work to do.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 04:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Also, it was strange that Payton didn't see any time until very late in the game. Hall got way more meaningful reps.

Louis made a nice ST's play, which is where he'll probably need to unseat Moore.

Payton only started practicing with the Browns at the start of training camp, as his class had not graduated in time for him to take part in any of the OTAs. He started training camp significantly behind everyone else.

Hall, obviously, has been with the team since last year .... so he has taken part in every OTA and camp ...... and it has been reported that he has show up well in those sessions, along with camp.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 04:55 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Payton only started practicing with the Browns at the start of training camp, as his class had not graduated in time for him to take part in any of the OTAs. He started training camp significantly behind everyone else.

Hall, obviously, has been with the team since last year .... so he has taken part in every OTA and camp ...... and it has been reported that he has show up well in those sessions, along with camp.

Forgot about Payton missing some time.

Also, Hall was injured, so that may change the depth chart a little bit.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 04:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Hamfist
I saw what I expected to see: a team that was 3-13 last year with a new front office, a new staff, and a bunch of new players. I wasn't horrifird by the play of the team, I expected them to look rough. My expectations were not very high this year, and, the first game went pretty much like I thought it would.

I saw some things I liked, some I didn't. It is what it is.

Well, I would suppose that they want to see where he can be effective, especially in sub package defenses.

I don't worry too much about where guys line up in the 1st preseason game.

I thought that both Ogbah and Nassib looked good for their 1st pro games. They have work to do, but I was encouraged, especially given that they went against a good team in the Pack.

I was impressed with Meder. He showed a ton of fight on every play he was in the game.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 04:58 PM

He played late in the game, against the scrubs, but he was one of the few to play well on the OL at that point in the game. He took his man out of the plays ... at least the ones where I concentrated on him.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 05:04 PM
I have a hunch Hamlett will make the roster. We may keep 4 TEs if they don't wanna put Devalve on IR/PS
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 05:05 PM
I only got to see a small handful of plays, but I did like the instincts I saw from Scooby & Schobert. I don't know how they did in a larger sense, but the small selection of plays that I saw they seemed decent.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 05:09 PM
Hue Jackson likes what he sees from “outstanding” Terrelle Pryor

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...terrelle-pryor/

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 13, 2016, 6:15 AM EDT

When Terrelle Pryor spent the 2014 season out of the NFL, he looked like a failed quarterback whose career was over at age 25. Now Pryor looks like one of the most promising young wide receivers in the NFL.

Pryor started for the Browns in Friday night’s preseason game and opened things up with a 49-yard catch on the first play. He later added an eight-yard catch, and coach Hue Jackson said he’s loving what he’s seeing from Pryor.

“I thought it was outstanding. I think Terrelle is growing each and every day,” Jackson said.

At the moment, Pryor is the Browns’ No. 1 receiver. That may change when rookie first-round draft pick Corey Coleman gets healthy and Josh Gordon returns from his four-game suspension to start the season, but Pryor is a big part of Jackson’s offense in Cleveland. That would have seemed crazy a couple years ago, when Pryor was just looking for a roster spot somewhere, and no team would give him one.

(end)

Pryor? I liked what I saw too! thumbsup
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 05:11 PM
there's no doubt Pryor is WAY improved, and that's before getting much game experience
Posted By: hitt Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 05:24 PM
Your CONSTANT digs about letting the guys walk is annoying, the front office made good faith offers AND two guys you fixate on chose to walk....I don't blame them, they get selected by team they have no ties to and have no control over their working lives UNTIL free agency....you want big bucks, play for team or sit out a year....ya gotta do what you gotta do....we lost couple good players WHO DIDN'T want to be here, why can't you let it alone....line looked bad against mix of starters and backups....concerning...I didn't watch game from Florida, CBS Sports computer feed....RGIII missed TD throw...he hasn't played in game conditions...hope all improve...our rookies got some action...good, Cody threw sweet TD pass...wish paint scheme in endzone would have given him proper fell for where he was....wish rookie WRs showed more....first one under their belt.....hope they all improve....GO Browns!!!!
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 05:26 PM

I disagree with you guys. Looked like Barnidge's fault to me combined with a lack of experience playing together between the two. The seam route was not open if Barnidge had continued to run straight. RG3 saw that and believed Barnidge was going to cross the face of the defender; therefore he threw the ball inside.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 05:39 PM

I disagree with you guys. Looked like Barnidge's fault to me combined with a lack of experience playing together between the two. The seam route was not open if Barnidge had continued to run straight. RG3 saw that and believed Barnidge was going to cross the face of the defender; therefore he threw the ball inside.

this.

Experience and reps together will get them on the same page. Lucky, this is preseason, and that is what this is for.

I'm not mad at all. I think some of the critiquing is good, but to elaborate and predict what is going to happen in the future off of one preseason game is a stretch.
Posted By: columbusdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 05:44 PM
I agree with that as well, plus it seemed that Barnidge went straight to RG3 after the play as if to say "my fault". Could be the other way around, but I doubt it.

That said, I have not seen a QB in a Browns uniform have that kind of zip on a ball even though it was an int - that was a rifle shot. That was an NFL throw and it was nice to see.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 05:48 PM
I hope your right about Nassib .. Not sure if he's going to be athletic enough or strong enough .. He may be a tweener .. Like I said .... I'm INTRIGUED ...

Not as high as U on Kruger .. Not a fan at all ... Not sure what it is he does better than average and there's more than one thing below average ...

Dave - the reason u can't see how it was on Barnidge is simply because it wasn't Barnidge's fault .. That pass should have never been thrown .. If there was a window it was a really really really tiny one ..

He wasn't open either .. The defender in front of him with his back turned had to be thrown over or around .. RG3 chose around .. BAD CHOICE ... Only other option was to "drop" it in over the defender who was between Barnidge and RG3 with his back turned ... Not sure with the defenders behind Barnidge that there was even the smallest of Windows to make that throw ... The angle needed to get it over the guys back and have it get to Barnidge before the defenders got there ... Not sure that was possible ..

Pass simply should have NEVER BEEN MADE ...

There's the right answer ... Hopefully he learns from it ... It's simply all we dawn hope for ...
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 05:50 PM
Nassib not athletic enough? I'm worried about the opposite for him. I'm worried if he's polished enough.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 05:55 PM
Nassib not athletic enough? I'm worried about the opposite for him. I'm worried if he's polished enough.

I think he's athletic, just not very stout at the point of attack .. seems to need some space
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 06:13 PM

Not sure what u mean by polished enough .. If u mean .. Not look "goofy" .. Then I agree .. *L* .. He's a decent athlete straight ahead .. Like the tackle he made for a sack when he tripped dude up .. That's not going to get ANY STARTER down .. Not sure he posses the lateral mobility to be a good enough athlete ..

He may be .. He is just a pup and learning ... So maybe he'll figure out and grow into his body .. He looked awkward at times .... Like a goofy puppy ... Like I said ... INTRIGUED ..

Actually re-recorded the game so I could see who he was playing against ... And also to see this Ogbah guy ... Not sure who he is but I plan on focusing on him ..
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 06:31 PM
j/c

I saw what I expected to see. A lot of rookie and second year players trying to get their whiskers wet. RG3 getting hit a lot because the OL is not ready for prime time. When you let two very good OL players go without a significant investment to replace them, you end up with a hodge podge of a mess. Combine that with a QB who has had severe knee injuries, and....well?

You can't have this much youth and inexperience and expect what some seem to have claimed thus far. This team is in total rebuild mode. It will take yet again two to three years to see any solid results.

IMO, the best we can hope for is to see marked improvement over the course of the season. We can hope that RG3 doesn't end up in a knee brace sooner rather than later.

People seem to forget how bad this OL was just four or five years ago. Right now, as it stands, we'll be very lucky to have a consistent running game. Vertical pass plays will cause RG3 to take a lot of punishment.

I have to go along with Diam here. I can see some possible potential from both Nassib and Obgah. As of right now, I think they both are best suited for situational rushing situations but I do believe they both may hold the potential for much more.

Pryor looked surprisingly good to the point that even if Gordon doesn't make it back, we still should be fine between him and Coleman.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 06:45 PM
Quote:
Your CONSTANT digs about letting the guys walk is annoying

If you don't like me saying they let them walk.......don't read my posts. It's not my fault they let them walk.

Btw-------your constant false optimism is annoying. The Browns suck.
Posted By: Dave Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 06:54 PM
Quote:
Dave - the reason u can't see how it was on Barnidge is simply because it wasn't Barnidge's fault .. That pass should have never been thrown .. If there was a window it was a really really really tiny one ..

He wasn't open either .. The defender in front of him with his back turned had to be thrown over or around .. RG3 chose around .. BAD CHOICE ... Only other option was to "drop" it in over the defender who was between Barnidge and RG3 with his back turned ... Not sure with the defenders behind Barnidge that there was even the smallest of Windows to make that throw ... The angle needed to get it over the guys back and have it get to Barnidge before the defenders got there ... Not sure that was possible ..

Glad to see you posting again, Diam. My thinking on that play is that Barnidge, at 6-6, had about 6 inches on any defender around that play. The guy between him and Griffin was a good 5-6 yards away, and Barnidge would have been able to go up and get a ball that was in line with where he was on the field. I don't think a "drop-in-the-bucket" pass was necessary, just something with a little more air under it ... something taller than the defenders, but within Barnidge's reach.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 07:06 PM
My thought was... this won't be a year where posters will be screaming.. "We got to start the rookie QB and see what he's got..."

I didn't see the first half of the game, but did see Kessler giving away points. Throw the damn ball away... Scored 6.. gave away 4.. net gain of 2. Fortunately the game ended before he could do more.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 07:21 PM
I see a lot of premature conclusions being drawn.
Posted By: columbusdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 07:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

As is standard protocol on here. I'm not expecting a lot this season, but to say "players suck" and "players are great" after the first preseason game is always amusing to me.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 07:41 PM
Coaches:

I liked the play calling for both offense and defense. On offense it was high tempo with lots of movement. A good mix of play calling and the threat that any play could be a deep ball. On defense, we showed lots of different blitzes and an effort to pin our ears back on 3rd and long.

RG3

His footwork looked pretty decent. His throwing motion is jacked right now and I am hoping that is just because they are changing it and he hasn't made it habit yet.

He did a little better under pressure than I thought he would in the first preseason game. He was also under pressure constantly.

The interception in the endzone was caused by Gary reading one thing and RG3 reading another. I'm not sure who was wrong on that play but two guys reading something different in the first preseason game is going to happen.

Overall, better than I expected.

The offensive line:

Erving struggled, lunged at blocks, and seemed slow off the snap. Hopefully we see some improvement, because right now Center is the weak spot on this line.

Communication seemed off with the rest of the line, which makes sense with as much shuffling that happened.

Drango did nothing to worry me at the RT spot.

Paztor had an awesome 2nd level block when playing RT and those second level blocks are important in Hue's offense. If Hue is Happy with Greco and Bitonio at guard then Paztor might get the RT spot for his 2nd level blocking alone.

Ladsen played poor enough to probably go in the first round of cuts.

TE- We are deep here. Barnidge looks to be a priority option in Hue's offense. Hamlett looked like a guy that will not only make the team but will have a role. I don't see them cutting DeValve, so Bibbs and Teffler will have their work cut out for them to make the team.

WR's - Pryor looked like he has been playing WR for years. His route running was good and he did well getting separation. We already knew that he had the athletic ability. I am not counting on Gordon for anything, but a starting combo of Coleman/Pryor/Gordon is sounding pretty good to me.

RB - Crow got a shoulder injury on his one unimpressive run. Duke looked like he has gained some strength and ran with some power. Mostert was a happy surprise as well and looked strong in the running game.

FB - did we play any plays with one?

Defensive line:

Soft in the middle, but the outside showed some promise. Shelton disappointed again and I think Meder outplayed him. Cooper looked great on passing downs, but needs to work on his run defense. Nassib played well enough to be in starter conversations.

LB's:

Pleasantly surprised here as well. We already look better at LB than we did last year, even though I know that isn't saying much. We actually set the edge more than a few times! A special shout out to Tank Carder for suddenly figuring out that there is more to football than special teams. Wright and Schobert looked good. For once in a long time in training camp I have some hope for the LB corps.

DB's - A mixed bag. Safeties looked better than I thought and CB's looked worse. If Rodgers played at QB, he would have beaten over the top more than a few times. We'll get a better test with Ryan next week. We do seem to have really good depth and Patterson and Taylor look like they might make the team. Did Kindred play? I didn't see him in.

Special Teams -

I know most guys are upset with our special teams, but honestly most of the guys that are playing on them right now won't be playing on them in the regular season. Lee had an awesome 66 yd punt. Murray had a great kick. Mostert looks like he hasn't returned before. I'm not too worried.

Overall they looked better than I thought they would. Again that isn't saying much because we have a long uphill climb.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 07:42 PM
j/c:

A SB Nation writer's opinions of Griffin:

Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 07:43 PM
Did Shelton make a single play last night?
Or Did I See Him DROVE off THE LOS last night over and over?
He just doesn't play angry enough to anchor that spot.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 07:54 PM
Something really encouraging was when he was blitzed and threw it at Joe Thomas feet. Live to fight another day.
Posted By: rockyhilldawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 08:05 PM
Yes, RPG III looks very fragile. It will surprise me if he plays in half the games this year.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 08:24 PM
havent read through everything but wanted to put in a few quick thoughts

1st off Nassib was our best player on defense. It wasnt the shoe string trackles either. he really showed me that he has a great intellect for the game of football. He sniffed out several screens and forced the QB to make a decision. he set the edge strongly. I thought this kid was probably the best player we drafted and nothing from this game showed me any difference.

Ogbah I wasnt very high on but I saw some quick gettup that left me very intrigued. I think Ogbah, Cooper and Armonty could really wreck havoc with an offensive line's moral when it comes to protecting the passer.

Our Secondary needs trimmed. I saw a lot of guys out there that shouldnt be 4th string on a 90 man roster.

Special teams. Overall I was pleasantly surprised with this group although we did have a couple stupid mistakes. I believe this could be a really strong point of this team.

offensively. RG3 looked the part. I thought Barnidge was 100% responsible for the int. RG3 to the empty spot and Barnidge really wasnt aware of his surroundings at all. He hanst practiced much and this is not a mistake u will probably see him make again this year.

Playcalling for the passing game was utter confusion. You get Coleman and Gordon with Pryor, Johsnon and Barnidge out there and thats an offense that could do damage.

I really though Greco looked rusty. maybe the worst game he has played since he has been here, but again he has only been practicing a few days with these guys. OL could be a strong suit in another 5 weeks. I was expecting horrible and i saw decent.

Pryor was the alpha male in the first half. I saw him break free half a dozen times often with double coverage.

I know a lot of folks are seeing negative after this one but I came away from this one feeling much better than I thought.

If there was one player that had the wow factor out there it was Connor Hamlett. I saw him square up and it was like watching Shaq post for a rebound when playing in the SEC. I think this kid may be the real deal. I love Bibbs and Barnidge but if i could only keep one TE, well lets just say he makes the decision a difficult one. major potential.

Bottom line, we have a long way to go but i still dont know what to think about this team just yet.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 09:13 PM

Quote:
Browns HC Hue Jackson: RG3 shouldn't have thrown ball where he did on INT. Hue takes blame, saying he needs to coach RG3, Barnidge better

https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/764541120449769474
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 10:01 PM
DEcision on the pass looked late to me coming out and it was wide. Wonder how many receivers he checked. A swing delay or rolling out may have helped as well. Shouldn't this group be able to throw some screens? Pryor looks good. Forgot what separation looks like for us.

It is a beautiful thing that.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 10:08 PM
I bet Mostert makes the final 53. He is a track guy with 4.3 speed. Supposed to be a great return man too.

Quote:
Mostert also excelled in the power events. In addition to 20 repetitions in the 225 pound bench press, he posted a 40-inch vertical leap and 11-foot broad jump.

Basically he's a guy you keep as a 3rd runningback.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 10:21 PM
Originally Posted By: columbusdawg
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

As is standard protocol on here. I'm not expecting a lot this season, but to say "players suck" and "players are great" after the first preseason game is always amusing to me.

Wouldn't it be more productive for everyone if you guys give your thoughts on the game rather than other posters?
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 10:38 PM
ROWNS NOTESBrowns coach Hue Jackson says dud to open preseason provides "urgency" to clean up problems

Scott Petrak | The Chronicle-Telegram

Published on Aug. 13, 2016

TWEET
EMAIL
COMMENTS
Coach Hue Jackson got a harsh dose of reality Friday night in the preseason opener.

The Browns lost 17-11 in Green Bay, totaled only 172 yards and took as many safeties as they had scoring possessions (two). The inconsistent performance came despite facing a Packers defense lacking its biggest names.

The Cleveland defense limited Green Bay to 13 points but allowed 320 yards, including 151 on the ground. And perennial Pro Bowl quarterback Aaron Rodgers had the night off.

Jackson knew the numerous issues he inherited when he took the job in January, but the first time against an opponent can be eye-opening.

“Not in the sense that I think everything’s got to change, but in the sense that the urgency of making sure there’s things that we need to correct,” Jackson said Saturday on a conference call. “I anticipated a little bit some of it, but you never know until you play the game exactly what all the things could be. I think what they are are just things that we need to go back and coach and coach up and get better at as a football team.

“There were some bright spots, there were some things we can build on. And obviously there were some mistakes that we’ve got to get corrected.”

The turnaround will be quick, as the Browns practice only three times before hosting Atlanta on Thursday night at FirstEnergy Stadium. Jackson expects significant improvement from his young roster.

“I’m looking for the execution in all three phases to be better, offensively, defensively and special teams,” he said. “We’re an offense that we want to be very consistent as we play. We want to become dynamic. We had a chance to do that, just didn’t finish it on the first drive.

“We want to be able to get off the field on defense. We need to get some stops and three-and-outs and be better on third down. And on special teams we want to make sure that we don’t have turnovers or cause the offense or defense to be put in a bad situation.”

The preseason is never a completely accurate representation. The Browns expect to be better when receivers Corey Coleman and Andrew Hawkins return from hamstring injuries and cornerback Joe Haden is 100 percent following ankle surgery. That doesn’t include receiver Josh Gordon, who’s out with a quadriceps injury and will serve a four-game suspension to start the regular season.

Jackson said he could only take a measure of solace in the missing pieces.

“It is in the sense that there’s a lot of good football players that were standing on the sidelines, and it isn’t because sometimes that’s just the way of the National Football League,” he said. “Sometimes guys get hurt and you got to find a way to score touchdowns and win games when you don’t have those guys.”

And he didn’t give much thought to the Packers playing without Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers.

“I still want to believe that the opportunities that we had were still there,” Jackson said. “It’s more our own inability to execute at a high level. It’s really about us and it’s about how we conduct our business.”

The offense showed its big-play capability on the first snap when quarterback Robert Griffin III completed a 49-yard pass to receiver Terrelle Pryor. It couldn’t convert the spark into points as Griffin threw an ill-advised interception looking for Pro Bowl tight end Gary Barnidge near the goal line.

“There were some things that he did good,” Jackson said of Griffin. “Obviously we can’t have a fumbled (handoff) the second play of the game and you never want to see the turnover.

“But I thought he stood in the pocket and looked real relaxed, kept his poise and tried to make some throws downfield.”

Griffin went 4-for-8 for 67 yards and a 39.1 rating in two series. He hadn’t played in a game since last preseason and walked away healthy despite taking a few hits.

Jackson said the protection wasn’t up to his standards and that Griffin needs to throw with better timing to help the line. Center Cameron Erving allowed one of the hits, but Jackson said other than that he did “some really good things.”

Erving (elbow) and right guard John Greco (hamstring) have missed practice time and right tackle has been a revolving door. Jackson said Austin Pasztor “battled hard” at right tackle against the Packers and will continue to work with the first team.

“We need to get those five guys playing together,” he said.

Pryor continues to be a bright spot for a team in transition. He caught two passes for 57 yards while battling “dead legs” that limited him Wednesday in practice.

“That’s part of training camp,” Jackson said. “Terrelle’s done a great job. It started in the offseason and it continued in training camp and he’s got to continue to get better. And I think he’ll only get better if he continues to work, which I truly believe he will, and stay focused.”

INJURY UPDATE
Promising young receiver Rannell Hall will miss the season after suffering a broken fibula. He played one game as a rookie last year and opened Friday as the first-team slot receiver.

** Quarterback Austin Davis suffered a concussion after taking a big hit on a scramble.

** X-rays on Pryor’s hand were negative.

EXTRA POINTS
Television cameras caught Browns players laughing on the sideline after rookie quarterback Cody Kessler ran out of the back of the end zone for a safety.

“No, they weren’t laughing about that,” Jackson said. “I would guarantee you that.”

** Jackson mentioned receiver Ricardo Louis’ play on special teams, safety Derrick Kindred’s work on special teams and defense and defensive back Tracy Howard when asked about rookies who made an impression.

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/b...-problems.html
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 10:45 PM
At least he acknowledges the issues.

I like Hue. I hope that unrealistic expectations doesn't doom him in two years like all the other past coaches.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 10:46 PM
Quote:
Television cameras caught Browns players laughing on the sideline after rookie quarterback Cody Kessler ran out of the back of the end zone for a safety.

“No, they weren’t laughing about that,” Jackson said. “I would guarantee you that.”

LOL...........I don't know about that one, Hue. brownie
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/13/16 11:54 PM
Browns three safeties getting on c'mon man.

C'MON MAN!
Posted By: columbusdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 12:05 AM

I like Hue. I hope that unrealistic expectations doesn't doom him in two years like all the other past coaches.

I agree. He seems, and of course it's early and we've been through this before so many times, to understand where we are at and there is a lot to do. Hue is the first hire if a coach I've liked since Davis, whom I think would have been a fine coach if he didn't also want the GM position as well.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 12:27 AM
I think with Hue even though this will be a double digit
Losing season you will see progress being made unlike the last Browns coaches were no progress was being made
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 12:58 AM
Quote:

LOL...........I don't know about that one, Hue. brownie

Lol yeah I'd bet they were
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 01:06 AM
Personally, I like the type of draft prospect we targeted and think several of them show "real" promise. I can't remember the last time I felt that way for any of them that weren't QB's that were hyped.

Hue seems to be very level headed and knows what he's after, I saw him coaching during the game last night which was refreshing. Our last few coaches just glared or looked defeated during losing games. Waiting to sort things in practice or when watching tape.

I think a couple of the 2nd year guys are starting to develop too. So I'm just going to relax, expect lots of losses this season but look forward to the steps forward.

On a high note, HOW LUCKY ARE WE WITH PRYOR? That just fell in our lap and I think he's going to be very solid at a minimum.

Jury is going to be out all season on RG3 but we could very well get lucky there too! So it's really not all doom and gloom in my opinion.
I'd much rather have low expectations and maybe get surprised with the good than have high expectation and get deflated once again. I think it might end up being a fun year to watch.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 01:13 AM
That is one benefit of analytics. Theoretically you're taking lottery tickets on players who "fit" the mold from a numerical standpoint. You'd think that you're bound to hit on a few of them each year ... then again, you'd think we would have by now anyways
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 01:15 AM
Well as far as I'm concerned right now, they can keep drafting like that.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 01:19 AM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Well as far as I'm concerned right now, they can keep drafting like that.

I do like what I've seen/heard about Coleman, Ogbah, Nassib, Schobert, Higgins
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 01:31 AM
First preseason game of the first season of a new regime. Brand new schemes, tons of rookies, and a lot of work ahead. I don't think we will win more that a game or two all season yet I haven't felt this positive about the Browns in a long long time. Still on the fence about the front office. Time will tell about them. But I am very happy with what I've seen of Hue Jackson and his new staff. I like Coach Jackson. I think he is a good coach. Unfortunately, he signed on with a team bereft of talent. Even if the Harvard boys hit on a good number of these picks, we have a lot of holes to fill. So I'll be content if our new coaching staff coaches up these youngsters and the team shows improvement gradual thought it may be, from game one to game sixteen.... As long as we look like we are improving even slightly over the year I'll be happy with that. This isn't going to be a quick turnaround. Coaching up the kids and improving week to week is probably all we can hope for. I'm cool with that. Peace
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 01:39 AM

Wow, you and I like the same head coach? THAT doesn't happen..... ever. lol I too like Hue Jackson and his staff. I'm more positive about the Browns than I have been in a very long time. I think we will be lucky to win more than a game or two but I do believe Jackson and staff are the right guys for the job. It's just going to take a while to get some real talent in here. So for once you and I are in agreement about a coach. Amazing! smile
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 01:44 AM
That is one benefit of analytics. Theoretically you're taking lottery tickets on players who "fit" the mold from a numerical standpoint. You'd think that you're bound to hit on a few of them each year ... then again, you'd think we would have by now anyways

We don't know those rookies are good yet. I wasn't impressed last night, but that doesn't mean I think they stink. Likewise, it is too early to say they are good.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 10:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mymf_Lzqw_I&feature=player_embedded

here's a good breakdown of RG3 against GB
Posted By: hitt Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 12:39 PM
JMHO, this guy seemed to be a homer for RGIII...he blamed interception on Barn, claimed zone coverage...LB had Barn so RGIII had to throw inside IF he took shot...ball/points are precious, would have thrown somewhere else.....although Cody's TD pass was also well covered and TD result....could have been pick....Oh, well....first game...NON counter....GO Browns!!!
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 01:01 PM
You can thank Haslam for the crappy announcers we are stuck with for Pre Season .. ( or maybe Dee )
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 02:15 PM
I rewatched the game.Shelton is a bust.
He was getting man handled one on one all night.
His pad level is still too high and he lacks that primal
Anger
He's soft. Plain and simple.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 02:17 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

A SB Nation writer's opinions of Griffin:

Thanks for posting this!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 02:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
Anger

so, it's more of the same from last year. He really was a non-factor last season. Played too high and soft .. a bad combo for a DL.

I remember some calling him "our" version of Ngata ... LOL
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 02:34 PM
RE: Kessler...

I guess I have a different opinion than others. I liked what I saw. It was a small sample but the TD pass was beautiful. That was a real NFL throw. I focused on his demeanor looking for signs of nervousness or anxiety. I love to study people and read body language. He seemed to me to be calm, cool, and collected. He made the mental mistakes, but I could care less. It's a meaningless preseason game and his first real game action. For Kessler it's about projection and how he might grow, mistakes and all, between now and the end of the season and next year. I'm anxious to see the rest of the preseason games.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 03:13 PM
Your so right he is Ngata

Not
Going to
Amount
To
Anything
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 03:21 PM
Anger

so, it's more of the same from last year. He really was a non-factor last season. Played too high and soft .. a bad combo for a DL.

Shelton has the physical ability but he was incredibly raw where as Ngata had some of the best hand work ever at nose especially for one his size. Dont give up Danny just yet. Technique will improve.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 03:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Anger

Shelton has the physical ability but he was incredibly raw where as Ngata had some of the best hand work ever at nose especially for one his size. Dont give up Danny just yet. Technique will improve.

I hope you're right Mourg ... I'll give you mad props if you are!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 03:26 PM
Your so right he is Ngata

Not
Going to
Amount
To
Anything

brownie
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 03:27 PM
So much for the Browns brilliant front office hiring the Karate Kid in the off season to help the lineman in regards to their hands and arms.
You either play violent or you don't especially for a dlineman in the trenches
You can't teach it.
Shelton looks like the part but that's where it ends
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 05:08 PM
Too early to call him a bust.
Posted By: ddubia Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 05:20 PM

Plus, Ngata didn't come out of the gate an all pro stud.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 07:53 PM
Puts the behind in hindsight. Carried on about Barn's mistake and what he should have done. Lousy announcer IMO. Bernie is better than this guy's banter. Not excited for the next game either. We were underwhelmed.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 07:56 PM
I have a hunch Hamlett will make the roster. We may keep 4 TEs if they don't wanna put Devalve on IR/PS

Is he a part time Shakespearean actor too?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 08:16 PM
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

I don't know, but I hope he decides to be, not not to be
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 08:24 PM

I hope he's not a midsummer night's dream.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 08:40 PM
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown

I hope he's not a midsummer night's dream.

and that he isn't just much ado about nothing
Posted By: berea Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 09:21 PM

ROFL
Posted By: berea Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 09:53 PM
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
You can thank Haslam for the crappy announcers we are stuck with for Pre Season .. ( or maybe Dee )

I love Dee, but disagree with her on this decision...
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 11:05 PM
Even if he flashes or plays adequate in my eyes he's still
A bust.
He's a top 15 draft pick. He was drafted to be a force a lynch pin of the front 7. A tone setter. To be disruptive.
I think all these years of bad drafting and failures under every regime has really affected what fans should expect out of their draft picks.
Every team at some drafts a guy and right away he shows why you drafted him where you did.
But with the Browns people on this board are always taking that "eh Cmon we gotta give this player 74 years before we can draw a conclusion on him"
There isn't anything wrong with drafting a young man and boy right out the gate he's a house on fire.a playmaker.
A difference maker.
who was the last player the Browns drafted that was a difference maker right out the gate...even after year 2..?
Joe Thomas.? Joe Haden?
I haven't seen any Khalil Macks....Marcus Peters...Todd Gurleys....AJ Greens on this team in light years
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 11:10 PM
Quote:
Even if he flashes or plays adequate in my eyes he's still
A bust.

That's kinda weird.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/14/16 11:16 PM
Your really smart Versatile..you know the game.
I believe with 1st Rd picks you have to play at a elite level in order to validate your draft selection.
Remember Attubya Rubin out of Iowa St. Mid rd pick.
On a per snap basis...he destroyed Phil Taylor as far as production goes.
Phil was a 1st rd failure even though he flashed.
I believe 1st rd picks are supposed to impact players and 2nd rd picks to a degree.
Jamie Meder has shown me more than Shelton.
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/15/16 12:30 AM
Originally Posted By: ddubia

Plus, Ngata didn't come out of the gate an all pro stud.

Fine, a couple years from now when the light finally comes on he can play, until then sit his fat ass on the bench and put someone in there that wants to hit someone. He still needs to lose some weight and get stronger. There is no excuse for being out of shape. It's his only job. I'm sure we have guys that want it. So let one of them start and maybe someday Sheldon will learn how to be a pro.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/15/16 12:30 AM
I agree w/quite a bit of that. I'm just saying it is a bit too early to say Shelton is a bust. He was disappointing last year, but not a true bust. And he is young. Gotta let it play out, man.

And I am not your typical homer who just defends guys w/out reason.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/15/16 12:39 AM
So how many games do you give Shelton before you give a long term analysis ?
I'd say by game 10 he better have shown the ability to eat up blockers. Walk a center back into the QB so he can't step up....basically anchor Hortons over rated scheme.
I just don't see that aggression a NFL NT has to going from play 1 to play 96.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/15/16 12:56 AM
I don't put a set number on it. I simply evaluate as it happens. It's dangerous to reach conclusions this early.

At this point, I think he has been disappointing. I'll judge each game and comment truthfully about how I feel he plays. And I don't care if my evaluations upset the homers or the haters. Hell.....it's just my not-very-important opinion. It sure doesn't mean squat.

We're just talking football, bro. It's cool. No need to agree.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/15/16 01:14 AM
To disagree and learn is alot more benefiting than just agreeing on
Everything. That's boring to me.
We are just here to discuss the best game in the world.
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/15/16 01:27 AM
I do believe that Meder outplayed Shelton...Shelton better get it together or Meder may just take his spot at starter.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/15/16 01:30 AM
one thing i hated with this game, the camera angles were so poor it was hard to get a feel of who was in the game. really annoying. will try to concentrate more on the next one.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/15/16 01:47 AM
Dude, I had to watch the Packers feed. They kept interviewing Packer players during the game. Looooooooonnnnnnnngggggg interviews.

Freaking annoying.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/15/16 12:41 PM
Vers , watching the Browns feed was just as bad ~
Posted By: edromeo Late to the party but my game notes - 08/15/16 12:54 PM
Game notes...(btw I'm not making value judgments about their play, just describing what I saw)

Demario Davis gets down hill hard then missed the tackle b/c he didn't wrap his arms (on Eddie Lacy's long run beginning of the first quarter)

O Christian Kirksey came down hill with force a couple times was able to stack and shed/get off a block from a lineman..made a tackle and missed another because he didn't wrap up

• good job by Davis to tip a pass on (3rd down?) w/ good coverage from Tramon Williams

^ defense first series
--------------------------------------------------------
Offenses first series:

• Hue Jackson showing his typical formation shifts first play Griffin goes deep complete Terrelle Pryor

• bobbled hand off, Griffin picked the ball up and then try to run it and then went down (I would have preferred if he just fell on the ball and stay there then safer)

• Spread formation quick set Griffin gets the ball to Barnidge on the quick out

• 3rd and 6/ From the pocket, founf Pryor on left sideline on an 8 yard comeback for the 1st down

• (interception) Griffin throws to Barnidge over the middle on a seam to post conversion against cover 2;

Defense 2nd Series:

• Ogbah draws a holding penalty while getting a pressure on 2nd down from the 5-technique rde

Offense third series:

• Griffin bootleg left to barnidge in the flat

• nice run by Duke Williams

• terrible call by the refs not calling the flag on Micah Hyde holding Gary barnidge of the sidelines good read by Griffin, should have more in the vicinity to make it a catchable ball

• Blitz up the middle against the screen Griffin throws into the dirt places safe

• right tackle gave up pressure on 3rd and 10,

Defense next series:
Ogbah gets a hustle sack

Ogbah 3 pressure from 5 tech

Nassib ×2 plays in backfield (1 sack)
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Late to the party but my game notes - 08/15/16 02:10 PM
j/c

Erving needs to get more consistent with his shotgun snaps. He launched it high on the RG3 INT play. I think that may have accelerated Griffin's internal clock some. The more I think about it, I think Barnidge and Griffin are both to blame. It looked like the Packers were in some permutation of cover 2, so Barnidge should have tried to split the safeties. However, it was 1st down and there was no need to try to force it in there. Hyde did make a great play. Plenty of teachable stuff there.
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
j/c
Erving needs to get more consistent with his shotgun snaps. He launched it high on the RG3 INT play. I think that may have accelerated Griffin's internal clock some. The more I think about it, I think Barnidge and Griffin are both to blame. It looked like the Packers were in some permutation of cover 2, so Barnidge should have tried to split the safeties. However, it was 1st down and there was no need to try to force it in there. Hyde did make a great play. Plenty of teachable stuff there.
Erving & OL:
I didn't keep count, but I def saw Erving give up some pressure up the middle, always saw some pressure off the rightside and rightside edge.
That's an area Im gonna watch and note closer in the Atlanta game.

The interception. Watched it over and over a ton. Even have some screen caps that help illustrate what I'm talking about if interested...

Overall I don't "blame" anyone for the interception, it was a hell of a play from Hyde. On the still you can see him accelerate past Barnidge and beat him to the ball.

QB-I think the perfect ball in this situation would be more "into" Barnidge's body rather then leading him upfield. If Griffin makes a throw that forces Barnidge to throttle down and adjust rather then have to chase and extend I think the outcome is either a catch or a drop but not an interception.

Net-net this throw is a learning experience for Griffin and Barnidge as they build chemistry, Gary is a very productive TE but now Griffin knows that he can't lead Gary that far in front and ask him to accelerate to make 'that' type of catch and Gary knows that Griffin is willing to give him a chance on some throws that other QBs might not.

Also, I'm with Hue on this one. While I understand and don't fault Griffin for attempting that throw I would have loved to see him work the slot receiver running the Corner Route on the right side.
The rightside Cover 2 S (Hyde) was hugging the seam which left the Corner Route 1 on 1 and #85? won his route and broke open just when Griffin was making the throw to Gary

Other thoughts-
I liked what I saw from Ogbah and Nassib. Would like to see them play mixed in with the starting defense. Would like to see them in with the 1st unit pass rush. See if they can get that pass rush going it looked too tame to me.

I liked how aggressively both Davis and Kirksey played, getting downhill in the run game. I didn't know that Davis played with that much effort in the run game. Now, they didn't always make the play themselves when they got downhill but they were getting downhill.
I like seeing aggression imho its much harder (damn near impossible) to coach aggression but you can clean up tackling like making sure to bring their arms/wrap

I didn't focus as much as I wanted on the DL, no one jumped out though either good or bad

On the whole, like in most 1st preseason games the tackling was sloppy even from players I consider sure tacklers like IC who I saw miss a tackle

Run game, I think whatever we get from the run game is gonna be handicapped by the lack of the read-option element in preseason. During the regular season I expect the running game to receive a boost b/c defenses will gameplan to account for backside run threat by Griffin.

Anyhow I'm looking forward to seeing more effort made in the run game vs Atlanta

Didn't watch the 2nd half yet
Posted By: edromeo Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/15/16 09:13 PM

Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/15/16 11:54 PM
The only thing I can really say about that game was that it was annoying. Everything about it was just blah.

I'm not too positive/negative about the team after the game, because I've seen enough preseason to know this is just a money grab and nothing else.

Cody Kessler and RG3 both had one nice throw each, and also one or two bonehead plays to go with it.

Josh McCown is terrible. I get his value and wouldn't even consider dealing him for a late round pick. He can play just well enough to allow you to lose a close game. We need him for the sanity of the team as maybe some of these other guys can step up and make plays to win said close game.

Austin Davis is bad, and apparently not very smart. I can't see him making the team. I think Kessler is obviously your third guy. I'd allow him to play the second half of games 2 and 3, and most of the 4th game, because we all know he's going to play this year.

Nassib and Ogbah both look like players. I hope that translates to the regular season. Going to need them.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/16/16 12:01 AM
Agreed about Davis. He has very little upside ... and his talent is minimal to begin with. I wouldn't play him much more to be honest ... give reps to Kessler
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/16/16 02:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn
The only thing I can really say about that game was that it was annoying. Everything about it was just blah.

I'm not too positive/negative about the team after the game, because I've seen enough preseason to know this is just a money grab and nothing else.

Cody Kessler and RG3 both had one nice throw each, and also one or two bonehead plays to go with it.

Josh McCown is terrible. I get his value and wouldn't even consider dealing him for a late round pick. He can play just well enough to allow you to lose a close game. We need him for the sanity of the team as maybe some of these other guys can step up and make plays to win said close game.

Austin Davis is bad, and apparently not very smart. I can't see him making the team. I think Kessler is obviously your third guy. I'd allow him to play the second half of games 2 and 3, and most of the 4th game, because we all know he's going to play this year.

Nassib and Ogbah both look like players. I hope that translates to the regular season. Going to need them.

Just what did you see in Kessler in that game? He got as many safeties on him as he did completed passes.

I'm not saying that he's a bust, but I certainly didn't see anything that would make me want to hand him the reigns just yet.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/16/16 04:50 PM
it is too early to say they are good.

It's too early to say their bad. But that's not stopping us from saying it here.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/16/16 05:03 PM
Quote:
I haven't seen any Khalil Macks....Marcus Peters...Todd Gurleys....AJ Greens on this team in light years

We trade down. Then trade up. Then trade down. Then trade up.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/16/16 06:03 PM
Quote:
Just what did you see in Kessler in that game? He got as many safeties on him as he did completed passes.

I'm not saying that he's a bust, but I certainly didn't see anything that would make me want to hand him the reigns just yet.

Kessler's very first throw was a very nice back shoulder TD throw.. after that not much good. That's what he said. I'm confused how you got from there to "hand him the reigns"...
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/16/16 09:15 PM
Hand him the reins in practice. Some truly stooped stuff. Safeties iced us down. Just hoping we get sharper soon.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/16/16 11:15 PM
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

Kessler's very first throw was a very nice back shoulder TD throw.. after that not much good. That's what he said. I'm confused how you got from there to "hand him the reigns"...

Pretty much. I believe all I said was that he made a nice throw and had a few bonehead plays. Me saying that he should see a lot more preseason time isn't me crowning him. I just believe, based on the way things with this organization go, that he's going to have to start at least one game this year. I believe he is the only true hope for a franchise guy on this team. That's only because he's young and can still be molded and coached up. He's a lottery ticket at best to the rest of us.

I honestly don't think he should play at all this year, but we all know that isn't going to happen. He's got a lot to learn.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/16/16 11:30 PM
I think he should have to earn his spot on the roster rather than have it handed to him.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/17/16 01:27 AM
Sure, but his spot on the roster is pretty much a slam dunk. the Browns will turn to Kessler before Davis
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/17/16 02:30 PM
Quote:
I just believe, based on the way things with this organization go, that he's going to have to start at least one game this year.

I don't completely disagree with you, and I have my concerns about whether RGIII will stay healthy this year... but on the other hand, we can not continually prepare for things based on the way things have always gone in the past... We have to get over that mindset and prepare like an NFL team should prepare, not like an NFL team that is preparing to fail.

Quote:
I believe he is the only true hope for a franchise guy on this team.

Not sure I agree with that. RGIII has more raw talent and has proven that he can play in this league.. the question is whether he can adapt to a style that keeps him healthy.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/17/16 04:01 PM
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:
I believe he is the only true hope for a franchise guy on this team.

Not sure I agree with that. RGIII has more raw talent and has proven that he can play in this league.. the question is whether he can adapt to a style that keeps him healthy.

I'd amend this to state "the question is whether he can adapt to a style that doesn't require him to rely entirely upon his legs/running."
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/17/16 07:27 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/08/the_anatomy_of_a_busted_screen.html

An explanation on what happened on the busted screen play. It comes with pics so I won't post it here.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/18/16 08:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/08/the_anatomy_of_a_busted_screen.html

An explanation on what happened on the busted screen play. It comes with pics so I won't post it here.

Thanks ... if they tried to do this with every busted screen since 99 they'd need 1,000 times the staff
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/18/16 12:30 PM
From what I've seen from Shelton and Erving since they've been drafted has not been good.

Erving had one high snap, and got beat four times in one quarter of play frown
Posted By: Arps Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/18/16 12:40 PM
We have got to be the worst screen team in the history of the NFL.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/19/16 02:49 AM
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

Erving had one high snap, and got beat four times in one quarter of play frown

that sounds bad
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/19/16 02:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Arps

well, I've never seen us pull one off, so yes lol
Posted By: Dave Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/19/16 12:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Arps

well, I've never seen us pull one off, so yes lol

I believe October, 1963 was the last time we had a successful screen pass. At around the 1 minute mark on the video ...

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Post Game Thoughts - 08/20/16 03:42 AM
It's amazing that we are never able to figure out how to execute that, just as it is amazing that we have yet to figure out how to defend Pittsburgh's "Trips" formation that they've been killing us with since Hines Ward's 2nd season.
© DawgTalkers.net