Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
I have watched the interception at the goal-line about 8 times now on ESPN.COM and I don't really see how it was Barnidge's fault. He was running vertically on a seam route - and he was open - when Griffin threw it about 4 yards to his left (just a bit outside). An accurate pass would have been a TD. The announcers, Mike Patrick and Solomon Wilcots were tripping over each other to lay it on Barnidge - unfairly, IMO. I would like to have heard Bernie Kosar's critique, because I think it would have been different than Patrick & Wilcot's.

I agree. I was yelling at them last night when they were blaming Barnidge. If RG3 throws that into the seam then that's a touchdown. If Barnidge caught that he's getting laid out at the one. Really wish Bernie was there for that play.

Mike Patrick: "THAT, my friends, was an example of what is called 'throwing the receiver open'."

Me: "GTFOH!"

speaking of which, the announcers throughout the preseason are VERY difficult to listen to

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
Legend
T
Terrelle Pryor had one big catch at the start, and he pushed off, which reminds me,
the biggest thing I remember from him last year was a nice block he threw.

Pryor's best asset is his zeal to block, If it were me, I'd put him at the tight end, to throw blocks, and his abilities at wr, well he didn't look natural, so tight end routes and catches might prove to make him even more of a mismatch.

I want to see outside runs and reverses with Terrell Pryor throwing lead blocks that set up big gains. Pryor appears to like to block and he's good at it, and he's big for a WR.

Also, imagine that first play from last night, imagine that going up the middle seam coming on a delayed release from the tight end lineup, when the two wr's on the outside draw the safeties out of the middle, or at least one safety out of the middle,
Pryor one on one deep middle, has the speed and size to break it.

He does need to improve his smoothness and natural catching ability and body control through the catch process, it appears.

Post game? Austin Davis?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Terrelle Pryor had one big catch at the start, and he pushed off

He also caught an eradicate pass from RG3 on 3rd down to extend the drive.

Legend
Legend

He also caught an eradicate pass

That sounds dangerous & messy.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

He also caught an eradicate pass

That sounds dangerous & messy.

I can see the headline: Pryor Vaporized By Pass.

Just kidding, CHS, I knew you meant "erratic".

D
Legend
Legend
D
RUn defense still looks iffy

T. Pryor made some good plays.

Nassib is a monster.

The Murray or whoever FG kicker is going to be our new one with a cannon leg like that.

Ogbah was also a force. Him and Nassib already looking good.

Offensive line looks iffy. RGIII getting hit a lot. Best run was Duke, Crow got leveled a few times.

Alexander, the LB, seemed to be all over. I wasn't sure what I thought of Schobert, seems undersized and not very powerful.

Special team's coverage always spot-on, but too many mistake elsewhere.

A lot of work to do.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Also, it was strange that Payton didn't see any time until very late in the game. Hall got way more meaningful reps.

Louis made a nice ST's play, which is where he'll probably need to unseat Moore.

Payton only started practicing with the Browns at the start of training camp, as his class had not graduated in time for him to take part in any of the OTAs. He started training camp significantly behind everyone else.

Hall, obviously, has been with the team since last year .... so he has taken part in every OTA and camp ...... and it has been reported that he has show up well in those sessions, along with camp.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Also, it was strange that Payton didn't see any time until very late in the game. Hall got way more meaningful reps.

Louis made a nice ST's play, which is where he'll probably need to unseat Moore.

Payton only started practicing with the Browns at the start of training camp, as his class had not graduated in time for him to take part in any of the OTAs. He started training camp significantly behind everyone else.

Hall, obviously, has been with the team since last year .... so he has taken part in every OTA and camp ...... and it has been reported that he has show up well in those sessions, along with camp.

Forgot about Payton missing some time.

Also, Hall was injured, so that may change the depth chart a little bit.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Hamfist
I saw what I expected to see: a team that was 3-13 last year with a new front office, a new staff, and a bunch of new players. I wasn't horrifird by the play of the team, I expected them to look rough. My expectations were not very high this year, and, the first game went pretty much like I thought it would.

I saw some things I liked, some I didn't. It is what it is.

Well, I would suppose that they want to see where he can be effective, especially in sub package defenses.

I don't worry too much about where guys line up in the 1st preseason game.

I thought that both Ogbah and Nassib looked good for their 1st pro games. They have work to do, but I was encouraged, especially given that they went against a good team in the Pack.

I was impressed with Meder. He showed a ton of fight on every play he was in the game.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
I only watched the first half, then switched to the Indians game. Did Mike Matthews play at C, and how did he look?

He played late in the game, against the scrubs, but he was one of the few to play well on the OL at that point in the game. He took his man out of the plays ... at least the ones where I concentrated on him.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I have a hunch Hamlett will make the roster. We may keep 4 TEs if they don't wanna put Devalve on IR/PS

Legend
Legend
I only got to see a small handful of plays, but I did like the instincts I saw from Scooby & Schobert. I don't know how they did in a larger sense, but the small selection of plays that I saw they seemed decent.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Hue Jackson likes what he sees from “outstanding” Terrelle Pryor

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...terrelle-pryor/

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 13, 2016, 6:15 AM EDT

When Terrelle Pryor spent the 2014 season out of the NFL, he looked like a failed quarterback whose career was over at age 25. Now Pryor looks like one of the most promising young wide receivers in the NFL.

Pryor started for the Browns in Friday night’s preseason game and opened things up with a 49-yard catch on the first play. He later added an eight-yard catch, and coach Hue Jackson said he’s loving what he’s seeing from Pryor.

“I thought it was outstanding. I think Terrelle is growing each and every day,” Jackson said.

At the moment, Pryor is the Browns’ No. 1 receiver. That may change when rookie first-round draft pick Corey Coleman gets healthy and Josh Gordon returns from his four-game suspension to start the season, but Pryor is a big part of Jackson’s offense in Cleveland. That would have seemed crazy a couple years ago, when Pryor was just looking for a roster spot somewhere, and no team would give him one.

(end)

Pryor? I liked what I saw too! thumbsup

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
there's no doubt Pryor is WAY improved, and that's before getting much game experience

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Your CONSTANT digs about letting the guys walk is annoying, the front office made good faith offers AND two guys you fixate on chose to walk....I don't blame them, they get selected by team they have no ties to and have no control over their working lives UNTIL free agency....you want big bucks, play for team or sit out a year....ya gotta do what you gotta do....we lost couple good players WHO DIDN'T want to be here, why can't you let it alone....line looked bad against mix of starters and backups....concerning...I didn't watch game from Florida, CBS Sports computer feed....RGIII missed TD throw...he hasn't played in game conditions...hope all improve...our rookies got some action...good, Cody threw sweet TD pass...wish paint scheme in endzone would have given him proper fell for where he was....wish rookie WRs showed more....first one under their belt.....hope they all improve....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
R
Legend
Legend
R
I have watched the interception at the goal-line about 8 times now on ESPN.COM and I don't really see how it was Barnidge's fault. He was running vertically on a seam route - and he was open - when Griffin threw it about 4 yards to his left (just a bit outside). An accurate pass would have been a TD. The announcers, Mike Patrick and Solomon Wilcots were tripping over each other to lay it on Barnidge - unfairly, IMO. I would like to have heard Bernie Kosar's critique, because I think it would have been different than Patrick & Wilcot's.

I agree. I was yelling at them last night when they were blaming Barnidge. If RG3 throws that into the seam then that's a touchdown. If Barnidge caught that he's getting laid out at the one. Really wish Bernie was there for that play.

I disagree with you guys. Looked like Barnidge's fault to me combined with a lack of experience playing together between the two. The seam route was not open if Barnidge had continued to run straight. RG3 saw that and believed Barnidge was going to cross the face of the defender; therefore he threw the ball inside.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

I disagree with you guys. Looked like Barnidge's fault to me combined with a lack of experience playing together between the two. The seam route was not open if Barnidge had continued to run straight. RG3 saw that and believed Barnidge was going to cross the face of the defender; therefore he threw the ball inside.

this.

Experience and reps together will get them on the same page. Lucky, this is preseason, and that is what this is for.

I'm not mad at all. I think some of the critiquing is good, but to elaborate and predict what is going to happen in the future off of one preseason game is a stretch.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I agree with that as well, plus it seemed that Barnidge went straight to RG3 after the play as if to say "my fault". Could be the other way around, but I doubt it.

That said, I have not seen a QB in a Browns uniform have that kind of zip on a ball even though it was an int - that was a rifle shot. That was an NFL throw and it was nice to see.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
I hope your right about Nassib .. Not sure if he's going to be athletic enough or strong enough .. He may be a tweener .. Like I said .... I'm INTRIGUED ...

Not as high as U on Kruger .. Not a fan at all ... Not sure what it is he does better than average and there's more than one thing below average ...

Dave - the reason u can't see how it was on Barnidge is simply because it wasn't Barnidge's fault .. That pass should have never been thrown .. If there was a window it was a really really really tiny one ..

He wasn't open either .. The defender in front of him with his back turned had to be thrown over or around .. RG3 chose around .. BAD CHOICE ... Only other option was to "drop" it in over the defender who was between Barnidge and RG3 with his back turned ... Not sure with the defenders behind Barnidge that there was even the smallest of Windows to make that throw ... The angle needed to get it over the guys back and have it get to Barnidge before the defenders got there ... Not sure that was possible ..

Pass simply should have NEVER BEEN MADE ...

There's the right answer ... Hopefully he learns from it ... It's simply all we dawn hope for ...

Legend
Legend
Nassib not athletic enough? I'm worried about the opposite for him. I'm worried if he's polished enough.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: candyman92
Nassib not athletic enough? I'm worried about the opposite for him. I'm worried if he's polished enough.

I think he's athletic, just not very stout at the point of attack .. seems to need some space

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: candyman92

Not sure what u mean by polished enough .. If u mean .. Not look "goofy" .. Then I agree .. *L* .. He's a decent athlete straight ahead .. Like the tackle he made for a sack when he tripped dude up .. That's not going to get ANY STARTER down .. Not sure he posses the lateral mobility to be a good enough athlete ..

He may be .. He is just a pup and learning ... So maybe he'll figure out and grow into his body .. He looked awkward at times .... Like a goofy puppy ... Like I said ... INTRIGUED ..

Actually re-recorded the game so I could see who he was playing against ... And also to see this Ogbah guy ... Not sure who he is but I plan on focusing on him ..

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I saw what I expected to see. A lot of rookie and second year players trying to get their whiskers wet. RG3 getting hit a lot because the OL is not ready for prime time. When you let two very good OL players go without a significant investment to replace them, you end up with a hodge podge of a mess. Combine that with a QB who has had severe knee injuries, and....well?

You can't have this much youth and inexperience and expect what some seem to have claimed thus far. This team is in total rebuild mode. It will take yet again two to three years to see any solid results.

IMO, the best we can hope for is to see marked improvement over the course of the season. We can hope that RG3 doesn't end up in a knee brace sooner rather than later.

People seem to forget how bad this OL was just four or five years ago. Right now, as it stands, we'll be very lucky to have a consistent running game. Vertical pass plays will cause RG3 to take a lot of punishment.

I have to go along with Diam here. I can see some possible potential from both Nassib and Obgah. As of right now, I think they both are best suited for situational rushing situations but I do believe they both may hold the potential for much more.

Pryor looked surprisingly good to the point that even if Gordon doesn't make it back, we still should be fine between him and Coleman.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Your CONSTANT digs about letting the guys walk is annoying

If you don't like me saying they let them walk.......don't read my posts. It's not my fault they let them walk.

Btw-------your constant false optimism is annoying. The Browns suck.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
Dave - the reason u can't see how it was on Barnidge is simply because it wasn't Barnidge's fault .. That pass should have never been thrown .. If there was a window it was a really really really tiny one ..

He wasn't open either .. The defender in front of him with his back turned had to be thrown over or around .. RG3 chose around .. BAD CHOICE ... Only other option was to "drop" it in over the defender who was between Barnidge and RG3 with his back turned ... Not sure with the defenders behind Barnidge that there was even the smallest of Windows to make that throw ... The angle needed to get it over the guys back and have it get to Barnidge before the defenders got there ... Not sure that was possible ..

Glad to see you posting again, Diam. My thinking on that play is that Barnidge, at 6-6, had about 6 inches on any defender around that play. The guy between him and Griffin was a good 5-6 yards away, and Barnidge would have been able to go up and get a ball that was in line with where he was on the field. I don't think a "drop-in-the-bucket" pass was necessary, just something with a little more air under it ... something taller than the defenders, but within Barnidge's reach.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
My thought was... this won't be a year where posters will be screaming.. "We got to start the rookie QB and see what he's got..."

I didn't see the first half of the game, but did see Kessler giving away points. Throw the damn ball away... Scored 6.. gave away 4.. net gain of 2. Fortunately the game ended before he could do more.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
B
Legend
Legend
B
I see a lot of premature conclusions being drawn.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

As is standard protocol on here. I'm not expecting a lot this season, but to say "players suck" and "players are great" after the first preseason game is always amusing to me.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Coaches:

I liked the play calling for both offense and defense. On offense it was high tempo with lots of movement. A good mix of play calling and the threat that any play could be a deep ball. On defense, we showed lots of different blitzes and an effort to pin our ears back on 3rd and long.

RG3

His footwork looked pretty decent. His throwing motion is jacked right now and I am hoping that is just because they are changing it and he hasn't made it habit yet.

He did a little better under pressure than I thought he would in the first preseason game. He was also under pressure constantly.

The interception in the endzone was caused by Gary reading one thing and RG3 reading another. I'm not sure who was wrong on that play but two guys reading something different in the first preseason game is going to happen.

Overall, better than I expected.

The offensive line:

Erving struggled, lunged at blocks, and seemed slow off the snap. Hopefully we see some improvement, because right now Center is the weak spot on this line.

Communication seemed off with the rest of the line, which makes sense with as much shuffling that happened.

Drango did nothing to worry me at the RT spot.

Paztor had an awesome 2nd level block when playing RT and those second level blocks are important in Hue's offense. If Hue is Happy with Greco and Bitonio at guard then Paztor might get the RT spot for his 2nd level blocking alone.

Ladsen played poor enough to probably go in the first round of cuts.

TE- We are deep here. Barnidge looks to be a priority option in Hue's offense. Hamlett looked like a guy that will not only make the team but will have a role. I don't see them cutting DeValve, so Bibbs and Teffler will have their work cut out for them to make the team.

WR's - Pryor looked like he has been playing WR for years. His route running was good and he did well getting separation. We already knew that he had the athletic ability. I am not counting on Gordon for anything, but a starting combo of Coleman/Pryor/Gordon is sounding pretty good to me.

RB - Crow got a shoulder injury on his one unimpressive run. Duke looked like he has gained some strength and ran with some power. Mostert was a happy surprise as well and looked strong in the running game.

FB - did we play any plays with one?

Defensive line:

Soft in the middle, but the outside showed some promise. Shelton disappointed again and I think Meder outplayed him. Cooper looked great on passing downs, but needs to work on his run defense. Nassib played well enough to be in starter conversations.

LB's:

Pleasantly surprised here as well. We already look better at LB than we did last year, even though I know that isn't saying much. We actually set the edge more than a few times! A special shout out to Tank Carder for suddenly figuring out that there is more to football than special teams. Wright and Schobert looked good. For once in a long time in training camp I have some hope for the LB corps.

DB's - A mixed bag. Safeties looked better than I thought and CB's looked worse. If Rodgers played at QB, he would have beaten over the top more than a few times. We'll get a better test with Ryan next week. We do seem to have really good depth and Patterson and Taylor look like they might make the team. Did Kindred play? I didn't see him in.

Special Teams -

I know most guys are upset with our special teams, but honestly most of the guys that are playing on them right now won't be playing on them in the regular season. Lee had an awesome 66 yd punt. Murray had a great kick. Mostert looks like he hasn't returned before. I'm not too worried.

Overall they looked better than I thought they would. Again that isn't saying much because we have a long uphill climb.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

A SB Nation writer's opinions of Griffin:

Tackles are tackles.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Did Shelton make a single play last night?
Or Did I See Him DROVE off THE LOS last night over and over?
He just doesn't play angry enough to anchor that spot.

Legend
Legend
Something really encouraging was when he was blitzed and threw it at Joe Thomas feet. Live to fight another day.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Yes, RPG III looks very fragile. It will surprise me if he plays in half the games this year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
havent read through everything but wanted to put in a few quick thoughts

1st off Nassib was our best player on defense. It wasnt the shoe string trackles either. he really showed me that he has a great intellect for the game of football. He sniffed out several screens and forced the QB to make a decision. he set the edge strongly. I thought this kid was probably the best player we drafted and nothing from this game showed me any difference.

Ogbah I wasnt very high on but I saw some quick gettup that left me very intrigued. I think Ogbah, Cooper and Armonty could really wreck havoc with an offensive line's moral when it comes to protecting the passer.

Our Secondary needs trimmed. I saw a lot of guys out there that shouldnt be 4th string on a 90 man roster.

Special teams. Overall I was pleasantly surprised with this group although we did have a couple stupid mistakes. I believe this could be a really strong point of this team.

offensively. RG3 looked the part. I thought Barnidge was 100% responsible for the int. RG3 to the empty spot and Barnidge really wasnt aware of his surroundings at all. He hanst practiced much and this is not a mistake u will probably see him make again this year.

Playcalling for the passing game was utter confusion. You get Coleman and Gordon with Pryor, Johsnon and Barnidge out there and thats an offense that could do damage.

I really though Greco looked rusty. maybe the worst game he has played since he has been here, but again he has only been practicing a few days with these guys. OL could be a strong suit in another 5 weeks. I was expecting horrible and i saw decent.

Pryor was the alpha male in the first half. I saw him break free half a dozen times often with double coverage.

I know a lot of folks are seeing negative after this one but I came away from this one feeling much better than I thought.

If there was one player that had the wow factor out there it was Connor Hamlett. I saw him square up and it was like watching Shaq post for a rebound when playing in the SEC. I think this kid may be the real deal. I love Bibbs and Barnidge but if i could only keep one TE, well lets just say he makes the decision a difficult one. major potential.

Bottom line, we have a long way to go but i still dont know what to think about this team just yet.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

Quote:
Browns HC Hue Jackson: RG3 shouldn't have thrown ball where he did on INT. Hue takes blame, saying he needs to coach RG3, Barnidge better

https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/764541120449769474

Legend
Legend
DEcision on the pass looked late to me coming out and it was wide. Wonder how many receivers he checked. A swing delay or rolling out may have helped as well. Shouldn't this group be able to throw some screens? Pryor looks good. Forgot what separation looks like for us.

It is a beautiful thing that.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I bet Mostert makes the final 53. He is a track guy with 4.3 speed. Supposed to be a great return man too.

Quote:
Mostert also excelled in the power events. In addition to 20 repetitions in the 225 pound bench press, he posted a 40-inch vertical leap and 11-foot broad jump.

Basically he's a guy you keep as a 3rd runningback.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: columbusdawg
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

As is standard protocol on here. I'm not expecting a lot this season, but to say "players suck" and "players are great" after the first preseason game is always amusing to me.

Wouldn't it be more productive for everyone if you guys give your thoughts on the game rather than other posters?

Legend
Legend
ROWNS NOTESBrowns coach Hue Jackson says dud to open preseason provides "urgency" to clean up problems

Scott Petrak | The Chronicle-Telegram

Published on Aug. 13, 2016

TWEET
EMAIL
COMMENTS
Coach Hue Jackson got a harsh dose of reality Friday night in the preseason opener.

The Browns lost 17-11 in Green Bay, totaled only 172 yards and took as many safeties as they had scoring possessions (two). The inconsistent performance came despite facing a Packers defense lacking its biggest names.

The Cleveland defense limited Green Bay to 13 points but allowed 320 yards, including 151 on the ground. And perennial Pro Bowl quarterback Aaron Rodgers had the night off.

Jackson knew the numerous issues he inherited when he took the job in January, but the first time against an opponent can be eye-opening.

“Not in the sense that I think everything’s got to change, but in the sense that the urgency of making sure there’s things that we need to correct,” Jackson said Saturday on a conference call. “I anticipated a little bit some of it, but you never know until you play the game exactly what all the things could be. I think what they are are just things that we need to go back and coach and coach up and get better at as a football team.

“There were some bright spots, there were some things we can build on. And obviously there were some mistakes that we’ve got to get corrected.”

The turnaround will be quick, as the Browns practice only three times before hosting Atlanta on Thursday night at FirstEnergy Stadium. Jackson expects significant improvement from his young roster.

“I’m looking for the execution in all three phases to be better, offensively, defensively and special teams,” he said. “We’re an offense that we want to be very consistent as we play. We want to become dynamic. We had a chance to do that, just didn’t finish it on the first drive.

“We want to be able to get off the field on defense. We need to get some stops and three-and-outs and be better on third down. And on special teams we want to make sure that we don’t have turnovers or cause the offense or defense to be put in a bad situation.”

The preseason is never a completely accurate representation. The Browns expect to be better when receivers Corey Coleman and Andrew Hawkins return from hamstring injuries and cornerback Joe Haden is 100 percent following ankle surgery. That doesn’t include receiver Josh Gordon, who’s out with a quadriceps injury and will serve a four-game suspension to start the regular season.

Jackson said he could only take a measure of solace in the missing pieces.

“It is in the sense that there’s a lot of good football players that were standing on the sidelines, and it isn’t because sometimes that’s just the way of the National Football League,” he said. “Sometimes guys get hurt and you got to find a way to score touchdowns and win games when you don’t have those guys.”

And he didn’t give much thought to the Packers playing without Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers.

“I still want to believe that the opportunities that we had were still there,” Jackson said. “It’s more our own inability to execute at a high level. It’s really about us and it’s about how we conduct our business.”

The offense showed its big-play capability on the first snap when quarterback Robert Griffin III completed a 49-yard pass to receiver Terrelle Pryor. It couldn’t convert the spark into points as Griffin threw an ill-advised interception looking for Pro Bowl tight end Gary Barnidge near the goal line.

“There were some things that he did good,” Jackson said of Griffin. “Obviously we can’t have a fumbled (handoff) the second play of the game and you never want to see the turnover.

“But I thought he stood in the pocket and looked real relaxed, kept his poise and tried to make some throws downfield.”

Griffin went 4-for-8 for 67 yards and a 39.1 rating in two series. He hadn’t played in a game since last preseason and walked away healthy despite taking a few hits.

Jackson said the protection wasn’t up to his standards and that Griffin needs to throw with better timing to help the line. Center Cameron Erving allowed one of the hits, but Jackson said other than that he did “some really good things.”

Erving (elbow) and right guard John Greco (hamstring) have missed practice time and right tackle has been a revolving door. Jackson said Austin Pasztor “battled hard” at right tackle against the Packers and will continue to work with the first team.

“We need to get those five guys playing together,” he said.

Pryor continues to be a bright spot for a team in transition. He caught two passes for 57 yards while battling “dead legs” that limited him Wednesday in practice.

“That’s part of training camp,” Jackson said. “Terrelle’s done a great job. It started in the offseason and it continued in training camp and he’s got to continue to get better. And I think he’ll only get better if he continues to work, which I truly believe he will, and stay focused.”

INJURY UPDATE
Promising young receiver Rannell Hall will miss the season after suffering a broken fibula. He played one game as a rookie last year and opened Friday as the first-team slot receiver.

** Quarterback Austin Davis suffered a concussion after taking a big hit on a scramble.

** X-rays on Pryor’s hand were negative.

EXTRA POINTS
Television cameras caught Browns players laughing on the sideline after rookie quarterback Cody Kessler ran out of the back of the end zone for a safety.

“No, they weren’t laughing about that,” Jackson said. “I would guarantee you that.”

** Jackson mentioned receiver Ricardo Louis’ play on special teams, safety Derrick Kindred’s work on special teams and defense and defensive back Tracy Howard when asked about rookies who made an impression.

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/b...-problems.html

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
At least he acknowledges the issues.

I like Hue. I hope that unrealistic expectations doesn't doom him in two years like all the other past coaches.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 11 Packers 17 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard