DawgTalkers.net
About half of white Republicans, 18 percent of white Democrats would be bothered to hear foreign language in public

Close to half of white Republicans in the United States said they would be bothered if they heard someone speak a foreign language in a public in a new survey released by the Pew Research Center on Wednesday.

According to the new survey, 47 percent of white respondents who identified as Republican or Republican-leaning said they would be bothered “some” or “a lot” by a person speaking a language in public that was not English. By contrast, only 18 percent white respondents who identified as Democrat or Democrat-leaning said they would be bothered.

Fifty-eight percent of white Democrats said that they wouldn’t be bothered at all by hearing someone speak in a foreign language in a public. Twenty-six percent of white Republicans also answered the same.

Outside of political modifiers, the survey found that 34 percent of all white respondents said they would be bothered hearing people speak in a foreign language in public. Twenty-four percent of black respondents, and the same percentage of Asians surveyed, also said they would be bothered; 14 percent of Hispanics said the same.

In contrast, 68 percent of Hispanic respondents said they wouldn’t be bothered if they heard a person speak in a language that was not English in public. Half of Asian respondents said the same, as well as 48 percent of black respondents and 41 percent of white respondents.

Of the Hispanic respondents polled not born in the U.S., 76 percent said this would not bother them at all, while 61 percent of Hispanics who were born in the U.S. said the same.

The survey comes as a number of viral confrontations show white people berating people in public for speaking languages other English.

Earlier this year, a gas station clerk in California was fired after he was captured on video ranting at a customer who speaking Spanish and asking her to prove she was an American citizen.

Dunkin’ Donuts was also forced to issue an apology last year after a video surfaced showing an employee arguing with a Somali-speaking family in an incident the family said began because its members were speaking their native language.

Last May, a lawyer in New York City also came under fire online after viral videos showed him lashing out at customers and employees for speaking Spanish and making threats to call Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-...white-democrats

I'm sure the numbers aren't new and this has always been a thing, but it is eye opening to see them studied.
Put me down as leaning really far right on this one.
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

HOLA!
I see it often, white dudes looking crazy at somebody and/or group of people speaking another language, especially if it’s latinos or Arabs.

And we constantly see the viral videos of some loser telling people to speak English in this country to people minding their own business.

Which is funny because half the time, the foreigners/bilingual people speak better English than they do.

Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

HOLA!

Nosotros vamos la playa....not bad for a white boy rofl
Quote:
I see it often, white dudes looking crazy at somebody and/or group of people speaking another language

I'll admit I use to be that way but changed my position a few years ago. However, I still believe people should be able to speak English if you live here. I actually was taught Spanish by some Cuban friends. Whats funny to me is the reaction of some Latinos when they see I know some espanol.
It’s surprising to them because the typical American is about the most uncultured person in the world.

Bro, did you know that less than 35% of the country has a passport? So many people in this country haven’t visited an overseas location. Canada doesn’t count, nor the Caribbean’s.

Hell, my wife has gotten crazy looks for speaking German.

HOLA!

Estoy abajo con ese hermano
Originally Posted By: daytnabacker

HOLA!

Don't forget your sun screen.
Quote:
It’s surprising to them because the typical American is about the most uncultured person in the world.

I resemble that remark
Quote:

I agree man, it's pretty damn disgusting.

Quote:

Yea, I spent 3 years in Germany when I was in the Army. Our 1st week there we had a weeks class to learn some German. Dude, I was excited to hit the streets, I remember my 1st question in German, vo es das bonhoff (butchered the spelling) and the reply was in English,,,,DAMMIT you're not helping, sprechen zie deutch lol
On any given day working in nursing homes around the city I hear about as much Spanish as I do English. Most CNA’s and caregivers in this city are Latino.
Bothers me not.

.,.except I’m a little jealous. They’re bilingual and I’m not.
People fear the unknown. Not knowing what somebody is saying when they are near you is unnerving especially if you are somehow engaged in the situation. I get this but the viral videos and the dumbasses who feel entitled to lash out at others for no reason still bothers me.

I remember when I was in the Navy in my late teens and early twenties still discovering or realizing my own bigotries, it bothered me when my Filipino shipmates spoke in tagalog. And I believe at the time the Navy had an english only policy on board ships, but I'm not 100% sure.

However as I've aged, and learned enough of various languages to make out what is being said, it does not bother me near as much. I often speak spanish when somebody I'm talking to struggles in english, even though my spanish is very rough it still helps most of the time.

I imagine that it's only been in the last 100 years or so that speaking other languages has become a non-essential part of most people's lives in America. During our founding and for the first 100 years of expansion, I imagine that learning other's languages to communicate was an absolute necessity to peaceful coexistence. Between the various immigrants, native tribes, and imperial colonization by European governments in the new world, being multilingual or having the capacity via others to translate was probably a matter of life or death most of the time.

Yet here we are today with the self entitled descendants of those American's declaring that english is the only acceptable language in the US because that's the only language they ever bothered to learn. If these dumbasses in the viral videos could understand what was being said in those other languages they would have no issue whatsoever with people speaking in them.

I think the whole intolerance issue boils down to education or the lack thereof.

HOLA!

Don't forget your sun screen.

las mujeres latinas son hermosos como el agua...i can speak it just cant spell it superconfused
dos palomas fuerte
you flipping me the bird OCD? just playing thumbsup

Sorry that was Bpg
I've never understood this, especially as one who has traveled abroad. I know a few words in many languages, always the basics when I travel to a country, and have more than basic spanish and italian - but I'm not fluent in anything other than English. Why would I hold someone accountable to what I can't do when I visit their country?

People are allowed to be tourists in the US. People still get visas to work and live in the US (and yes there are a small percentage of illegals).Why do people have problems with people speaking their native language to each other? Not trying to argue with anyone, I just don't understand it.

(side note, my dad is big into the "if you're in the country speak the language" - we visited Mexico as a family in 2009 and I called him on not speaking a word of spanish while we were there - not my proudest moment, but necessary)
you flipping me the bird OCD? just playing thumbsup

Sorry that was Bpg

Palomas are a tradicional mexican cocktail

Two Strong Palomas por favor

https://www.thedailybeast.com/paloma-the-national-drink-of-mexico

Quote:
Paloma: The National Drink of Mexico
my bad BpG, I thought it meant birds...I stand corrected thumbsup

Hence flipping me 2 birds lol
Quote:
las mujeres latinas son hermosos como el agua...i can speak it just cant spell it

I can't spell it or speak it, but I can google it naughtydevil
Based on my understanding of Spanish I am fairly certain I don't want to google this at work.
Google is awesome lol

The hardest thing for me was when to use el or la. Also, I have Puerto Rican friends and some words are different meanings, what Cubans interpret as a compliment the Puerto Ricans say it's an insult...hey I can get away with it cuz I'm white and don't know any better rofl
Hearing a foreign language conversation in public doesn't bother me at all. I assume they are tourists or they are multilingual..

The only thing that does bother me is people who actually move and live here and don't speak English and make no effort to learn, then act like it's MY FAULT that I can't understand them.
Quote:
I'll admit I use to be that way but changed my position a few years ago.

I'm curious about this. Why/how the change?

p.s. My town is about as multi-ethnic as it gets. I hear everything from Romanian to Arabic. Never bothered me. In fact, I've always found them fascinating. There is music in speech, and music is what I do/am.
I enjoy hearing other languages. Have no issue with it, and am trying to learn Spanish myself.

however I believe if you are immigrating to the country, you should be required to learn the language, IMO.
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
...The only thing that does bother me is people who actually move and live here and don't speak English and make no effort to learn...

Bingo! The article/poll doesn't ask WHY some people dislike hearing a foreign language spoken in public...it basically throws out the condemnation that 50% of white republicans are racist xenophobes. Which is a popular tactic that couldn't be further from the truth.

My Mom is German. She came here after WW2 to live with her sister who married a G.I. Her Mom sent her away because she said Germany had nothing to offer my Mom. She knew ONE English word and everything she owned was in her ONE suitcase.

My uncle forbade my Mom and Aunt from speaking German in public. He didn't care whether they spoke German at home. He contended that it would only harm them to NOT learn to speak English and to NOT be able to do so in public. He was harsh...but he was spot on. It was - and is - part of the process of becoming an American citizen.

The USA is a Melting Pot. Not a cabinet full of pots. Learn the language...contribute to society...pay your taxes...simple. Becoming an American citizen does not require one to give up their heritage, but it does require some effort to melt in with the rest of the American citizens.
Quote:
however I believe if you are immigrating to the country, you should be required to learn the language, IMO.

I think most people make the effort once they get here. I mean, they want to navigate daily life as seamlessly as they can; learning the common language is the most effective way to reach that goal.

There is a pattern to language assimilation in immigrants, especially when multiple generations are involved. Learning comes from the young first, whose minds are more plastic for things like language. They pick it up quickly, through school and interacting with other kids.

The parents learn slower, and struggle more than the kids, but tend to learn it well enough to get by, secure/maintain jobs, etc. They have thicker accents than their kids, who usually sound like all other American kids. The grandparents are truly 'hit or miss' learning the new language, so their mother tongue is usually spoken exclusively in their homes.

For this reason alone, I could never lambaste someone for speaking a language other than English. I don't know their situation, and their own conversations are none of my business anyway. I don't go sticking my nose into other's passing conversations spoken in English... why would I treat others any differently?

Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:

I think most people make the effort once they get here. I mean, they want to navigate daily life as seamlessly as they can
; learning the common language is the most effective way to reach that goal.

There is a pattern to language assimilation in immigrants, especially when multiple generations are involved. Learning comes from the young first, whose minds are more plastic for things like language. They pick it up quickly, through school and interacting with other kids.

The parents learn slower, and struggle more than the kids, but tend to learn it well enough to get by, secure/maintain jobs, etc. They have thicker accents than their kids, who usually sound like all other American kids. The grandparents are truly 'hit or miss' learning the new language, so their mother tongue is usually spoken exclusively in their homes.

For this reason alone, I could never lambaste someone for speaking a language other than English. I don't know their situation, and their own conversations are none of my business anyway. I don't go sticking my nose into other's passing conversations spoken in English... why would I treat others any differently?

Very fair point. However, your now-underlined sentence above is my issue. I don't think learning the language and assimilating is the norm as it once was. People clamor for bi-lingual road signs and 'press 2 for Spanish'.

My wife teaches 3 year old pre-school. She has a boy in her class who is from a foreign country. The school year is almost over and he still speaks virtually no English. His parents speak their native language at home. Some day it will be great that he is bilingual...today and while he is developing, he is being done no favors at home.
the number of people who refuse to learn english in this country is so small, its not even an issue.

its a beyond overblown narrative. some serious Haley's Comet kinda nonsense.
Quote:

I think most people make the effort once they get here. I mean, they want to navigate daily life as seamlessly as they can; learning the common language is the most effective way to reach that goal.

I agree, I believe they do as well. Personally I just think it should be a requirement. If I was moving to say China, I would fully expect to have to learn the language, and would want too.

I believe you are spot on with what you are saying about learning patterns.

My best friend immigrated here about 13 years ago from Mexico. They speak mostly English in their home for the first 5 years so he could learn the language easier. They speak Spanish on the weekends so his daughter grew up bilingual. Its rather funny, because his wife who was born here, speaks Spanish more properly than he does - as he uses slang and dialect from his region, and she was taught in school.
Originally Posted By: Swish
the number of people who refuse to learn english in this country is so small, its not even an issue.

its a beyond overblown narrative. some serious Haley's Comet kinda nonsense.

I wouldn't agree with that. I delt with the public every day for well over 30 years and ran into people every week who couldn't speak english. Many of them had been in this country for years.
I've managed a lot of construction crews and janitorial staffs. Likening it to Haley's comment is ridiculous.
and i disagree with you.
Originally Posted By: BpG
I've managed a lot of construction crews and janitorial staffs. Likening it to Haley's comment is ridiculous.

Not sure what you are saying? Must have been responding to somebody else.
I hate this quick reply button. It was in response to GM's post.

I almost never use that thing.
It wasn't a feature of the old board, so I learned to respond directly to the poster in question.

I also don't use the quick type field at the bottom of the page. That automatically tags the thread's OP.
Quote:
I'll admit I use to be that way but changed my position a few years ago.

I'm curious about this. Why/how the change?

p.s. My town is about as multi-ethnic as it gets. I hear everything from Romanian to Arabic. Never bothered me. In fact, I've always found them fascinating. There is music in speech, and music is what I do/am.

Moving to Florida was a culture shock. This State is the most diverse I've seen. At 1st I would despise the Hispanics for not even attempting to learn English. (Despite what Swish says, too many still refuse). Also, I think I was an ignorant product of my environment living in Ohio. Friends wouldn't vaca in Miami because of the Cubans.

Why did I change my view, that's simple, I got to know Hispanics, like those very Cubans my friends up north complained about. I got to know Puerto Ricans, Venezuelans, Columbians, Mexicans and other ethnicity like Jamaicans, you know what I learned? They're frickin AWESOME people!

The biggest shock when I moved here was when I heard a white friends 80 yr old father say my N this my N that...I told him where I'm from that will get you killed and all he could say was welcome to Florida. A black friend showed me the actual hanging tree in Bartow, Florida that had a plaque memorializing it. I never felt so low as a white man. But I digress...

Learning Spanish became fun and even more fun talking to Hispanic women which I personally think are the most beautiful in the world thumbsup

I almost never use that thing.
It wasn't a feature of the old board, so I learned to respond directly to the poster in question.

I also don't use the quick type field at the bottom of the page. That automatically tags the thread's OP.

I feel like it should tag the most recent post, I know it does not but I keep doing it anyway lol.
banghead

Now.... which do you think will give out first- your head, or the wall?
rofl
Thanks for that reply.

For me, it's been a trip living in Ohio all my life. My Parents insisted that my sis and I experience places, people, and things. And the more we did these, the more open we became. Being involved in The Arts contributed, as well.

From age 10 on, I've been involved with foreigners, immigrants, LGBTQ's, non-conformists etc. This has sometimes put me at odds with those who lived more sheltered, monochromatic lives.

I've picked up on a theme here: Folks like Swish and others who got to see the world through their Service, folks like you who have gotten out of the state, and folks like me who do the cosmopolitan thing have similar outlooks, regardless of base ideology. I find that kinda cool.

Obviously, the key is to get out there and be around all sorts of folks. The challenge is to drag others along with you.
I agree Clem and props to you thumbsup

I grew up in rural Medina County. There were no blacks at my school, 100% white. My dad had one black friend that was married to a white woman 20 yrs his jr. I remember a convo we had about that after I rode on the back of his harley thru the town of Nova. I experienced my 1st racist confrontation. I was 13. Earl told my dad about it... Earl was a huge man and I asked my dad why he didn't just kick there butt. He said Earl is the better man, anyways my dad said something to me that stuck. He said you pick your friends by what you have in common not by color of their skin. Pretty much why 80% of my friends in the army were black because of sports.

Anyways, your point is 100% correct, you have to intermingle with EVERYBODY to appreciate our different cultures.

On a side note, St. Croix has the most interesting and enjoyable music festivals I've seen. Again, props to you!
Yea you definitely seem like a dude I would’ve got into all kinds of trouble with in Germany lolol
World travel is one of the most enriching experiences we can have. More Americans should step of this continent. I think it’d change a lot about how we think of ourselves. Maybe dissolve some of the American exceptionalism that’s so prevalent in our society. Help to show that we’re all on this rock together just trying to get by. Skin color becomes irrelevant. Language barriers aren’t seen as barriers to connecting as humans.
I’ve traveled a fair amount. I speak no language except English. Bridging language barriers has always been one of the challenges, but also one of the joys of travel. One of the funnest conversations I’ve had in my life was sitting in a coffee shop in Amsterdam with a table of Sicilian guys that spoke no, to very broken English. I know some, VERY little, Spanish... which in its roots is Latin enough to bridge some to some Italian... anyway, I had a little cannabis left over and couldn’t take it with me. (Last day of vacation) So I offered it to them. As I was offering it to them I already had lit and was smoking a joint I had rolled. One of the guys in the group noted I didn’t roll a filter into it. (As Europeans typically do) After many attempts he was able to express that to me and in his broken English and hand gesture way ask “why no filter?”... I flexed like Arnold, jokingly looking tough, and said “I’m American”. They burst into laughter and invited me to their table. We sat and smoked and talked and laughed for an hour or better. They were in their 20’s. Most were unmarried. All of them worked together at what I gathered was a water park. I believe they were lifeguards. Summer was over they took a guys only trip to Amsterdam. All of us were in a foreign country. None of us spoke Dutch. We crossed paths randomly and ended up sitting together. None of us knew the other’s language. Yet, we had a very human connection. I often wonder if they tell the same story from their perspective all these years later.

It’s a small world. Traveling it makes us face that and open our minds.
and i disagree with you.

Thats just fine with me bro. Just remember when you talk about people based on your military experience I listen since I am not educated about that. When I talk about the public folks in Ohio I am very, very, well educated and your not. So can we agree that you should have the same respect?
That makes absolutely no sense. I live here in Ohio just like you do.
I don't have a problem hearing a foreign language being spoke in public. I do however have a problem with people who move to America with long range plans to live here not learning English in an attempt to properly assimilate into American culture.
That makes absolutely no sense. I live here in Ohio just like you do.

But I spent well over 30 years dealing and talking with folks of all races, ages, colors, religions and opinions 70 to 80 hours a week for years. Have you done the same???
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I don't have a problem hearing a foreign language being spoke in public. I do however have a problem with people who move to America with long range plans to live here not learning English in an attempt to properly assimilate into American culture.

What are your thoughts on things like Sharia courts and other willful attempts to not just not assimilate but to change or side step our culture?
Lmfao boy stop. Thats such a reach it’s not even cute. You know how many people can claim the same thing?

Just cause you’re old doesn’t mean you’re wise.
Hold on stop right there. Did I EVER say I way wise?????? Did I ever accuse you of saying you were wise because you were in the military?

I respected you *and I still do* because of your experience in the military and over seas. Now your disrespecting me because I have experience that you don't have. I'm sorry but your attitude sucks, your lack of respect for somebody who has respect for you sucks. What in the hell is your problem bud???
I don’t have experience with interacting with a ton of different people from different backgrounds?

Do you understand how clueless you’re coming off right now?
I understand how clueless your coming off as right now, and how disrespectful. I have delt with way over 200,000 different people just in my work alone, over the last 30 years and you ignore that, because it doesn't suit your needs.
Way over 200K?

That fact that you’re trying to even put a number on it makes it all the more laughable.
The FACT that your ignoring me makes me wonder why I have spent so much time trying to connect with you. I thought you were a good guy. I thought most people treated you wrong on this message board. I thought you could teach me some things I didn't know (which you have) I thought we could become friends and teach other some things about life. It looks like I was wrong and you don't want to learn, or teach. You just want to spread hate tsktsk
I'm not as old as GM and I've dealt with 384,215 different people. Of which, 16,004 spoke a different language.
If you would stop smoking crack that number would drop to 8,000 wink
Well that’s your problem.

I’m not gonna suck up to you when you’re wrong. You conversing with a ton of people means what? That’s somehow suppose to override my experiencing interacting with a ton of people.

That not a skill set. Steve Brannon talks to a lot of people. And since he’s old, by your logic I’m suppose to concede my experience to his because.....?

What? You’re older than me?
Quote:
I’m not gonna suck up to you when you’re wrong

I never once asked you to do that.

Quote:
You conversing with a ton of people means what? That’s somehow suppose to override my experiencing interacting with a ton of people.

Yet you once told me to shut up because I was never in the military and didn't have your experience. I agreed that I was never in the military and didn't have the same life experience as you. Now you want to dismiss my life experience. That is being two faced and disrespectful. You Sir are becoming a waste of my time.

I wanted to really get to know you. To learn from each other, to teach other about our differences. However you don't seem to care. You just want to spread hate and cry about our differences instead of teaching me anything. Good luck in life. I wish you nothing but the best, but I refuse to spend any more of my time trying to connect with you and learn from you. Life is to short to waste it on your hate.
Ok bye thumbsup
Goodbye

Just know my door is always going to be open if you want to connect.
I’m cool but thanks
"Outside of political modifiers, the survey found that 34 percent of all white respondents said they would be bothered hearing people speak in a foreign language in public. Twenty-four percent of black respondents, and the same percentage of Asians surveyed, also said they would be bothered; 14 percent of Hispanics said the same."

One thing that bothers me about this post is that "Whites" are only mentioned in the title as implying that we are the problem and the only problem. but the above paragraph is mentioned in the article. Why not just group everybody as here in America. Due note this , I sure this study was done in this country. Speak English in lets say Japan or even Russia and I'm sure you'll get the same reaction or worse. All foreign countries have their own language and react in the same way. no since getting racist about it. By the way I don't mind any diff. language being spoke around me as long as they aren't bad mouthing me. I'm used to it as I worked around Germans, japanese, and mexicans all speaking their languages and all i wonder is "What did they just say?" As I only speak english.
Sometimes Swish gets really excited in these threads.
GM, you have been on this board way too long to not get his MO. Responding to him expecting more than an arrogant, know it all, better than you response was your bad, not his.
I probably hear at least one foriegn language every day.... typically Spanish but there are people from all over the world living in my area...ain't that big of a deal....
That's all I was trying to say.

Thanks, My Dawg.
Portland, there is nothing wrong with American exceptionalism. Why do you think so many people try to come here? They come here so they and their kids can become Americans, and they can get some of that exceptionalism for themselves. I've never met a person that isn't proud of the country they came from, and unless they plan on going back home to stay, they're proud to become American. Should those that come here learn English, learn our culture, and learn how to assimilate? Yes, if they want to get ahead in life. I would do it if I moved to their country, as it seems a wise thing to do.
So what exactly is American culture?

I’ve yet to see anybody on this board properly define it.

That's easy. American culture is made up from taking the best of the country you left and blending it with what's already here. It's not 100% what an immigrant knew in the past, and there are different enclaves in areas of the country. New England is still mostly english/irish/scottish. The mid west is German/Polish/Scandinavian. The Mississippi delta area is french in heritage. The west and south west is a blend of all of it with latin culture. It all blends together to make a unique American culture.
I don't chime in this section anymore and I very rarely even read the various threads. However, this one caught my eye as I have lived abroad and traveled a lot and I am married to an English woman who obviously speaks English, but has an accent, which people immediately comment on when she opens her mouth (to be fair, when I lived in England I got the same thing).

Dude, my wife has gotten crazy looks for having a British accent! Americans still can't understand her when she asks for a "glass of water" in a restaurant! She literally has to put on a lame, over the top "valley girl" style American accent just so they can understand her. Oh, and most Americans also immediately think she is Australian, which irritates her to no end.

All of that said, she is also aware that Americans have a love affair with British accents, which can also be annoying as the conversation immediately turns to her accent rather than the point of why they were talking in the first place. However, unlike other languages/accents the American love affair w/the British accent also brings its own privilege, which is an entirely different conversation.
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell
Portland, there is nothing wrong with American exceptionalism. Why do you think so many people try to come here? They come here so they and their kids can become Americans, and they can get some of that exceptionalism for themselves. I've never met a person that isn't proud of the country they came from, and unless they plan on going back home to stay, they're proud to become American. Should those that come here learn English, learn our culture, and learn how to assimilate? Yes, if they want to get ahead in life. I would do it if I moved to their country, as it seems a wise thing to do.

The issue I have with American exceptionalism is when it’s used as a bludgeoning tool by someone that’s never set foot out of their county... let alone their country. “If you don’t like it here then just leave! Murika’s the freest country on earth!!!...blah blah blah”
I’ve traveled enough to know there are places I could live equally as happily as here. Equally as ‘free’. Whatever that is in today’s society. I also know I’ve felt safer in other countries. The food quality is better in other countries. Healthcare can’t bankrupt you in other countries. I could go on.
I do believe that those that choose to come here should do their best to learn English and generally assimilate to American life. As has been stated earlier in the thread, the older generations will struggle. They’re the bridge generation. Helping the family remember their past. Where they’re from. A holder of some of those traditions. I’m fine with that.

I’d try to learn the language if/when I leave this country for another. That said I don’t have a natural predication for learning languages. I struggled in high school Spanish. One of a very few subjects with which I struggled.
I have an expat buddy, in his mid 50’s, living in Thailand. He teaches English as a second language. It’s an immersive program. Meaning no Thai is spoken. He’s been there teaching for around 7 years. In that time he’s only learned a handful Thai words and phrases. It’s a tough language to pick up. He hangs out socially primarily within a group of other expats from the US, UK, and Australia.
Is he wrong for not assimilating into Thai culture? Learning the Thai language? He lives in a city of 12 million, does it matter?
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell

That's easy. American culture is made up from taking the best of the country you left and blending it with what's already here. It's not 100% what an immigrant knew in the past, and there are different enclaves in areas of the country. New England is still mostly english/irish/scottish. The mid west is German/Polish/Scandinavian. The Mississippi delta area is french in heritage. The west and south west is a blend of all of it with latin culture. It all blends together to make a unique American culture.

So can anybody actually describe the culture instead of giving a demographic lesson? Thanks.

So can anybody actually describe the culture instead of giving a demographic lesson? Thanks.

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

the human culture bro. need to come with something a lot more better than that.
To me, culture is the traditions, religious, societal, and celebratory, of certain groups of people, whether that group is race, nationality, geographical location, etc.

The culture of the United States is one of a "melting pot" in which different cultures have contributed their own distinct "flavors" to American culture.

Equality. The American Declaration of Independence states that “all [people] are created equal,” and this belief is deeply embedded in our cultural values. Americans believe that all people are of equal standing, and are therefore uncomfortable with overt displays of respect such as being bowed to.

The culture of the United States of America is primarily of Western culture (European) origin and form, but is influenced by a multicultural ethos that includes African, Native American, Asian, Polynesian, and Latin American people and their cultures.
Yes but the haters here (liberals)are only interested in what WHITE people think or what they make up what whites think. per usual.

This is probably the dumbest topic or racist thread I have seen but that's what makes these people tick.

The culture of the United States is one of a "melting pot" in which different cultures have contributed their own distinct "flavors" to American culture.

Equality. The American Declaration of Independence states that “all [people] are created equal,” and this belief is deeply embedded in our cultural values. Americans believe that all people are of equal standing, and are therefore uncomfortable with overt displays of respect such as being bowed to.

The culture of the United States of America is primarily of Western culture (European) origin and form, but is influenced by a multicultural ethos that includes African, Native American, Asian, Polynesian, and Latin American people and their cultures.

you just described atleast half of western europe.
Originally Posted By: Riley01
Yes but the haters here (liberals)are only interested in what WHITE people think or what they make up what whites think. per usual.

This is probably the dumbest topic or racist thread I have seen but that's what makes these people tick.

Well, sorta.

I have rarely seen Native American, Asian, Polynesian, and Latin American people cry on here, mostly just Black people and self hating liberal Whites.

you just described atleast half of western europe.

That is because it is who we are, with a sprinkling of other cultures.

What are your thoughts on things like Sharia courts and other willful attempts to not just not assimilate but to change or side step our culture?

I don't really believe that's "a thing" so. No court trumps federal and state laws. I think this entire sharia court and sharia law is more something created as a scare tactic and propaganda than anything else.

What do you think it is? Do you even think such a thing exists?
101 Characteristics of
Americans/American Culture

To help you compare and contrast what you observe of American
culture and your own, mark the similarities and differences between your culture and what you have read about in this book.

1. America is enormous: the third largest country in the world
with a population of more than 300 million people.
2. Americans come in all colors, have all types of religions, and
speak many languages from all over the world.
3. Americans are extremely independent, individualistic, and like
to be different from each other.
4. 66% of Americans are overweight; 37% of those are obese.
5. Americans believe in freedom of choice.
6. Americans need a lot of “elbow room”; they like personal
space around them.
7. Approximately 1% of Americans are homeless (3.5 million
people).
8. Americans talk easily to the homeless but use good judgment
and are careful with whom they talk.
9. Sadly, the streets of major cities are often dirty.
10. Many people, especially teenagers, wear strange clothes, and
many have tattoos and body piercings.
11. Americans follow the rule of law.
12. Littering (throwing garbage on the street), graffiti and tagging
(writing on the walls), and loitering (standing around and
doing nothing) are against the law and are punishable by a
fine or jail.
13. Discriminating against or making any insulting statement
about someone else’s religion or ethnicity is against the law
and could be punishable as a hate crime.
14. You must be over the age of 21 and you must have an
identification card with a photo to buy or drink alcohol.
15. In most states, it is illegal to buy cigarettes if you are under the
age of 18 and often you can only smoke in certain places.
16. Americans are extremely informal and call most people by
their first name or nickname.
17. Americans smile a lot and talk easily to strangers, sharing
personal stories.
18. Asking “How are you?” is simply a greeting and is not a
question about your health.
19. When Americans put their hands on their hips, they are
usually relaxed; when they fold their arms tightly across their
chests, they are angry or very serious (or cold).
20. Americans don’t push or stand too close to anyone in line.
They always wait their turn.
21. In a restaurant, the server is usually very friendly and helpful
and often will tell you his or her name.
22. When the service is good, tipping is expected to be 15–20% of
the bill.
23. Polite Americans eat with one hand while the other one is
under the table on their laps.
24. Usually, when friends meet at a restaurant they each pay their
share of the bill or split the bill in half. It’s called going Dutch.
25. If you have guests over to your house, turn off the television,
make sure your music isn’t too loud.
26. Americans have parties for many reasons. Sometimes they are
held for friends to get together and to meet new people. There
is rarely music or dancing at a typical American party.
27. When you meet Americans, be sure to look them in the eye,
smile, and shake hands.
28. Make small talk at the beginning of a conversation. After a few
questions, you will be asked, “What do you do?” (This means
what is your job?)
29. For weddings and showers, people register for gifts at a specific
place.
30. Americans open presents and cards in front of people.
31. Be sure you include a card with your gift. The person given the
gift will send you a thank you card.
32. At an American funeral, it is not normal to make loud sad
sounds. Americans try to keep strong emotions inside.
33. There is no traditional color or flower that symbolizes death.
Any and all flowers can be used at funerals.
34. We do not give money at a funeral. Sometimes, we send
flowers or plants to the ceremony.
35. After the funeral, there is usually a reception at the home of the
family. There is usually a lot of food and sometimes alcohol.
36. Never ask Americans a direct question about their religion,
age, money, salary, weight, or dress/suit size.
37. Do not make any racist or negative remarks about someone’s
religion, family background, or sexual preferences.
38. Men should not make any “sexist” remarks to or about
women—anything that would make women unequal to men.
39. Americans say that they don’t want to talk about politics, but
sometimes they do. It’s best to just listen first to see the other
person’s point of view before you let them know your
thoughts.
40. Never go to someone’s house without calling first to see if it is
convenient.
41. If you are invited to an American party, do not bring your
children, friends, or family members without first asking the
permission of the host.
42. Time is money. Never be late to classes, employment interviews,
appointments, parties (especially your wedding!), etc.
43. Some Americans hug a lot. It is okay for women and men to
hug even if they are not close friends.
44. It is normal for American women to have male friends who
are just friends (and vice versa).
45. It is not uncommon for American men and women to share an
apartment as roommates and not have a sexual relationship
with each other.
46. Most American women do not like possessive or jealous men.
47. Most American women do not feel comfortable having the
man pay for everything all of the time.
48. Be careful: Meet new friends in a public place many times
before you get into a car or give out your address.
49. American parents speak to their children as adults and teach
them how to be responsible for their actions.
50. American parents encourage their children to question and
always ask “Why?”
51. It is normal for American children to have very messy rooms.
52. It is common for young Americans to carry security blankets or
a stuffed toy.
53. Americans do not hit their children but discipline them by
taking things away.
54. American men try to share equally with their wives in
parenting and housework.
55. Americans hire “babysitters” to take care of their children
when they go out or are at work.
56. Americans love their pets, sometimes more than they love
people.
57. Homosexuality is protected by law in the United States.
58. The majority of older Americans prefer to live in retirement
homes for independent living rather than to live with their
grown children.
59. Americans admire youth and often work past age 65 and/or
go back to school.
60. Domestic violence is against the law. It is illegal to hit anyone:
a spouse, a parent, a child, and even a pet.
61. There are special seats in the front of buses reserved for
disabled people or senior citizens.
62. Be careful when you offer your seat on the bus to an older or a
disabled person. Most older people do not want to be thought
of as someone needing help.
63. Most buses require the exact amount of money and cannot
make change.
64. Because of pick-pockets, Americans carry credit cards and
checks, instead of a lot of cash.
65. Pedestrians always have the right of way.
66. Pedestrians must cross at a cross walk or unmarked
intersection. Crossing in the middle of the road is against
the law.
67. If it is not a life or death emergency, do not call 911.
68. Rent must be paid on time or there is usually a late fee.
69. If you pay your rent by cash, be sure to get a receipt.
70. Americans love to hunt for bargains and often buy used
things.
71. If the police put the lights on to tell you to stop your car,
move to the side of the road right away. Stay in your car.
72. Look directly at the officer. Smile and say, “What seems to be
the problem, Officer?”
73. When you drive, be sure to always have your license,
registration, and proof of insurance with you.
74. Never, for any reason, argue with or give money to a police
officer.
75. Always be on time to the job interview and to your job.
76. Dress appropriately for the job interview.
77. Smile, look the interviewer in the eye, and shake hands firmly
when you meet.
78. At the interview, be positive and describe your good qualities.
79. Sexual harassment is against the law.
80. Students are expected to ask questions.
81. Never use a cell phone in class.
82. It is normal for an American teacher to sit on the desk.
83. Always call your teacher by his or her name.
84. It is never too late to go back to school and you can almost
always find free adult education classes.
85. It is permitted to visit most college and university campuses to
see what they are like.
86. Children from the ages of 6 to 16 must attend school in the
United States.
87. Do your own work. Copying from a book, a friend, or the
Internet is called plagiarism.
88. Cheating is serious, and the punishment is strong.
89. Americans try to take care of a medical problem early.
90. When you have a serious medical problem, it’s a good idea to get a second opinion.
91. You can always ask the receptionist how much a doctor’s appointment will cost.
92. When you need to make an appointment with a doctor, list all
of your symptoms in English before you call.
93. Most states have free or low-cost clinics.
94. Never go to a hospital emergency room unless it is a matter of life or death.
95. Americans are really careful about not bothering anyone else
with their body odor or bad breath.
96. Most Americans take at least one bath or shower each day.
97. Most Americans put on a good underarm deodorant after bathing.
98. Throw all toilet paper and seat covers in the toilet to be flushed away.
99. If you can’t understand the sign on the restroom door, ask someone or check to see who goes in or comes out.
100. Americans often talk to each other or on the cell phone while using the bathroom.
101. There are very few “public” bathrooms available in U.S. cities and towns.

https://www.press.umich.edu/pdf/9780472033041-101AmerCult.pdf

Alexander, you've returned!
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

What do you think it is? Do you even think such a thing exists?

American culture? it certainly does exist. while i still believe its leans more good, i can certainly challenge the idea that we're a melting pot, especially in today's America.

for me, a melting pot requires not only a diverse background, but people of all races and backgrounds actually getting along. we certainly meet the first aspect, but the second can most certainly be debated.

i think our culture is based on competition, which is a direct result of our economic system. and that tends to bleed into all aspects of our society, from gang violence, gender violence, income equality and and work/life imbalance. it even bleeds into the divide of rural vs city life.

our culture values work over life. while so many other countries have a culture of working to live, we have the culture of living to work. our culture makes it so we view the value of human life based on corporate productivity, while other cultures value human life in the way of experience and personal relationships. we as americans are impatient, excessive to the point of gluttony, and not as open minded as one would think.

***now, before people think im all doom and gloom*** i have stated before that i think part of this is a result of us being a babies compared to other countries. we've been a country for a whooping 245 years or so. so we still have a long way to go as far as actually getting along with one another, and progress in that department has certainly been made.

but our overall culture is still stuck in the late 1800's, where we still act and view everything from an every man for himself perspective. our culture demands that we value monetary gain over actually caring for your fellow citizen.

***i know people are gonna go "ThAt'S nOt WhAt I bElIeve Or AcT"*** but im talking about the indivudal snowflakes, im talking our culture as a whole.

it doesnt matter what the demographics are in this country, we all end up getting sucked into this toxic competition culture, where its all about winning as an individual instead of winning as a group. thats the big difference between us and a lot of other countries.
yea i think the curiosity is normal. i think you even get this, its the lame ass stereotypes that people come up with that gets annoying for our wives.

man we was out and about on a date night, and some dude heard our convo and her talking. he noticed the accent, and then made some stupid ass comment about "i love the autobahn!"

lol, what the hell?
Well don't you love the autobahn? wink
That's an awesome answer Swish and I believe there is a ton of truth in it. I'm only going to respond to a couple points that I view as central to what you said but I did enjoy reading the whole thing..

Quote:
i think our culture is based on competition,

It absolutely is and it's not just me competing with somebody over a better job or promotion or building a better widget than the next guy... it's between husbands and wives, siblings, neighbors, towns states, even at a national level, etc.. at all levels of our society the notion that you have to be better than somebody else resides... I believe this is one of the prevailing attitudes that made the US the biggest and most prosperous nation in the world... If you look through your list of things, those things that have made us historically great, left unchecked, are also those things that are our biggest detriments.

Quote:
excessive to the point of gluttony,

We absolutely are a nation of extremes and excess.... we have some segment of the population so obsessed with personal care, fitness, hygiene, etc that they are really obnoxious to even talk to... then another side that cares so little that we have the worlds worst obesity problem, eat the crappiest of foods and chemicals, and smell so bad you can't stand to be near them...

Why have a car that will go 125 when you can have one that will go 140? Why have a gun that will blow a 2" hole in somebody when you can have one that will blow a 4" hole in somebody? Why? Why be happy with $7 million a year when I can make $15 million a year? Because I can, this is America.....

Quote:
our culture values work over life.

Read an article the other day on LinkedIn called "The Myth of the Sick Day"... those don't really exist in America any more unless you have a manual labor type job that REQUIRES you to be present to work... there is no such think in management.. no matter how sick you are, you still feel compelled to check e-mail and "get some work done" as long as you are physically able.. same is generally true of vacation as well. I get e-mails and voicemails all the time from other managers who are supposed to be on vacation.

The one word you didn't use in your explanation that I would like to add is.... arrogant. As a nation we are arrogant and most are proud of it..

Show me another country that is having more success in education than us? We don't have to do that, this is America, we do things different... ok but what you are doing isn't working... I don't care, we do things OUR way... (even if they don't work) It's like a sacrilege to admit that we could actually learn something from another country or improve on something by adopting a policy that works somewhere else..

I guess, like you, much of that sounds negative and I'm really not that negative about this country. On many levels it's a great country that is full of good people who will bend over backwards for each other. It definitely moved the whole world forward in areas of science, technology, manufacturing, pharmaceuticals.. we have contributed tremendously to the world.. but the cost has been high.. and a lot of the struggles we are currently facing are the result of those accomplishments..
Quote:
man we was out and about on a date night, and some dude heard our convo and her talking. he noticed the accent, and then made some stupid ass comment about "i love the autobahn!"

lol, what the hell?

I believe the young'uns today call that flexing. He wanted you to know that he's a cultured dude who has been to Germany without just coming out and saying that..
j/c

For those that have been on cruises or vacationed abroad, why is it we're more fascinated by their culture from years past? Why are we always shown HISTORIC landmarks or events of historic culture?

When it comes to American Historic culture, we bad mouth it, are ashamed of it or try to erase it.
IMHO, we don't want to admit our own failings. We want a glorified "clean" version of our past in which we weren't the bad guy.

Perhaps it relates to Swish's comment about us being a pretty young country.

Sure we can go to Italy and look, in awe, at the arena where men dueled to the death, where people were persecuted, where Christians were fed to lions.. and see it as ancient history.... but we would prefer that part of our own history disappear to the annals of the textbooks.
It's because we are babies. Not as a people, but as a nation.

Nations abroad are sometimes thousands of years old. We are only less than 250 years old. So on a global scales, we have very little to speak about in terms of any long term history.

Plus I think if one actually put things into context, it's easy to see why the world may view us as they do. We have people fighting over whether to continue to honor those who lost a war fighting FOR slavery. Germany isn't perpetuating statues of Hitler. So if you didn't live in this country it would seem backwards. Because it is.

We conquered a nation from the Pacific to the Atlantic. In order to do this, we had to slay a lot of people. Not only that, we had to take advantage of them and deceive them. We had to break a lot of treaties and promises we made to them.

Now conversely we did wipe out slavery and change course from that. We did pass civil rights and make America better for all. We did save the world from Hitler even though we refuse to stomp out his ideology from our nation.

So we have good an bad.

But if you stop to think about it, the terrible things we did to conquer this nation and make it our own, from a historical standpoint didn't happen all that long ago. So it's going to take a long time for history to view us in a more favorable light than a negative one.
enjoyable reads- all of you.
I love accents. British, Australian, Hispanic, southern, New England, etc.

A guy in our town is from England. Used to be a lower level pro soccer player over there. I hate soccer, but our boys and girls high school teams this year were very good.

I didn't attend the tournament games, but the school aired most of them on facebook live, and I watched, while I also listened to the radio. That guy, and another guy, were doing the live broadcast.

I couldn't get enough of him. The accent, but also the phrases he used were just awesome.

And yes, just like your wife has to deal with the accent, he does as well.
Excellent read Swish.

@daytnabacker, I think part of that is the history behind it. Travel throughout America and at best you might marvel at a landmark from the 1800's, possibly something from the 1700's. We tend to tear down old stuff to put up new, because it has no historical value.

Whereas when you go to Europe, you can see things that are thousands of years old. From a time when life was so extremely different than anything ever experienced in the US.

The Roman Coliseum was left vacant for long periods of time, turned into "Apartments", pilfered for materials to build other things for many years. It was just a derelict building for centuries, and if they had the machinery we have now, it probably would have been torn down to make way for something new.

Down here a house build before 1980 is considered old, a house built before 1940 is historic.
I can appreciate the replies, thanks,

Pit, can you tell me a nation that wasn't conquered and massive life was lost? I understand it's 1000's of years in the past but it's still the same.

You brought up Hitler, I had the chance to visit Dachau concentration camp in 1986, took the tour, of course I was sickened but it was still there.

The Queens Staircase in Nassau, constructed by slaves. It's the 1st place taxi driver's want to take tourists.

Visit Battery Row in Charleston, S. Carolina, tourist attraction and they also have the port memorialized where slaves were sold. Hell, the whole damn city is Confederate.

Again, I understand we're babies compared to other Nations but we were built just like every other Nation.

My point to my question was to answer Swish question about American culture, which I thought was a great question. My conclusion probably won't be accepted by most but, I think American Culture became one of which we are LIARS, HATERS and overall a fricken confused society. We make EXCUSES for everything, take responsibilty for NONTHING..JMHO
I guess my point was in context to time. Our history is very short compared to many nations. So while many of our atrocities didn't happen that long ago from a historical perspective, many other nations are well in their past. So over time a nation can outweigh the bad things they did by doing good things.

And yes, while many times nations keep remembrance of the victims, I can't think of many who hold those who created and perpetuated those victims in a place of reverence and honor. Those are two completely different things.
Quote:
many of our atrocities didn't happen that long ago from a historical perspective,

Good point. The atrocities of Germany were how long ago? I remember sitting in many pubs in W. Germany looking at 60-70 yr old guys staring at me with hate in their eyes and I'm wondering if they were still Nazis at heart.

Quote:
while many times nations keep remembrance of the victims, I can't think of many who hold those who created and perpetuated those victims in a place of reverence and honor.

True, however, many of these places stand to remind us of what happened so we don't repeat it. It's why I'm against taken down statues. We have folks here that fly that confederate flag with great pride. I can show you a house with a roof that was shingled like the confederate flag. It's cool with me I just remind them who won. If you never hiked up the Queens Staircase you should. They are very PROUD of what 600 slaves built.

Back to Swish's question, I voiced my opinion but to expound, it's tough to answer because we refuse to accept who we are.
Statues are a celebration of people. An honor. Let's not try and twist it into something it's not.
Quote:
Statues are a celebration of people. An honor. Let's not try and twist it into something it's not.

That's your definition or reason statues are erected, that's fine but it's not mine.

I'm a damn Yankee living in the south. Statues of Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson and even Jefferson Davis memorialize what was the culture here at one time. I'm fine with that. Some of us will look at a statue of a person we never heard of before and peak our interest to learn but whatever. Hell might as well erase them from our history books too superconfused

I forgot we already are, it's the NEW American culture, erase our ugly past!

Yeah, getting rid of statues will erase the history of the civil war. Do you even hear yourself?

rofl
Just like the Nazi's burning books meant nothing, right?

Just like that crazy church burning Korans meant nothing, right?

Do you even hear yourself?
Maybe you should start erecting statues of Hitler in American town squares so we don't forget about WW2.
Maybe you should think before you spew.
Maybe you should realize that these monuments are a reminder to many blacks in the south of the pain endured before, during and for generations after the civil war of the treatment they received and quit demanding white people continue rubbing it in their face.

But you refuse to.
Maybe he aint up to speed with his anti semetic party using Facist techniques, like trying to use the GOVT to arrest their political opponents .
NAILED IT!!!
Originally Posted By: Riley01
Maybe he aint up to speed with his anti semetic party using Facist techniques, like trying to use the GOVT to arrest their political opponents .

I'm not a Democrat but you must have missed that Giuliani cancelled his trip to the Ukraine and you are right that now Trump thinks it's just fine for him to tell the Justice Department to investigate his political opponents.
I stopped reading after the "I not a democrat " remark.
I understand. You think everyone has to be enemies and only be on one side or the other.

Hey, even most sane Republicans don't like trump. It's not just a thing with democrats.
Yeah, getting rid of statues will erase the history of the civil war. Do you even hear yourself?

rofl

Well it would certainly get rid of the 'War of northern aggression'
© DawgTalkers.net