Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I agree Clem and props to you thumbsup

I grew up in rural Medina County. There were no blacks at my school, 100% white. My dad had one black friend that was married to a white woman 20 yrs his jr. I remember a convo we had about that after I rode on the back of his harley thru the town of Nova. I experienced my 1st racist confrontation. I was 13. Earl told my dad about it... Earl was a huge man and I asked my dad why he didn't just kick there butt. He said Earl is the better man, anyways my dad said something to me that stuck. He said you pick your friends by what you have in common not by color of their skin. Pretty much why 80% of my friends in the army were black because of sports.

Anyways, your point is 100% correct, you have to intermingle with EVERYBODY to appreciate our different cultures.

On a side note, St. Croix has the most interesting and enjoyable music festivals I've seen. Again, props to you!

Legend
Legend
Yea you definitely seem like a dude I would’ve got into all kinds of trouble with in Germany lolol

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
World travel is one of the most enriching experiences we can have. More Americans should step of this continent. I think it’d change a lot about how we think of ourselves. Maybe dissolve some of the American exceptionalism that’s so prevalent in our society. Help to show that we’re all on this rock together just trying to get by. Skin color becomes irrelevant. Language barriers aren’t seen as barriers to connecting as humans.
I’ve traveled a fair amount. I speak no language except English. Bridging language barriers has always been one of the challenges, but also one of the joys of travel. One of the funnest conversations I’ve had in my life was sitting in a coffee shop in Amsterdam with a table of Sicilian guys that spoke no, to very broken English. I know some, VERY little, Spanish... which in its roots is Latin enough to bridge some to some Italian... anyway, I had a little cannabis left over and couldn’t take it with me. (Last day of vacation) So I offered it to them. As I was offering it to them I already had lit and was smoking a joint I had rolled. One of the guys in the group noted I didn’t roll a filter into it. (As Europeans typically do) After many attempts he was able to express that to me and in his broken English and hand gesture way ask “why no filter?”... I flexed like Arnold, jokingly looking tough, and said “I’m American”. They burst into laughter and invited me to their table. We sat and smoked and talked and laughed for an hour or better. They were in their 20’s. Most were unmarried. All of them worked together at what I gathered was a water park. I believe they were lifeguards. Summer was over they took a guys only trip to Amsterdam. All of us were in a foreign country. None of us spoke Dutch. We crossed paths randomly and ended up sitting together. None of us knew the other’s language. Yet, we had a very human connection. I often wonder if they tell the same story from their perspective all these years later.

It’s a small world. Traveling it makes us face that and open our minds.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
and i disagree with you.

Thats just fine with me bro. Just remember when you talk about people based on your military experience I listen since I am not educated about that. When I talk about the public folks in Ohio I am very, very, well educated and your not. So can we agree that you should have the same respect?

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
That makes absolutely no sense. I live here in Ohio just like you do.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't have a problem hearing a foreign language being spoke in public. I do however have a problem with people who move to America with long range plans to live here not learning English in an attempt to properly assimilate into American culture.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
That makes absolutely no sense. I live here in Ohio just like you do.

But I spent well over 30 years dealing and talking with folks of all races, ages, colors, religions and opinions 70 to 80 hours a week for years. Have you done the same???

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I don't have a problem hearing a foreign language being spoke in public. I do however have a problem with people who move to America with long range plans to live here not learning English in an attempt to properly assimilate into American culture.

What are your thoughts on things like Sharia courts and other willful attempts to not just not assimilate but to change or side step our culture?

Legend
Legend
Lmfao boy stop. Thats such a reach it’s not even cute. You know how many people can claim the same thing?

Just cause you’re old doesn’t mean you’re wise.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Hold on stop right there. Did I EVER say I way wise?????? Did I ever accuse you of saying you were wise because you were in the military?

I respected you *and I still do* because of your experience in the military and over seas. Now your disrespecting me because I have experience that you don't have. I'm sorry but your attitude sucks, your lack of respect for somebody who has respect for you sucks. What in the hell is your problem bud???

Legend
Legend
I don’t have experience with interacting with a ton of different people from different backgrounds?

Do you understand how clueless you’re coming off right now?

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
I understand how clueless your coming off as right now, and how disrespectful. I have delt with way over 200,000 different people just in my work alone, over the last 30 years and you ignore that, because it doesn't suit your needs.

Legend
Legend
Way over 200K?

That fact that you’re trying to even put a number on it makes it all the more laughable.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
The FACT that your ignoring me makes me wonder why I have spent so much time trying to connect with you. I thought you were a good guy. I thought most people treated you wrong on this message board. I thought you could teach me some things I didn't know (which you have) I thought we could become friends and teach other some things about life. It looks like I was wrong and you don't want to learn, or teach. You just want to spread hate tsktsk

Legend
Legend
I'm not as old as GM and I've dealt with 384,215 different people. Of which, 16,004 spoke a different language.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
If you would stop smoking crack that number would drop to 8,000 wink

Legend
Legend
Well that’s your problem.

I’m not gonna suck up to you when you’re wrong. You conversing with a ton of people means what? That’s somehow suppose to override my experiencing interacting with a ton of people.

That not a skill set. Steve Brannon talks to a lot of people. And since he’s old, by your logic I’m suppose to concede my experience to his because.....?

What? You’re older than me?

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I’m not gonna suck up to you when you’re wrong

I never once asked you to do that.

Quote:
You conversing with a ton of people means what? That’s somehow suppose to override my experiencing interacting with a ton of people.

Yet you once told me to shut up because I was never in the military and didn't have your experience. I agreed that I was never in the military and didn't have the same life experience as you. Now you want to dismiss my life experience. That is being two faced and disrespectful. You Sir are becoming a waste of my time.

I wanted to really get to know you. To learn from each other, to teach other about our differences. However you don't seem to care. You just want to spread hate and cry about our differences instead of teaching me anything. Good luck in life. I wish you nothing but the best, but I refuse to spend any more of my time trying to connect with you and learn from you. Life is to short to waste it on your hate.

Legend
Legend
Ok bye thumbsup

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Goodbye

Just know my door is always going to be open if you want to connect.

Legend
Legend
I’m cool but thanks

- Theodore Roosevelt
U
Rookie
Rookie
U
"Outside of political modifiers, the survey found that 34 percent of all white respondents said they would be bothered hearing people speak in a foreign language in public. Twenty-four percent of black respondents, and the same percentage of Asians surveyed, also said they would be bothered; 14 percent of Hispanics said the same."

One thing that bothers me about this post is that "Whites" are only mentioned in the title as implying that we are the problem and the only problem. but the above paragraph is mentioned in the article. Why not just group everybody as here in America. Due note this , I sure this study was done in this country. Speak English in lets say Japan or even Russia and I'm sure you'll get the same reaction or worse. All foreign countries have their own language and react in the same way. no since getting racist about it. By the way I don't mind any diff. language being spoke around me as long as they aren't bad mouthing me. I'm used to it as I worked around Germans, japanese, and mexicans all speaking their languages and all i wonder is "What did they just say?" As I only speak english.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Sometimes Swish gets really excited in these threads.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
GM, you have been on this board way too long to not get his MO. Responding to him expecting more than an arrogant, know it all, better than you response was your bad, not his.

Legend
Legend
I probably hear at least one foriegn language every day.... typically Spanish but there are people from all over the world living in my area...ain't that big of a deal....

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
That's all I was trying to say.

Thanks, My Dawg.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Portland, there is nothing wrong with American exceptionalism. Why do you think so many people try to come here? They come here so they and their kids can become Americans, and they can get some of that exceptionalism for themselves. I've never met a person that isn't proud of the country they came from, and unless they plan on going back home to stay, they're proud to become American. Should those that come here learn English, learn our culture, and learn how to assimilate? Yes, if they want to get ahead in life. I would do it if I moved to their country, as it seems a wise thing to do.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
So what exactly is American culture?

I’ve yet to see anybody on this board properly define it.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

That's easy. American culture is made up from taking the best of the country you left and blending it with what's already here. It's not 100% what an immigrant knew in the past, and there are different enclaves in areas of the country. New England is still mostly english/irish/scottish. The mid west is German/Polish/Scandinavian. The Mississippi delta area is french in heritage. The west and south west is a blend of all of it with latin culture. It all blends together to make a unique American culture.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I don't chime in this section anymore and I very rarely even read the various threads. However, this one caught my eye as I have lived abroad and traveled a lot and I am married to an English woman who obviously speaks English, but has an accent, which people immediately comment on when she opens her mouth (to be fair, when I lived in England I got the same thing).

Hell, my wife has gotten crazy looks for speaking German.

Dude, my wife has gotten crazy looks for having a British accent! Americans still can't understand her when she asks for a "glass of water" in a restaurant! She literally has to put on a lame, over the top "valley girl" style American accent just so they can understand her. Oh, and most Americans also immediately think she is Australian, which irritates her to no end.

All of that said, she is also aware that Americans have a love affair with British accents, which can also be annoying as the conversation immediately turns to her accent rather than the point of why they were talking in the first place. However, unlike other languages/accents the American love affair w/the British accent also brings its own privilege, which is an entirely different conversation.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell
Portland, there is nothing wrong with American exceptionalism. Why do you think so many people try to come here? They come here so they and their kids can become Americans, and they can get some of that exceptionalism for themselves. I've never met a person that isn't proud of the country they came from, and unless they plan on going back home to stay, they're proud to become American. Should those that come here learn English, learn our culture, and learn how to assimilate? Yes, if they want to get ahead in life. I would do it if I moved to their country, as it seems a wise thing to do.

The issue I have with American exceptionalism is when it’s used as a bludgeoning tool by someone that’s never set foot out of their county... let alone their country. “If you don’t like it here then just leave! Murika’s the freest country on earth!!!...blah blah blah”
I’ve traveled enough to know there are places I could live equally as happily as here. Equally as ‘free’. Whatever that is in today’s society. I also know I’ve felt safer in other countries. The food quality is better in other countries. Healthcare can’t bankrupt you in other countries. I could go on.
I do believe that those that choose to come here should do their best to learn English and generally assimilate to American life. As has been stated earlier in the thread, the older generations will struggle. They’re the bridge generation. Helping the family remember their past. Where they’re from. A holder of some of those traditions. I’m fine with that.

I’d try to learn the language if/when I leave this country for another. That said I don’t have a natural predication for learning languages. I struggled in high school Spanish. One of a very few subjects with which I struggled.
I have an expat buddy, in his mid 50’s, living in Thailand. He teaches English as a second language. It’s an immersive program. Meaning no Thai is spoken. He’s been there teaching for around 7 years. In that time he’s only learned a handful Thai words and phrases. It’s a tough language to pick up. He hangs out socially primarily within a group of other expats from the US, UK, and Australia.
Is he wrong for not assimilating into Thai culture? Learning the Thai language? He lives in a city of 12 million, does it matter?

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell

That's easy. American culture is made up from taking the best of the country you left and blending it with what's already here. It's not 100% what an immigrant knew in the past, and there are different enclaves in areas of the country. New England is still mostly english/irish/scottish. The mid west is German/Polish/Scandinavian. The Mississippi delta area is french in heritage. The west and south west is a blend of all of it with latin culture. It all blends together to make a unique American culture.

So can anybody actually describe the culture instead of giving a demographic lesson? Thanks.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend

So can anybody actually describe the culture instead of giving a demographic lesson? Thanks.

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

the human culture bro. need to come with something a lot more better than that.

- Theodore Roosevelt
F
Legend
Legend
F
To me, culture is the traditions, religious, societal, and celebratory, of certain groups of people, whether that group is race, nationality, geographical location, etc.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend

The culture of the United States is one of a "melting pot" in which different cultures have contributed their own distinct "flavors" to American culture.

Equality. The American Declaration of Independence states that “all [people] are created equal,” and this belief is deeply embedded in our cultural values. Americans believe that all people are of equal standing, and are therefore uncomfortable with overt displays of respect such as being bowed to.

The culture of the United States of America is primarily of Western culture (European) origin and form, but is influenced by a multicultural ethos that includes African, Native American, Asian, Polynesian, and Latin American people and their cultures.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Yes but the haters here (liberals)are only interested in what WHITE people think or what they make up what whites think. per usual.

This is probably the dumbest topic or racist thread I have seen but that's what makes these people tick.

Legend
Legend

The culture of the United States is one of a "melting pot" in which different cultures have contributed their own distinct "flavors" to American culture.

Equality. The American Declaration of Independence states that “all [people] are created equal,” and this belief is deeply embedded in our cultural values. Americans believe that all people are of equal standing, and are therefore uncomfortable with overt displays of respect such as being bowed to.

The culture of the United States of America is primarily of Western culture (European) origin and form, but is influenced by a multicultural ethos that includes African, Native American, Asian, Polynesian, and Latin American people and their cultures.

you just described atleast half of western europe.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Riley01
Yes but the haters here (liberals)are only interested in what WHITE people think or what they make up what whites think. per usual.

This is probably the dumbest topic or racist thread I have seen but that's what makes these people tick.

Well, sorta.

I have rarely seen Native American, Asian, Polynesian, and Latin American people cry on here, mostly just Black people and self hating liberal Whites.

Legend
Legend

you just described atleast half of western europe.

That is because it is who we are, with a sprinkling of other cultures.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus About half of white Republicans, 18 percent of white Democrats would be bothered to hear foreign language in public

Link Copied to Clipboard