Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
The shooting rampage is the latest in a series of mass shootings that has made 2023 one of the most violent on record. The Gun Violence Archive says more than 365 mass shootings have taken place so far this year. Gun violence has taken the lives of more than 22,000 Americans in 2023, according to the group.

But But But, Florida is where "Woke" goes to die! And come to Ohio where anyone can own a gun and carry it without permits. Or let's go to Texas, the patron state of guns.

I guess it's ok to stop women from getting the healthcare they need, but not ok to stop gun violence.

Geez, Republicans have their priorities all fouled up.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
Living in a country that allows any lunatic to have an AR. What could possibly go wrong?

I don't get it. Never have.

I've been on the record here for more than 20 years- I'm not an anti-gun person. I'm a gun owner. I'm prepared to protect My Wife and my home, and I appreciate that we have a 2A that allows me to legally do so.

That said, I've never understood the need for me or my neighbor to own a weapon with the same/similar level of battlefield-level lethality that is afforded highly-trained members of the US Military. I've driven the streets with My Neighbor. I've watched My Neighbor in the parking lot at my local Kroger. I've seen My Neighbor in restaurants, local watering holes and Mud Hens games.

In no way is he qualified to own an AR15-type device.

I'm not qualified, and I don't need the responsibility that comes with ownership of such a device. It's something I would never need, so it's something I would never want.

Here's a personal note regarding this thread:

From time to time, I get called to play at large-scale outdoor concerts. In my downtown, we have a spot on the river called Promenade Park. It can easily accommodate 2-3K+ people. Played the Prom dozens of times. I've been at this job for more than 40 years, and my last visit to PromPark was the very first time I looked at the venue in terms of ingress/egress/exit strategy. My assessment:

"I'm a sitting duck."

I never looked at my job through this lens until recently.
Until now, I never had to.

To paraphrase Biggy: "His AK spray from far away..."

Kevlar Klem.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
B
Legend
Legend
B
J/C

Societal breakdown.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Societal breakdown simply means that many have simply given up trying to change and want it they way it’s always been for them.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
B
Legend
Legend
B
Societal breakdown simply means that many have simply given up trying to change and want it they way it’s always been for them.

Maybe in your opinion. Not mine.

Pffft

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Clem it’s the mentality. Like the guy that owns a Ferrari to extend his …umm you know. same thing, isn’t qualified to drive it. And will eventually hurt, or kill somebody with it. Gotta have the biggest, fastest, powerful thing that can do the most damage to themselves and others. You know the Bravado, Alpha male, Egotistical, self centered and easily triggered types.

– Jackie Robinson
B
Legend
Legend
B
Clem it’s the mentality. Like the guy that owns a Ferrari to extend his …umm you know. same thing, isn’t qualified to drive it. And will eventually hurt, or kill somebody with it. Gotta have the biggest, fastest, powerful thing that can do the most damage to themselves and others. You know the Bravado, Alpha male, Egotistical, self centered and easily triggered types.

That is your opinion. I don't see it that way.

As society continues to break down, all the more reason for people to be able to defend their's from criminals and a government who isn't able or willing to do so.

For those who do this for bravado, I have no problem with the police opening up and shooting them 50 times. You and other blame guns rather than sick, perverted minds.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
You and other blame guns rather than sick, perverted minds.

Not true. And I was talking about the mentality and blaming sick perverted minds. You know, how any ole lunatic in the USA can purchase a AR? But you do you…keep up the enthusiasm that we are blaming the guns not the lunatics. And you go …keep supporting the rights for any ole lunatic to own a AR and a boat load of ammo to use anyway they wish in our broken down society. Pffft.

– Jackie Robinson
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
I've been on the record here for more than 20 years- I'm not an anti-gun person. I'm a gun owner. I'm prepared to protect My Wife and my home, and I appreciate that we have a 2A that allows me to legally do so.

That said, I've never understood the need for me or my neighbor to own a weapon with the same/similar level of battlefield-level lethality that is afforded highly-trained members of the US Military.

That just means you're not extreme enough. Murica!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Actually the murder rate in America was much higher in the 1980's and 1990's than it is now. Either someone has you convinced otherwise or you have convinced yourself.

U.S. Murder/Homicide Rate 1990-2023

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/USA/united-states/murder-homicide-rate

If in fact your trying to equate the murder rate to societal breakdown things have gotten better. I think maybe you should broaden your news sources.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
3 dead, 6 wounded after a retired police officer opens fire at a Southern California biker bar

TRABUCO CANYON, Calif. (AP) — The cover band at the historic Southern California biker bar had just launched into their next song when the gunman walked in and opened fire.

Some froze, others ran as the bullets flew inside busy Cook’s Corner, which was holding its weekly spaghetti night on Wednesday.

The gunman then went outside and kept firing, witnesses said. Within minutes, deputies arrived and killed the shooter, a retired police officer, Orange County Sheriff’s Sgt. Frank Gonzalez said.

Three people were pronounced dead at the scene; six others were shot and taken to a hospital, officials said Thursday.

M Street band keyboardist Mark Johnson hid behind a speaker with his wife, singer Debbie Johnson.

“Once he started shooting, it was very indiscriminate,” Mark Johnson said. “He just is firing indiscriminately.”

The Orange County District Attorney’s Office identified the gunman as John Snowling, 59, a former Ventura police officer. His wife, who had filed for divorce, was injured in the shooting.

Betty Fruichantie told NBC4 Los Angeles that she was with the shooter’s estranged wife, Marie Snowling, who fell to the floor. With bullets flying past her face, Fruichantie ran and hid in a restroom with others.

“And when we came out, people were on the floor and people were like over people trying to help them, just holding their wounds,” she said.

Marie Snowling’s father, William Mosby, of Lake Forest, told The Orange County Register that his daughter was taken to a hospital after being shot. Mosby said he initially heard his daughter had been killed.

“I’m extremely relieved,” Mosby said. “What I heard was the worst.”

Providence Mission Hospital, in nearby Mission Viejo, said it treated six people who were shot. A woman shot in the jaw and a man shot in the chest were in critical condition, the hospital said in a statement. The four others were in stable condition.

Marie Snowling filed for divorce from John Snowling in December 2022, Ventura County online court records show. The case was scheduled for a mandatory settlement conference in November.

Mosby told the newspaper that John Snowling could not “deal with the divorce.”

Phone and email messages seeking comment were left for John Snowling’s attorney, Tristan Tegroen. Marie Snowling’s attorney, Kenneth Henjum, said early Thursday it was too soon to comment.

John Snowling had worked for the police department in Ventura, a coastal city north of Los Angeles, from 1986 to 2014. The Ventura County Star newspaper first reported that he was an officer there.

“Our hearts weigh heavy with the distressing incident at Cook’s Corner,” Ventura Police Chief Darin Schindler said in a statement. “Our deepest condolences are with the families of the victims, the survivors, and the Orange County deputies who swiftly responded to the scene. This incident deeply affects us all.”

Cook’s Corner has long been a place for motorcyclists to gather for live music, open-mic nights or just a cold beer after a long ride. It calls itself the oldest motorcycle bar in Southern California and sits at the intersection of two picturesque highways in an area of scrubby hills and bike paths. It attracts everyone from motorcycle riders on choppers to avid cyclists in Lycra and families with young children.

Hours before the shooting, rows of motorcycles and bikes framed the gravel entrance where plaques describe the bar’s history.

“We’ve experienced major earthquakes, forest fires, floods, recessions and other disasters. We’ve gotten through all of them and came out stronger. Ride down and check us out,” the bar says on its website.

M Street, which covers popular songs from the 1960s to today, had performed at Cook’s Corner before in the bar’s sprawling outdoor area, but this was the band’s first time on the stage inside, Mark and Debbie Johnson said.

The band finished up one song, and people who had been dancing sat down, holding egg shakers the band had given out, Debbie Johnson said.

Two people in the crowd were celebrating birthdays, and the band had wished them happy birthday and promised a special song later in the evening, she said.

It never came.

“We launched into our next song and somewhere in the middle of it this man just walks in, doesn’t say a word, and just starts shooting,” she said.

Some bargoers fled and ran up a nearby hill.

Mark Johnson said that once the gunman went outside, he and others shut the doors. About 30 people hunkered down inside. He said he called 911 while watching the shooter go around the outside of the building.

“We opened the back gate to see where he was and he immediately started shooting,” he said.

He and his wife said two of their fellow bandmembers were wounded by gunfire and were expected to survive. The fifth member was not injured, they said.

“I have never been so happy to see dozens of police cars heading my way,” Debbie Johnson said. “We were fish in a very small barrel.”

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politi...-CJ39ncXAxpeneFwX-RziDaKvZF2oOeF46PCcBEA

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
You and other blame guns rather than sick, perverted minds.

What the hell Peen? Most of us have been saying it for years.. We need to keep the guns out of the hands of those SICK., PERVERTED MINDS, but all we ever hear is "silence" over controlling who should get those guns from gun owners, the gun lobby and the NRA.,

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Emotional responses have been programmed into some of them. They can't help themselves. Let's face it, truth be told they keep blaming it on mental health. But where is the legislation to fund and help rebuild the mental health programs in our nation? Maybe one of them can answer that.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
4 dead, including gunman, in ‘racially motivated’ shooting in Jacksonville: sheriff

Three people were killed in a “racially motivated” shooting at a Dollar General store in Jacksonville, Fla., on Saturday, the local sheriff said.

The shooter took his own life after killing the three victims, all of whom were Black, Jacksonville Sheriff T.K. Waters said at a press conference Saturday evening. The gunman, who the sheriff described as a white man in his early 20s, had authored several manifestos ahead of the shooting.

“Portions of these manifestos detailed the shooter’s disgusting ideology of hate,” Waters said. “Plainly put, this shooting was racially motivated, and he hated Black people.”

The shooter is believed to have resided in nearby Clay County with his parents, the sheriff said. After heading to Jacksonville, he texted his father and told him to check his computer, leading his family members to call the Clay County sheriff’s office a short while later.

However, the gunman had already begun shooting by the time of the call, Waters said. He was outfitted with a tactical vest and armed with a Glock handgun and an AR-15-style rifle, which had swastikas drawn on it.

“This is a dark day in Jacksonville’s history,” Waters added. “Any loss of life is tragic, but the hate that motivated the shooter’s killing spree adds an additional layer of heartbreak. There’s no place for hate in our community, and this is not Jacksonville. As a member of this Jacksonville community, I am sickened by this cowardly shooter’s personal ideology of hate.”

Sherri Onks, the special agent in charge for FBI Jacksonville, said at the press conference that authorities have opened a federal civil rights investigation into the incident and will pursue it as a hate crime.

Jacksonville Mayor Donna Deegan said she is “heartbroken” by the shooting, noting that it occurred on the five-year anniversary of the Jacksonville Landing shooting that left two people dead and 10 injured. The shooter indicated in his manifesto that he was aware of the date, she added.

“This is a community that has suffered again and again,” Deegan said at Saturday’s press conference. “So many times, this is where we end up … It’s just something that should not and must not continue to happen in our community. It’s too often the same folks.”

“We must do everything that we can to dissuade this type of hate,” she added. “I can’t even begin to tell you how frustrating this is for all of us because we’ve seen it too much. We’ve seen it too much.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...jRoS1y_EN5xwPbYa9qQM-lB7NNtAaHFMHH2nvEF8

Republicans really need to hurry up and get this whole mental health thing under control.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
How much of this falls on DeSantis and his racial antics and Anti Woke crap?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
RIP the victims

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
If America was truly the "Shining city on a hill" She purports herself to be, none of her citizens would/should ever be in danger of something like this.

Our country's self-image is the ideal upon which she is based. That self-image is the lie she tells herself, daily- while Our Realty reality still falls far short of that ideal.
There is still a ton of work to be done.

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility..."

We ain't 'there' yet.
Not even close.

*EDIT* The ideal isn't a mirage. It isn't a lie. It's a goal. It's a horizon line. A lodestone for Human growth.

Last edited by Clemdawg; 08/27/23 10:42 PM.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Anolt "AJ" Laguerre Jr., Jerrald De'Shaun Gallon, and Angela Michelle Carr ~ R.I.P.

Ryan Palmeter ~ Burn in Hell.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Damanshot

All of it... it's almost as if he pulled the trigger himself.

How in the world do you even come up with this crap??

1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
More likely another store of a young person that did not have a direction in life, went down the internet rabbit hole and three innocent people are no longer with us.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Swish
RIP the victims

Yes Indeed

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FATE

I don't actually disagree with you. One man alone didn't cause or create this. This is as old as time. Sadly just when one would hope we have come to a point in time where this should no longer exist, still it does. You can trace it back to Egypt. You can trace it back to slavery. And that goes back much further than America. You can trace it back to Nazi Germany which is older than any of us are. It's where one race thinks another race is their enemy or people whose religion, belief or lifestyle somehow makes them less worthy of living or being as good as they are. That their lives don't matter and even as we have seen in the past as well as this incident, they don't even deserve to live. In some cases we have seen where one race even believes someone who believes differently than themselves no longer deserves to live as a race.

And while we don't see any politicians who outwardly advocate such things, we do see where they advocate we refuse to do anything to make it any better. There's no doubt that I agree there are mass shooters that have a mental illness, things like this one center around hate. Hate for people different than themself. If one actually believes that is a mental illness, then the vast majority of the nation of Germany during WW2 had a mental illness. Much of the south after the civil war had a mental illness. Hate is ingrained in people. Either taught or out of ignorance.

Teaching children that slaves actually gained something form slavery serves to minimize the atrocity of slavery. Refusing to teach children to be accepting of gay and trans people only serves to not educate them on the principal that everyone, even those different than yourself deserves respect and the same rights we all have.

It's that very lack of understanding which instills the fears and prejudices we see every day of those who are different than ourselves. That's how it was when I was growing up and had children been educated about such things back then I believe there would be much less of that going on now. But rather than promote that now we have people blocking it and preventing it.

We live in a world where some in our society think it's perfectly fine to force a 12 year old to give birth and in the next breath claim they're not mature enough to check out a book at a library to help them better understand gay or trans people. That's pretty messed up.

No, blocking children from learning about and being taught that they need to accept others from a young age could help, but it's being blocked in states all around this country. And as you seem to be saying, that didn't create any of this. But it will help insure that things like this don't get any better.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

I don't actually disagree with you. One man alone didn't cause or create this. This is as old as time. Sadly just when one would hope we have come to a point in time where this should no longer exist, still it does. You can trace it back to Egypt. You can trace it back to slavery. And that goes back much further than America. You can trace it back to Nazi Germany which is older than any of us are. It's where one race thinks another race is their enemy or people whose religion, belief or lifestyle somehow makes them less worthy of living or being as good as they are. That their lives don't matter and even as we have seen in the past as well as this incident, they don't even deserve to live. In some cases we have seen where one race even believes someone who believes differently than themselves no longer deserves to live as a race.

And while we don't see any politicians who outwardly advocate such things, we do see where they advocate we refuse to do anything to make it any better. There's no doubt that I agree there are mass shooters that have a mental illness, things like this one center around hate. Hate for people different than themself. If one actually believes that is a mental illness, then the vast majority of the nation of Germany during WW2 had a mental illness. Much of the south after the civil war had a mental illness. Hate is ingrained in people. Either taught or out of ignorance.

Teaching children that slaves actually gained something form slavery serves to minimize the atrocity of slavery. Refusing to teach children to be accepting of gay and trans people only serves to not educate them on the principal that everyone, even those different than yourself deserves respect and the same rights we all have.

It's that very lack of understanding which instills the fears and prejudices we see every day of those who are different than ourselves. That's how it was when I was growing up and had children been educated about such things back then I believe there would be much less of that going on now. But rather than promote that now we have people blocking it and preventing it.

We live in a world where some in our society think it's perfectly fine to force a 12 year old to give birth and in the next breath claim they're not mature enough to check out a book at a library to help them better understand gay or trans people. That's pretty messed up.

No, blocking children from learning about and being taught that they need to accept others from a young age could help, but it's being blocked in states all around this country. And as you seem to be saying, that didn't create any of this. But it will help insure that things like this don't get any better.

Sorry, but you are wrong. Critical Race Theory will cause more racism issues. Laws that divide just pit differences in people against each other. A color blind society that sees each other's similarities and not their differences is what this country needs. Wokeness is evil and will never solves the problems we seek to be solved.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
So keep doing what we've been doing and expect different results? Sounds like what I would have expected. History is not always pretty. But to learn from your mistakes you must first admit them and address them. Excuses to the contrary have helped lead us to where we are now.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

How the hell do you think I came up with it? Look at what Florida is doing to make light of Slavery, do the frickin math and you'll see.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend

How the hell do you think I came up with it? Look at what Florida is doing to make light of Slavery, do the frickin math and you'll see.

Oh, I know how. It wasn't a question as much as a quote to showoff your intellect level.

2 members like this: Day of the Dawg, Ballpeen
Legend
Legend

Oh, I know how. It wasn't a question as much as a quote to showoff your intellect level.

Actually it looks as if it was a quote to show us the Goper intellect level, lol.

– Jackie Robinson
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
For people who make so many excuses and would rather ignore things than address them, their superiority complex is strong.

#gmstrong
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Mass Shootings part... I've lost count...

Link Copied to Clipboard