Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Damanshot
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted by Squires
I don't think the government functions badly at all.

We're 34 trillion in debt. I don't see how any can consider the government functioning well.

Government should break the budget into needs and wants. The needs will be the funds the government needs to operate. Everything else, set up a go fund me page and let people that like paying taxes fund those things. Maybe the government should start selling war bonds again.

I don't suppose that the Trump tax breaks had anything to do with that. Or maybe a pandemic either for that matter.

In this millenium, we have avoided adding to the deficit one year. It was the very first measurement (The 2nd Bush's 1st year.) link Trying to twist that into a Trump-specific issue seems a pretty weak argument.

Trump definitely added to the problem. But, it's an ongoing problem that started before his time in office.

Maybe throwing millenia into it is a little cheap (even if factual), but 23 out of 24 years isn't a one president problem. It's a systemic one.

Where were we at the end of the Clinton years?

On the edge of a bubble.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: FATE
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Two bubbles... Dot bomb, and the unknown-at-the-time real estate bubble.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Two bubbles... Dot bomb, and the unknown-at-the-time real estate bubble.

Dot bomb was already over, and the real estate Bubble happened in 2005, well after the Clinton years..

What was the deficit after that clinton left us with?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Bro, the Dot Bomb bubble peaked on March 10, 2000…

In 1995, Clinton loosened housing rules by rewriting the Community Reinvestment Act that opened up mortgages to those who should not have qualified. Bush didn’t help it either but Clinton got the ball rolling. The bubble was building. A bubble is not only in existence at the time it bursts.

These are facts.

Yes, despite all that nonsense, I might see an argument that he was perhaps the most fiscally conservative president since pre-Reagan, but let’s at least be honest with ourselves at the same time about how he achieved a good portion of that achievement.

Last edited by dawglover05; 03/26/24 08:07 PM.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus $1.2 Trillion later, we can keep the gubment open. Woohoo!

Link Copied to Clipboard