Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
link

The Browns’ last road trip was a memorable one.
Will Sunday’s game at St. Louis’ Edward Jones Dome? If the following five facets break Cleveland’s way, that’s a good bet.
1) Who’s carrying the load?
The Browns divided their 30 carries for running backs as equally as possible last week against the Broncos. Duke Johnson Jr. had nine for 38 yards, Isaiah Crowell had 11 for 32 and Robert Turbin, in his Browns debut, ran 10 times for 27.
Browns offensive coordinator John DeFilippo has said he likes to ride the hot hand. The most runs attempted by a Cleveland running back in a single game this season is Crowell’s 15 for 72 yards against the Titans in Week 2. On the season, Crowell has 73 carries and Johnson has 49.
The competition among the three remains spirited and healthy. Crowell and especially Johnson Jr. have shown they can make an impact in the passing game, and Turbin came to Cleveland with 43 career receptions.
“I feel like we’re still competing every day,” Crowell said. “We’ve just got to see. I know I’ve been grinding it out each and every week and they have been, too. We’re just pushing each other, basically.”

2) The Rams’ special tendencies on special teams
Mike Pettine phrased the Rams’ approach to punts in a unique way.
“They view the punt as an offensive play,” he said.
The Browns are always on their toes for a fake punt even though they’ve yet to defend one this season. The likelihood increases against the Rams, whose special teams units are led by the respected John Fassel.
In a win last season against the Seahawks, the Rams not only executed a fake punt to seal the game, but also used a rare trick play return to score a touchdown. Punter Johnny Hekker is 6-for-8 on his career as a passer and Tavon Austin is one of the game’s most dynamic returners.
“They do a lot of things to test you,” Pettine said. “They force you to sometimes go vanilla in the punt return game, and that is an advantage for them.

3) Right at home on the road
The Browns offense hasn’t been fazed by hostile road conditions in its past two games. Josh McCown, in particular, has been terrific away from Cleveland, even when you count the season opener.
In his three road starts, McCown is 73-for-100 for 862 yards, four touchdowns, no interceptions and a quarterback rating of 112.2. Slow starts were a bit of an issue at San Diego and Baltimore, but they were quickly overcome by productive second and third quarters that kept the Browns in the game.
The Rams, meanwhile, have played two of their best defensive games at Edward Jones Dome, though their best ended as a 12-6 loss to Pittsburgh.

4) Turnover watch
When questions surfaced about the Browns’ interception drought from Week 1 to Week 5, defensive coordinator Jim O’Neil promised they came in bunches.
He turned out to be prophetic, as the Browns intercepted Peyton Manning three times last week after registering just one turnover in the previous three games. The problem? One week after going turnover-free in Baltimore, the Cleveland offense gave it up three times. Denver turned those turnovers into 10 points. The Browns only cashed in their three for seven, and those were a result of Karlos Dansby returning his second interception for a touchdown.
The Rams are middle of the pack when it comes to turnover margin at 1 for the season. In their Week 4 upset at Arizona, the Rams forced three turnovers and didn’t commit any in the 24-22 victory.
The Browns are 0-3 when they commit more turnovers than their opponent.

5) St. Louis’ run-pass ratio
No matter the score, St. Louis isn’t going to back off its run-first approach now that rookie Todd Gurley is rolling.
In its last two games, St. Louis has either run for the same amount of yardage as it’s passed for or far exceeded it. Only four running backs are averaging more than Gurley’s 18.3 carries per game, and that total’s skewed because of the nine attempts he received in his NFL debut. He has 49 in the last two games.
The key will be limiting what Gurley accomplish on first and second downs and forcing the Rams into predictable passing plays on third down. The Rams have picked up 15 first downs on the ground and 16 through the air over their past two games.
In St. Louis’ three losses, quarterback Nick Foles has averaged 5.42 yards per attempt.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I'd add that I think another thing to watch is the speed of our Smurfs indoor on turf. Benjamin & Gabriel should be able to do a fair bit of damage as long as the OLine buys McCown time.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
5 Things to Watch:
1. Gurley
2. Gurley
3. Gurley
4. Gurley
5. Gurley

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
5 Things to Watch:
1. Gurley
2. Gurley
3. Gurley
4. Gurley
5. Gurley

6. the Browns D-coordinator off by himself on the sidelines with hot tears of embarrassment in his eyes

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: prp
The Browns only cashed in their three for seven, and those were a result of Karlos Dansby returning his second interception for a touchdown.

And this is why we are 3-3 instead of 2-4. Yay Browns!

Wait... they did what?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
5 Things to Watch:

1. Gurley's first 50 yards rushing
2. Gurley's second 50 yards rushing
3. Gurley's third 50 yards rushing
4. Gurley's fourth 50 yards rushing
5. Gurley's final 50 yards rushing

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Actually the biggest thing to watch for that will determine the outcome of this game...

ARE WE WEARING WHITE!?!?

grin

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
R
Legend
Legend
R
I think these lists are kind of silly.

What do fans really want to see?

--I want to see Pettine improve his management of the game with smart decisions regarding timeout management and critical decisions recognizing situational football. We need to see an improvement here.

--I want to see Manziel improve and be able to make that intermediate throw down the center of the field from the pocket.

--I want to see Shelton get his pad level down.

--I want to see the defense play consistent from the first to the last snap - if the first snap is a good snap. If not, and the second snap is a good snap, then from the second snap to the last snap.

--I want to see hope for the future.

D
Legend
Legend
D
As others mentioned, Gurley will be the only thing to watch because he's ripping it up and we're giving it up.

This rookie may have a career setting day once he hits any of our collapsing edges.

2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I think these lists are kind of silly.

--I want to see Manziel improve and be able to make that intermediate throw down the center of the field from the pocket.

I believe this was a mistype.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: eotab
Actually the biggest thing to watch for that will determine the outcome of this game...

ARE WE WEARING WHITE!?!?

grin

Nate Ulrich Retweeted
Cleveland Browns ‏@Browns 21h21 hours ago
Thursday afternoon = uniform reveal time! 🔥

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
I agree, and it is often overlooked. But if we don't dial them up and have at a defense, especially vertically, their speed doesn't help much. I would like to see an aggressive game out of Flip and run these guys more. McCown needs time, but we need to be craftier and more aggressive on the offensive plays IMO.

Just wish we could drive AND score TD's. The three and out club is making things worse. If we put up points better, we are in this.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The thing I'm watching for is if O'Neil sells out for the run. IMO they should make Foles win this with his arm. No matter what he does, play the run emphatically.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
No mistype.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
benji gets 2 touchdowns.
2duke monster game
3 shelton gets two sacks
4foles throws 2 intereception
5We win special teams

Last edited by jacksondawg; 10/24/15 07:04 PM.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Mike Pettine continues to pretend to know what he is doing
McCown continues to regress
Browns playing like a Brown
Joe Thomas prepping for his show
Gurley going over 200

We are terrible
T
Legend
Legend
T
IF THE BROWNS CAN'T WIN THIS GAME AND GET TO 3-4, THE SEASONS OVER.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Hate to say it Long, but this season was over before it began. I know it isn't "fan like", but I am watching and hoping to see tight games with a lot of close losses. Why, because this team will never get it's franchise quarterback without a first pick in the first round. The problem, the team will probably end up picking second behind the Ravens and either 1- pick another developmental QB that can't be developed, 2- Pick another Corner Back, or 3- pick some other non- impact player.

Oh, back to the thread;

Like an earlier poster stated, Five things to watch
"Gurley, Gurley, Gurley, Gurley, and Gurley" Why, because if our defense doesn't figure out how to contain, that is all we are going to see all game long.

Hears to hoping Dorsey is the Browns Ozzie Newsome.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I think their plan right now is to lose just enough to pick Conor Cooke.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Why, because if our defense doesn't figure out how to contain, that is all we are going to see all YEAR long

fixed it ferya....

wink

"too many notes, not enough music-"
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 6 - Rams 24 5 Things to Watch; Browns vs Rams

Link Copied to Clipboard