S
Spawn1 Offline OP
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
S
Link

Buccaneers fire Lovie Smith

• Tale of tape: Smith lasted just two years in Tampa Bay, following up a dismal 2-14 season with a 6-10 mark in 2015. The Buccaneers were a surprise wild-card contender for much of the year, reaching 5-5 in late November and again in early December before fading with four straight losses.

• What went wrong: There always seems to be one firing that catches everyone off guard, and this certainly qualifies. A lot less went wrong in 2015 than in 2014, which is why this comes as such a surprise.

Smith seemed a much more likely candidate to get the boot following his first Bucs year, which produced just two wins and a handful of horrid losses—a 56-14 blowout in Atlanta; a 48-17 home loss to Baltimore. But Tampa Bay nabbed Jameis Winston with the No. 1 pick and made significant improvements this season, including in its record.

In fact, just Monday Smith said that the Buccaneers "should" make the postseason in 2016.

“We were 6-6. That was progress to get in position, and things looked pretty bright for us,” Smith said. “We weren't quite ready to take that next step then. But we’ll make the corrections, the moves that we have to make in order to finish the 2016 season.”

Much like was the case with Mike Pettine in Cleveland, the argument to remove Smith could have started on defense. That side of the ball was Smith’s expertise coming in, but Tampa Bay struggled to grasp his complex system last season and continued to go through the motions at times in Year 2. During the season-ending four-game skid, the Buccaneers surrendered 29.8 points per game, although the offense’s eight combined turnovers certainly contributed to the elevated number.

Speculation did immediately turn to the possibility that Tampa Bay removed Smith so it could promote offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter, who reportedly was being eyed at least by the Eagles for their head coaching vacancy.

Former Bucs GM and current ESPN analyst Mark Domenik tweeted the following immediately after news of Smith's firing broke: “With Lovie Smith fired I would expect Dirk Koetter to be named head coach within the week. They still will interview a few other candidates.”

Still, the move comes across as hasty for a team clearly in a rebuild. Tampa Bay linebacker Lavonte David even expressed his frustration with the decision, also via Twitter: “This is stupid, we can't even have a consistent coach, 3 coaches in 5 yrs,” he wrote as part of an extended rant.

Also of note here: both Smith and Tennessee's Ken Whisenhunt failed to make it beyond the 2015 season, despite their respective teams taking high-profile QBs early in last year's draft. The general consensus headed into the pre-season, especially in Whisenhunt's case, was that a rookie franchise quarterback might help buy the coach some time.

Smith seemed to have survived where Whisenhunt did not. The Buccaneers changed all that in a heartbeat.

• Possible replacements: Adam Gase, Hue Jackson, Koetter, Josh McDaniels, Matt Patricia

• Ideal hire: Breaking the rules here, but the ideal scenario was to keep Smith. Let's be honest here: Lavonte David isn't wrong. Raheem Morris flopped and Greg Schiano was an abject failure for the Bucs. Smith appeared to have this thing back on track again after an extended struggle, so the switch away from him must mean either a) the front office has unrealistic expectations for this season, or b) the Buccaneers are hellbent on keeping Koetter in the fold.

The former would signal an egregious miscalculation. The latter puts a lot of faith in a 56-year-old longtime offensive coordinator, whose last head coaching experience came at Arizona State (2001-06). Should the Buccaneers do move Koetter up the ladder, it’s a calculated gamble. If it doesn't work out, they’ll have tossed Smith aside for nothing and likely will be back in a similar spot two or three years from now.

Let me be the first to say, we gotta get this guy.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Dick Koetter, please stand up.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Is Tampa Bay trying to challenge the Browns for the dumbest team in the league?

E
Legend
Legend
E
There always seems to be one firing that catches everyone off guard,

Yes, this one shocked me. As I read it I guess it was the interest in that OC by the Eagles that percipitated the move. Which tells me Smith was a temp all along.

Long term? I know we don't want short term here. A total complicated D will not do well short term. I think Lovie Smith is a proven SOLID HC I think only if he gets the right OC and DC can he become a great HC. Weird thought is that he could be a builder but not the guy to take it to the next level??? If you know what I mean...always a brides maid never a bride? Is maybe the expression that fits best.

I think in our normal way of hiring he probably would be the best candidate. But somebody bright innovative to work together with something we are building here or attempting to build here. I don't think he's the ONE...

Maybe I'm bias cause I have my own favorite of the possible candidates. Patricia DC of the Pats. I want a brilliant young HC who has Super Star written over him.

I wouldn't be upset if we chose Smith just I hate picking one guy cause now anyone we take that isn't my guy I will be a little upset with.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
I want a brilliant young HC who has Super Star written over him.

We already had Pet here.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

We already had Pet here.

lmao.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Legend
Legend
D
Pretty surprising move, I think. Nfl these days lol.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Didn't Lovie and the Bears go 10 and 6 the last time he was fired?

Man, this guy has had some tough luck.

Legend
Legend
He got fired over the phone....

That sucks.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
He got fired over the phone....

That sucks.

Were they speaking or did he get a text?

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
lol, i'd wonder what emoji they used if it was a text

- Theodore Roosevelt
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
So do you guys picture us reaching out to Lovie? Is he only going to get coordinator gigs from now on?

This seems nuts to me. O-Coordinator has at least one (only read about the Dolphins) team interested in him so the Bucs just promote him to head coach?? Weird.

Legend
Legend
they didn't like the HC, but liked the guy the HC hired.

on top of that, their defense just might lack more playmakers than we do, yet as a team, they won more games.

hell, they swept the falcons, with the god Shanny calling plays.

from what's being reported, they liked the way winston was developing and want to keep the OC....even though there's no guarantee that the OC even takes the job if offered.

i would hope we would, he has the credentials.

Last edited by Swish; 01/07/16 11:38 AM.

- Theodore Roosevelt
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

We already had Pet here.

Thanks for mocking me... thumbsup

Of course you are the one Grading posts here and saying how we should talk and not insult... If it was a joke and you busting my chops in a friendly manner...missed the emoticon to suggest that.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Raw deal for Lovie, but in today's NFL the QB rules the roost. Jameis and Dirk Koetter had a strong relationship and Winston really progressed. Then there were rumors of Koetter becoming a HC elsewhere and the Bucs had to do anything to keep him with their QB.

Thus, Lovie is gone.

What irks me is that guys like Stephen A. Smith, Mike Wilbon, Bomani Jones, etc will claim racism and "this is why black men won't make it in the NFL as coaches" .. but race had nothing to do with it IMO. It all came down to keeping the QB (who ironically happens to be black) happy and progressing.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Makes absolutely no sense.

Legend
Legend
lol, i'd wonder what emoji they used if it was a text

Legend
Legend
The Bucs truly do rival us for ineptness with their hiring/firing of coaches.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
This was a terrible firing that never should have happened.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
i just remembered that this guy got that chicago team to the SB with rex grossman and kyle orton as starting Qb's.

- Theodore Roosevelt
S
Legend
Legend
S
i just remembered that this guy got that chicago team to the SB with rex grossman and kyle orton as starting Qb's.

I was as surprised as anyone else. I know that the wins weren't quite there, but he played a huge part on the process to develop Winston. The maturity Winston showed this year, reflects a lot on Smith..

I just know that in living in Chicago during his entire tenure with the Bears, the players were ready to run through a brick wall for him. Not in the same sense that players like Pet because of the days off and easy training camps. Bears were always worked pretty hard... He's great with people.

I was actually hoping he was available when the Buckeye job opened up after the Tressel stuff... He has ties to OSU and would have been a fantastic hire..

As far as the Browns goes. They should do their due dilligence. I don't think he'd be high on their list, but they should bring him in..

I'm not a huge fan of the defensive scheme he ran, but as far as a leader of men, you won't find anyone to say anything negative on that front.

There's gotta be more to this firing, no?

Legend
Legend
Quote:
“This is stupid, we can't even have a consistent coach, 3 coaches in 5 yrs,”

See?
This is what they look like. Not pretty, is it?

This is what we've always looked like.
Let that marinate for awhile.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Quote:
What irks me is that guys like Stephen A. Smith, Mike Wilbon, Bomani Jones, etc will claim racism and "this is why black men won't make it in the NFL as coaches"

Have they really been doing that?
I haven't watched espn in almost a decade...
I don't remember Wilbon being like that when PTI was fresh.
They really do that...?
Wow.

I may have to tune in some time.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
V
Legend
Legend
V
brownie

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn

There's gotta be more to this firing, no?

The article says everything you need to know...

Quote:
Speculation did immediately turn to the possibility that Tampa Bay removed Smith so it could promote offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter, who reportedly was being eyed at least by the Eagles for their head coaching vacancy.

Former Bucs GM and current ESPN analyst Mark Domenik tweeted the following immediately after news of Smith's firing broke: “With Lovie Smith fired I would expect Dirk Koetter to be named head coach within the week. They still will interview a few other candidates.”

They just don't want to lose the OC. Seems like a rough way to go about keeping the guy, but if he's the real secret to the Winston success, you have to do what's necessary for your QB.

As for the Bears and Smith, those teams were great to watch. Their Front-7 and special teams were amazing. They could get to the QB almost every passing down by just rushing 4 linemen. The NY Giants did the same thing for their two Super Bowls (Eli had a little bit to do with it too).

I almost felt bad for Grossman. A terrible QB that got to a Super Bowl by riding a great defense. He is "Trent Delfer without the ring" though.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
L
Legend
Legend
L
I'd take a hard look at Lovie before these idiots we're looking at now..I can tell you if we end up with Marrone, it will be a mass exodus by players. Which wouldn't be bad but it will be the ones we actually want to stay like Thomas, mack and schwartz

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Mack is gone no matter who we bring in.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
Legend
Legend
Did you know that there was a Rex Grossman who played in the NFL in the 50s? He was a LB/FB/PK for the Colts and Lions.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Bucs fire Lovie Smith

Link Copied to Clipboard