Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Cleveland Browns: Von Miller just made Mitchell Schwartz a lot of cash

The Cleveland Browns need to look no further than what Mitchell Schwartz did to Von Miller to understand the value of keeping Schwartz on the team.

Super Bowl 50 will not go down as one of the all-time greats as the Denver Broncos took care of the Carolina Panthers in what was mostly a dull encounter.

But for Cleveland Browns right tackle Mitchell Schwartz, the game may be one that he will remember for a very long time.

And he has Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller to thank for that.

Miller walked out of Levi’s Stadium on Sunday night with the Most Valuable Player award after sacking Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton 2.5 times, part of a six-sack onslaught of Newton. Included in those 2.5 sacks were a pair of forced fumbles, the first resulting in Denver’s opening touchdown and the second sealing the Broncos’ third Super Bowl trophy.

“He’s tremendous, but we expect nothing less,” Denver defensive lineman Antonio Smith of Miller. “He’s one of the most dynamic pass-rushers in the league. When he turns it on and he’s healthy, nobody’s going to stop him.”

Miller is an unrestricted free agent and, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport, now wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL.

That is the same Von Miller that came to FirstEnergy Stadium back in October with the Denver Broncos to take on the Cleveland Browns. That day one of the most-dominant defensive players in the NFL met his match in Schwartz, who limited Miller to just a lone quarterback pressure in Cleveland’s overtime loss.

Schwartz is also an unrestricted free agent and he should walk around with tape of his performance against Miller cued up during contract negotiations.

While his game against Miller was the highlight of the season, his consistent weekly effort helped Schwartz earn a spot as one of the top offensive line free agents this year, according to Pro Football Focus:

Schwartz may have been snubbed from Sunday’s Pro Bowl, but he played well enough to earn our second-team All-Pro spot at right tackle. Although he did allow 43 total pressures this season, he also was tied for the most snaps in pass protection with a whopping 705; by comparison, only 15 tackles had more than 600 pass-block snaps. Schwartz has earned a positive overall grade in all four seasons, and is coming off the best season of his career. In addition, Schwartz has not missed a single snap out of 4,427 over his four years in the league.

One of the big takeaways for many fans from Super Bowl 50 is that a dominating defense that can rush the passer is all you need to win a title.

But the flip side of that is if you have a dominant offensive line, it may not matter what the defense tries to do.

The Browns currently have one of the league’s best offensive lines and Schwartz is a key member of that unit. While the Browns have done a nice job of building depth along the interior of the line with Austin Pasztor and Cameron Erving, the same cannot be said at the tackle position.

In recent years the Browns have been unwilling to retain their own free agents with mixed results. But there is no doubt that letting Schwartz hit the open market would hurt the team more than any other free agent loss over the years.

If there is still any doubt of that in the minds of executive vice president of football operations Sashi Brown and head coach Hue Jackson, all they have to do is roll the tape of Schwartz’ performance against the reigning Super Bowl MVP.

http://dawgpounddaily.com/2016/02/08/cle...-a-lot-of-cash/

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Hope we find a way to keep him here. Just pay the man.,.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
I've been a big Schwartz critic but I've been meaning to pose this question:

Didn't we look better against the Bronco's than the Panthers did?

Didn't we almost beat them?

Definitely gotta keep this guy!

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Legend
Legend
Peyton throwing 3 INT certainly helped.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: MrTed

The Browns lost in OT 26-23...

...Von Miller had zero sacks in the game.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mac

The Browns lost in OT 26-23...

...Von Miller had zero sacks in the game.

Sounds like the entire line did it's job including Schwartz..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
That article looks like it was written by a poster on a message board.

I like Schwartz a lot and hope the Browns keep him, but there was a lot more going on in that game than the author communicated.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
That article looks like it was written by a poster on a message board.

I like Schwartz a lot and hope the Browns keep him, but there was a lot more going on in that game than the author communicated.

Be that as it may, they didn't get a sack and that has to bode well for the Browns line. Doesn't matter what spin you put on it.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Schwartz is a great RT and I don't want to take anything away from him, but this article is misleading.

The only time Schwartz faced Miller was when Denver was in their Nickle defense. The rest of the time Miller was facing Thomas.

Of course Schwartz would normally be blocking a still tough assignment in Demarcus Ware, but he was injured and didn't play against the Browns. Back-up Shane Ray was injured as well. UDFA Shaquil Barrett played mostly against Schwartz and had a pretty good game with a strip sack and a fumble recovery.

While the thought process behind the article is true, the fact is that Schwartz had an easier assignment than normal in Denver and did not play his best.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
The rest of the time Miller was facing Thomas.

I recall the opposite. I remember only a few times Miller was put on Thomas. I remember Miller and Schwartz one-on-one the majority of the game. I don't think DeMarcus Ware played that game and I think Barrett was put on Thomas quite a bit-- could be wrong on that one, however.

Unfortunately, I don't have the game taped and happy to be corrected. I just looked at a few still shots and highlights and most had Miller v Schwartz in them. Admittedly, it's a small sample size compared to the total Browns' offensive snaps, though.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Strange....all year long I saw people post that Schwartz sucked.

We can look it up....it will be on here somewhere.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
He had bad games.

We can also look up how someone said that the Browns would win 11 games this year. Shall we?

L
Legend
Legend
L
Personally I'd rather not lol

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Me either. Or is that neither? Confusing.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Technically, both are acceptable.

gmstrong

-----------------

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks, professor. thumbsup

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I was one of those underwhelmed with his performance, said so in my first post in this thread.
I even said of him during the 2014 season, 'Mitchell Schwartz would get owned by my kids rabbit, that is buried in my back yard.'
To which someone replied (and I still get a laugh out of this), 'There's no shame in getting owned by a zombie rabbit.'
We may have one of the best lines in the league, but our rushing stats don't support that.
Having said that, if what this article says is true I'd like him to stick around.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
V
Legend
Legend
V
Schwartz is a good RT and the Browns should keep him, but the article was very misleading.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I was one of those underwhelmed with his performance, said so in my first post in this thread.
I even said of him during the 2014 season, 'Mitchell Schwartz would get owned by my kids rabbit, that is buried in my back yard.'
To which someone replied (and I still get a laugh out of this), 'There's no shame in getting owned by a zombie rabbit.'
We may have one of the best lines in the league, but our rushing stats don't support that.
Having said that, if what this article says is true I'd like him to stick around.

We had no running game, but our FB couldn't make a lead block to save his life and Crowell acted like he was hypnotized until late in the season. I'm still not sure what turned the light on for Crow, but suddenly he was back to running with a purpose.

Legend
Legend
the possibility of not having a job next year helps.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
L
Legend
Legend
L
Austin Pasztor helped IMO

gmstrong

-----------------

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Schwartz is a good RT and the Browns should keep him, but the article was very misleading.

Well stated...agree.

Compare Schwartz's performance vs. Von Miller compared to the last two RTs, Carolina and New England, against.

I would bring back. Unless thoughts Browns draft Joe Thomas's future replacement and not take a QB at #2.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Von Miller just made Mitchell Schwartz a lot of cash

Link Copied to Clipboard