Next Thread
Print Thread
B
bugs Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
I find this interesting. Was it really same ol'Browns or Kyle Shanahan?

Link

Quote:

Roddy White tees off on Kyle Shanahan

After the Falcons started the 2015 season 4-0, receiver Roddy White complained about his role in the offense. Now that he has been cut, White has opted for even more candor, specifically in the direction of offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan.

“What [Shanahan] expected from me and what I expected from him was totally different,” White said Saturday at the UAB alumni football game, via Vaughn McClure of ESPN.com. “I expected to play a bigger role in the offense, and that’s what I wanted to do. But he didn’t have that in his desires. He had other people that he wanted to play my role, so he wanted me to be out of the [offense]. That was the whole thing. And it is what it is. I can’t do nothing about it. I can’t change his way of thinking or anything like that. I can just do what I did, which was just handle my business and get myself prepared for this moment.”

Some think the Shanahan offense was too complex. White disagrees, sort of.

“No it wasn’t,” White said, “besides the things [Shanahan] was doing in making six variations to one route. It was just episodes throughout the game where I think he mismanaged things and screwed up and we didn’t have the opportunity to win the game, which, I thought, was on him as the offensive coordinator. It wasn’t sound football, but it was things that he was used to doing and things we weren’t used to doing as an offense, and it literally cost us like two games.”

Did White share his concerns with Shanahan?

“Man, I talked to him just about every day about everything,” White said. “But it’s like, ‘If I’m talking to you and it’s not getting no better, what do you expect from me?’ He kept trying to tell you all what he’s trying to do with the offense, but for the last 11 weeks of the season, we didn’t do anything. We didn’t turn no curves. The first four weeks were good. We went out there and scored a bunch of points and started off strong. But other than that, we didn’t do nothing the rest of the year.”

It’s somewhat surprising White didn’t say more publicly than he did during the season, given the extent of his frustration. Still, some think that White’s public comments (and private frustrations) after the team started off so strong helped create a negative environment, which in turn contributed to the offense’s struggles.

With age already working against him, White’s words could make a new team leery about signing him. After all, what happens if he’s not happy with his role in his next team?

Normally I say Roddy White is a sore loser. You wonder. Three years in a row three teams three good starts three times it died at the end. It makes one go hmmmm!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have read in other places that Shanny is not popular in Atlanta.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Shocker.

Legend
Legend
Not surprised by anything here. (the fact that Roddy publicly made those statements and the fact that they're probably true)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Another brilliant comment. Seriously, how can you say that when the Browns went from 7 wins to 3 wins?

I do see this as true, though:

Quote:
With age already working against him, White’s words could make a new team leery about signing him. After all, what happens if he’s not happy with his role in his next team?

Legend
Legend
For what it's worth, they did win two more games last year than they did before Shanny got there. I don't know if it was because of him or not.

Shanny has had issues with the Redskins, the Browns and maybe now with the falcons. (that's just a maybe)

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
For what it's worth, they did win two more games last year than they did before Shanny got there. I don't know if it was because of him or not.

Shanny has had issues with the Redskins, the Browns and maybe now with the falcons. (that's just a maybe)

I am not saying the guy is a bad coach, but it might be fair to say he isn't a players coach.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Has anyone considered that perhaps White's role diminished more due to his own issues than Shanny's?

White was drafted in 2005. It was his 11th season in the NFL.He is a WR. Atlanta cut him. When he became available, almost everyone who replied said they would not want him in Cleveland.

Furthermore, who would you throw the ball to more, Roddy White or Julio Jones?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

"The Atlanta Falcons' offensive coordinator didn't offer coachspeak when asked how he might distribute touches going forward, with veteran Roddy White desiring more looks and Leonard Hankerson close to returning from a hamstring injury.

"The main thing is, I don't think about balancing out passes," Shanahan said. "I think about trying to get the ball to Julio (Jones), for the most part."

Then Shanahan dropped the microphone.

ESPN

I'd like to add too that after reading the title of the thread I expected White to really bring the burn. But I didn't think he teed off on Shanahan. He explained his disappointment but I didn't hear anything brutal. I think White knows who he is. It's just hard to admit.

For instance, I'm 63 and not in the best of health. That's not easy to accept. But time doesn't go backward so I've decided to make the best of it going forward. Life is good. White needs to reach that line of thought.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Shanny should have pulled a Suh and said, "I don't need Rodney White's respect". grin

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
bugs Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

Another brilliant comment. Seriously, how can you say that when the Browns went from 7 wins to 3 wins?

I do see this as true, though:

Quote:

How many more excuses can you find?

Looking at Shanahan's last three years clearly you see a pattern. It doesn't take a power point presentation to see he might need some adjustments in his season strategy. He had the most talent this last season. With or without White, he should have had better results.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I think it's the same thing Shanahan tried to do in Cleveland.. pushing the ball to Gordon and pretty much no one else once Gordon came off his 2014 suspension.

I know as fans we all blamed Hoyer, but with the admission of pushing the ball to Julio in his next job in Atlanta.. and what we saw of the ball going to Gordon while in Cleveland.. could it be that Shanahan was not as good a play caller as was assumed ?

When the ball was spread around.. before Gordon came back from suspension.. the Browns offense did well and won their 7 games.. but after Gordon came back and received the lions share of the targets.. the losing started and Hoyer got the blame...

I know.. Hoyer should have gone through his progressions.. but what if he was told to concentrate on Gordon.. just as Atlanta concentrates on Jones.

From the article... "Seriously speaking, it's no secret that Shanahan has featured Jones in every which way through the first nine games, moving him around the formation to create mismatches. It's helped Jones lead the league in receptions with 80 for 1,029 yards and six touchdowns on 120 targets. The next closest wide receiver -- Hankerson -- has 39 targets.

At the same time, Shanahan also pointed out the need to get White more involved, as head coach Dan Quinn said earlier in the week. White, the franchise's all-time leading receiver, is fifth on the team with 17 receptions for 230 yards and one touchdown on just 29 targets.

"Roddy is, in my opinion, probably the best receiver of my generation of guys I've studied," Shanahan said. "He doesn't have the same role on this team as he had when he was younger. We have other guys that we can go to. He's not always the No. 2 option.

"Roddy does a lot of good things; he's done everything we've asked him to do. I think we do need to get him more touches. He's been there at times and been open when he hasn't gotten the ball. But it's nothing personal. Roddy's done a good job, and he's done what we've asked him to do." "

Things that make you go Hmmmmm....

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
How many more excuses can you find?

Take a hike, bugs.

Legend
Legend
He could replace Bowe, straight up trade maybe.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
E
Legend
Legend
E
Thats our Shanny. Making friends wherever he goes.

No Craps Given
V
Legend
Legend
V
So, should the Browns sign Roddy White and make sure we target him more than any other WR on the team?

C
Legend
Legend
C
So, should the Browns sign Roddy White and make sure we target him more than any other WR on the team?

Have you seen our receivers?

(This was a joke.)

E
Legend
Legend
E
I dont care if the browns sign white. They are hosed until they get a qb and a defense.

No Craps Given
V
Legend
Legend
V
Sorry sweetheart, but I think you are missing my point.

My point is that Roddy White really isn't that good anymore. He has regressed over the past few years. He has played a long time. He was a very good WR, but I would rather throw the ball to Julio Jones than Roddy White.

Does that make sense?

Look, bugs just posted that article to mess w/me. Nothing more/nothing less.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I agree with that
smile

No Craps Given
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I am not saying the guy is a bad coach, but it might be fair to say he isn't a players coach.

Trending that way. This story is probably a little bit of that side of Shanny and a little bit of a disgruntled ex employee with diminishing skills nearing the end of his days. Two sides to every divorce and the truth is usually in the middle.

#gmstrong
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Roddy White is well past his prime. Often times a player who gets phased out will complain.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Yeah, that about sums it up..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D

Yep, +2

E
Legend
Legend
E
He just isn't the type of coach that can get his guys to go through a wall of fire so to say.

I liked his X's n O's - I'm not sure his players all trust him.

I don't see HC in his future.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Shanny Jr. = Wade Phillips ....great coordinators not very good HC's

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
I agree with these takes on him. I always wondered if his system was needlessly complex. Had success. Given what we had and the QB sideshow. But never struck me as a HC type, and it seems no accident he struggles personally with various staff and individuals. Can;t imagine he fingerscrossed is not part of an equation that is complicated by him as a part of it. Just seems to complicate things around himself.

I am looking forward to some improved offense and output this year. Hate getting optimistic this early. I will, once again, risk it. fingerscrossed

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
FWIW:

Quote:
Given how certain players feel about Kyle Shanahan, I'd be very surprised if Alex Mack ended up in Atlanta.

https://twitter.com/RyInCBus/status/706927410491564032

Jason Pinkston's reponse to above tweet....

Quote:
@RyInCBus hahah no fn chance unless the money is just unreal

https://twitter.com/JasonPinkstonOL/status/706935560695369729

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
rofl

Legend
Legend
Kyle = Smart young guy. Knows his stuff, can outsmart the defensive cord a lot of the time. He also = Me, me, me kind of guy. Most of you guys have worked for people like this. Guys who are smart, guys who could have a bright future. BUT any time anything goes wrong it's never their fault. They always blame it on somebody else. I was loud and clear about Shany when he was here, saying he was a me, me, me guy and most folks ignored me. That was fine as Y'all know I have never needed a pat on the back to speak my mind, or what I know. I hope he can grow a set one day and admit when he is wrong and learn and grow from it. It would be the best thing that could happen to his career in the NFL

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
B
bugs Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Look, bugs just posted that article to mess w/me. Nothing more/nothing less.

Sorry, no! Original post was focusing on the false reports thrown at Cleveland. Media preys on easy targets to bad they only need speculation.

"How many more excuses" was the jab. Go read your replies to some of my last week posts if you're looking for reasons.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Two words for you: Alex Mack. rofl

Legend
Legend
Two words for you: Alex Mack. rofl

Two more words: Guaranteed money.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Roddy White tees off on Kyle Shanahan

Link Copied to Clipboard