Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
C
Here's an interesting piece put up by ESPN this morning. Measures the "top" QBs in different NFL type situations. After reading, I feel a little better about the prospect of us picking Lynch at 8 or in another trade down.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/...entz-jared-goff

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am convinced that Hackenbergs horrendous team plays a role in a lot of his issues. Removing his freshman year, he will only have played with two players that were drafted….a 2nd round Tackle and a 5th round tight end.

84% in the red zone is good.

These Metrics are really taking in to account the players around them too little and giving credit where it’s not necessarily due.

Quote:
Standardized completion percentage accounts for the distance of a quarterback's passes and eliminates drops and throwaways to better gauge a player's true accuracy.

So when you have no receivers getting downfield, you’re penalized?

Quote:
On third- or fourth-down plays with at least 10 yards to go for a first down

Again, how can this possibly be all on the QB?

Quote:
When the quarterback is sacked, under duress or hit, it's defined as a QB pressure.

When I watch the film, I see Hackenberg eating a lot of sacks because he doesn’t see anyone open.

Quote:
Whereas any net gain against pressure is good, quarterbacks can inflict serious damage by properly reading the blitz (any dropback with five or more pass rushers).

Not taking into account system, players around them and O-line seems like an awful way to gauge blitz beating.

I am not trying to make excuses for Hackenberg, but even as I type this I feel like I am. I just see a really bad offensive football team and think some of these measures are placing too much blame on the QB and not enough on the surrounding players to get the ball downfield.

When the field shrinks Hackenbergs numbers go way up, that can’t be a coincidence.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season 2016 NFL Draft ESPN article- Situational QB metrics

Link Copied to Clipboard