Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Former Cleveland Browns Pro Bowl center Tom DeLeone died on Sunday at age 65, the team announced.

DeLeone, an Ohio native, played at Ohio State under legendary coach Woody Hayes before being drafted by the Bengals in 1972. He played two seasons for Cincinnati before going to the Browns, and played for Cleveland from 1974 to '84, making the Pro Bowl in 1979 and 1980.

link

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
RIP man you gave us a lot of enjoyment back in the day....

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Legend
Legend
rip dang

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Damn he's just a yr older than me, but I enjoyed watching him play. And by the way I watched the 64 game. I will always have that.

Last edited by nordawg; 05/22/16 08:27 PM.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
He was key piece of the cardiac kids. RIP, Tom.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
1980 Browns' OL:

54 Tom DeLeone C
63 Cody Risien T
64 Joe DeLamielleure G
65 Henry Sheppard G
68 Robert E. Jackson G
69 Joel Patten T
73 Doug Dieken T
79 Gerry Sullivan T/C

That, folks, was an offensive line to be proud of.

Rest in peace, Tom DeLeone.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: Dave
1980 Browns' OL:

54 Tom DeLeone C
63 Cody Risien T
64 Joe DeLamielleure G
65 Henry Sheppard G
68 Robert E. Jackson G
69 Joel Patten T
73 Doug Dieken T
79 Gerry Sullivan T/C

One of the best ever...RIP Tom

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Legend
Legend
He was the anchor of one of the best OL I have ever had to joy of watching on some of the best Browns teams I have ever had the joy of watching.

RIP Tom, and thank you.

My condolences and prayers to his family.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
1980 Browns' OL:

54 Tom DeLeone C
63 Cody Risien T
64 Joe DeLamielleure G
65 Henry Sheppard G
68 Robert E. Jackson G
69 Joel Patten T
73 Doug Dieken T
79 Gerry Sullivan T/C

That was also a TEAM which is still friends to this day.

Jerry Sherk, Pete Adams, Matt Miller, Tom DeLeone, Cody Reisen, Joe DeLamielleure

My heart and my prayers go out to his wife Mindy, his family, and his friends. He will be missed by so many people frown

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Damn. That's sad. He was a very good player in his day and you guys are right in saying that that OL was very good and a big part of why those teams had so much offensive success.

Legend
Legend
RIP Tom

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Another sad part to this is that Tom lost his first wife Susie to cancer back in the mid 70's. He kept up not only hope but a great attitude till the day he passed. This is a song have listen to at least 100,000 times in the last 18 months and it fits Tom very well. Goodbye friend cry It's one Hell Of a AMEN buddy

Doctor said he ain't got long
He just smiled said bring it on
If you think I'm scared
You got me all wrong
A little cancer can't break me
My heart's right and I believe
We all hit our knees
Started prayin'
Naw he never gave up
Said the Good Lord's waitin'

An' that's One Hell of an Amen
That's the only way to go
Fightin' the good fight
Til the Good Lord calls you home
So be well my friend
Til' I see you again
Yeah this is our last goodbye
But it's a Hell of an Amen

So be well my friend
Til' I see you again
This is our last goodbye
But it's a Hell of an Amen

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Prayers for his family ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
A
Legend
Legend
A
I really like that song.

Another one I like, concerning death anyway, is Luke Bryan's "Drink A Beer". I liked the song, but it struck a whole new meaning when my friend died in September. Motorcycle accident. Many times since then I've gone out, usually at sunset.....listening to the song, sitting on a dock or a pier, or even a cement "channel" from Lake Michigan into a smaller lake. Pretty much cry the whole time.

We used to go to W. Virginia 4 wheeling each Memorial Day weekend. We'd have a blast. He was my bro in laws twin brother. I'm not going 4 wheeling this year, for other reasons..........

Anyway, it's weird how music can bring up so many emotions, can bring back so many feelings, and can inspire.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Oh - here's the song, with lyrics:

Legend
Legend
RIP.

Man among men. One f my idols growing up, a time when heroes mattered more.

Thanks for the model and setting the bar. Good memories.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Anyway, it's weird how music can bring up so many emotions, can bring back so many feelings, and can inspire.

Not weird at all, my friend.
It's beautiful.

But I do know what you mean, when you say 'weird.' There's an almost spiritual/magical nature to the way music can bend time and emotions in all of us..

There is ample scholarly evidence that 'organized sound' jacks our brains in scores of regions- at the same time:

math/structural analysis
emotion
language center
spontaneous stimulation of the amygdala (the 'primitive brain' that orders our instinctive behavior)
increased communication across the corpus collosum (the chain on nerve endings that connect 'right brain' to 'left brain').
visual/olfactory recall (seeing and even smelling the stimumi that were present when the memory was imprinted). (Check out some of the writings of Oliver Sacks for more background.)
absolute pitch memory- even in "non-musical" people.

I've always said that music can act as 'mankind's 'Pocket Time Machine.' It's handy. It's always ready. It doesn't require a 'Dr Who'-type contraption or massive amounts of power to kick into high gear. A few bars of some tune that was being played at a significant moment in our lives can trigger almost every sensory response we have... and compel us to experience that moment almost exactly as we did when it first happened.

Why do you think I'm so addicted to my job?
I've spent the last 4 decades of my life jumping around in a time machine. The coolest part of being in this perpetual playground: every 2 weeks, they hand me money for doing it. It's gotta be 'The Scam of The Century,' I tellya- rofl

Dawg: It's the very reason I post all these memories of mine with such detail and clarity. Almost every one of my nostalgic posts have been prompted by hearing a tune that's playing in the background while I surf the net. Welcome to "life inside Clem's head." It's both a blessing AND a curse, as you might imagine.

It ain't weird. It's beautiful.
It makes each and every one of us 'masters of time and space.' The same way we were when we were kids- when such 'super powers' were ours to use every day.

I'll confess: DeLeone played his first pro years during my total hiatus from the Browns. I was in school- and the Browns had taken a back seat to other pursuits. His name started popping up when I was called back by the Kardiac Kids. Another Ohio kid, playing on My Team. His name was one of the many who contributed to my memories of that time: Dick Ambrose, Reggie Rucker, Deik, DeLamielleure, and Clay Matthews, to name just a few.

This news makes me sad all over again.
Recently, I've been bitten by the mortality bug in a very personal way: 2 important Pillars of My Personal Family in just about a month's time. Seeing Tom D's name only adds to my sense of the passage of time.

Dawgs... the 'Kardiac Kids' were a long, loooong time ago.
As an 'older Browns Fan,' I'll be more than happy to attach whatever insipid, vaccuous 'tune of the moment' is associated with a 21st c Browns Super Bowl title. I don't even care if it's by someone as talentless and uninspiring as 50 Cent...

...as long as I can associate it with a Lomardi for The Team I Love.

Clemdawg.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
#1118567 05/27/16 02:30 PM
Legend
Legend

Back in 1970 and 71 I was a student at Kent State. I met a young girl at one of my classes and we started going out. Things moved on quickly and we moved in together. We were living off campus in a house shared by other students. My girlfriend and I had a room and another room was shared by a girl friend of my girl and the lead singer from the Numbers Band (15 - 60- 75)Bob Kidney.

It so happens that my girlfriend, her girl friend, and Tom DeLeone all went to high school together and my now girlfriend was Tom's ex high school sweetheart.

Late one Saturday night the phone rings. Tom and one of his teamates from Ohio Sate were at a local truck stop drunk. Their plan was to come to the house where we lived and kick my ass.

Since I was all of 165lbs soaking wet with heavy boots on I didn't really represent much of a challenge.

There was a bottle we kept in our room that held all our spare change. So I figured that my best chance of survival was stand behind the door when he came in blast him with the bottle and if that didn't work run like hell.

When they showed up Cindy (the friend) told Tom and his buddy that she was going to call the cops and basically talked them out of their plan; much to my relief.

At a later time while still at Kent, Tom and I actually met. He then had a new girl friend. We talked and made peace.

Have to admit the episode put me into a survival mode at the time. I didn't like the idea too much of having to do battle with two OL on the Ohio State team. Sure glad I had two women to protect me.

When I heard of Tom's passing it brought back that memory.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Former Browns Pro Bowl center Tom DeLeone dies

Link Copied to Clipboard