Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
It had all the prerequisites for World Series greatness.
It had an underdog winner, went the seven-game distance and was capped by an 11th-inning RBI single that sent a home crowd into a frenzy.

What the 1997 World Series between the Marlins and Indians didn't include, however, was a team with the words "New York," "Boston" or "Los Angeles" written on either jersey. For that reason, it has a tendency to get lost in the shuffle.

"I've said to this day," said Tigers manager Jim Leyland, who managed that '97 Marlins team, "had that been the Yankees and Mets playing, it would have gone down as one of the greatest World Series in the history of baseball. But because it was us and Cleveland, it never got the credit it deserves."

Those who were a part of it, though, know it was something special. And 10 years later, as Florida and Cleveland face each other in Interleague Play, the memories of that exciting Series linger on.

Of course, those memories are more painful for some than others.

Former Tribe closer Jose Mesa, who has been a goat in Cleveland ever since he gave up a one-run lead in the bottom of Game 7's ninth inning, wanted no part of a conversation about '97.

"I don't talk about that team," Mesa said, shortly before his recent release by the Tigers. "That's in the past."

The past still haunts Indians fans, who have been waiting patiently since 1948 for their home club to bring them a World Series title. Ironically enough, Leyland was once one of those long-suffering fans, and he knew, coming into the Series, that he could lend a hand in extending that misery.

"I grew up down the road [in Perrysburg, Ohio] as a Cleveland fan," Leyland said. "So I kind of had mixed emotions. I was glad the Indians got in, but I was sure hoping they didn't win it."

The Indians, who went 86-75 during the regular season and bounced the vaunted Yankees and the Orioles in the playoffs, certainly had the pieces to win it. Their lineup featured the likes of David Justice, Matt Williams, Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez, Omar Vizquel and Sandy Alomar Jr., and their pitching staff blended the experience of Orel Hershiser with the up-and-coming talent of Jaret Wright.

And having reached the Series two years earlier and fallen short, Mike Hargrove's club was an especially hungry bunch.

"The '95 team was probably a stronger team," Hargrove said, "but I think the '97 team was a gutsier team. It was more of a grinder-type team. It was a real enjoyable team to be around and manage and watch play and probably the team I got the most satisfaction out of."

That's not to say the Marlins, in just their fifth season of existence, weren't pretty hungry themselves. Sure, it was a Wild Card team, but it was nonetheless a team that won 92 games in the regular season, swept the Giants in the National League Division Series and beat the Braves in the NL Championship Series.

"By the end of the regular season," Leyland said, "I felt we were the best team in the National League."

The Marlins wasted no time taking advantage of their home-field advantage at Pro Player Stadium, beating up Hershiser for four fourth-inning runs, en route to a 7-4 victory in Game 1.

But the Indians set the tone for what would be a back-and-forth affair with a 6-1 win in Game 2, and the Series shifted from sunny Miami to wintry Cleveland. Game 3 at Jacobs Field featured one of the more bizarre ninth innings in Series history, as the Marlins scored seven runs in the top of the inning to go up 14-7, then fended off the Indians, who put up four runs in their final at-bat.

Ask players from either team what they remember most about the '97 Series, aside from Game 7, and inevitably they'll point to Game 4, if only for the fact that it featured a veritable blizzard during batting practice and a first-pitch temperature of 38 degrees -- a record low for the Series.

"I remember being out there shagging for batting practice," former Indians reliever Brian Anderson said. "I had a hard time seeing home plate because of the snow."

Recalled Leyland: "They were playing 'Jingle Bells' out there during BP."

Behind a strong performance from Wright, the Indians rung the Marlins' bell with a 10-3 victory. But in Game 5, the veteran Hershiser was outpitched by 22-year-old Livan Hernandez, who would go on to win the Series MVP, and the Marlins grabbed an 8-7 win.

Back in Florida for Game 6, the Indians were on the verge of elimination, but they took a 4-1 lead. In the sixth, reliever Mike Jackson was on the hill with two Marlins runners in scoring position. Charles Johnson hit a ground ball to Vizquel's far left, and the shortstop dove, caught it and threw a perfect strike to first to get the final out of the inning and end the threat.

If not for that memorable play, who knows if Game 7 would have happened?

"It's one of the proudest moments in my career," said Vizquel, now with the Giants. "Not only because we got to play Game 7, which is the most exciting thing that can happen to you. But with all the pressure, when you make a play like that and look back, I can't believe I made that play in that situation."

Game 7 was one for the ages. Tony Fernandez's two-run single off Al Leiter gave the Tribe a 2-0 lead in the third, but Bobby Bonilla's solo homer off Wright in the seventh cut that lead in half.

The 2-1 lead was the one handed to Mesa in the ninth. Famously, he couldn't preserve it.

Moises Alou led off the bottom of the ninth with a single, and one out later, he moved to third on Johnson's single to right.

The Indians were two outs away from glory, the Marlins two outs from misery. The championship trophy had already been wheeled into the visitor's clubhouse. In the home dugout, Florida outfielder Jeff Conine couldn't even bear to look at the field.

"That's the tensest moment of your life," said Conine, now with the Reds. "I had to watch it on a TV monitor, because I couldn't stand watching it [in person]."

Conine should have watched. He would have been relieved to see Craig Counsell send a sacrifice fly to right, sending the game to extras.

For the Indians, Mesa's performance was no relief at all.

"It was like a stab right in your heart," recalled Vizquel, who to this day is embroiled in a feud with Mesa over the shortstop's comments about Game 7 in his autobiography.

The Marlins clearly had the momentum, though the Indians did have a chance to take a lead in the 10th. Alomar was on third with one out and the infield drawn in, and Marquis Grissom hit a grounder to shortstop Edgar Renteria, who fired the ball home to nab a streaking Alomar.

The Indians would pay for that missed opportunity an inning later. Hargrove inserted Nagy as a reliever, and a one-out single from Bonilla got the decisive 11th going. When Counsell hit a grounder to second, Fernandez couldn't get his glove on the ball. The error was just as costly as anything Mesa did, because it put runners on the corners.

Nagy had no choice but to intentionally walk Jim Eisenreich to load the bases, but he got the second out by getting Devon White to hit into a 4-2 force play.

Up came Renteria, who had been a clutch performer for the Marlins all season. He buckled at Nagy's first-pitch slider.

"I think [Renteria] set Nagy up," Leyland said. "He jumped back at the first pitch. I think he was really looking for it again on the second pitch. He never admitted that to me, but I think he did."

It seems a bit preposterous that Renteria could have had such foresight, but he nonetheless backed up Leyland's claim.

"Yeah, I knew if I flinched at the first one, he would throw me another one," said Renteria, now with the Braves. "He'd thrown it to me earlier in the Series, and I went up there expecting to see it."

He saw it, and he lined that second pitch over Nagy's head. The ball ricocheted off Nagy's extended glove and into center field, and Counsell ran home with his fists pumping in the air.

The Marlins were champs.

"I still think about it all the time," Renteria said. "It's something that you dream about."

Florida lived the dream again in 2003 with a World Series win over the Yankees. And the Indians? Well, they're still waiting to get back.

Leyland, meanwhile, is waiting for the '97 Series -- and Game 7, in particular -- to get the credit it's due.

"It was one of the great games of baseball, in my opinion," Leyland said. "But it never got the recognition it deserves and never will."

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/ar...sp&c_id=cle

----------------------------------

I hate the Marlins.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
GO TRIBE!

I'll be watching until 9:00...since there's nothing else to do..

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Gutierrez starting in center for Sizemore this evening and leading off...

[color:"green"] "World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Please talk amongst yourselves." Get Fuzzy[/color]
Legend
Legend
Either just a Plain Jane Day Off, or a leadership move that sends a message. He's missed on a few opportunities the last few days (at the plate) that you really wanted him to come through on.

But he's definitely your everyday centerfielder,...period. So I'm betting on a day off.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Tribe down 3-0 in the 8th. However, Justin Verlander has the game which shall not be mentioned going on into the 9th inning right now. Just an FYI.

[color:"green"] "World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Please talk amongst yourselves." Get Fuzzy[/color]
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Scot Olsen and Fasuta both looked VERY sharp today.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

Tribe down 3-0 in the 8th. However, Justin Verlander has the game which shall not be mentioned going on into the 9th inning right now. Just an FYI.

Verlander GOT the no-hitter! Not a Kitties fan, but congrats!

[Linked Image from media.scout.com]
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

i always root for the no-no... regardless of the team

i was even hoping buehrle got his, even though i hate his guts

it's just too awesome to see, i hope i can see one in person one day

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Someone posed an interesting question on another site. Besides Don Larsen & this, have there been any other no-hitter's in interleague play?

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

This was a dominant performance, but I think no-hitters are over-rated. To me, they're just a fun statistical anomaly like a "hitting for the cycle." Justin had 4 walks, which is the same as 4 singles. Wouldn't you take a boring "2-hitter" with no walks over that? I would.

[Linked Image from damontech.net]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Damn Tribe can't BUY a run! Trailing 3-0 in the 4th.

Legend
Legend
They're in a slump ... that's for sure.

Oh well .... get it out of their systems now.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Tribe ties it 3-3 (still batting) in the 6th. Is anybody watching this? I'm watching on ESPN.com. The Marlins changed pitchers & their pitcher, Tankersley, was up 0-2 in the count on Sizemore and then he got ejected? Aaron Boone got tossed soon after. Why did the pitcher get tossed/

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Dellucci's starting to come around, I've noticed.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
He hit Sizemore after warnings were issued. He hit him on the top of the shoulder and the ump ruled that it was intentional and ejected Tankersley and Gonzales, the manager. They argued (asking why would he intentionally hit a guy on an 0-2 count), and during the argument Boone stepped in to listen. He turned away and said that's BS and the ump threw him out. Bad umping...

Dellucci with a 3-run HR, Tribe up 6-3. 'Bout time.

M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Cliff Lee threw an inside pitch at Cabrera and hit him and the umpire then issued a warning to both benches.I don't believe Tankersley deliberately threw at Sizemore...it was kind of bush league umpiring,at best.

Dellucci just hit a three run homer to give the Tribe a 6-3 lead.

"My opinions and feelings are mine and shall not be influenced by anyone....especially liberals."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Nice play by Rouse and Martinez to save a run there at the plate.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He threw at Cabrera twice on purpose.

M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Quote:

He threw at Cabrera twice on purpose.

The send time,maybe.I don't know about the first.

"My opinions and feelings are mine and shall not be influenced by anyone....especially liberals."
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Tribe ties it 3-3 (still batting) in the 6th. Is anybody watching this? I'm watching on ESPN.com. The Marlins changed pitchers & their pitcher, Tankersley, was up 0-2 in the count on Sizemore and then he got ejected? Aaron Boone got tossed soon after. Why did the pitcher get tossed/

I was watching! Until my internet crapped out again in the 4th inning.

The game thankfully is on local TV in Florida tonight so I don't have to deal with the stupid internet...

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I may take a road trip tonight down to South Florida to catch the game...

I want the Cleveland Browns to be my pallbearers so they can let me down for the last time.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Jason Stanford to start......Yea, I know, WHO?

--------------------------------

Earned, unearned, burned, churned, spurned. The Indians don't care how the runs come, just that more do as they attempt to take their rubber match with the Marlins at 7:05 p.m. ET on Thursday.
Cleveland snapped a string of 14 1/3 straight scoreless innings with six runs (five unearned) in the sixth inning on Wednesday night. But while a comedy of errors helped give the Tribe that opening, it took key hits like David Dellucci's tiebreaking three-run homer to capitalize -- a sign that Cleveland may be emerging from its offensive funk.

"Just because an opportunity comes up doesn't mean you always take advantage of it," Indians manager Eric Wedge said after Wednesday's game. "Tonight, we did."

The Indians will call on left-hander Jason Stanford, who will be promoted from Triple-A Buffalo to make Thursday's start in place of the recently demoted Jeremy Sowers. Stanford hasn't appeared in the big leagues since 2004.

He'll have the task of facing Dontrelle Willis, who has notched a team-high seven victories and has lasted at least six innings in all but one of his 14 starts this season.

Pitching matchup
CLE: LHP Jason Stanford (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
Wedge finally tipped his hand on Wednesday, announcing that Stanford will start for the Tribe in their finale with the Marlins. Stanford, who was 4-1 with a 3.41 ERA Buffalo this season, has some pro experience -- he made 15 appearances (10 starts) for the Indians in 2003 and '04, going 1-4 with a 3.10 ERA. The problem is that Stanford is out of Major League options, so his status after this start is up in the air.

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/ar...sp&c_id=cle

U
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
U
Does anyone know what the deal with Adam Miller is? Is he injured?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
something about an injury to his throwing hand. they did not specify, but it sounds somewhere along the lines of a blister.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Miller has a strained flexor tendon in his right middle finger. He could probably pitch if absolutely needed, but they are being very cautious with him and working him back slowly. He's supposed to get his first start back in about a week from now. He'll be fine, they are just being extra cautious due to his status as the top prospect in the organization.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Miller has a strained flexor tendon in his right middle finger.

That's pretty much like a blister right?

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
GO TRIBE!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Stanford up, Matt Miller back to Buffalo per the Tribe website...

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Tribe up 1-0 on a V-Mart blast

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
2-0 Tribe...bottom of the 3rd. Tigers also lost today.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I just noticed the game is being shown on local television here in the Tampa area..............I will not be watching!

[Linked Image from i96.photobucket.com]

GO BROWNS!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I wouldn't watch that broadcast if you're a Tribe fan. Tonight is the Marlins' 10-year celebration of the 1997 World Series title. One of my friends who lives in Florida just called me saying that he had to turn his TV off with as much as they were covering it and showing "highlights" of the series. Blech...

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
This Stanford kid has looked tough so far. Three hits & 6 K's in five innings.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Tribe up 3-0 heading to the bottom of the 6th...

U
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
U
Great start by Stanford!

3-1 in the top of the 8th.

1st String
1st String
Tribe wins 3-2!

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

This Stanford kid has looked tough so far. Three hits & 6 K's in five innings.

He looked real good last night. It's always nice to know that you have a guy you can count on to make start or two until somebody gets back..

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Indians vs. Marlins Series Thread

Link Copied to Clipboard