Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1156172 09/17/16 06:19 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
My dog passed this past Friday night. I had to take her to the vet to be put down. This was the last of a family of 3 Pomeranians, but none were actually related. She was a Tea Cup Pomeranian, and was only 4 pounds.

Her official name was Sable, due to the softness of her hair (Poms have hair, not fur), and we called her by several names. Sable, Boo Boo, Boo, Bubbles, Bubby, Esmerelda(when she was bad). I nick named her Bubbles, as that was her personality.

This was the dog in the stories that I've told that attacked and ran off a Doberman from my back yard, attacked the Direct TV guy when he got to close to my wife, and attacked the exterminator every time she left the house. If they would have backed out of the room, possibly given a little bow, she would not have attacked, as she hated the backs of ankles.

I am posting a picture of her and me, as she would hide under my chin when we first got her, and I was the only adult male she ever allowed to touch her, other than my future son in law, and he spent 3 patient years to get the opportunity to pet her. She lived to be 17 years old.

Yes, that is me, and I already know I'm kinda ugly, so don't bother telling me, but feel free to comment on my pretty dog. I am really not looking for sympathy, as I know the eventual price that is paid for owning a pet. I am currently looking for our next bundle of fur to love.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
ErikInHell #1156174 09/17/16 06:26 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
My condolences. It can be really devestating to lose a beloved pet. I was crushed when my dog died. Just keep the good memories close to your heart. 17 years is a ripe old age, she was obviously very well cared for and loved much.

No Craps Given
ErikInHell #1156175 09/17/16 06:27 PM
Legend
Legend
sorry erik. my thoughts with you guys. that's a tough day

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
ErikInHell #1156178 09/17/16 06:34 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Cute dog. You can tell even early on she liked you. I've been through this before, it sucks, but try to look at the bright side of things and all the happy times you gave each other.

ErikInHell #1156181 09/17/16 06:39 PM
Legend
Legend
Sorry for your loss Eric.

Nice Pic...

A Dog and his Dawg.

ErikInHell #1156195 09/17/16 06:54 PM
Legend
Legend
I feel for you, brother.

4 of the darkest days in my life were for the same reason as this touching memorial, so I know what you're feeling. It's never easy.

She was a beautiful little gal.
My condolences- from the heart.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Clemdawg #1156218 09/17/16 07:58 PM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
My thoughts and prayers Erik. Been through this many a times but have so many cherished memories my heart is full.

#gmstrong
ErikInHell #1156229 09/17/16 08:25 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
Definitely tough to put a pet down. I know, all too well, as does any pet owner.

Too many cats, dogs. Heck, about 5 years ago or so, I had to bury a cat that I couldn't stand. And it couldn't stand any single human other than my daughter. I prepared a speech for the burial, and I couldn't even get through it. (it's given name was Stitch. I called it something else.)

Pets I've buried:

Abby - dog.
Mo - dog. (still have a pic of her in my office)
White Kitty, AKA caspar.
Black cat - didn't have the guy long enough to give him a name - only had him long enough to get neutered. Stray that just showed up.....
Oakley - dog.
Clyde - deaf cat that just showed up. He and I were good buddies.
Jasper - cat.
Tiger - cat.
Milo - second best cat ever. The day we had her put down, I carried her around the house, to each room. And we (I) reminisced "remember what you used to do here? Remember how you'd put Sooga to sleep (my daughter) and then come down and let me know all was well for the night? Every night. Etc. Milo was a tough cat to lose.

Now, I have Sammy the cat, and Dummy the dog. And I can't stand the thought that I'll have to bury them some day.

ErikInHell #1156237 09/17/16 08:54 PM
Legend
Legend
It's as sad as losing any family member. My condolences.

#GMSTRONG
ErikInHell #1156258 09/17/16 09:10 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
So sorry about your little girl, Erik. I've made that last trip to the vet 6 times now, and it never gets any easier ... nor should it if you loved them, which you clearly did. Hang in there.

Tulsa #1156273 09/17/16 09:21 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
It's as sad as losing any family member. My condolences.

Damn right it is, I've never cried like I have when my dog died.
Erik, sorry for the loss, I know how it feels, man. 17 years is a long time for a dog, take solace in that. And get another dog soon, thats what the little Pomeranian would want, I bet.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Cjrae #1156375 09/17/16 11:04 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Cjrae
My thoughts and prayers Erik. Been through this many a times but have so many cherished memories my heart is full.

That really is how it works, isn't it?

thumbsup

ErikInHell #1156380 09/17/16 11:10 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sorry Erik, dogs are way better than people.

I just brought home some kind of pit mix puppy. We are guessing he is about 6 months. Just the sweetest boy ever/ Have onl had him for three days but he has everyones heart already. Even my GF who doesnt like dogs and had bought into the hype about pits. Hes just a little pocket pit, has big ole ears that almost look like a French Bulldog.

The sad thing is someone decided they didnt want him anymore and tied him with a short leash in an alley down in Canton and left him there to die. I just dont get it. When I found out I didnt tell my GF and I just went and got him and brought him home. She was mad ,, but she got over it quick

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
ErikInHell #1156407 09/17/16 11:43 PM
Legend
Legend
My condolences. I know how hard it is losing such great little friends and family members.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
ErikInHell #1156412 09/17/16 11:52 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Sorry man. Been there before. We had a beagle for 14 years and one day he had a seizure that last forever. We had to make the humane decision to put him down.

We now have two setters who I hike with everyday. During the work week I get up at 5am and take them for 2-3 mile hikes before work, after work we do another mile+. On weekends we do 5+ a day. All off leash so they can do what they were bred to do...run and flush the birds out of the brush (I don't hunt I let them do their thing but, it gives me good exercise too). Today it was pouring and it didn't stop us. I was out at 8am in the pouring rain letting them run. Rain, sleet, sun or snow...we are out together. They are 3 and I can't even imagine that terrible day when they are no longer with me. Doesn't bare thinking about.

kingodawg #1156416 09/17/16 11:58 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
When I found out I didnt tell my GF and I just went and got him and brought him home.

It was a gut/heart decision that you'll never regret, kingo. Acts of charity and compassion such as this are repaid tenfold.

These animals have an almost limitless ability to overcome abuse, trauma and mistreatment. They also have a limitless capacity for devotion, loyalty, protection and affection. And all it takes is some water, some kibble, a job to do- and a loving, safe environment.

I have my own views on human beings who treat defenseless animals in this way, but this thread is neither the time nor appropriate forum for such thoughts. Tonight is about Family.

To Erik: It took us almost 4 years to adopt another after Tillie was gone. My wife was the strong one this time. I didn't think I was ready, but she dragged me to the Humane Society one Saturday. She was right to push. I've lived with only a handful of regrets, but going that long without a canine presence in the house is one I'll live with until I'm gone. Dogs set a daily example that makes us better people.

If/when you do, it will be different. No other dog will ever take her place, which is only right and proper. But the differences are the charm and gift of these fine creatures: each has their own unique personality, and each will bring out something special in you through their individuality.

Thoughts and sympathies tonight,
c.

ErikInHell #1156423 09/18/16 12:14 AM
Legend
Legend
My best friend of almost 40 years has had a ton of problems in his life of late, with a couple of strokes, almost committing suicide, and other issues. He and his wife had a dog, and that dog was his lifeline during a lot of hard times. The dog had died, unexpectedly a couple of years ago. M buddy was crushed, and he didn;t want anything to do with getting another dog. Finally, his wife told him that they were going to get a dog, He protested, but fortunately, she is a very strong woman, and she won out. They got a pup, and he really forces my buddy to do things again ... taking him out, and so forth. He loves the new dog, too .... even though he "complains" sometimes.

Dogs are such great therapy. My dog forces me to take him out, which forces me to use my legs more than I would otherwise do.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
PDXBrownsFan #1156431 09/18/16 12:29 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
Sorry man. Been there before. We had a beagle for 14 years and one day he had a seizure that last forever. We had to make the humane decision to put him down.

We now have two setters who I hike with everyday. During the work week I get up at 5am and take them for 2-3 mile hikes before work, after work we do another mile+. On weekends we do 5+ a day. All off leash so they can do what they were bred to do...run and flush the birds out of the brush (I don't hunt I let them do their thing but, it gives me good exercise too). Today it was pouring and it didn't stop us. I was out at 8am in the pouring rain letting them run. Rain, sleet, sun or snow...we are out together. They are 3 and I can't even imagine that terrible day when they are no longer with me. Doesn't bare thinking about.

Watching a good bird dog do their thing is a beautiful site to watch, Too watch one quiver in excitement as they hold a point just gives me goosebumps. Dogs, breed development, and hereditary instincts are so fascinating to me.

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
ErikInHell #1156451 09/18/16 01:30 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
What an adorable Pomeranian, looks like a little Fox. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

ErikInHell #1156527 09/18/16 10:28 AM
Legend
Legend
Dogs are awesome. Sorry for your loss.

ErikInHell #1156542 09/18/16 11:09 AM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
The things you miss:

About 3 years ago, Bubbles started refusing to go up and down the stairs. It's not that she couldn't, she just saw the opportunity to be carried and had me carry her up and down every morning and night. I actually miss that now.

BTW, for anyone that needs one, this dog was a major chick magnet. My wife and I used to walk on the beach with me carrying her most of the time, and my wife would get amused by the young girls that would come over to pet her. It amused my wife to see how uncomfortable I'd get with several 16-21 year old girls around me in bikinis, as I could never figure out where to put my eyes. If you're single and looking for a girl, get one of these dogs. Claim it's a stray or given to you so no one thinks your gay. It takes a manly man to carry around a poofter dog.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
ErikInHell #1156544 09/18/16 11:13 AM
Legend
Legend
Sorry to hear about your dog.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
ErikInHell #1156558 09/18/16 11:29 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Sorry to hear that, Erik.

The relationship between a dog and his/her owner can be a beautiful thing. They always can sense our mood and are there for us every step of the way.

I'm sure it's a tough time for you now, but I bet you'll cherish all the great memories that Boo brought to you.

kingodawg #1158157 09/18/16 09:46 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: kingodawg
Watching a good bird dog do their thing is a beautiful site to watch, Too watch one quiver in excitement as they hold a point just gives me goosebumps. Dogs, breed development, and hereditary instincts are so fascinating to me.

Totally agree. I love to watch them run but, when they see the low lying birds in the brush and they go into stealth, point and "set" mode it is so, flippin' awesome.

ErikInHell #1158166 09/18/16 10:10 PM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
may you find comfort in this really hard time.
putting pets down are the hardest thing to do

ErikInHell #1158287 09/19/16 08:07 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
There some moments when I look at my two cats and know that sooner or later, they won't be with me.

I'm very sorry about your loss. I'm a big animal person and I'm extremely attached to my two cats. They mean a great deal to me. It'll crush me when they leave me, but that better not be until way way WAY into the future.

ErikInHell #1158320 09/19/16 09:02 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell
The things you miss:

About 3 years ago, Bubbles started refusing to go up and down the stairs. It's not that she couldn't, she just saw the opportunity to be carried and had me carry her up and down every morning and night. I actually miss that now.

BTW, for anyone that needs one, this dog was a major chick magnet. My wife and I used to walk on the beach with me carrying her most of the time, and my wife would get amused by the young girls that would come over to pet her. It amused my wife to see how uncomfortable I'd get with several 16-21 year old girls around me in bikinis, as I could never figure out where to put my eyes. If you're single and looking for a girl, get one of these dogs. Claim it's a stray or given to you so no one thinks your gay. It takes a manly man to carry around a poofter dog.

Yep, you're right.

I have a friend who I don't see much anymore at all, but a few years ago we used to walk our dogs at North Chagrin Reservation (aka Willoughby Metropark). His dog weighs about 10 pounds, fully grown. My parent's dog, who I walk every day, is a 110 pound German Shepherd. Girls always want to pet his dog, but my parent's dog? Nope! They stand clear and usually get out of my way. Such is life sometimes! mad laugh

ErikInHell #1158795 09/20/16 03:30 AM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I have had some great pets over the years. I've had cats and dogs. Loved em both but 2 of the dogs when they had to go made me cry like a baby. It doesn't make you less of a man to show your grief when you lose something you love.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
3rd_and_20 #1158808 09/20/16 05:32 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell
The things you miss:

Yep, you're right.

I have a friend who I don't see much anymore at all, but a few years ago we used to walk our dogs at North Chagrin Reservation (aka Willoughby Metropark). His dog weighs about 10 pounds, fully grown. My parent's dog, who I walk every day, is a 110 pound German Shepherd. Girls always want to pet his dog, but my parent's dog? Nope! They stand clear and usually get out of my way. Such is life sometimes! mad laugh

nice pic!

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
ErikInHell #1158817 09/20/16 06:44 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Sorry to hear that Eric. They sure do bring a lot of joy to our life. In the end that will outweigh the pain you feel today.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
ErikInHell #1159059 09/20/16 07:23 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
so sorry man :\

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... My Dog

Link Copied to Clipboard