Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Saw this tweet and thought it was interesting that the Seahawks have done so much with what they have on offense considering the dynamic of the image above.

This thread could go a number of directions, so refs if you see it better in a different thread, feel free to move it.

I specifically put this in the NFL Draft section to get people's philosophy on drafting and building a good team. I personally would like to push the point of drafting defensive playmakers, and draft a lot of them. I think our FO did a good job bringing in Ogbah and Nassib in last year's draft. Now its time to get a true dynamic pass rusher in Garrett (or Allen for those who like him) and also add two safeties who could possibly lead this defense for years to come. Get the guys who can truly make a difference in how an offense game plans, and get them out of their element. Keep them from sticking to the basics. When we get a defense that can do that, I think our wins vs losses percentage will finally change.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Avril was a free agent, Bennett was a free agent, Wagner was a second round pick, Sherman was a 5th round pick, Chancellor was a fifth round pick. Earl Thomas was a first round pick.

The Seahawks hit on a bunch of guys late in the draft.

They also drafted an offensive linemen in the first round in 2016, he just doesn't play. Jimmy Graham was a third round pick, but they traded a ton to get him. Earlier they traded a first round pick for Percy Harvin.

They invest in offense, but they also hit on a bunch of guys late and as UDFAs and then developed them.

Developing talent in house is what the Seahawks do best.

P
Legend
Legend
P
When your cupboards are bare you draft BPA. When you try to focus on one side of the ball you end up getting lesser players of value when you need them everywhere. You focus on getting the best players available when you need help everywhere.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
When your cupboards are bare you draft BPA. When you try to focus on one side of the ball you end up getting lesser players of value when you need them everywhere. You focus on getting the best players available when you need help everywhere.

I agree with that.That said, players usually fall in groupings. Taking any player in that group is pretty much the same as taking someone else inside that group, especially once you get past maybe the top 5-6 players. The guys who really stand out.

In that way, you can try to impact one side of the ball or the other and still go by BPA and not be viewed as reaching. So in that vein, I agree with Turk. I would really like to get a knockout D on the field.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
They also drafted an offensive linemen in the first round in 2016, he just doesn't play. Jimmy Graham was a third round pick, but they traded a ton to get him. Earlier they traded a first round pick for Percy Harvin.

They invest in offense, but they also hit on a bunch of guys late and as UDFAs and then developed them.

Developing talent in house is what the Seahawks do best.

The same draft (2011) that they picked KJ Wright, Richard Sherman, and Byron Maxwell, their first two picks (1st and 3rd round) were offensive linemen.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't really disagree with you in theory. I just believe that this draft is so D heavy, that early in this draft, you would have more trouble finding BPA on the O side of the ball until later in the first or second round. So while I don't believe you should focus on one side of the ball, I do believe there is better talent going with D.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft Build the Defense First; Seahawks Playoff Offensive Starters

Link Copied to Clipboard