Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...53-56374959f05e

Josh Cribbs had any of number highlight-reel moments to identify as his favorite memory in a Browns uniform. There were more than plenty over his eight seasons in Cleveland.

Instead, one of the best kick returners in NFL history remembered the moments in the locker room, the smells, the friendships as he reflected on a 10-year career that effectively ended in 2014 but officially came to a close this week.

Cribbs, who owns 11 Browns return records and sits in a tie for first with the most kickoff return touchdowns in NFL history, made his retirement official Wednesday.

“Knowing the legacy I left behind playing in the NFL, playing for the Browns, it was kind of a difficult pill to swallow. Even when I played at my worst, I was still capable to play better than some guys that were at 100 percent,” Cribbs said. “Wanting to step out there on the field every time I see the Browns play, not being able to go to the games because it was almost excruciating to not be out there, it's as though I finally came to terms with letting myself understand, letting myself know that this time has passed.

“I had a great run that I had nothing to be ashamed about or look down on. I felt like I have nothing but great memories in playing in the NFL. I can now look myself in the mirror and say I'm done.”

Undrafted out of Kent State, Cribbs -- a star, dual-threat quarterback with the Golden Flashes -- defied the odds when he made the 2005 roster. He quickly found his niche on special teams, both on coverage units and kickoff returns, and notched his first of eight kickoff return touchdowns when he took one back 90 yards in an Oct. 23, 2005, loss to the Lions.

It only foreshadowed what was to come.

“I was definitely not confident I would make this team and thrive like I did. I just was confident I was going to give it my best ability,” Cribbs said. “I was confident that if I had to walk away, if I was forced to walk away, I would be able to look myself in the mirror and say I did everything in my power necessary to allow this dream to come true.”

By 2007, Cribbs was handling punt and kickoff return duties, combining for 2,214 yards and three touchdowns in his first of three Pro Bowl seasons. He set a career high with three kickoff return touchdowns in 2009, another Pro Bowl season that also saw Cribbs’ role on offense significantly expand. In a Dec. 20 win at Kansas City that season, Cribbs tied an NFL record with two kickoff return touchdowns, both of which going for more than 100 yards.

Cribbs was named as one of two kickoff returners on the NFL’s All-Decade Team for the 2000s, but his production continued into the 2010s. In 2012, Cribbs made his final Pro Bowl appearance after registering a combined 1,722 all-purpose yards.

Cribbs, who spent eight years in Cleveland, amassed 1,175 receiving yards, 808 rushing yards and nine touchdowns as a jack-of-all trades weapon on offense. He also led the team in special teams tackles four times and totaled 125 special-teams tackles with the Browns.

Cribbs finished his career tied for third in NFL history with 13,488 career return yards, third in kickoff return yards (11,113) and fifth in career return touchdowns (11).

“It means a lot and confirms to me that not only did I make the NFL, but I exceeded that. I was the best at what I did. The records were confirmation for me and still is confirmation,” Cribbs said. “When people mention the best of the best in returners, they mention my name and that's good enough for me. To have my jersey in the Hall of Fame is good enough for me. To have played with some of the best talent in the world, to step on the field with some of the best athletes in the world, that's good enough for me.

“I'm at peace in my soul that my NFL career was a great success.”

Though Cribbs’ final game as a Brown came at the close of the 2012 season, he made one last appearance at FirstEnergy Stadium in 2014 as a member of the Colts. The moment wasn’t lost on Cribbs, who credits Browns fans as the reason why he continues to reside in the Cleveland area and is proud to raise his children here. He’s got his hands in a number of roles and is working to obtain his M.B.A. a stone’s throw away from the Browns’ facility in Berea at Baldwin Wallace University.

“Had the fans not been so great, I would have easily made the decision to move back east to D.C. or move to another location in a warmer climate,” Cribbs said. “That experience, the fan base, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

“There's a lot of good fan bases in the country, but none like the Browns.”

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I keep looking for details, but haven't found them. Did the Browns sign him to a 1 day contract to allow him to retire as a Brown? Or was he able to just declare himself retired as a Brown?

edited to add; NM, I found it, he was signed to a 1-day contract on 3/22.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
one of my favorite browns since 99 ... some Sundays he was literally the only reason to watch. I remember thinking when the other team scored ... well, at least Cribbs gets to return now

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
One of my favs of all time dude could flat out motor.

For your viewing pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-UIxnDgCg4

wouldn't let me post it so just click it

Last edited by Spawn1; 03/24/17 06:39 AM.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Thank you Josh...for giving us some entertainment and hope to us Brown's fans at a time when we were in darkness.

Best of luck in your retirement and I hope you save up for your future!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Used to love watching Cribbs play. Came a long way and proved quite a few skeptics wrong by showing he could play in this league.... Good for him....And thanks....

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
put that #16 into the RoH

(it deserves to be there as a bright spot for the post 99 browns - maybe next season we can pick up some brown duct tape and the fans can put him in)

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
I keep looking for details, but haven't found them. Did the Browns sign him to a 1 day contract to allow him to retire as a Brown? Or was he able to just declare himself retired as a Brown?

edited to add; NM, I found it, he was signed to a 1-day contract on 3/22.

I genuinely hope they gave him a couple bucks for that one day too cause the memories sure are priceless!

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like Josh and all but it's pathetic how we have been so bad that a special teams ace is a beloved figure. I mean it's seriously pathetic and I put 100% of that blame on ownership and not the fans. He's the ONE mainstay we've had in 20 years......pathetic.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: BpG
I like Josh and all but it's pathetic how we have been so bad that a special teams ace is a beloved figure. I mean it's seriously pathetic and I put 100% of that blame on ownership and not the fans. He's the ONE mainstay we've had in 20 years......pathetic.

I agree but let's not forget Joe Thomas ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
V
Legend
Legend
V
My son had bought me a plaque of Brown's All Time Greats a couple of years ago. I have it on the wall in my office next to my desk.

I was looking at it today and was wondering just where Joe would rank on that list??????

Probably 3rd. Maybe 2nd.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Love watching this guy play, his returns and time on the field were electric. One of my favorites and I have his jersey an autographed picture from when I worked at a sports shop.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Josh was one of the reasons we did so well in 07. He got us such good field position (if he didn't score) that we were likely to have an offensive touchdown anyway.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Without a doubt, Josh Cribbs was one of the best players to wear a Browns uniform since '99.
I only wish they would have given him a legitimate shot as a DB. The position, like many was and has been a consistent weakness for years. No doubt in my mind that he would have been a very productive player in that role.

On top of his on field accolades, the man is an outstanding person, that many young kids can look up to as a positive role model.

Legend
Legend
the sad thing was rooting for the other team to score so i could watch him return kickoffs ... it was that depressing lol

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
yep.

We had precious little else to look forward to.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Who was the Last Cleveland Browns WR to score a TD in the NFL Pro Bowl game

JOSH CRIBBS

I could be wrong but I believe he is the ONLY Browns player to score a TD in the Pro Bowl game since 1999

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Did Alex Mack score on a recovered fumble in the Pro Bowl a few years back, or was that a dream I had?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Dave
Did Alex Mack score on a recovered fumble in the Pro Bowl a few years back, or was that a dream I had?

D
Legend
Legend
D
That was reminiscent of Bo Jackson in terms of power and pure speed, but I could have done without the plumber's crack at the end when he almost lost his pants.

V
Legend
Legend
V
rofl

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
That was reminiscent of Bo Jackson in terms of power and pure speed, but I could have done without the plumber's crack at the end when he almost lost his pants.
lol i forgot about that

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Who was the Last Cleveland Browns WR to score a TD in the NFL Pro Bowl game

As I asked who was the last WR

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Josh Cribbs Retirement (Nice Read)

Link Copied to Clipboard