Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1266574 04/29/17 11:37 AM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A FS with range is probably our most pressing need now.

The only guy I see left that can fill that role and start day 1 is Desmond King, but we would have to trade up to the top of round 4 to go get him.

Who else does everyone have?
Please don't post strong safeties or guys that aren't center fielders.

Last edited by DeputyDawg; 04/29/17 11:52 AM.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Desmond King is the #1 candidate for me.
You also have:
Tedric Thompson, Colorado - 6-0
David Jones, Richmond - 6-3

Not sure of anyone else. Kai Nacua, Brigham Young, is intriguing at 6-2.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
NONE.

Look to June 1 cuts or go with Reynolds/Powell.

Gimee Switzer at 145 and a Corner.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Doesn't look like much unless we trade up and my friend said Desmond King is probably the best free roaming safety left.

It's a pressing need IMO. What good is a front seven if the secondary is going to be weak. Let's talk turkey with another team and get it done.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I think one thing this staff has proven - they don't panic or reach. I fear my Desmond King obsession will not be fulfilled....

Take 2 CBs - Kazee, Elder, Cutrer - a few left who can actually contribute. I also like Sharpe out of Florida as a OG. Dural and a number of other decent receivers too. BPA, all the way.

Last edited by drobs; 04/29/17 12:00 PM.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: drobs
I think one thing this staff has proven - they don't panic or reach. I fear my Desmond King obsession will not be fulfilled....

Take 2 CBs - Kazee, Elder, Cutrer - a few left who can actually contribute. I also like Sharpe out of Florida as a OG. Dural and a number of other decent receivers too. BPA, all the way.

I don't think the price tag would be too costly.

Legend
Legend
Wow last few picks have been brutal.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
Wow last few picks have been brutal.

Shuts us out basically unless we do indeed "reach" for King, and I'm not a fan of that.

Legend
Legend
This is one of the strongest and deepest DB drafts ... I wish we would have gone FS at some point.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I think CB is more important, but I don't disagree that a FS is a need. Here's the only 2 guys left I know anything about

Desmond King
Jordan Sterns (had him as SR Bowl)

I know we also had Chuck Clark in for a private workout

Regarding CB, Jalen Myrick and Brian Allen are intriguing

We had Marquez White, Dywane Thomas, Ezra Robinson, Arthur Maulet, Demontae Kazee, and Corn Elder all at SR Bowl

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Unless we were happy with Powell, Reynolds and Peppers?

Legend
Legend
It seems like we are. Add in Kindred and Campbell?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
It seems like we are. Add in Kindred and Campbell?

I'd rather have kept Poyer as a free roaming FS than any of those guys.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

What's the scouting report on Powell?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

That would mean that we really don't care if teams throw deep on us this year.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
To tell you the truth, I might start Peppers for a year at FS if these are my choices and I am Williams.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Jester

What's the scouting report on Powell?

Tyvis Powell scouting report from NFL.com ...

Tyvis Powell, S, Ohio State
6-3, 211, 4.46 Forty

Overview

Powell just seems to make big plays in big games. He intercepted Michigan's two-point attempt to win the rivalry game as a redshirt freshman in 2013, He picked off a Hail Mary attempt by Alabama in the 2014 college football semifinal, ensuring the Buckeyes could go on to win the championship – where he won Defensive MVP honors against Oregon (game-high nine tackles, pass break-up). Then he intercepted yet another pass in Ohio State’s win over Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl. After that contest, Powell (who graduated in three and a half years) decided to take his game to the NFL. He played in all 14 games in that redshirt freshman season, starting five times (48 tackles, one interception). Earning the full-time starter spot in 2014, Powell made 76 tackles, two for loss, while intercepting four passes and breaking up four others. His play as a junior merited honorable mention All-Big Ten honors from coaches and media, as he led the Buckeyes with three interceptions and made 71 tackles on the year.

Analysis

Strengths Has plus traits that lead to quality ball skills. Can run. Plays with range speed necessary to come from opposite hash and challenge the deep ball. Good leaper with high point springs. Twitch is there to break on in-­cutting routes and make a play. Has excellent hands and comes down with the interception when it is there for him. Posted seven interceptions over last two seasons. Able to track down runners turning the corner. Can get into action quickly against short, locker room and keeps things loose.

Weaknesses Despite his quality size, is not going to thump much. Waist-­bending head ducker into his tackles. Waits on running backs to get up to him rather than attacking downhill into them. Runners fall forward against him too often. Fails to make consistently squared contact as a tackler and was charged with 13 broken or missed tackles in 2015. Needs to trust his intelligence and instincts and jump more. Let deep ball responsibility get behind him when locking in on quarterback.

Draft Projection Rounds 5 or 6

Sources Tell Us "He came out because he already has his degree and probably because he knows that his job would be much tougher next year with all that talent leaving. Our game plan was to run at him and away from Vonn (Bell)." -- Big Ten offensive assistant

NFL Comparison Kendrick Lewis

Bottom Line Doesn't appear to have the necessary physicality and tackle consistency to make a living around the box so he might be pegged as a single high safety with some man cover potential. Powell has the size and athleticism, but his instincts need some work and he has to become a more physical, downhill hitter. His overall intelligence and knack for making plays at critical times won't hurt his cause.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/tyvis-powell?id=2555379

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
PLAYER OVERVIEW

Powell was honorable mention All-Big Ten and played in the Senior Bowl even though he leaves with eligibility left at Ohio State after redshirting (2012) and earning his degree in marketing in May (2015). He finished third on the Buckeyes with 71 tackles and first in interceptions (3) in 2015.
Powell is an energetic player who brings a positive charisma to the defense. Over the past two seasons he played in all 29 games, recording 124 tackles and five interceptions. His redshirt sophomore season he was named defensive MVP of the national championship game against No. 2 Oregon with a game-high nine tackles and a pass break-up in the Buckeyes' victory. He also intercepted a pass in the end zone to clinch Ohio State's 42-35 victory over then No. 1-ranked Alabama in the CFP semifinal game at the Allstate Sugar Bowl.

The Buckeyes require athletic safeties in their secondary that can play plenty of man coverage and take on the opposing team's slot receiver.

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Powell is a long, rangy safety who possesses a nice blend of size, speed and athletic ability. The tempo-setter of the defense and brings a positive energy to the defensive side of the ball and keeps his teammates loose and focused on the task. A fun-loving young man who wears his emotions on his sleeve. Excels playing deep and is aggressive in run support. Knack for making big plays in big games. In 2014, he was MVP against Oregon in national championship game and
WEAKNESSES: Does not possess ideal acceleration and may struggle facing top-notch NFL receivers. Sometime appears too long limbed and slow to get out of breaks. A hard worker and requires a lot from himself, but taking better angles to the football is imperative at the next level. His cushion closes fast, and he is forced to open his hips and lose positioning.

COMPARES TO: Bradley McDougald, Buccaneers - McDougald almost played with Powell at Ohio State. He committed to Ohio State before playing his college career at Kansas. The players are similar in their size and abilities.

IN OUR VIEW: Powell is a long, rangy safety who has all the qualities to be view as a prospect who can manage a long-term career in the NFL.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1983792/tyvis-powell

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2016/03/12/2016-nfl-draft-scouting-report-ohio-state-s-tyvis-powell/

Draftwire has a nice scouting report that doesn't cut and past well

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Biggest downside I can find is that he is a wrap and drag tackler rather than a thumper.

Guess I don't understand how he doesn't get drafted last year. And how does Seattle release him after 1 year? What am I missing?

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Sounds free safetiest to me.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
He got cut to make room for Devin Hester during their playoff run.

Legend
Legend
So basically, we currently have..

Haden - CB
Taylor - CB
BBC - CB
Peppers - "SS"

So now.. take everyone else. And figure out who your Dime Corner is.. and then throw everyone at FS and see what sticks...?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I like the UDFA Kai Nacua out of BYU. I'm hoping he can stick as the FS.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I think Tyvis Powell will play FS. Tall, good speed, good ball skills.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft Free Safeties still left?

Link Copied to Clipboard