2011 21 Phil Taylor DT Baylor
2012 3 Trent Richardson RB Alabama
22 Brandon Weeden QB Oklahoma State
2013 6 Barkevious Mingo OLB Louisiana State
2014 8 Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
22 Johnny Manziel QB Texas A&M
2015 12 Danny Shelton DT Washington
19 Cameron Erving C Florida State

I stopped at 2015 because the new FO has the picks from 2016 and 2017, so we don't know how they will do just yet.

but from 99 through 2015, we only have two players in the first round that are still on the team. Joe Thomas (2007) and Danny Shelton (2015).

that's.......man oh man, guys. Do you guys think this FO has drafted well in the first round? at least initial reactions on the players?

Does Shelton need to be close to all-pro level in order to stay next year? or is he next on the chopping block?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
It's sad that our 2nd best pick was the "NO PICK" one

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Mack and Haden were both played very well for us.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
yea wasn't that the year we didn't have a pick until round 4 or something?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Swish
yea wasn't that the year we didn't have a pick until round 4 or something?

Beau Bell baby!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Mack and Haden were both played very well for us.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
We also got Rubin out of that draft...who had more of a positive impact for the Browns than most of the people on that list.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Hence The record

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
I swear Browns fans are the most masochistic people I've ever seen. Why even rehash this? Doesn't the national sports press rub your faces in it enough? For the love God, stop this self-abuse!!

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted By: Hamfist
I swear Browns fans are the most masochistic people I've ever seen. Why even rehash this? Doesn't the national sports press rub your faces in it enough? For the love God, stop this self-abuse!!

I am Catholic and am pretty sure that would be a sin for me.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
It's Even More Depressing When You Factor In Who The Browns passed up

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
It's Even More Depressing When You Factor In Who The Browns passed up

I was going to make this point. It would be interesting to see the 4 or 5 picks made immediate after these picks. Folks like LaDanian Tomlinson etc.

I've said a few times (over the years when i decide to log in) that there are Draftniks on this board who would have consistently made better picks Rnds 1 through 7 in every damn draft class during that period. Its why in Dawgtalkers e-peen battles the defence of "well if you are the expert you'd be working for the Browns" is such a cheap and worthless point. The guys we have employed both in the FO and Coaching staff who got gigs with us is probably where to start, and ultimate responsibility there....is ownership on appointing such poor, clueless operators in those key positions.

This list shouldn't be limited to just the first round, we've drafted terribly throughout. Some of our best work has actually been in the field of UDFA which simply isn't good enough. You want success, you simply have to hit on more top draft talent than you miss on.

With causality, there are some on this list who suffered through bad luck (Courteney Brown), idiocy (Winslow, Bray Bray) and others whose careers might have been different in a different team or environment (for example, would Ngata have excelled as the disruptive run stuffing monster in the supporting cast of Cleveland, or would Wimbley have more production in THAT Baltimore Defence?) Hard to say but i'd lean to "yes" in both cases. But for the most part, we have been absolutely horrendous at drafts for a consistent and extended period of time and its probably the biggest reason as to why the Factory of Sadness has been such a thing.

Hoping that this new regime means we can put all this behind us.

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I guess I can live with the self-abuse thing for a bit longer, at least until we hit on some of our 1st rounders. The list is a mix of bad FO decisions and bad luck (it seems the percentage of each is tilting towards the former).

Don't know there is much to learn from it other than inconsistency of Vision for this team.

At any rate - of those listed: Courtney Brown was always my biggest disappointment in the rebirth era. Good guy, monster talent....body just broke down.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
1999 1 Tim Couch * QB Kentucky***** I wanted the Ditka trade (BTW we would have had the 1st and 2nd picks in the 2000 NFL draft if we did.)
2000 1 Courtney Brown * DE Penn State***** I was all in on this one but wanted us to trade down for more picks.
2001 3 Gerard Warren DT Florida ***** Again I was all in but wanted us to trade down for more picks.
2002 16 William Green RB Boston College [23] **** I really, really wanted us to trade down and thought we could still get Marc Columbo.
2003 21 Jeff Faine C Notre Dame ***** I didn't want to trade down this time. I wanted Kwame Harris or Mike Doss.
2004 6 Kellen Winslow II TE Miami (Florida) [24] ***** I was screaming for Big Ben. I was okay with KW but had a fit that we traded up 1 spot.
2005 3 Braylon Edwards WR Michigan ***** I was all in for Braylon Edwards.
2006 13 Kamerion Wimbley LB Florida State [25] ***** Wanted Ngata,
2007 3 Joe Thomas OT Wisconsin [26]
22 Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame [27] ***** Wanted Joe Thomas all the way, but cheered when we traded up and got Quinn.
2008 — No Pick — — [27] ***** LOL I was all about Beau Bell.
2009 21 Alex Mack C California [28]
***** I wanted BJ Raji, but was quite happy that we traded down and wound up with Mack.
2010 7 Joe Haden CB Florida ***** I wanted Eric Berry. I was fine that we got Haden.
2011 21 Phil Taylor DT Baylor ***** I wanted Prince Amukamura and thought Julio Jones was a workout warrior. I was happier than most when we traded down and got Taylor.
2012 3 Trent Richardson RB Alabama
22 Brandon Weeden QB Oklahoma State ***** I thought we drafted the surest thing since Peyton Manning with Richardson. I wanted Jonathon Martin with the 2nd pick.
2013 6 Barkevious Mingo OLB Louisiana State ***** I thought Jonathan Cooper was a lock for the Hall of Fame.
2014 8 Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
22 Johnny Manziel QB Texas A&M ***** I wanted Watkins, but was fine that we traded down and got Gilbert. I was at BW3 watching the draft with my brother and almost choked on a chicken wing when we traded back up for JFF. I was higher on both Bridgewater and Carr and both of them were still there.
2015 12 Danny Shelton DT Washington
19 Cameron Erving C Florida State ***** Danny Shelton was a no-brainer. I was fine with Erving but wanted DJ Humphries.
2016 Corey Coleman ***** I wanted Buckner. I was fine when we traded down, though I thought we were getting Docston. I was really hoping we were going to trade down again and get Paxton Lynch.
2017 Myles Garrett ***** If we didn't draft Garrett, I would have went postal. I wanted Hooker but was okay with the trade down for Peppers. I was okay with the trade up for Njoku, but would have been just as happy if we stayed put and got another DB.

V
Legend
Legend
V

Self-abuse? None of us made the picks. The Browns made the picks.

No one is talking about you. No one is talking about your mother. They're talking about some dumb football team. Get real.

D
Legend
Legend
D
This thread is something you stay away from early in the mornings lol... that's for sure.

Legend
Legend
the stretch of Mingo, Richardson, Weeden, Manziel, Gilbert, Erving ... that's sad LOL

Legend
Legend
I always thought that Courtney Brown would have been a monster had he not been injured so much

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
but from 99 through 2015

Was out all day yesterday, Golf and Football my two favorite things well 2 out of 3 that is.

Did I miss something and Erving got released/traded??? Cause you said just 2 Shelton and of course Joe Thomas.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
but from 99 through 2015

Was out all day yesterday, Golf and Football my two favorite things well 2 out of 3 that is.

Did I miss something and Erving got released/traded??? Cause you said just 2 Shelton and of course Joe Thomas.
Erving was traded to KC for a 5th rounder

E
Legend
Legend
E
Wow...is he going to beat out Schwartz? Or did they lose a LT to injury???

5th rounder way better than most were stating would be offered.
Again a guy who wasn't going to start. Thought his salary wasn't that bad 1mil + to keep on the roster for a back up. But I guess we were not going to offer him a contract next year so might as well get something for him.

Man I so wished he would bring some worth to this team...was rooting for him. But has to be one of our worst first round picks for an OL - not to make it as a starter. smh

Oh and yes I defended him left and right looking for shreds of light that might have him turn it around. Never happened.
Never saw a top OL prospect be on his heals so often hence getting pushed back.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Self-abuse? None of us made the picks. The Browns made the picks.

No one is talking about you. No one is talking about your mother. They're talking about some dumb football team. Get real.

+1

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted By: eotab

Oh and yes I defended him left and right looking for shreds of light that might have him turn it around. Never saw a top OL prospect be on his heals so often hence getting pushed back.

Defending a player's skill, especially a high prospect's, with a paucity of evidence, erodes further your credibility as far as another anonymous poster goes.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
It's maths stupid! - Paul Depodesta

D
Legend
Legend
D
He had to go to Harvard to learn that .. wow ... it really is a good school ... rolleyes

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
to be fair we should throw up every teams first rounders since 1999 for a comparison.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: dawgpound101
to be fair we should throw up every teams first rounders since 1999 for a comparison.

Click the team slot at the top to sort by each team:

Every first round pick since 1999

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Not sure how you inferrd this was about me, or my mom. So, I'll "clarify" my message.

People of this board, heed my words and take note. The front office will do what they want. You getting angry at any decision is foolish, since you have no way to cause a differing outcome.

Heed also my words that the sins of the past do not and will not ever come back through time to destroy your team. Players cut years ago do not effect any influence upon the word of today. Whoever is not on the roster, the coaches have a reason. They know, you don't. Accept.

Embrace the Way Of The Happy Fan: be ambivalent. If they win,enjoy. If they lose, it's OK as well.

Legend
Legend
Excellent advice.... that will fall upon deaf ears, my friend.

"Why?" you might ask.
Here's why: the word 'fan' is the shortened version of fanatic. A fanatic is pathologically (and fundamentally) incapable of ambivalence.

Think of it this way: a casual fan tunes in on Sunday, takes the game as it comes, and goes to work on Monday. The fanatic joins a message board, becomes a "Dawg Talker," and interacts with other addicted OCD people who wear orange and brown athletic apparel and discuss arcane rules of the game, fight with others about Tim Couch/Kelly Holcolmb, and know that some guy named Orlando Brown had a nickname of 'Zeus'... and was almost blinded in one eye by a weighted penalty flag thrown by a ref named Jeff Triplette.

I know you mean well, My Dawg.... but I'm tellin' ya: this is the exact WRONG place to try to peddle them wares!

"Ambivalence."
Yeah- right.

wink

rofl

"too many notes, not enough music-"
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think you need a lesson on reading comprehension. I was replying to you calling it "self abuse."

It's not self abuse. We're talking about a football team rather than ourselves.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
When you do something volunarily that causes you mental/emotional/physical pain, the indeed is self abuse.

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL............you are the one complaining. Trying to tell people how to post.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
LOL............you are the one complaining. Trying to tell people how to post.

Were you looking in a mirror when you posted that? thumbsup

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum List of 1st rounders since 1999.

Link Copied to Clipboard