Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1309453 09/05/17 12:31 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
We have had some fun with this in the past thought would try it this week. So what would be your offensive and defensive game plan's this week against the Steelers.

Offensively, I come out in two back sets I want to attack that A gap with a ferocity. I don't want fancy, I want to blow the steelers off the line right up the gut. You spent all this money on our interior. Time to put up.

I will also attempt to take the lid off this defense by having my speed receivers go after Haden. I don't want Haden making plays inside 10 yards. I want him chasing 25 plus downfield. Keep those safeties from creeping up and test those hammies.

Defensively, This is a porous Steeler Ol and I want to push it right back in big bens face. I think you can get to Ben without blitzing that much. Not saying don't blitz but lets see how this front 4 does early. I think we can penetrate the backfield and get to Bell and Big Ben. If not its a long day.

Legend
Legend
No fancy on O ... I agree (Hue always gets too fancy). We must stick with the run game. And then rely on PA passes and move the pocket a bit for Kizer

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Defense....Pressure... pressure... pressure.. on the QB. No soft coverage's for DB's. Swarm to the ball. Force a few turnovers.

Offense...Take care of the football. 80% 3rd down conversion ratio. Looking for a balance of passing vs running. Run blocking. Screen plays and run draws to get out of Pitts constant blitzing. Score 21-30 points.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
L
Legend
Legend
L
Run run run run run, and attack the LOS on defense, make Ben uncomfortable

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
No fancy on O ... I agree (Hue always gets too fancy). We must stick with the run game. And then rely on PA passes and move the pocket a bit for Kizer

Agreed. The offense that Matt Ryan basically ran his rookie season. Feed the Crow & lots of Play action and quick passing plays. Make it easy on Kizer and continue to run the ball, at all costs.

On defense, same thing we've been doing since preseason. Pressure leads to turnovers

That pretty much goes for most of the season too.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't think the Steeler o-line is bad at all.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I don't think the Steeler o-line is bad at all.

Yeah I agree. I'd have to rank the Steelers oline one of the best in the NFL. Sure hope we can still pressure Ben anyways, and put the AFCN on notice. smile

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Show the Steelers different fronts move Garrett around
The Steelers oline is elite and cohesive
I'd blitz a cb off the edge make Ben clock speed up in his head
On offense I pound the ball as much as possible .control clock keep that offense off the field as much as possible
Too bad the Browns don't have a real threat at TE to keep the seams honest

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I know pff has them as the 3rd OL because of their play down the stretch last year but they seem to catch a lot of breaks with guys playing injured or out due to injury. I think they are very overrated as a unit just as the Browns right now are.

We will see but I come out and let my front 4 challenge them and if they aren't getting it done, then you dial it up a bit.

P
Legend
Legend
P
First play would be a long pass attempt to Coleman. Make them respect the long pass to help the run game.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Run ,run, run , throw the Bomb , throw the bomb , run , run ; You get my drift . Ben can't throw very accurately from his back side .

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
First play would be a long pass attempt to Coleman. Make them respect the long pass to help the run game.

Pick on Joe Haden. tongue

Run the ball and short throws, stay ahead of the chains. Take a few shots when it's there.

Defense avoid the big play, make them drive the length of the field.. Ben loves to air it out, need to make them work their way down the field.. and get Garrett a sack, at least one sack of Big Ben... and if it's punishingly brutal (but legal), all the better.

No mistakes, if we have penalties and turnovers this could get out of hand quickly. And the last thing I want is Kizer on the field throwing it 85% of the game because we are multiple scores behind.

yebat' Putin
L
Legend
Legend
L
Offence: run the rock, use quick, safe reads for Kizer, don't be afraid to air it out early - and occasionally - to make them respect the deep ball. I think DeValve will have a coming out party. Overall though, I'd try to run the ball and control the clock. Keep it simple for Kizer.

Defence: get after Ben. I think our front 7 is gonna wreak havoc this season, let's start doing it in week 1.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Run Haden deep OFTEN. Also bracket him with a short/long receiver. Give him speed, lots of real estate, and make him choose. Cash in on him. Look to manufacture penalties.

I agree with the idea of being too cute. Run hard, pass deep, move the chains. Win a short game where you rack up clock in your favor.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Don't remember the yr but it was against N.O. We opened with a 75- 80 yrd bomb called back for holding

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
D
1st String
1st String
D
Hard, pounding running game followed by solid play action passing. Then we would cool off the aggressive Steeler defense with screens and draw plays.

Just the dawg in me..........
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Spread them out with 3+ receiver formations and flexed tight ends. If they keep LBs in on D, exploit those matchups. If they go nickel or dime, run out of those formations. Run zone plays and misdirection in the hope that Shazier over pursues and creates cutback lanes. If the get aggressive mix in screens. Rotate WR/TEs through so we can run a decent bit of go routes to wear their DBs out. Mix in some double moves against Joe to see how the groin holds up. Use motion to make the defense declare it's intentions. If they're in man and don't account for Kizer, have him scramble (but avoid the big hit). Try to milk the clock to some extent and limit their possessions.

2nd half come out in the I formation. Pound the rock at them some more. Mix in more play action.

On defense, have the line attack like crazy. Try to get hits on Ben and get to Bell before he gets going. Swarm to the ball. Play off coverage on AB and Bryant, make them nickel and dime us down the field. Have LBs and safeties lurking in the middle to pop crossers. Alternate trying to "bully" their receivers at the line, but give that guy safety help over the top. Go after the ball when Bell is being swarmed.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
How much Bell can we see? BIG question! Swarm him behind the line. Our tackling needs to be crisper. MG better be ready to eat up some blockers. Our D Line has to be jamming early and often.

Looking forward to some chaos, but I hope it is not exclusively us. This game will not allow or forgive the penalties we have had in the preemie games.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Legend
Legend
D
Bring pressure and keep Ben in pain. I think it's the only way we don't give up huge chunk plays through the passing game.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Well I think that, if I could give some advice in what I'd like to see.

You don't have to play hurry up offense. I would want to see the Browns use the entire playclock on offense, no matter the score, even way back into the 1st quarter.

I don't want to see the Browns snap the ball with any more than 5 seconds on the playclock.

Use all the time to allow the Browns defense over on the sidelines to go over information.

Also, if it's Pittsburgh, you want to do all you can to hold them scoreless in the 1st quarter. In the first quarter, I'd say, just feel the game out, play tough defense, hopefully get some turnovers and keep Pittsburgh off the board.

You don't have to Show all your cards until the final round of betting!

If you have one matchup, or one thing that you can do, that they don't have an answer for, why not use it on the last play of the game to take the win.

If you go all out and show all your tricks up front in the first half, then you just give the opponent a chance to make adjustments at halftime and beat you in the 2nd half.

Contrarywise, All you really want to do is hang in there, in the 1st half, just show them you mean business. Play football, and ball control, plus defense, to create some opportunities and see if you come up with any points, limiting that other teams points.

Then, in the last minutes before halftime, try and manufacture a scoring drive, and put yourself in a good position at halftime.

But If you think you can show one matchup where you can take advantage of the Steelers player or schemes, then do it late in the game, on

and score on the last play of the game, for the win, too.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
My goal would be simple: take the air out of the ball.

Limit the time of possession for the Steelers.

Defensively-
Nothing cheap nothing deep. Cover-2/Cover-3 shells keep your work in front of you rally then come up and tackle. Make them earn their way downfield in small bites.

Offensively-
Run the ball. Whatever the best match-up is base or nickel run the ball.
Very, very conservative pass game. Clear, well defined passes. Start off with screens and play-action. Limit the 3rd and long and 5-7 step passing game. Bootlegs and a sprinkle of read-option.

1 caveat in the 1st qtr, hopefully the first series Ben must go down. This is the only time I would be ultra aggressive with the blitz but blitz with deep zone coverage that if Ben beats it he's not beating the blitz with a homerun. But Ben must get hit early in the game.

Last edited by edromeo; 09/06/17 07:18 PM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I wouldn't get my guys hurt a few days before the game.

Just frustration talking there.

Run the friggen ball and tell the D you expect the QB to be hit at least 10 times. Skate to the edge. If you get called, no big deal. Just don't skate there on 3rd and 15.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 09/06/17 07:24 PM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Well since Vitale our FB is hurt. I would utilize a 2 TE formation with DeValve as an HB put in motion a lot.
We can play action pass or run out this formation.
Also I would want Kizer to stretch the field vertically. Test Haden Deep with a speed guy. Probably Coleman or Coats.

Defense, keep doing what we have seen in preseason but more intense. Penetration is a must stop the run game and hit Big Ben as often as we can. He is not the Big Ben of old. He is at the point of his career every hit wears him down.

Special teams has to play well and win the field position battle.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Just compete, don't lay an egg, because that could kill all the momentum.

Minimize errors, penalties and stupid plays. Stout D and O-line play.

Nobody expects a win, that's good, just competent play and something to build the season on.

eotab #1310489 09/07/17 01:54 PM
Legend
Legend
Vitale was practicing this week.

#gmstrong
Pdawg #1310511 09/07/17 02:37 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
Vitale was practicing this week.

Said what I said cause I saw he was on the injured list and was LIMITED in his practicing. Have not seen Today's update.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
If I was the coach....

I would learn about our history of picks and have the #1 pick maybe having an off day before the biggest game our season. JMO

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Run the ball no matter what the score is. EAT CLOCK from beginning to end. Let Williams call his game. Attack attack attack. Hit tiny as often as possible. I'm hoping he's looking out his ear hole all game. Run the ball, play solid D and hope we get lucky. We aren't ready to compete evenly with them yet. We still need a year or two. But if we get lucky maybe we can steal a win. If not then we learn and grow and move on..... I'd be happy with knocking tiny out for a considerable time. That would be a victory in my eyes.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not sure what I would do on either side of the ball, do to the fact that we truly have made so many changes over the past year, and pre season is NOT a predictor of success or failure IMO.

I keep seeing people say run the ball, but I don't recall us doing that so well or consistently in pre season?

I did see in pre season that we run screens better than I ever remember, so thats my go too when Pittsburgh loads up on D.

But with Pittsburgh they adjust as the game unfolds so you better have a counter move or 2 or ten.

To me that is the key! Have A game plan to start and a plan B and C and change back and forth. Do what you do and mix it up short quick passes then down the field, then run, run, run, then hit them with screens. We looked real good running screens and I think we can take advantage of the Steeler's normal aggressive style.

On D take away Brown and gang tackle hit hard and often , don't let Pittsburgh be the aggressor, you be the aggressor, take it to them and when they punch you in the face hit back harder.

Pittsburgh and Baltimore for years has used the intimidation factor to take the fight out of the Browns, time to see the new toughness of the Browns show up and often. That to me is probably the biggest key land the 1st punch and keep landing blows.

It most likely will be a Pittsburgh victory, but don't let them walk away at a minimum make them limp, and hope they crawl away.

When the Browns used to lose back in the old days you crawled away they hurt you, time for the return of that level of toughness. So were Hue's words of toughness real???? I sure hope so.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
R
Legend
Legend
R
I agree. I want to see the Browns take a punch and not go into the fetal position. Show some competitive pride and guts. If I see that deer in the headlights look on guys I'm going to be really disappointed.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I seriously hope we win. Bummed MG isn't playing but, am hopeful one guy, esp a rookie, isn't a game change,r just yet. Others need to step up. Ogbah, Nassib, Holmes etc. We need a full on GW assault but, lets survive this week and not lose any key players.

Offensively, we need run the ball, Crow and Dayes need to step up. Hue can be creative and get the ball to Duke in different schemes. TEs and our WRs need to be involved. I will be happy if we see some productivity from Britt. Hopeful he isn't going to be another Bowe.

ST...Pour some pepper on it, baby! Jabrill to light 'em up, maybe score but, at least get us good field positioning.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm playing clock control trying to keep Ben off the field as much as I can. Big Strikes every time we get 2nd and short hoping Kizer can check down if it's not there. Running Njoku up the seem on every 3rd down. Play action, screen fakes, every type of misdirection I can come up with.

None of which will happen. 2 yard runs and punts is what I plan on seeing.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 18 Steelers 21 You're the Coach

Link Copied to Clipboard