Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
You have to give GW a whole lot of credit for holding Pitt's offense to 14 points.

His plan seemed to be to live with the little gains but he absolutely wouldn't let Pittsburgh beat us with the big play.

The two deep safeties had to stay deeper than the deepest WR until they saw the ball leave the QB's hand.

CB's and LB's were in mostly man coverage the whole game including Taylor 1 on 1 with Brown without help and Josh Schobert deep downfield in coverage at times.

The only pass rushers we had were on the d-line the whole game.

The LB's deserve a ton of credit to have played run/pass so well despite have such big coverage responsibilities. The D-line deserves a ton of credit for being disciplined enough to play the run first every time. The safeties deserve a lot of credit for being disciplined enough to stay deep and not get fooled into creeping up.

Big Ben was flustered most of the game and Bell was held to probably the lowest rushing total he is going to have all season.

The fact that nobody knew it was coming made it all that much better.

Well thought out and Well executed.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I will say this:

If Myles Garret was healthy yesterday we beat the Steelers.

No way Rothlisberger gets off those deep passes to AB with Garret on the field...Garret would have been unblockable by the Steelers OL and he would ate them for luch and he would have been wrecking wrecking havoc in the Steelers backfield all day...Garret has 4-5 sacks easily yesterday had he played.

We will get them later in the year barring were still healthy by then.

Legend
Legend
there's no doubt it took Pitt by surprise. The one deep safety (very deep) and then loaded up coverage was a good change up ... I will say that Peppers must have Williams' trust already to do that

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
The one deep safety (very deep) and then loaded up coverage was a good change up ... I will say that Peppers must have Williams' trust already to do that

I think when he's moved 5-10 yards closer he'll have that trust. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
thoroughly surprised, in a good way, with the way our safeties played.

and man oh man, we stopped the run? I don't care what excuses people give with regards to Bell, that's an all pro- pro bowl RB, and we held him to 10 carries for 32 yards, and as a team they only rushed 17 carries for 35 yards.

AB is gonna be AB, but my worry was that Bryant was gonna go off on us, especially since we have inexperienced corners and secondary overall.

I know we're supposed to take it one week at a time, but man, someone will have a hard time convincing me that Flacco, Maclin, and West will be a tougher challenge than Ben, Bell, Brown, and Bryant.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Quote:
The one deep safety (very deep) and then loaded up coverage was a good change up ... I will say that Peppers must have Williams' trust already to do that

I think when he's moved 5-10 yards closer he'll have that trust. wink

From where I was sitting it looked like Peppers was back to receive a punt on every play.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Would have enjoyed more pressure at the game. Garrett helps everyone if his game is added when healthy. More 3 & out's yesterday for Towelettes. No fluke and we win; Kizer sees the receiver open in the end zone, we win. About 8 less sacks and hurries while Kizer spectates, who knows. It was exciting to watch and GW had them getting after it and they looked much better IMO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well, Bryant did have 11 catches on 11 targets while racking up 182 yards with an average of 16.5 yards per catch. So yeah, I would call that him "getting his".

What we did manage to do is cover deep and stop him from racking up scores.

It was a smart way to play it and I give Williams credit for a good game plan.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
it also showed me that he thinks our LBs are trustworthy in coverage (something that we know has been AWFUL since we can remember). I remember a few times when Schobert was literally covering the slot

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Well, Bryant did have 11 catches on 11 targets while racking up 182 yards with an average of 16.5 yards per catch. So yeah, I would call that him "getting his".

What we did manage to do is cover deep and stop him from racking up scores.

It was a smart way to play it and I give Williams credit for a good game plan.

Brown, not Bryant.

and to me that's fine. I mean Ben went 24/36 for 263 yards, 11 catches for 182 yards going to AB.

that means he went 13/25 for 81 yards to all other targets. We was able to shut down Bryant , i just wished we could've held up Jesse James better, as he got both TD catches from Ben.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
I sat too far up to see well, but watched Schobert some. Overall did you think he did well?
Our LB's did well as a whole? I was very impressed how well they kept Bell bottled up. Rusty, yes, given. But still dangerous. Didn't shred us. Hats off.

The D in 3rd quarter gave up chunks quickly. The passes to right flat and far left just happened repeatedly, like they kept the money play until needed. Still, we got some props.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Pitt there were times durning the game i went damn where's our safties. They were out of the picture. lol

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
I sat too far up to see well, but watched Schobert some. Overall did you think he did well?
Our LB's did well as a whole? I was very impressed how well they kept Bell bottled up. Rusty, yes, given. But still dangerous. Didn't shred us. Hats off.

The D in 3rd quarter gave up chunks quickly. The passes to right flat and far left just happened repeatedly, like they kept the money play until needed. Still, we got some props.

Considering that they asked him to cover so much. I am shocked. I knew Collins and Kirksey could cover like that, but I did not expect our MLB to be able to, nor is it usually in the job description.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg

Considering that they asked him to cover so much. I am shocked. I knew Collins and Kirksey could cover like that, but I did not expect our MLB to be able to, nor is it usually in the job description.

The TE Screen for the touchdown - just a good play call with great execution

There were a couple of times I would have liked to see Kirksey or Collins versus Schobert in coverage but Big Ben is smart and I think he wanted to exploit that matchup

P
Legend
Legend
P
Look for the same Defense vs. Baltimore because of Flacco's deep throws ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I wonder how much of the deep safety stuff was scheme and how much can be attributed to Williams not trusting the reads of our safeties?

I'd say both were factors. Just not sure how much.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Look for the same Defense vs. Baltimore because of Flacco's deep throws ... JMHO

I think we were more worried about Bryant and Brown than anything. I don't think Mike Wallace, Breshad Perriman, and Jeremy Maclin will cause us to have the same fears (I am not saying they are bad, just not the same level as the two Steelers).

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I wonder how much of the deep safety stuff was scheme and how much can be attributed to Williams not trusting the reads of our safeties?

I'd say both were factors. Just not sure how much.

That's a good question, but Kindred certainly had a great game and normally he would be the one I would suspect.

It takes a guy with special speed to play that deep safety spot. I tried to find an article that I read about this type of defense before that used a single deep safety and I couldn't find it. I do remember that the coach that used it wanted the fastest guy on the team and someone that was willing to lay the wood. I have never seen 2 safeties that deep like they did at times.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

I think we were more worried about Bryant and Brown than anything. I don't think Mike Wallace, Breshad Perriman, and Jeremy Maclin will cause us to have the same fears (I am not saying they are bad, just not the same level as the two Steelers).

I agree, but Flacco's best game is when he can throw the deep ball, that's why I figure if they ran the deep Safety's against Ben they might do the same against Flacco ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
E
Legend
Legend
E
I was going to make a thread with this but I don't have my speakers with me (had to move my computer cause of Jose and probably Maria) so I didn't hear it but saw some quotes and thought it was hilarious especially him calling out the Journalists covering our team...lol have at it guys surprised it was not put here yet.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-cen...80-31fd1342c112

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Greg Williams Gutsy defense vs the Steelers

Link Copied to Clipboard