Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
PFF Ranks 5 Browns in the top 10 at their positions through 3 games

It may not feel as good as a winning record, but the numbers are saying the Cleveland Browns may be onto something when it comes to their roster. For the year to date, Pro Football Focus has ranked five Browns players in the top 10 at their respective position, based upon their data collection methods and analytical formula. The three-game grades for these five for 2017 are also impressive.

The five players are tight end Seth DeValve (sixth, with a 79.6 grade), guard Joel Bitonio (ninth, with an 83.0 grade, but eighth with an 83.8 grade for this season), left tackle Joe Thomas (first, with a 89.8 grade), cornerback Jason McCourty (previously fourth, now third, at 86.7) and safety Derrick Kindred (10th, at 85.3).

DeValve’s biggest strength is in the passing game, with a PFF grade of 81.1; he has caught eight passes on 14 targets so far this season, for 132 yards, averaging 44 yards per game and second on the roster to Duke Johnson in receiving yards. The passing game—pass-blocking in particular—is where Bitonio has earned his highest marks, with only three other guards grading out better.

McCourty has grades of 85.8 and 86.3 in pass coverage and run defense, respectively, and its reflected in the stat sheet, with 11 tackles, an interception, three pass breakups and a forced fumble so far this season. Kindred, meanwhile, has been a run defense standout, with a 92.8 grade that is tops in the league for safeties; he leads the Browns in tackles for a loss with four. Thomas has allowed only two quarterback pressures through three games.

That the Browns not only have five top-10 players is impressive enough, but that they are spread between both the offense and the defense shows signs that the roster, as a whole, is robust and improving. Though it is not reflected in the Browns’ record at present, this is a further indication that the team is trending upward. In-house talent, veteran signings and young players alike are all making homes for themselves among the NFL’s best.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2017/9/27/...through-3-games

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I've been pleased with Devalve, Kindred, and McCourty thus far. None are "good" players, but they haven't hurt us (and I actually think Devalve might be good for his career).

I'd also say that Thomas and Bitonio SHOULD be that good ... it's just amazing that we can't run the ball. (Zeitler has been disappointing thus far IMO too)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I really like kindred, but the guy has got to stay healthy.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Don't understand your "good" player statement....using bell curve after 3 games....I'd say they were "outstanding" players...graded A....it's a long season, will be REAL interesting how the final grades come out.....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
My feeling is that Collins & Peppers are really killing us on D, time for the DC to stop the bleeding....

We have no defenders with superior ball hawk and game instincts, so we will be bleeding yards if we continue to play with so much space...

On O, RBs and Wr's are just putrid

Last edited by rastanplan; 09/27/17 09:46 AM.
D
Legend
Legend
D
It's hard to even contribute in a thread like this or think in a positive nature.

We're a poor football team, we need help everywhere.

Legend
Legend
I would add Taylor as well. not good most of the time. Do your job.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I've been pleased with Devalve, Kindred, and McCourty thus far. None are "good" players, but they haven't hurt us (and I actually think Devalve might be good for his career).

I'd also say that Thomas and Bitonio SHOULD be that good ... it's just amazing that we can't run the ball. (Zeitler has been disappointing thus far IMO too)

Ok, the BS meter just jumped. Did you even bother to think what you were typing? Top 10 at their positions and you say that their not good? saywhat I think that were getting there, just need some more time.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Kindred could make the Pro Bowl this year if he keeps playing at this level.

I haven't watched McCourty enough to form an opinion.

Safety Valve just needs to continue to work on getting separation.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Have we ever had talent like this? EVER???
since 1999. Of course we have had Joe Thomas playing at this level since 07.

Bitonio...as was in another thread showing every play by Kizer in a 2 angle replay...Joe and Bitonio blocking on pass plays were a thing of beauty!

There are others playing well. Kirksey, the young DTs Corey and Larry, I don't know how fans are down here on Ogbah He is playing very good. Just not many STATS.
Peppers can be a weapon. Garrett hasn't even begun to fight.
Duke has been excellent.

I like how this team is developing as in talent. Not enough all around as a team but definitely getting there...man I wish these guys could only learn how to win. I think most would turn their impressions around. Coming close sucks for all. Positive and Negative posters alike. There is no justice in losing! Point blank like the old saying...WINNING IS THE CURE ALL!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Legend
Legend
O
This is along the lines of the expectation I had for this year.

We may not win games, and we may have setbacks in certain weeks with our performance and improvement... and all of that sucks... but I want to be able to look back at the end of the year and see an overall, marked, definite improvement.

If I hold back week-to-week judgement, I want to be able to look back over the season and see improvement mostly, if not totally, across the board.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I questions PFF's grades at times, especially in the secondary. It's like if a guy blows his zone coverage responsibilities, he gets a pass because he is not close enough in coverage.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Anybody watching the game knows our secondary stinks.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I dont want to hear about all this talent the Browns have acquired
I've been those hallow words since the Davis years and with every regime since
I want to see actual meaningful wins

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
I dont want to hear about all this talent the Browns have acquired
I've been those hallow words since the Davis years and with every regime since
I want to see actual meaningful wins
yeah, i'm pretty apathetic to the "fluff" too

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Kindred and McCourty have looked awesome.

V
Legend
Legend
V
No, they haven't.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Kindred and McCourty have looked awesome.

Certainly agree on Kindred. His progress from year one to year two has been a bright spot.

It’s been readily evident to anyone who watches the Browns defense. No. 26 in brown and orange is always near the ball and typically also near the line of scrimmage. The 2016 fourth-round pick from TCU has 16 total tackles, two pass breakups and an interception.

Pro Football Focus (PFF) has taken note. Kindred is the top-ranked run defending safety in the league so far according to their grading,

Second-year safety Derrick Kindred has eight run stops and an 11.3 run stop percentage. Both of those are those are the highest rates for safeties to start each game this season.

Typically playing as the “up” safety while rookie Jabrill Peppers roams the deep realms, Kindred’s primary job is to attack the run and cover backs and outlet receivers in the passing game. He is doing both at a very high level, showing both great athleticism and instincts.

Link

PFF Grades Kindred out at "High Quality"

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum PFF Ranks 5 Browns in the top 10 at their positions through 3 games

Link Copied to Clipboard