Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1387894 01/08/18 10:21 AM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/901733/Sahara-Desert-snow-Ain-Sefra-Algeria-pictures-photos

More than 15 inches (40cm) has blanketed sand dunes across the small town of Ain Sefra, Algeria.

It is the second time snow has hit in nearly 40 years, with a dusting also recorded in December 2016.

But this snowfall which hit yesterday, is much deeper than the fleeting shower little more than a year ago.

Locals, who endure temperatures of 37C in summer, were stunned as dense snow settled on the town, known as ‘the gateway to the desert’.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weathe...107-h0etl6.html

Sydney clocks the hottest place on Earth as hot weather continues
Quote:

High temperatures, combined with high humidity, made it an unpleasant sleep for some in Sydney overnight.

The Bureau of Meteorology confirmed on Monday that Penrith had reached the highest temperature on earth in the past 24 hours when it reached 47.3 degrees on Sunday afternoon.

"It looks like it's the highest temperature recorded in the Sydney area in 80 years," Jacob Cronje, a senior meteorologist with Weatherzone, said.

"It was certainly the hottest place in Australia," he said.

A map published by the University of Maine's Climate Change Institute shows Australia was the hottest continent globally.

Mr Cronje said that more record-breaking temperatures were unlikely this week but that temperatures could still break the mid-40s.

The mercury failed to drop below 22 degrees overnight in the city as humidity rose as high as 80 per cent during the early hours.

Penrith's record-breaking day didn't cool off quickly with temperatures above 30 degrees still being recorded at 7.30pm and humidity as high as 91 per cent overnight.

It will be a bit cooler closer to the shore with Sydney city expecting a high of 33 degrees.

Showers are expected across the Sydney region, most likely during the afternoon and evening with a chance of a thunderstorm as well.

A total fire ban remains in place for the greater Sydney region although the fire danger rating was downgraded overnight from severe to very high.

Rain is expected for the rest of the week, although there are unlikely to be any heavy drenchings.

The mercury is expected to stay below 30 between Wednesday and Sunday in the city but Penrith could experience temperatures in the mid-30s on Friday and Saturday.

There is the chance for a few thunderstorms throughout the region during the week as well.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
F = 1.8C + 32

P
Legend
Legend
P
Some people still can't grasp the difference between weather and climate. I'm at the point I believe they can't be helped.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Some people still can't grasp the difference between weather and climate. I'm at the point I believe they can't be helped.

The question is which people are which.

I posted what I did because of the multitude of times it's snowed on al gore's speeches. You have noticed none of his predictions have come true, right?

P
Legend
Legend
P
So you deny that the planet is getting warmer and that sea levels are rising because of it? If you believe that's true, how long it takes for coastal regions to be under water isn't really the issue. It's the simple fact that they will be. You do realize that the oceans are already encroaching on coastal areas don't you?

I'm not an Al Gore fan. I believe that there has been some shock value added to the entire global warming issue. At the same time, I'm not a total denier.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Erik is the kind of guy who brings a snowball onto the senate floor to argue that global warming is a myth.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
So you deny that the planet is getting warmer and that sea levels are rising because of it? If you believe that's true, how long it takes for coastal regions to be under water isn't really the issue. It's the simple fact that they will be. You do realize that the oceans are already encroaching on coastal areas don't you?

I'm not an Al Gore fan. I believe that there has been some shock value added to the entire global warming issue. At the same time, I'm not a total denier.

The planet hasn't warmed in 20 years, and the oceans have been encroaching on the coasts since there's been oceans. The sun has more to do with the temps on this planet than anything we've done to it.

According to most 'climatologists', the former global warmists that is, the ice should have been gone a few years ago, and these cities you're so worried about should already be underwater. All their computer models were wrong (don't believe me, look up the IPCC AR5 report. 73 out of 73 models are wrong).

The 'science' you believe is little more than conjecture and agenda. Time will prove me right, just as it has so far. You do remember I was arguing against AGW as far back as 97/98 when the original board started. I'd say I have a much better track record so far than any of the AGW crowd.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C

Reposting a map of yesterday's temperature map. You can see Algiers is the light blue part at Africa's north coast. They along with most of the Russia and North America are having an exceptionally cold period. While the rest of the world is experiencing a much warmer than average year.

Legend
Legend

The problem is that when it's summer and some city breaks a high-temperature record for the day, then climate change advocates will point to that and say, "See Global Warming!"

Then when the same thing happens in the winter for a low temperature, then the story becomes, "Well we have to discuss climate and not weather."

P
Legend
Legend
P
Not really. Most people go by the global temperatures and not isolated incidents.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
What's the global temp?

Edited to say "So, what is the current global temp in relation to 10 years ago? 10 decades ago, etc."

Last edited by archbolddawg; 01/08/18 03:32 PM.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Let's talk about weather.

Many places in the far reaches of Alaska see mail service maybe 2-3 days a week with how bad the weather has been. The climate conditions up here are wacky; ice fog prevails across the area like nothing in the past. The mail out to villages remains incredibly backed up due to this.

Also, this chart says more than anything.

Link

Factors on earth rise the temperature of the water. The water temperature rising causes this extreme weather. Extreme weather can impact in a variety of ways.

Last edited by RocketOptimist; 01/08/18 03:57 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
"It looks like it's the highest temperature recorded in the Sydney area in 80 years," Jacob Cronje, a senior meteorologist with Weatherzone, said.

So global warming was a problem 80yrs ago? laugh

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Kinda like the SUVs and coal burning they were doing in 1100 BC.

A
Legend
Legend
A
That sucks for Australia - that it's so hot in the summer.

Why, it was so hot that this little fellow had to climb into an engine compartment to stay warm: https://www.yahoo.com/news/driver-spots-venomous-red-bellied-180415825.html

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
That sucks for Australia - that it's so hot in the summer.

Why, it was so hot that this little fellow had to climb into an engine compartment to stay warm: https://www.yahoo.com/news/driver-spots-venomous-red-bellied-180415825.html

Did you read the article or did you just try to be snide?

Quote:
"Last night it got a bit cold down here on the South Coast, so I think he's got up into the engine bay of the vehicle, and he sat up on the engine to keep himself warm," Olgier said.

"Then this morning Ted's taken that vehicle down to Eden and it might've got a bit too hot in there, so he wanted out."

Do you think engines are warm when they've been off for hours and the car is under shelter as well?

Also, you know snakes are cold blooded animals it's actually trying to cool off, right? I think if he was trying to stay warm, he wouldn't have left the engine...

Better luck next time, Arch.

B
Legend
Legend
B
As a Tennessean, I hope Al is in Algiers and he stays there.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Is Al Gore in Algiers?

Link Copied to Clipboard