Next Thread
Print Thread
#1389304 01/10/18 10:19 AM
D
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
D
Wasn’t sure wether to put this here or in the draft forum.

Ok, so with one of the youngest if not the youngest roster in the NFL this year, do you think Dorsey will take some of this years draft capital and use that to make some trades for some veteran players or does he stand pat and use all of our picks and continue with the youth movement so to speak? If you think trade, for who?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Do you think Dorsey will take some of this years draft capital and use that to make some trades for some veteran players

I hope not, especially early round capital.

Quote:
Does he stand pat and use all of our picks and continue with the youth movement current picks for future picks if he sees value.

I hope so. I'm never a fan of trading draft picks for veterans. I guess there is an argument for late rounders, but early picks, hell no as far as I'm concerned. This rebuild was never supposed to be easy and purging draft capital (especially early draft capital) could end up being a big mistake.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't think we will make many--if any--trades. However, I think we will utilize free agency and bring in some established vets who have experienced winning cultures. We desperately need that type of leadership on our roster.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Picks for player trades are pretty rare in the NFL.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My hope is that we take on some young FA's with high upside and avoid trying to build a team around FA signings.

D
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
D
And by veterans I don’t necessarily mean “old”, more in the 4-6 year experienced player. Possibly at the CB, S, and WR position. Maybe a player who isn’t living up to his second contract that might improve with a change in scenery, kinda like when the Rams traded for Marshal Faulk. Not that I think we can find a player on that level but that we can find a guy who will be better for us then they were for their first team.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
My guess is no - I do expect we will sign a few vet FAs though. Maybe a WR, maybe a QB, a DB or two, and I could see OL if JT decides to hang them up

D
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
D
I was just thinking if the free agents were not willing to come here, not saying that’s a given, that this might be a way to add a couple guys. Don’t know what will actually happen.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I would prefer we stay young. I believe the plan always was to gain a few top FA and continue to build through the draft. I think Sashi would have traded the #4 pick back, but I would like Dorsey to draft Fitzpatrick there.

I think a few aging vets sprinkled in would be nice. I think two guys we could see are Chase Daniel and Albert Wilson. We'll see though.

Legend
Legend
Here are the draft picks we have:

Cleveland Browns 2018 NFL Draft Picks
https://scout.com/nfl/browns/Article/Cleveland-Browns-2018-NFL-Draft-Picks-113135929

Round 1

#1 - Own Pick
#4 - Texans Pick

Round 2

#33 - Own Pick
#35 - Texans Pick - Due to tie with the Colts, the Texans and Colts will flip picks every round. Colts got #3 overall due to the Strength of Schedule tiebreaker so Texans get the higher pick in the 2nd, 4th & 6th Rounds
#60 - *Eagles Pick - This pick won't be decided until the Eagles lose. This predicts they lose their first game, in the Divisional Round, but due to them holding the best record in the league (tied) they get the lowest of those picks. If the other three 13 win teams all lose, unlikely, this pick would #58.

Round 3

#65 - Own Pick

Round 4

#108 - *Own Pick - Last year, the NFL gave out 11 Compensatory picks between the end of the 3rd Round and the start of the 4th. The Browns signed too many free agents to receive any this season but it drops their 4th Round pick from 97 to 108 if that number holds this season. Comp picks will be announced later in the offseason.
#137 - *Panthers Pick - Acquired in the trade of Punter Andy Lee, this will not be decided until the Panthers lose & Comp picks are handed out.

Round 5

#145 - *Own Pick - Last year, the NFL gave out 6 Comp picks between Round 4 and 5.
#175 - *Chiefs Pick - This is the pick acquired from Kansas City in exchange for Cameron Erving. Again, won't be decided until the Chiefs lose and the Comp Picks are handed out.

Round 6

#185 - *Own Pick - Last year, the NFL handed out 9 Comp picks between Round 5 and 6.

Round 7

#219 - *Own Pick - Last year, the NFL gave out 3 Comp picks between Round 6 and 7

---

A ton of NFL Draft capital and some interesting tidbits:

2 picks in the Top 5
4 picks in the Top 35
5 picks in the Top 60
7 Picks in the Top 108 (Huge in a deep Draft where Top 100 picks are held in high esteem, Browns own a normal full Drafts of picks by pick #108)
4 sets of picks clustered near each other: 1 & 4, 33 & 35, 60 & 65 and 137 & 145
12 picks overall, though it wouldn't be a shock to see a few dealt for veterans or to move up.

I hope that we use our late 4th and below picks to move back up in the draft.

If we come out of this draft with 2 firsts, 3 2nds, 2 3rds and 2 4ths, I would be thrilled. (and I think that could be possible)

This team is so young that adding a bunch of late round picks doesn't really strengthen us. 8 or 9 draft picks is about the maximum I can see us adding, and that may even be too many. Heck, maybe we trade some picks for future compensation.

I suspect that we are going to add 5 or 6 free agents. Not all will be super high end types, but this team needs veteran leadership, and I think that Dorsey is going to add some.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Okay, people, who excites you from this list?

NFL free agents 2018: Top 50 players, potential fits for the Browns

By Matt Goul, cleveland.com

Updated January 05, 2018 at 07:20 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Kirk Cousins is expected to set the tone for the NFL offseason free-agent market at quarterback. However, he is not even one of the top 50 players available, based on Pro Football Focus’ player rating for the 2017 regular season. Cousins checks in at No. 53 among unrestricted free agents and fourth among quarterbacks; behind New Orleans’ Drew Brees, Minnesota’s Case Keenum and San Francisco’s Jimmy Garoppolo.

So who is available and how do they stack up?

Here are the top 50 free agents, based on their final regular-season ratings by Pro Football Focus. Salary information provided by Spotrac.com. (Scroll to the bottom for notable exceptions and restricted free agents.) Details are provided, including buzz and reports from around the league, that hint at where these players are leaning entering the offseason and if they could fit the Browns.

Cleveland is armed with high draft picks and about $100 million in cap space for new general manager John Dorsey, whom the Browns hired Dec. 7. Teams that cannot sign their own free agents to long-term deals have between Feb. 20 and March 6 to designate them with a franchise or transitional tag. Teams can begin contract negotiations with free agents on March 12.

50. Corey Moore, Houston S
PFF rating: 79.2
2017 salary: $2.7 million
Moore landed on injured reserve in late December with a Grade 2 sprained medial collateral ligament. Defensive backs rated highly in PFF’s system, so this is a unit the Browns can upgrade via free agency. It is important to note players who did not crack the top 50 but will be sought more than players, such as more — particularly at quarterback — are noted at the bottom.

49. Tahir Whitehead, Detroit LB
PFF rating: 79.6
2017 salary: $4 million
Whitehead recovered four fumbles for Detroit as its starting weak-side linebacker. He bounced back from a poor 2016 season. He started all 16 games with 78 tackles.

48. Haloti Ngata, Detroit DT
PFF rating: 79.7
2017 salary: $6 million
The former Ravens tackle, who the Browns could have had before a draft-day swap that netted Kamerion Wimbley, is available. He landed on IR in mid-October with a biceps injury.

47. Michael Thomas, Miami S
PFF rating: 79.7
2017 salary: $1.7 million
Thomas jumped up the PFF ratings for his performance on special teams. He led the Dolphins with 11 special teams tackles before being placed on IR in late December and led the league with 54 special teams tackles since 2014.

Lynne Sladky, Associated Press
46. Kyle Williams, Buffalo DT
PFF rating: 79.9
2017 salary: $7.4 million
Of the defensive linemen on the market this offseason, only Atlanta’s Dontari Poe and Kansas City’s Bennie Logan had a higher base salary in 2017.

45. Ezekiel Ansah, Detroit DE
PFF rating: 80.1
2017 salary: $4.6 million
Ansah finished with 12 sacks, including a late-season burst of three sacks in each of his final two games. The Lions drafted him fifth in the 2013 draft.

44. Korey Toomer, Los Angeles Chargers LB
PFF rating: 80.3
2017 salary: $1.7 million
Toomer had the highest grade for an inside linebacker in Week 16, which provided a boost to the fourth-year player. He started eight games this season with an interception he ran back for a touchdown, plus 29 tackles.

43. Nigel Bradham, Philadelphia LB
PFF rating: 80.5
2017 salary: $3.5 million
Bradham spent the first four years of his career in Buffalo. The Eagles have extended defensive tackle Tim Jernigan and receiver Alshon Jeffrey. Bradham could be next on their list, thriving at strong-side linebacker with 61 tackles in 15 starts. Philadelphia sat him for the regular-season finale.

42. Justin Ellis, Oakland DT
PFF rating: 80.6
2017 salary: $673,172
Looking for a gap filler? Ellis checks in a 6-foot-2 and 330 pounds. He started 14 games with 27 solo tackles. He showed up for camp in 2017, ahead of his contract year, about 10 pounds lighter.

41. DaQuan Jones, Tennessee LB
PFF rating: 80.8
2017 salary: $668,850
Jones landed on the IR in early December with a torn biceps. The Titans started him at linebacker for three years and had the third-best rushing defense at the time of his injury.

Gus Ruelas, Associated Press
40. Anthony Hitchens, Dallas LB
PFF rating: 80.8
2017 salary: $663,716
Could Hitchens be a target for a homecoming? Before the Cowboys drafted him from Iowa, Hitchens grew up in Lorain and played at Clearview. He came back from a right knee injury to finish third on the Cowboys with 91 tackles and nine for loss. On his free agency, he told the Dallas Morning News: “I’m not worrying about what’s going to happen. I’m going into it like it’s a regular offseason and whenever that call comes, I’ll be ready.”

39. Frank Gore, Indianapolis RB
PFF rating: 80.9
Gore became the fifth player in league history to reach 14,000 yards. Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders and Curtis Martin are the others. How much does Gore have left? He has said he plans to return, adding for the Colts it depends on their quarterback situation with Andrew Luck and the offensive line.

38. Malcolm Butler, New England CB
PFF rating: 81.0
2017 salary: $3.9 million
The hero of Super Bowl XLIX with his late interception of Seattle’s Russell Wilson, Butler signed a restricted free-agent tender last year. He became part of trade rumors during the 2017 draft. Denver receiver Emmanuel Sanders called Butler one of the league’s top five cornerbacks on The Players’ Tribune.

37. Prince Amukamara, Chicago CB
PFF rating: 81.2
2017 salary: $7 million
Amukamara’s 81.2 rating is interesting because it came without an interception. In fact, the seventh-year pro has not had an interception in each of the last two years. Much of it has to do with targets. Kyle Fuller is second in the NFL in passes defended and also is set to hit free agency.

36. Tre Boston, Los Angeles Chargers S
PFF rating: 81.4
2017 salary: $900,000
Boston has become a hit on the NFL Network in addition to his play with the Chargers. He was released last year by Carolina in a cost-cutting move, only to lead the Chargers with five interceptions.

35. Eric Reid, San Francisco S
PFF rating: 81.4
2017 salary: $2.1 million
Reid followed in Colin Kaepernick’s steps by taking a knee during the national anthem. The 49ers safety said he is OK with that hurting his stock on the free-agent market this offseason.

34. Ross Cockrell, New York Giants CB
PFF rating: 81.6
2017 salary: $1.1 million
The Giants added Cockrell in a trade late in the preseason from Pittsburgh. He had three interceptions in 2017, including two during a Christmas Eve loss to Arizona.

33. Brent Grimes, Tampa Bay CB
PFF rating: 82.0
2017 salary: $6.7 million
Grimes will be 35 next season, and there is reportedly mutual interest between him and the Buccaneers for a maintaining their relationship.

32. Jarvis Landry, Miami WR
PFF rating: 82.0
2017 salary: $868,728
Landry’s services should be in higher demand because the Eagles re-signed Alshon Jeffrey in early December to a four-year extension worth $52 million. The former LSU player could be a boon for the Browns, if able to land him this offseason. Landry told the (South Florida) Sun-Sentinel he wants to stay in Miami, but not at all costs.

31. Terence Newman, Minnesota CB
PFF rating: 82.1
2017 salary: $3.2 million
Newman became the oldest active defensive player in the NFL for one week after the Steelers released James Harrison (later scooped up by New England). Newman told the St. Paul Pioneer Press in late December he is unsure about a 2018 return.

30. Dontari Poe, Atlanta DT
PFF rating: 82.1
2017 salary: $8 million
Along with Kansas City’s Bennie Logan, a former teammate, Poe is the most expensive defensive lineman entering this free agency market. The Chiefs let him go last year because of cost. The 6-foot-3, 346-pounder started all 16 games for Atlanta, helping the Falcons return to the playoffs.

29. Junior Galette, Washington LB
PFF rating: 82.4
2017 salary: $800,000
According to NBC Sports Washington in mid-December, Galette will seek a new team this offseason. He was used sparingly in 2017 as a pass rusher and missed two years early in his career in New Orleans with Achilles’ tendon tears. He had 14 tackles and three sacks for the Redskins, but appeared in all 16 games. In fact, Galette had 22 combined sacks in 2013 and ’14.

28. Sheldon Richardson, Seattle DT
PFF rating: 83.8
2017 salary: $2.5 million
Part of the Seahawks’ push to bolster their roster in 2017, Richardson came via trade with the New York Jets. Richardson said late in the year he expects to return to Seattle.

27. Mitch Unrein, Chicago DE
PFF rating: 83.9
2017 salary: $1.1 million
The Bears placed Unrein on injured reserve in late December. He started eight games in his seventh season, registering 1.5 sacks and 24 solo tackles. PFF ranked him 25th among interior linemen in the league, playing as an end in a 3-4 defense. His appeal this offseason will depend on teams’ schemes.

26. Jerick McKinnon, Minnesota RB
PFF rating: 83.9
2017 salary: $691,250
As a pass-catching back, McKinnon had 51 receptions for 421 yards helped the Vikings reach the playoffs. McKinnon had 991 yards from scrimmage in a timeshare with Latavius Murray after rookie Dalvin Cook was lost because of injury. Click here for a Minneapolis Star Tribune film breakdown of McKinnon.

25. Byron Maxwell, Seattle CB
PFF rating: 84.0
2017 salary: $900,000
Maxwell emerged from the group looking to replace injured Richard Sherman. One of his secrets is his mastery of the “Peanut Punch” to force fumbles. Maxwell got his start in Seattle before stops in Philadelphia and Miami.

24. Paul Posluszny, Jacksonville LB
PFF rating: 84.2
2017 salary: $5 million
The former Penn State linebacker reached the playoffs this year for the first time in his career. He started in 11 of 16 regular-season games, had just 1.5 sacks with 42 solo tackles, but graded higher in pass coverage (83.0) than run defense (78.7) or pass rush (65.3).

23. Kyle Fuller, Chicago CB
PFF rating: 84.3
2017 salary: $2.4 million
The other half of the Bears’ starting cornerbacks, also available this offseason, Fuller notched two interceptions in 2017. He also broke up 22 passes and is now coming out of his rookie contract.

22. T.J. Carrie, Oakland CB
2017 salary: $571,741
The Raiders’ coaching change could have a critical impact on Carrie’s status with the franchise. He started 15 games and broke up nine passes with no interceptions. PFF ranked him 23rd among cornerbacks despite those statistics.

21. Le'Veon Bell, Pittsburgh RB
2017 salary: $12.1 million
Bell signed this season for the franchise tag. The Steelers could do it again, but that could mean a $14.5 million cap hit. ESPN’s Field Yates listed the Browns as the best fit beyond Pittsburgh “if Bell is truly seeking an unprecedented deal.”

20. Alex Okafor, New Orleans DE
PFF rating: 84.7
2017 salary: $2 million
Okafor bounced back in 2017, signing a one-year deal with the Saints, before tearing his Achilles’ tendon in the second half of the season. He told NOLA.com in December, “I want to be back here. I was having a great year before I got hurt, and I just want to continue that.”

19. NaVorro Bowman, Oakland LB
PFF rating: 84.8
2017 salary: $2.6 million
Moving from inside linebacker in San Francisco’s 3-4 defense to middle linebacker in Oakland’s 4-3 led to a productive 2017. He expressed a desire in late December to The (San Jose) Mercury News of wanting to return in 2018.

18. Steven Terrell, Kansas City S
PFF rating: 84.9
2017 salary: $690,000
The Chiefs placed Terrell on injured reserve in December one day after collecting his first career interception. He played sparingly and started just two games before the injury, but played efficiently in that time. PFF gave him high marks for pass coverage and run defense.

17. Nickell Robey-Coleman, Los Angeles Rams CB
PFF rating: 85.2
2017 salary: $855,000
The Rams’ breakout 2017 season comes with a number of key players set for free agency. That includes receiver Sammy Watkins and safety LaMarcus Joyner. Robey-Coleman started just two games, but had two interceptions and nine breakups. PFF ranked him 20th among cornerbacks.

16. Jimmy Garoppolo, San Francisco QB
PFF rating: 85.2
2017 salary: $870,975
The chances of Garoppolo now hitting the market appear to be farfetched. The 49ers’ midseason acquisition of Garoppolo from the Patriots turned a one-win team into a squad that closed the year with five straight victories. GM John Lynch told The (San Jose) Mercury News, “We’ve had conversations with him and we know where he stands and we’re comfortable with that.”

15. Case Keenum, Minnesota QB
PFF rating: 85.4
Keenum stepped in for injured Sam Bradford and led the Vikings to the playoffs with an 11-3 record in the games he started. He threw for 3,547 yards and 22 touchdowns to seven interceptions. As of late December, the Vikings had yet to engage in contract talks with Keenum, according to CBSSports.com.

14. William Hayes, Miami DE
PFF rating: 85.6
2017 salary: $4.7 million
The Dolphins lost Hayes mid-season to a back injury. While active, he scored a 90.5 against the run, according to PFF, which ranked fifth in the league among defensive ends. Only Von Miller, Khalil Mack, Cameron Jordan and Calais Campbell were better.

13. Rashaan Melvin, Indianapolis CB
PFF rating: 85.7
2017 salary: $725,000
Melvin landed on injured reserve in December after leading the Colts in passes defended (13) and interceptions (three) through the first 10 games.

12. E.J. Gaines, Buffalo CB
PFF rating: 85.9
2017 salary: $581,918
The Bills added Gaines last year as part of the Sammy Watkins trade to the Rams. Gaines ranked 17th among cornerbacks this season, according to PFF, helping the Bills end their 17-year playoff drought.

11. Avery Williamson, Tennessee LB
PFF rating: 86.0
2017 salary: $603,613
A fifth-round pick in the 2014 draft, Williamson has produced in each of his four years with the Titans. He had 92 tackles, including 52 solo, in 2017 for Tennessee. He ranked ninth among linebackers by PFF and scored a 90.7 against the run, which put him in a class with Jacksonville’s Telvin Smith, Tampa Bay’s Lavonte David, Carolina’s Luke Kuechly, San Francisco’s Reuben Foster and Dallas’ Sean Lee.

10. Adrian Clayborn, Atlanta DE
PFF rating: 86.7
2017 salary: $4.2 million
Clayborn played a vital role in the Falcons’ 2016 run to the Super Bowl. He registered a career-high 9.5 sacks this season in Atlanta.

9. Demario Davis, New York Jets LB
PFF rating: 87.3
2017 salary: $2.2 million
This one could hurt. The Browns acquired Davis before the 2016 season and shipped him back to the Jets before this season. Davis told USA Today he was miserable during that season with the Browns, and the return to New York made him a Pro Bowl candidate with 97 solo tackles and five sacks. He ranked eighth among linebackers, according to PFF.

8. Drew Brees, New Orleans QB
PFF rating: 87.8
2017 salary: $24.2 million
Brees had been under contract through 2020, but he signed a one-year deal that included a $30 million signing bonus that frees him and the Saints to part ways. The Saints’ resurgence in 2017 could keep him in Louisiana.

7. Tyvon Branch, Arizona S
PFF rating: 88.5
Branch tore his ACL in November, which will hurt his ability to command much on the open market. However, in the first 10 weeks, Branch had 66 tackles. Coach Bruce Arians said at the time, “He’s probably the most consistent player we have on defense right now.” However, Branch’s injury risk is deeper than this season. His 2016 season was cut short by a groin injury.

6. Andrew Norwell, Carolina G
PFF rating: 88.7
2017 salary: $2.7 million
The former Ohio State lineman is arguably the best player at his position on the market. He ranked third among guards, according to PFF, with a league-best 90.7 rating for pass blocking.

5. Tramon Williams, Arizona CB
PFF rating: 88.8
How did the Browns get even worse from a 1-15 season in 2016? Try last year’s February release of Williams, who was under contract for $5.7 million and due a $1.2 million roster bonus. Williams’ agent, Rodney Williams, then told cleveland.com, “Tramon says he has a lot of football left in him. It’s obvious the direction they were going, so he welcomes this.” Williams’ gain — as the second cornerback to Patrick Peterson — proved to be the Browns’ loss.

4. Dion Lewis, New England Patriots RB
PFF rating: 89.4
2017 salary: $1.3 million
Remember, this is based on PFF’s player grades that factor rushing, receiving and blocking. Lewis received the third-highest grade at running back behind the Rams’ Todd Gurley and New Orleans rookie Alvin Kamara. Lewis rushed for 896 yards, averaged 5.0 per carry, and caught 32 passes for another 214 yards. He scored nine touchdowns while helping the Patriots earn the top seed in the AFC playoffs.

3. LaMarcus Joyner, Los Angeles Rams S
PFF rating: 90.1
2017 salary: $1.2 million
The Rams’ new coaching staff in 2017 moved Joyner from nickel cornerback to his natural safety position, here he thrived at Florida State. He is just 5-foot-8 but ranked third among safeties, according to PFF. The Rams will have decisions to make this offseason. In addition to Joyner, contracts are up for cornerback Trumaine Johnson (who played under the franchise tag), cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman and safety Cody Davis.

2. Patrick Robinson, Philadelphia CB
PFF rating: 90.7
2017 salary: $775,000
A year ago, a cornerback in his 30s probably would not have been a target for a Sashi Brown-led front office. That could be different for the Browns under John Dorsey. A 2010 first-round pick from Florida State, Robinson proved vital to the Eagles’ playoff run in 2017 as a slot cornerback. He joined Philadelphia on a one-year deal.

1. DeMarcus Lawrence, Dallas DE
PFF rating: 94.1
2017 salary: $1.3 million
Lawrence provided the Cowboys pass rush with 14.5 sacks, which tied for second in the league with Jacksonville’s Calais Campbell and behind Arizona’s Chandler Jones with 17. Lawrence will be 26 years old and has made it clear he does not anticipate leaving Dallas. “I know how the Cowboys feel about me,” he said via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, “and they know how I feel about the organization. My agent is going to take care of everything, and he knows how everyone feels.”

Kirk Cousins and notable omissions:

Among unrestricted free agents, Kirk Cousins checked in at No. 53 (fourth among quarterbacks) with a PFF rating of 78.9. He made $23.9 million last year and has remained with the Redskins as a result of the franchise tag. Another one could pay him $34.47 million, according to Sports Illustrated, meaning he is likely to hit the market or finally sign a long-term deal in D.C. Cousins is 29 years old.

Here is who else missed the top 50, but is worth noting:

Sam Bradford, Minnesota QB — 68.9
Teddy Bridgewater, Minnesota QB — 63.6
Morgan Burnett, Green Bay S — 77.3
Jay Cutler, Miami QB — 62.5
Vontae Davis, Indianapolis CB — N/A
Tyler Eifert, Cincinnati TE — 75.2
Cameron Fleming, New England OT — 75.8
Jimmy Graham, Seattle TE — 53.8
John Greco, New York Giants G — 77.6
Luke Joeckel, Seattle G — 44.5
Trumaine Johnson, Los Angeles Rams CB — 74.3
Marqise Lee, Jacksonville WR — 78.4
Josh McCown, New York Jets QB — 77.1
Terrelle Pryor, Washington WR — 43.1
Geno Smith, New York Giants QB — 77.4
Nate Solder, New England OT — 74.6
T.J. Ward, Tampa Bay S — 74.4
Sammy Watkins, Los Angeles Rams WR — 78.4

Top restricted free agents:

Cincinnati Bengals backup quarterback A.J. McCarron will be a restricted free agent this offseason. Considering the chances are lower to acquire restricted free agents, here are some of the highest-rated players with that distinction.

The following players — noted as restricted free agents or exclusive-rights free agents — received at least an 80 rating from PFF.:

Cameron Brate, Tampa Bay TE (RFA) — 80.0
Bryce Callahan, Chicago CB (RFA) — 82.9
Justin Coleman, Seattle CB (RFA) — 81.8
Alex Collins, Baltimore RB (ERFA) — 87.6
Anthony Harris, Minnesota S (RFA) — 81.5
Shelby Harris, Denver DE (RFA) — 81.2
Mike Hilton, Pittsburgh CB (ERFA) — 84.0
David Irving, Dallas DT (RFA) — 83.4
Dion Jordan, Seattle DE (RFA) — 83.6
Trevor Williams, Los Angeles Chargers CB (ERFA) — 88.5
Xavier Williams, Arizona DT (RFA) — 80.8

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I certainly don't believe that there will be much if any trades where you give up draft picks for players. Maybe some lower round picks but that's not a common thing. It does however make sense to me should the opportunity arise.

When you look at this roster and all of the youth we have one it, it doesn't seem to me that bringing in 12 draft picks should be the way to go however. For too long for the most part we have used trade downs to pick up more players of lower value. I would like to see us use lower picks in trade up scenarios where we walk away from the draft with maybe seven or eight picks of higher value.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
j\c
Why in heavens name would any solid free agent come to a team with a 1 and 31 coach that has a habit of throwing his players under the bus ....just sayin

C
Legend
Legend
C
Veterans available for trade are an undervalued asset. Every year there are guys that get traded and we say, "They got [player x] for what?"

If the player and contract fit, we should make the trade. We have so many picks that many of them won't make the team (or force other young cheap guys off the roster).

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Kyle Fuller CB
EJ Gaines CB
Jarvis Landry WR

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I would like to see us use lower picks in trade up scenarios where we walk away from the draft with maybe seven or eight picks of higher value.

I'm on board with that statement, Pit...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: kwhip
Kyle Fuller CB
EJ Gaines CB
Jarvis Landry WR

All of these guys are free agents.

Legend
Legend
There are a lot of possibilities in there for fixing our secondary, and while I don't want to invest heavily at RB, if Crowell leaves, I'd pay Bell to fill the spot just so that we can also hurt Pittsburgh.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: dean_fairchild
Wasn’t sure wether to put this here or in the draft forum.

Ok, so with one of the youngest if not the youngest roster in the NFL this year, do you think Dorsey will take some of this years draft capital and use that to make some trades for some veteran players or does he stand pat and use all of our picks and continue with the youth movement so to speak? If you think trade, for who?

I look for us to trade some picks for Veteran Help and to move up in the draft, I look for us to use 7-8 picks for rookie talent and use the rest for Vets + bringing in FA's such as QB, FS, CB, ILB, WR and OL ... JMHO

Last edited by PastorMarc; 01/10/18 03:35 PM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Kyle Fuller CB
EJ Gaines CB
Jarvis Landry WR

Pulled from a list posted above titled "NFL free agents 2018: Top 50 players, potential fits for the Browns", so I imagine he knows they are free agents.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Do we now already how many comp picks we might receive or will receive for certain? Those would be vet picks, would they not?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Kyle Fuller CB
EJ Gaines CB
Jarvis Landry WR

Pulled from a list posted above titled "NFL free agents 2018: Top 50 players, potential fits for the Browns", so I imagine he knows they are free agents.

I THOUGHT that's where I was going with that. Lol.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Kyle Fuller CB
EJ Gaines CB
Jarvis Landry WR

I like your list. I doubt they let Fuller walk though. But I'm down if they do!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Do we now already how many comp picks we might receive or will receive for certain? Those would be vet picks, would they not?

I think that our signings of Britt, Tretter, and Zeittler, cancel put any compensatory picks.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
The talent on that FA list will most certainly dwindle between now and the time the FA signing period opens. It does every year. But at least for now some people can dream, right? lol

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg

I think that our signings of Britt, Tretter, and Zeittler, cancel put any compensatory picks.

We didn't lose any significant free agents (Pryor is the only one I can remember off the top of my head), so weren't getting any compensatory picks anyway (I'm guessing it's part of the reason we signed several free agents).

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Kyle Fuller CB
EJ Gaines CB
Jarvis Landry WR

Sorry. I thought he was saying we should trade for those guys.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
With all that depth in the FA market for DB’s, and all the cap room we have, we should really be able to fix some holes in our secondary.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Veterans vs. draft picks.

Link Copied to Clipboard