Print Thread
#1428361 03/26/18 09:50 PM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
So here's the list of the top tackle prospects coming out:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018OT.php

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-ranking-the-ot-prospects-for-the-2018-nfl-draft

1. MIKE MCGLINCHEY, NOTRE DAME
McGlinchey’s three-year sample of grading is about as good as we’ve seen since we started grading college players and easily tops in this class. The fact that he’s done it at both left and right tackle makes it that much easier a projection to the next level. He’s far from a perfect prospect, but he does so many things well that he’s ascended to the top of this class.

2. CONNOR WILLIAMS, TEXAS
Scrap Williams’ injury-riddled 2017 tape and go back to his sophomore year. That season he was utterly dominant and allowed only four pressures all season. Not many true sophomores are capable of the level of play we saw from Williams in 2016, as he flashed all the tools necessary to be a high-level tackle in the NFL.

3. ORLANDO BROWN, OKLAHOMA
Brown has more reps on tape that make you say ‘wow’ than any offensive tackle in this class. He quite simply engulfs defensive linemen on a regular basis. He may struggle with speed at times, but he’s impervious to the bull-rush with his size and length (didn’t allow a single bull-rush pressure all year).

4. JAMARCO JONES, OHIO STATE
Jones wins the award for prettiest pass sets in the entire class. That’s even more encouraging considering how little Ohio State’s offense asked him to take true pass sets. He’s already NFL ready in that regard and has improved every season of his college career.

5. TYRELL CROSBY, OREGON
Crosby is arguably the most physical tackle in the entire class. He’s also another player who has done it on both the left and right side in the college ranks. Crosby’s not going to win any awards for his athleticism, and could ultimately end up at guard, but he’s an easy projection as a run-blocker.

6. BRIAN O’NEILL, PITTSBURGH
O’Neill is a terrific athlete for the position and possesses some of the best mirroring ability in the entire class. His punch and play strength are lacking at the moment though, and it’s concerning how poorly he performed Senior Bowl week. While there, he won only 27 percent of his reps in 1-on-1 practice.

7. KOLTON MILLER, UCLA
Miller has the size and athleticism to stay at tackle at the next level, but he’ll need to add a good deal of strength to be a quality player at the next level. He was bull-rushed far too frequently against college defenders and that issue will only increase exponentially in the NFL.

8. MARTINAS RANKIN, MISSISSIPPI STATE
Rankin is one of the few extremely long-armed tackles who already knows how to utilize that length advantage properly. His slow feet could cause a rocky transition to the NFL however and he allowed 18 pressures on only 247 pass-blocking snaps this past season.

9. CHUKWUMA OKORAFOR, WESTERN MICHIGAN
Okorafor is nothing more than a projection at this point. His size, length and athleticism scream NFL tackle, but his technique and physicality leave a lot to be desired. One would expect a tackle of his caliber to dominant against the competition Okorafor faced, but that was all too infrequently the case.

10. WILL RICHARDSON, N.C. STATE
Richardson took a huge step forward in 2017 and allowed only five pressures all season long and never more than one in a single game at right tackle for the Wolfpack. Richardson has a handful of off-field issues that could drop him down boards, though, including a DUI as a freshman and a two-game suspension for marijuana this past season.

So i'm not gonna pretend to know much of anything about offensive lineman, although i am learning, but this is something i feel like maybe we dont talk enough about?

we really need to fix that spot. and while we brought in some guys recently to compete, i feel like it would be good to draft a guy for the foreseeable future.

when would you draft a RT? late 1st, early 2nd? who is the guy you guys would target?

and just in general, what do you guys look for when it comes to playing the tackle spot? just trying to educate myself.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1428364 03/26/18 09:55 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I would look for a left tackle first. If Orlando Brown is there in the 4th, I wouldn't mind drafting him. If he really works on his technique he could be a Philip Loadholt type of RT. Wouldn't take him a pick earlier. For left tackle I would seriously consider Brian O'Neill or a late flyer on Jamarco. But our best bet would be to see how we do this year before drafting a left tackle, just because it's a weak class and we have bigger needs.

Swish #1428366 03/26/18 10:04 PM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
We just signed Hubbard to a 36m contract to play right tackle, no need to draft one at all.

Swish #1428367 03/26/18 10:05 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I haven't studied the OL guys this year so I can't help in that area. I can address this question:

Quote:
what do you guys look for when it comes to playing the tackle spot?

--The RT isn't as reliant on good feet as your LT. However, teams are moving speed rushers around and there are more speed rushers than ever before, thus he still needs good feet.

--What does "good feet" mean? It's the ability to move laterally while maintaining a knee bend w/your chest over your thighs. It's about balance and quick feet.

--The RT is generally a better run blocker than the LT. You want a guy who can stone a guy at the LOS, but even more importantly, work his way to the second level after chipping a T at the LOS and then moving to pick up the first guy who crosses his face.

--RT's benefit that most teams are right handed and the in-line TE generally lines up on his side.

--RT's, like all offensive linemen, need to work in tandem w/their teammates. Last year, we saw Coleman completely be lost on which guy to block. He would double guys and let another run free. That can be improved w/experience. Not sure his feet will ever improve enough, though.

clwb419 #1428376 03/26/18 10:30 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: clwb419
We just signed Hubbard to a 36m contract to play right tackle, no need to draft one at all.
I cut and pasted this from a thread in the Pure Football Forum;

The Browns plan to hold a competition between Shon Coleman, Spencer Drango and free-agent acquisition Donald Stephenson for the starting left tackle job that 10-time Pro Bowl selection Joe Thomas left behind when he retired two weeks ago.

But would Dorsey like to draft a rookie to add to the position battle?

“Let’s see what happens,” he said. “I’ve always thought you have to acquire an offensive lineman every year. This year will be no different.”

I would expect we draft an OL somewhere in this draft. Yes, he has already acquired 2, but by saying "This year will be no different," he pretty much announced there will be an OL pick in the draft.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
Originally Posted By: clwb419
I cut and pasted this from a thread in the Pure Football Forum;

The Browns plan to hold a competition between Shon Coleman, Spencer Drango and free-agent acquisition Donald Stephenson for the starting left tackle job that 10-time Pro Bowl selection Joe Thomas left behind when he retired two weeks ago.

But would Dorsey like to draft a rookie to add to the position battle?

“Let’s see what happens,” he said. “I’ve always thought you have to acquire an offensive lineman every year. This year will be no different.”

I would expect we draft an OL somewhere in this draft. Yes, he has already acquired 2, but by saying "This year will be no different," he pretty much announced there will be an OL pick in the draft.

Sure he may draft an OL, but there are 5 positions and this post was specifically about RT. With the signing of Hubbard, there is no need to take one, at least not until day 3 (all the guys swish posted are likely day 1 or 2). If one falls to day 3, sure grab him.

clwb419 #1428420 03/27/18 06:54 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
We won't take a O lineman in the first unless we trade back in to the 1st round.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #1428441 03/27/18 09:11 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
We won't take a O lineman in the first unless we trade back in to the 1st round.
Yeah, or unless we do something stupid and trade back from 4 into the late teens or something.

If I had to guess, we're going to go QB and Chubb/Barkley at 4 or Ward if we trade back a bit.

Then RB, DB, OT

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Swish #1428450 03/27/18 09:30 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
First off thank you for the thread, it will be a relief to talk about something else other than QB. wink

1. We do not have a 7th round pick, if I'm wrong please advise. Our pick #205 (we got from the Pats) I would like for us to get the rights to Bret Toth, Army. He will have to serve 2 years and then join the team. He is 6'6" 286. They simply do not get them too big in the Army as football is not their goal.

But he has the frame to add 20 lbs. The kid is the best LT candidate in this draft. He has the feet and skill set to become a great one. So I would like to lead off with that.

2. If healthy Conner Williams is the best OT in this draft.

3. If healthy I like Tyler Crosby for RT, kid is a beast.

4. I really like Alex Cappa, Humbolt State. 6'7" 305. Has a mean streak in him...he played LT but will be a RT in the NFL. 5th round sound about right!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1428487 03/27/18 10:33 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
1. We do not have a 7th round pick, if I'm wrong please advise. Our pick #205 (we got from the Pats) I would like for us to get the rights to Bret Toth, Army. He will have to serve 2 years and then join the team. He is 6'6" 286. They simply do not get them too big in the Army as football is not their goal.

But he has the frame to add 20 lbs. The kid is the best LT candidate in this draft. He has the feet and skill set to become a great one. So I would like to lead off with that.

See, but two years out of football, where does that leave him when he gets here?

I mean, he'll be in the army, not focusing on becoming the next LT. He'll probably lose weight, not bulk up. I get that it's just the end of the 6th round pick, but seems like it won't work out to me.

Quote:
2. If healthy Conner Williams is the best OT in this draft.

This guy intrigues me, but I've heard nothing but bad things about him. Poor character and lazy or something like that

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
D
Legend
Legend
D
Dude from Pitt ... their LT had no problems with it ... thumbsup

DiamDawg #1428500 03/27/18 10:44 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Dude from Pitt ... their LT had no problems with it ... thumbsup

hmm. That's true. But I don't understand. He was trying out with teams before he did his tour of duty (at least that's what wikipedia says). He got no interest, went and did his tour, then came back to the NFL, and paid to enter a combiine

Had they signed him, would his duty be deferred?

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
D
Legend
Legend
D
More than likely not ... they used to make acceptions ... many many many moons ago ... not anymore ... but i’m not sure ...

I think tabber has a BRILLIANT IDEA ... thumbsup

eotab #1428525 03/27/18 11:20 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
4. I really like Alex Cappa, Humbolt State. 6'7" 305. Has a mean streak in him...he played LT but will be a RT in the NFL. 5th round sound about right!

jmho

Yeah, he's my sleeper pick as well.

I like that Dorsey has filled most of our major holes in Free Agency. We'll be able to approach the draft without having to draft for need. If some of these RT's drop to the second round because of runs on QBs or other positions, then we'll be in a good spot to pick one up. If they happen to go early, then we can wait around until the later rounds to pick up a project.

Swish #1428981 03/28/18 02:41 AM
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I think Brian O'Neill out of Pit and Geron Christian out of Louisville would be possible LT candidates. I think both need to develop but O'Neill especially has the athleticism to make it on the left side.

Swish #1429563 03/29/18 11:55 AM
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Right tackle? I think Tyrell Crosby, Joseph Notebloom, or Will Richardson could be an option, also could be swing tackle/future LT types. But I think Hubbard will do better then expected there.

E
Legend
Legend
E
6th round pick is no risk. 2 years away keeps him healthy hopefully and he will be in shape the Army will see to that. 2 years go by quick and we are talking LT here a difficult position to obtain the skill set. I'm talking he is an excellent prospect. And as opposed to who? A kid trying to make special teams?

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Right Tackle?

Link Copied to Clipboard