Print Thread
T
teedub Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
T
https://reason.com/blog/2018/08/13/batwoman-ruby-rose-disney-lesbian-gay

WTF is wrong with people these days. This has to be a result of some brain rotting disease for people to think like this.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: teedub
https://reason.com/blog/2018/08/13/batwoman-ruby-rose-disney-lesbian-gay

WTF is wrong with people these days. This has to be a result of some brain rotting disease for people to think like this.

Yeah, but I suspect it's a very minority of people that actually think this way.

I think it's a story that's probably blown out of proportion. If there's 1 million comments on a story and 10 of them are in this way, but an article gets written about it, what does the article really say?

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Agreed that this is a very small group saying this. I wonder if any of them get paid to say it as well. I listen to a pop culture podcast ran by a black gay dude, a black woman and a gay white white guy. So it's pretty #inclusive and #intersectional :eyeroll: and they didn't have a problem with the casting. They also noted how gay actors play straight people a lot. One guy did have a good point that a lot of gay characters are written by straight people who really play up their characteristics, thus gay people want to play the character a little differently (more realistic) and as a result, they are less likely to get casted.

My thought is that DC is trying to cash in on the success of wonder woman by having a ton of female starred movies. I recently saw an article about how they think that a super girl series will be their cash cow. I hate their movie team so much.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Shame on the producers who give one [censored] about people complaining about who they pick.

Like I care if James Bond is black or if a straight man plays a gay man. Don't like it? Produce your own movies!

T
Legend
Legend
T
James Bond is not a black character. Would you care if say Jim Belushi played Mohamud Ali,

ok, I have to go character not real life person...

Would you care if say Kevin James played "Fat Albert"?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
James Bond is not a black character. Would you care if say Jim Belushi played Mohamud Ali,

I didnt even like when Ray Liotta played Shoeless Joe Jackson in Field of Dreams ... he's not left handed

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

James bond is British. Being white has little to do with it these days. Idris Elba wouldn't play the role but ... It's hard to think he wouldn't play a really good bond for instance.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
You just compared a fictional character to a real person.

Illogical as all hell.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
T
Legend
Legend
T
Where I wrote there were only 3 lines, the 2nd and 3rd lines are addressing fictional character to fictional character.

To the other poster: I don't know who Iris Alderba or whoever is.

To Dt'ers.

These Browns are only going to go as far as Carlos Hyde takes em,
If it was any other given year and You heard the Browns were facing Tyrod Taylor and Carlos Hyde, would you think you had no chance of beating them?

No you'd think you have all the chance in the world to win that day, bottom line the Browns are going to face an uphill battle Every Week.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Maybe we should have a white Shaft next.

No Craps Given
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Where I wrote there were only 3 lines, the 2nd and 3rd lines are addressing fictional character to fictional character.

To the other poster: I don't know who Iris Alderba or whoever is.

To Dt'ers.

These Browns are only going to go as far as Carlos Hyde takes em,
If it was any other given year and You heard the Browns were facing Tyrod Taylor and Carlos Hyde, would you think you had no chance of beating them?

No you'd think you have all the chance in the world to win that day, bottom line the Browns are going to face an uphill battle Every Week.

Idris Elba

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: Swish
You just compared a fictional character to a real person.

Illogical as all hell.

Believe it or not, James Bond was based on real person(s) or person, depending on what article you read.

my two cents...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
OH my , I could say something to that that would be so dirty i would get banned for longer than two months this time

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

As long as it’s Mark walberg.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M

He could do it.

my two cents...
Legend
Legend
This is one of those issues that I don't understand why some folks are so hung up on it.

If an actor is playing a real person, the actor needs to be able to capture the essence of that persons character and yes, similar appearance obviously helps.

Playing a fictional character, who really cares? I guess I'm torn a little.. I would like to see minorities have a character of their own to really relate to and build into their own franchise... but the character of James Bond could be black or female or whatever...

yebat' Putin
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: MrTed

He could do it.

Marky Mark is too focused on revitalizing Columbus's economy.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
This is one of those issues that I don't understand why some folks are so hung up on it.

If an actor is playing a real person, the actor needs to be able to capture the essence of that persons character and yes, similar appearance obviously helps.

Playing a fictional character, who really cares? I guess I'm torn a little.. I would like to see minorities have a character of their own to really relate to and build into their own franchise... but the character of James Bond could be black or female or whatever...

the problem is due to the fact that traditionally, you still need a white male as the lead role in order to get people to watch. i dont have a problem with the roles, by the way. i go see jason statham movies no matter how bad they might be (the Meg was REALLY good, imo)

Edris elba playing bond would be awesome.....but it wont be awesome as far as making money goes. just look at how many people are currently ticked off that bond MIGHT be played by him.

check this out:

this video has been floated around FB, IG, Twitter and other places.

people clearly care. this isn't a topic where we can reasoning go "who really cares". i mean damn bro, people were ticked off that keanu reeves played Constantine in the movie, because he didnt have blonde hair like constantine does in the comics.

there's very few examples of black, or woman, or anything else being the main lead and it being a massive hit in relation to white male leads.

i mean damn bro. we got two white dudes in lead roles in Exodus: Gods and Kings.

now, christian bale is one of my favorite actors. and i liked the movie. but just as it relates to this topic.....they couldnt get some African or arab actors for the role?

so on one hand i personally dont care, but on the other, i FULLY understand why people have a problem with the roll. the issue is that its less to do with hollywood, and more to do with the people who pay to see the movie. we have to discussion all the time in PP with regards to businesses doing things to make sure they dont lose customers, like the NFL recent policy on protest.

im sure the NFL would have loved to just leave the issue alone, but the customer (read: white people) demanded something be done. well hollywood would love to have more diversity, but the pay customers want to see white males dominate the rolls.

its a double edge sword where as we are right now, nobody wins

Last edited by Swish; 08/27/18 10:50 AM.

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It's funny that this came up because Swish and I chatted a little bit about the rumors of Elba being the next Bond in PM. We both agreed that we think he'd be an awesome Bond, but we were also bothered that if he did become the next Bond we'd get.. well, basically what's being discussed here instead of the opportunity for a legit actor to bring an entertaining iteration of a long standing character.

When ti comes to the James Bond character specifically.. .there are some things that matter, and some that don't.

First, yes, the character of Bond is loosely based on a real person. But I think when we got to the point of top secret bases hidden inside volcano craters, and short Asian men throwing boler hats that can cut the head off a stone statue, it's a bit silly to hold dogmatically to the historical persona.

Let's be honest, no one cares that Denzel played me in Man on Fire, a movie inspired about DevilDawg's time in South America.

James Bond's race is one of those characteristics that largely doesn't change the character. The only time race was an aspect of the character was in You Only Live Twice when Connery had some bushy eyebrows put on so Bond could go undercover as a Japanese dude. But past that? Race was never required to blend in. Hello Roger Moore bee boppin through Harlem???

Other aspects of Bond IMO aren't as interchangable such as the womanizing. It's a hard rationale for a gay Bond to bed the next "Bond Girl"... and if a woman played Bond, the womanizing starts to put the film in a whole nother category, like the one that belongs in the special room at the back of the video rental store.

In the end it sucks because I heard Idris Elba will not be the next Bond frown

Last edited by DevilDawg2847; 08/27/18 01:27 PM. Reason: I should have enough respect to spell Harlem correctly

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend
I get it bro that the people who are paying millions for this movie to be made have to make a decision based on how it will sell, not just how good it will be, since the two aren't always as related as we might think. I can only speak for myself and I would watch it..

Love Elba, watching Luther on Netflix right now.

Elba as Bond, the bond girl could be Iranian.. sign me up, might as well go all in. tongue

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
it sucks, he would've made a great Bond.

the only other guy i can say can be a good Bond then is Tom Hiddleston (Loki from Thor). i think he has the swagger to play that role really well.

but overall, im less concerned with those sort of demographics than i am over the absolute lack of American actor/actresses with the "it" factor to even play those sort of roles.

the british have came here and dominated our blockbusters, because they seem to have soooo much more range than american actors do sometimes.

who can really play that bond kind of franchise? nevermind a person of color, i dont think we have ANYBODY who can carry that sort of spy franchise.

our american spy movies are completely tactical based. ya know, squared jaw, military dudes.

Cruise, Diesel, and the Rock are our biggest action stars, and its always the same military-tactical style movies over and over again.

Will Smith used to be that dude, but he fell off. as far as Male roles, we have a lot more diversity than ever. the problem is when it comes to these blockbuster franchises....its kinda the same kind of roles.

meanwhile, Jason statham had a succesfful franchise run with the Transporter, and came here and is in a lot of our Movies. Daniel Craig....pft, if my wife cheated on me with him, i wouldnt even be mad. straight up.

our female roles have been growing, but the Gal Gabot, who's playing wonder woman, is Israeli.

Tom Holland? our new spiderman?

British.

sometimes i wonder if it's diversity as far as ethnicity, or diversity as far as nationality thats the bigger problem.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Elba is an incredibly talented actor. Bond? Why not? I think he could definitely be a great Bond.

Heck, they just made Dr Who into a woman ..... so why not?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Elba is an incredibly talented actor. Bond? Why not? I think he could definitely be a great Bond.

Heck, they just made Dr Who into a woman ..... so why not?

If Dr. Who can be a woman, I think Elba should hold out for Dr. Quinn, Medicine Man.

#GMSTRONG
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Britian has one of the best theatre programs in the world and has a population of 65 million people. The young talent will rise. If we had AAU teams for theatre, we could home grow a Spiderman. I don't know if you guys have seen Sharp Objects on HBO, but the young sister is also British.

That said I feel like US spy missions are nothing like the Bond movies. I don't know if I could take a movie like that seriously.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Gay actress "not gay enough" to play a gay character

Link Copied to Clipboard