Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

I'm confused by some of the criticism I'm seeing.

1. Ogbah and Peppers getting criticized, including the OP mentioning that Peppers should be cut? I don't get the irrational hatred of by these kids. They looked fantastic. Peppers looks to have taken a leap, and Ogbah was only slightly less disruptive that Garrett. Garrett and Ogbah look like absolute monsters out there who are going to give quarterbacks headaches all year. These are still young players getting familiar with the game, but they've already shown notable improvement and did some really great things out there.

2. I love seeing the offense struggle but doing so in a mistake-free way. The Eagles offense struggled, but consistently turned the ball over. Our only turnover was a result Mayfield passing as the receiver got knocked off the ball. Charley Casserly made a video on how that wasn't on Baker, and I completely agree. On a night of poor offensive football, the Browns couldn't move the chains. The Eagles couldn't move the chains also, but they consistently turned the ball over. The Browns also showed a willingness to go for it, but in a real game, points at a premium had us on, near or in FG range a further three times or four times. Gonzalez nailing a 54 yarder (His range looked like he could have hit up to 57), combined with the defense, shows that conservative, mistake free football could be influential in winning efforts this year. I can't be mad at 19/28 for 141 yards - especially when Johnson and Njoku are still being stashed away as secret weapons, and Gordon will soon return. This offense is hiding how damn explosive it can really be.

- Can't say enough about the D. Utterly magnificent. All those turnovers, and still a few missed. Foles was nearly pick-sixed early and there were still a few almost-stops that picked up a couple. Not to reward an "almost" effort, but emphasize how good teams will have to be just to move the chains.

- I think people are making a big deal about the throwing in the red-zone, etc. It looked like Haley forcing some situational football; and doing so without easy options like a jump ball to Njoku or some sneaky Duke Johnson trickery. We saw in week one that our running backs can nail it in, we needed to get some practice passing it.

- The rushing was quietly good again. Chubb, Hyde and Duke combined for 23 rushes, gaining 104 yards. They started red hot, and I feel like Haley took his foot off the gas after that. The ground game isn't drawing a lot of praise, but it looks poised for a fantastic year.

- It's still the preseason. We should be thankful for ugly games. Get it all out of the way, get it all on tape, and give yourselves something to learn from. At the end of the day, it was still a hard nosed in against the reigning superbowl champs in which the Browns didn't choke. It didn't need to be perfect, it needed to be a step in the right direction.

I can't think of the last time this team played so well while playing poorly. If our worst this year is a great D and a mistake-free offense with a decent ground game, then I'm looking forward to the year.

BDU #1493802 08/24/18 09:20 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/most of what you say and Peppers did have that nice tackle on Ertz, but his lack of coverage skills were on display multiple times last night.

I wouldn't cut him. I think he has some potential. But overall, he's been disappointing given his draft status.

I agree w/most of the rest of what you said. Well, I don't think Ogbah was all that, either. And I'm the guy who was championing him before the draft.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
We’ll be much better on O come 9/9 ...

Two more weeks of practice for the rook on the OL and the left side of the OL ... THATS HUGE .... Zietler being out is a real bummer on two fronts ... we need him and he’s not building chemistry with Hubbard ...

- Josh best be back well before then ... hopefully he’s cleared to practice by tomorrow ...

- Zietler and Calloway will be back .... hopefully Zietler will be by then ...

- two more weeks of reps for TT and his skill position players ....

We can do some things on O ... our run game is capable ... we struggled in the run game week 1 and have improved each week ... and we’ve played 3 DAMM GOOD FRONT 7’S ... it wasn’t all roses against the Iggles but taking everything into consideration they did one hell of a job ... its really a shame Hyde’s gonna get hurt ... he’s pretty damm good ...

last night was as bad as TT will play ... he is what he is ... hes not great by any stretch and has his share of faults ... but he is capable of walking and chewing gum most of the time ... *L* ...

We’ve got enough talent around him to keep us in games ... were not gonna need TT to win games for us he just needs to make a few plays and NOT LOSE THEM ...

Not to mention that this is probably TTs last chance to be the man without competition and Baker is in the wings... If TT comes out for any reason and Baker handles business win or lose, it will be baker's Team from that point forward. TT knows this, so we should be able to expect the best he can do at all times this season.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

A little early to be posting about this, but I wonder what will happen in the fourth preseason game.

Starters usually just don't play, so I imagine we'll see, at most, a single drive from Tyrod Taylor. I wonder how much Baker Mayfield will play in the finale.

As much as it sucks for poor BRObie, he's not been playing because he isn't going to make the team. It's Taylor, Mayfield and Stanton. Always has been.

Personally, I'd love for Jackson to announce that Mayfield will play three quarters, with Stanton getting the final quarter.

Relating it back to the thread, the Eagles game was certainly ugly for Mayfield. I don't put the interception on him, but 8/12 for 76 yards isn't the kind of performance Mayfield wants.

"Not my best game by any means, obviously whenever you turn the ball over it's not your best, but we just have a ways to go. Disappointed in myself. Got in there with the first team, gotta get the ball out quicker, and then in the second half just the right decisions. Even on the play where I threw the interception, the shallow got bumped a little bit over the middle but there was a nice one-on-one on the outside that I think: Just where we're at on the field, and also how the game has been going, take advantage of those one-on-one shots when we get them. They're a team that they played pretty much off the whole game, tried to make us throw underneath, and those are the types of shots that when you get them, you gotta take advantage. Things that, as I look back on tape, I'll definitely improve from; but not my best work, at all."

I think it would be a smart move to give him the final preseason game to hone his craft. If we're lucky, that will be his last opportunity for extended playing time this season. So give him as much time as possible to figure things out.

Fourth preseason game is my favourite. The overall talent level drops, but the intensity ramps up as the bubble squad fights for the 53, and in most cases, their careers.

Frankly, I wouldn't be against Mayfield playing from start to finish. Stanton could use the reps, but it seems clear Mayfield has solidified himself as the #2 QB, so the additional playing time might help him with a little extra experience.

With that said, I won't be against Mayfield getting the first quarter, Stanton getting the second and some of the third, and BRObie taking it the rest of the way.

BDU #1493812 08/24/18 10:01 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
With that said, I won't be against Mayfield getting the first quarter, Stanton getting the second and some of the third, and BRObie taking it the rest of the way.

I think similarly. TT one series. Baker 3 series. Drew the rest of the first half. Bro the second half.

Legend
Legend
Honestly why have a fourth preseason game?

Talk about waste. Who would pay to go see that game?

Legend
Legend
Isaiah Crowell was glad for a 4th preseason game. He won a job based upon his performance in that final preseason game.

Given that the final cuts don't happen until after that final game, a lot of young players get a chance to impress, either the Browns, or another team.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
That's true, but I think it has more to do w/the owners exploiting their season ticket holders and making them pay full price for a game that is hard to watch.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Not going to get into the player squabbles. Just going from memory on what I saw in no particular order other than what jumps to mind first.

- Tyrod is a tough son of a gun. The attitude and determination he showed a is what's been missing from this team since 1999. If Tyrod is a total bust as a QB the 3rd round pick was worth getting Tyrod's leadership and toughness influencing the other players.

- Baker didn't have a great game but in all honesty the gulf between him and TT is not enormous which is good.

- Thought the OL play was poor which affected what both QB's could do.

- We ran the ball pretty well in spurts - I like what I saw from Hyde. If he plays like that he's definitely and upgrade. Chubb was more decisive.

- Defense played well and brought pressure, something we have not seen on a regular basis in ages.

- Garrett is a genuine beast - able to influence any and every play. Lord willing he and Ogbah stay healthy.

- STILL no update on Ward ... hope he bounces back. He does stand out when he plays. Unlike Pepers - Ward seems to read the game and he's in the right place at the right time. It will be fun watching him duel with some of the WR's we go up against.

- I doubt we have many more games with so many turnovers - but it was fun to watch.

Last edited by mgh888; 08/25/18 09:27 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: mgh888
- STILL no update on Ward ... hope he bounces back.

"Denzel Ward, he has some back spasms from the way that he was twisted by attempting to make that tackle last night. We do not think that he will miss much time, if any," Jackson said.

OBR

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I agree about Garrett ... he was literally in on every play .. a huge impact

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
S
Legend
Legend
S
My first post after a game this year.

The first two games went well I thought. Some things to clean up obviously, especially penalties, but I thought otherwise the first team looks pretty good.

As far as the other night goes, Philadelphia did not play a very good game. I know they had a few guys out, but the pressure and speed presented by the Browns was too much for the Eagles. It was cool to see.

I know it's preseason, and week 1 against the Steelers will be much tougher, but it's hard not to get excited about the talent this team has. They have talent all over the field on both sides of the ball.

I think we will move the ball better this year, but I still think we may struggle at times making big plays. You can keep converting first downs, keep the chains moving, and have long 6 minute drives, but the league is not really built on that as much as it is you cashing in on a big play when you can.

When you have to keep converting on 3rd down, because you didn't make a big enough play on first or second, eventually a good defense will shut you down. That was kind of the Browns as a whole the last two years under Hue. Lack of quick strike offense.

Myles Garrett is absolutely special. Preseason or not, whoever was lined up in front of him was having trouble just getting their feet in front of them.

Hopefully Carlos Hyde can stay healthy because it seems like he may be a really good fit for this running game.

Jarvis Landry should bring huge help to making bigger plays. He can make people miss, he's obviously got great hands.

Glad to see Josh Gordon back. Adding Landry, Callaway, etc should really help ease him back since it seems like he may not see any preseason action (Browns just posted a little bit ago on their social media platforms that he has officially been activated)

I don't blame Taylor for wanting to go back in the game, Baker Mayfield looks game-ready right now, and the pressure is going to be on.

Baker Mayfield seems like he may finally be the one. He can do a lot things really well. For every reason we swung and missed on Johnny Manziel, Baker Mayfield seems to be making up for it. I think that arm can hold up in a cold windy FES too. I didn't realize how good of an arm he had when I watched him at OU.

I still have reservations about this team, there are still things that worry me, but this team looks like they are ready to get out of the doldrums.

Legend
Legend
One thing about Garrett.

Jason Peters went out early, but their backup LT is the guy who played a lot last year, and handled some great pass rushers, especially in the NFC playoffs, and Super Bowl.

Myles Garret made him look like a High School player. He just abused Vaitai. Vaitai has reportedly had some issues this season .... but he does have the ability to play outside on the OL, but Garrett just went through him like he wasn't there.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: ddubia

"Denzel Ward, he has some back spasms from the way that he was twisted by attempting to make that tackle last night. We do not think that he will miss much time, if any," Jackson said.

OBR
Please let this be true. That kid is gonna be special if stays healthy. From his first preseason game plays with confidence and swagger and at CB that's important.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

OBR

I still have the same concerns with Ward as I did when we took him 4th OA. That was a pretty routine tackle he got hurt on. I like his demeanor and coverage skills, but what good is that if he cant stay on the field?

[Linked Image]

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

OBR

I still have the same concerns with Ward as I did when we took him 4th OA. That was a pretty routine tackle he got hurt on. I like his demeanor and coverage skills, but what good is that if he cant stay on the field?

Bet Williams LAID INTO HIS ASS. THAT'S NOT HOW YOU TACKLE.

CUT.

Last edited by kwhip; 08/26/18 03:45 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: kwhip
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

OBR

Bet Williams LAID INTO HIS ASS. THAT'S NOT HOW YOU TACKLE.

CUT.

He said as much in todays presser.

I hope this can be used as a learning experience.

[Linked Image]

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Lots of good points Tab.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
That's true, but I think it has more to do w/the owners exploiting their season ticket holders and making them pay full price for a game that is hard to watch.

You are correct. They could do the same thing by holding a scrimmage and letting the bottom of the roster guys run through plays. Might even be able to get MORE done because the coaches could set it up to showcase different people and different things they want to see.

But that doesn't allow the owners to rake in the revenue from selling 80% of the stadium out when only 15% actually care enough to show up.

Should amend this to say, a scrimmage against a different team, like we do with Buffalo.. and you wouldn't even have to have the #1s make the trip, they could stay home and get some actual extra work in.

Last edited by DCDAWGFAN; 08/27/18 12:30 PM.

yebat' Putin
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 5 Eagles 0 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard