Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
In a letter sent to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith and president of the Pro Football Hall of Fame C. David Baker on Tuesday, many high-profile Pro Football Hall of Famers said they would not attend the annual Hall of Fame induction ceremony until Hall of Famers receive health insurance and an annual salary that includes a share of league revenue.

The letter was sent by Eric Dickerson, the chairman of the newly created Hall of Fame Board, and signed by board members Marcus Allen, Mel Blount, Derrick Brooks, Jim Brown, Earl Campbell, Richard Dent, Carl Eller, Marshall Faulk, Mike Haynes, Rickey Jackson, Ronnie Lott, Curtis Martin, Joe Namath, John Randle, Jerry Rice, Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, Jackie Smith, Lawrence Taylor, Kurt Warner and Sarah White, Reggie White's widow.

"We, the undersigned Pro Football Hall of Famers, were integral to the creation of the modern NFL, which in 2017 generated $14 billion in revenue," the letter begins. "But when the league enshrined us as the greatest ever to play America's most popular sport, they gave us a gold jacket, a bust and a ring -- and that was it.

"People know us from our highlight reels. They see us honored and mythologized before games and at halftime, and it would be reasonable if they thought life was good for us. But on balance, it's not. As a group we are struggling with severe health and financial problems. To build this game, we sacrificed our bodies. In many cases, and despite the fact that we were led to believe otherwise, we sacrificed our minds. We believe we deserve more. We write to demand two things: Health insurance and annual salary for all Hall of Famers that includes a share of league revenue."

The letter outlines that the total cost for every Hall of Famer to have health insurance is less than $4 million, which is less than that of a 30-second Super Bowl ad, or about 3 cents for every $100 the league generates in revenue.

"The time has come for us to be treated as part of a game we've given so much to," the letter states. "Until our demands are met, the Hall of Famers will not attend the annual induction ceremony in Canton. It's well-known that the NFL is celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2020, and while we are proud of our role in building this league, we don't believe 100 years of player exploitation is something to celebrate. As we approach this momentous date, we challenge the NFL to honor its past by helping retired players instead of exploiting their images for marketing purposes."

The letter also calls into question Goodell's $40 million annual salary as well as the construction of a $1 billion Hall of Fame Village in Canton, Ohio. "Meanwhile, many of us Hall of Fame players can't walk and many can't sleep at night," the letter states. "More than a few of us don't even know who or where we are. Our long careers left us especially vulnerable to the dangers of this violent sport, especially those intentionally hidden from us. Commissioner Goodell, there are better uses for that money."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24720...annual-salaries

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
getting HOF's who are popular and icons might be the best way to approach getting benefits ... good for them IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

Just thinking out loud here... so screw every player that is not in the HOF? Are they the only ones who "sacrificed their bodies"?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FATE

Just thinking out loud here... so screw every player that is not in the HOF? Are they the only ones who "sacrificed their bodies"?
I figured they were using their position for ALL ex=players (at least I hope that's the case)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
So all players should get a paycheck for life because they once played a game, they signed a contract to play, for a specific amount of money?

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

I figured they were using their position for ALL ex=players (at least I hope that's the case)

That's not how I understood the statement. They specifically call out the Hall of Fame players.

If that is the case, I kinda get it. These guys played would've played in the league for a while, and it's true that their play directly contributes to the success of the game. As far as the annual salary goes, it's not that crazy when you think about it.

The healthcare thing shouldn't be just them, though. Playing longer does take more of a toll on the body, but there are also guys that had shorter careers that are just as messed up, physically and mentally.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
It's such a tough thing to regulate, especially in retrospect ... but I 100% agree that the players should get something (and even moreso for the ones who are older now and played in the 60s-70s)

M
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
M
I can get onboard with healthcare, especially for all former players and not just the HOFers. Put certain qualifiers in place; ex. 2 accrued seasons.

At this point in time I fail to see why a salary is warranted however.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
So outside of royalties when the NFL uses their names...what is it that the NFL would be paying them for??? They negotiated contracts. Contracts that are now complete and paid in full.

Why are they not asking the Hall of Fame itself for the salaries. I mean they are the ones "profiting" (a very loose term) from their names. In fact, the Hall's entire existence depends upon these players names and likenesses. If you think about it. If they were receiving money from the Hall of Fame...they would have a interest in the success of that building/organization. And hence might be willing to help ensure it's success in one form or another...I have been to the Hall many times...and outside of Hall of Fame week...it is not exactly crowded.

How much exactly is the NFL making off of the Hall of Famer's??? I think if they can put numbers upon that, they might have a case. Look at Jim Brown...He is extremely vigilant in making sure his name is not used without his permission. (Input Madden Games, etc. here...lol) To just simply say...they owe us and they have money is not an argument...They need to show how much they are owed based upon how much the NFL is making off of their names and not just by "how much they want".

Last edited by PETE314; 09/18/18 10:01 AM.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: mike3LT
I can get onboard with healthcare, especially for all former players and not just the HOFers. Put certain qualifiers in place; ex. 2 accrued seasons.

At this point in time I fail to see why a salary is warranted however.

I agree with this. Healthcare just like anybody else that worked for the company and retired, but a salary?

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Did I miss the word "Pension"?

Not salary. Pension.

If the current players don't insist on giving former players a pension out of their immense share of league revenues, that sucks.

I'm already down on NFL players. Bunch of self-centered scumbags.

One other thing.

Quote:
from article above:

...Goodell's $40 million annual salary

I believe this topic falls under the rubric "Social Injustice".

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I wonder how much is earned by the Hall of Fame?

Addmission rates.............Adults-$25
...................Seniors 65 & (+)-$21
....................Children (6-12)-$18
........................Parking fee-$10
..................Gift shop profits- ?

It would seem that the profits from the Hall of Fame might be considered as a source to fund the Hall of Famer's demands.

With Goodell paid $40 million per year and the NFL funding a $1 billion village project...the means are available to help fund the HOFers requests.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Legend
Legend
D
Why would they need a "salary" when they are only asked to appear one day of the year? That's more of a "stipend", in my mind. So pay them $2500, with all expenses paid to travel overnight to Canton for Induction Day every year. As for health care insurance, the NFLPA and the owners need to address that issue for all of the players eligible for benefits, not just the HOF guys.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. Not many weeks ago people were mad at TO for boycotting the HOF.

I went to his induction here in Chattanooga.

Pretty cool

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Look at all these divas.

Legend
Legend

that's how it reads.. which is weird because the ones in the HoF are the ones who can actually still sell their name recognition, they had to have long careers just to get into the HoF, and they were probably among the highest paid players in the league at the time... but they are the ones demanding all the future benefits.. So, the RB that is in the HoF is demanding this while asking NOTHING for the OL who got beat up blocking for him for years, most of whom are NOT in the HoF...

If they wanted to give them anything, it should come split between the owners cut and the players cut... the current players who are making $5 million a year are equally benefitting from the sacrifice these guys made years ago to make the league so popular..

How it gets distributed, based on years of playing or whatever.. that's going to be tough.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

A (good) health plan, funded by the NFL, available to all NFL players with X years in the league is entirely reasonable and, on the scale of profits by NFL, affordable.

A pension, funded by both the NFL and players salaries is also reasonable and affordable. Again, X years in the league. A health plan tied to the pension is a common approach.

A salary for HOFers seems a bit much.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
I think that both a retiree health plan and a retiree pension should be a joint venture between the players and the teams. I think that should be something that could, and should, be doable.

The initial funding would be a huge deal though, and I bet that neither side wants to pony up that much. I guarantee that if it gets pushed into the next CBA, it will result in far less for player salaries, if the owners wind up funding it.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
To be honest mac...when I mentioned the money coming from the Hall of Fame, I was being slightly facetious. The reason they aren't doing that is because the HOF simply doesn't have that kind of money. Perhaps with the village expansion....who knows. The point I am trying to make is that it is about the money and not about who really profits from their name...Has/Do/Will the NFL profit from their names? Absolutely. The question is "How much?

Without trying to get too political...but this country has greatly moved towards decisions based on emotion from one based in fact or reason. Emotionally we want the HOF'ers cared for. Factually it is extremely difficult to prove what they deserve and who should provide. There are precedents based on the usage of the players name and likeness and dare I say the very mention of "Hall of Fame". When Hall of Fame is uttered/used, every enshrinee is a part of that use. The NFL profits when they or an affiliate (like the HOF itself which not officially a part of the NFL...BIG point of legality here) uses that name. How much money is brought in to Canton and the NFL for HOF Weekend? And honestly for THOSE instances...the players SHOULD be compensated. And those things can be calculable.

But that is not what I am seeing "unfortunately" at this point. I see a decision based on we need/want this...the NFL has Money...They should pay for it. Nothing about how and what amounts the NFL has profited and whether that is commensurate with what they are asking. Just...They have a ton of money and they should pay us because we feel it won't hurt them monetarily(or in a lot of cases I have seen with DeMaurice...we don't care if it hurts them monetarily). I am sorry, but that is an emotional argument, not a factual and reasonable one.

I want these players cared for. I think there are things that can be done to help them and many players that are not HOF'ers. But it needs to be done in a manner that can be calculable...not just we want..you have...give it up.

And we have to determine WHO pays...Remember, the Pro Football Hall of Fame is NOT an NFL institution. If it was it would be called the NFL Hall of Fame. The NFL has ZERO input as to who is inducted. NONE...Think about that. You run a business...you have some employees that previously worked for you...Now someone else decides they deserve recognition from their time with you and NOW you are required to provide for them...Does that sound fair????

So the issue is far more complicated than the emotional level.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I go by the HOF twice weekly and on Weekends. Rarely is the lot ANYWHERE near capacity.
I bet that place can't fund anything but itself.

Legend
Legend
The HOF should send them all back their busts and let them put them on eBay.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have to carefully plan my retirement. Why didn't they?

L
Rookie
Rookie
L
I'm not feeling the love here. They get paid a lot of money when they play, even with base salaries, compared to the average incomes of the U.S. If they didn't save for their future when they were in the game, why should the NFL, the NFL Hall, nor existing players have to foot the monetary bill for them?

From my understanding, and other posters seem to have mentioned it better then I, the NFL Hall isn't owned by the NFL (nor funded then?). Surely the Hall could cut a check when they want someone to appear. That seems 100% fair.

But free healthcare? And a salary because they worked for the NFL in the past? Nope.

Though, I wish I could garner such a deal with my old employers!

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
quote above by lottadot:

Quote:
Though, I wish I could garner such a deal with my old employers!

"Sure Mr. lottadot, here you go."

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Hall of Famers threaten boycott until NFL provides insurance, salaries

Link Copied to Clipboard