Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Quote:

NFL admits Browns strip-sacked Derek Carr in 4th quarter of 45-42 OT loss to the Raiders

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com

BEREA, Ohio -- The NFL admitted Tuesday that the Browns forced Derek Carr to fumble in the fourth quarter of the Browns' 45-42 overtime loss to the Raiders and that the play should not have been blown dead.

With 5:54 remaining in regulation and the Browns up 35-34, Myles Garrett and Genard Avery combined to strip-sack Carr, and Larry Ogunjobi recovered.

But the refs blew the whistle and ruled Carr stopped for forward progress, robbing the Browns of the turnover in the crucial point in the game. Garrett and Avery still combined for a 3-yard sack, but didn't get the strip.

The Browns got the ball back at their 35 after a fair catch interference call against the Raiders, and Nick Chubb scored on his 41-yard TD three plays later to increase the Browns' lead to 42-34.

"Watch the passer on this play,'' said Senior Vice President of Officiating Al Riveron says, at about 2:38 in the video. "We rule passer stopped for forward progress and we kill the play. This is not forward progress. Obviously this is a fumble, we should not have blown the whistle. But because we ruled forward progress on this play, this play is not reviewable.

"This play would only be reviewable if it pertains to the line to gain or the goal-line. So again, once the official ruled forward progress, the only way that play is reviewable either via a challenge or a booth review is if pertains to the line to gain or the goal-line.''

Earlier in the day, before the NFL sent out its week 5 officiating video, Garrett and Avery admitted the quick whistle baffled them.

"For the life of me, I can't understand that call,'' Garrett said. "They called it down when the ball was floating into Larry's hands. That's kind of how the game goes."

He said he didn't know that the play was dead.

"I just turned and saw him running and then eventually he made it 10 yards, 15 yards down the field and they started blowing the whistle."

Avery agreed it was a sack-fumble.

"It was,'' he said. "They're not going to give us nothing so we've got to keep playing our game and doing what we can do and maybe they'll give us a call (one of these days).''

The officiating video did not show or mention the reversal of Carlos Hyde's third-down conversion with 1:38 left in regulation, which if not reversed would have enabled the Browns to run the clock out and celebrate a 42-34 victory, their first back-to-back wins since 2014. A league source told cleveland.com on Monday that a combination of angles show that Hyde's elbow and wrist were down short of the first-down line.

"The angles definitely gave me a view and perspective that he was short," Riveron told profootballtalk.com.

NFL really needs to not have all these exceptions on when plays can be reviewed. Link

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
T
Legend
Legend
T
Sooooo. Ya can't rule that Ogunjobi woulda scored a td because the whistle, inadvertent, stopped offense players from acting.

What they coulda ruled, or could change rules in the future is, the inadvertent in the grass/ forward progress whistle would result in a possession change but the Browns, wouldn't be able to advance the ball.

However! We all know! that any decision they DO do,

would only result in screwing the Browns in the future, like,

I mean, from the helmut throw, I mean, HOw many times,

I mean it's Hilarious! the ways the circmstances align to assure a Browns loss on game days over the last 20 years.

... lol, whew, ( surely they can't lose this time, I mean the clock reads ZEro and the Browns have a Lead!)

Then the referee, comes on, " attention, the uh, Browns are going to lose the game"

Whaaa! lol.

When will it ever change.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Oh good, I feel so much better now that the NFL has admitted that the zebras effed up the call. But then I noticed that the L stays on our record, so bite me, NFL.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Exactly.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I hope the nfl gets it all figured out soon. I don't want to see the nfl go like nascar has. Complete rule changes no one understands ,coming out a few days later saying "oops".

Broadcast coverage that stinks to high heaven. I know, it's all about money. Broadcast money. Yeah, the nfl is looking at decreased viewership.

Keep changing the rules, not being able to explain the rules, admitting you're making mistakes on the rules DESPITE having nfl headquarters and rules experts reviewing calls.

Something will change. What it is, I don't know, but as viewership decreases, and the nfl grasps at straws trying to retain the rights money.......things will change.

Legend
Legend
is this suppose to make us feel better about the train robbery we witnessed on sunday?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wonder how much revenue this will cost the Haslams if we miss the playoffs because of their criminal/incompetent nonsense? Is there a rule preventing them from suing the league? They've admitted wrongdoing twice, and cases can be made for two or three other cases of ineptitude/corruption. If the NFL was a hospital, they'd go broke paying malpractice settlements.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Still word on the first down though. Strange.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

They've come out and said that Betsy Ross stitched together some different angles and the call was in fact correct. 'Merica!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: FATE

They've come out and said that Betsy Ross stitched together some different angles and the call was in fact correct. 'Merica!

Which of course is horse manure - because no such images have been provided / released that back that up.... and the review is supposed to be irrefutable evidence. Not pieced together detective work.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Screw the refs....

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Originally Posted By: FATE

Which of course is horse manure - because no such images have been provided / released that back that up.... and the review is supposed to be irrefutable evidence. Not pieced together detective work.

They had to come up with something quickly and stick with it. The only other answer was the only possible explanation... BIAS by the human reviewing the play.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Remembering the "fumble" that was blown dead ... we forced the punt and scored on the next possession IIRC

THe spot of the first down made me more angry and had more impact IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No word on that blatant block in the back yet...

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The NFL offices, Roger Goodell and the officials can suck it. Why don't you jackasses actually get the calls CORRECT in the game when it happens instead of screwing over the Browns AGAIN? Geezus.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
No word on that blatant block in the back yet...

If they addressed every missed block in the back and holding call in the league this video would be three days long.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dave
Oh good, I feel so much better now that the NFL has admitted that the zebras effed up the call. But then I noticed that the L stays on our record, so bite me, NFL.

I’m tired of the apologies. We had one after game 1 with the bogus roughing call on Garrett. How about calling the game correctly and then the useless apologies aren’t necessary.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Did anyone watch Colts/patriots??? How many times has the NFL replay committee called for a spot review inside of 2 minutes??? My guess is that it is very rare...the just did it to Browns and pieced multiple angles to have ind indisputable evidence that breed instant controversy...ironjcally..4 days later they had to call another review for Pats and it 2.34 seconds that close spot was confirmed with out any replays showed by NFLNet or analysis...just done for show IMO to give cover for the screw up on Sunday

Legend
Legend
Not only that, there was never an angle that the PUBLIC was shown that was decisive. Such crap by the NFL trying to keep that game and the Raiders relevant.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
2 Calls by the zebras that stole the game from us. We won that game.

Joe Thomas #73
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So, here I was yelling at the tv that there was no video to reset that spot, and they found it through extrapolation. What ever happened to "irrefutable evidence"?

The fumble whistle was due to the new skirts they decided to put on the qbs. Damn shame Mayfield wasn't wearing one when a dl threw him to the ground with his facemask. The blind ref was looking right at it, too.

I keep reading about raider fans complaining about the quick whistle on lynch in the 1st quarter, but at least Schobert had him wrapped and pushed him back 3 yards. Still a quick whistle in my opinion, but a little more justifiable than other crap we saw in that game.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Relevant Dawgs? Your right!! The league also does it with other teams. The Pats, Cowboys, Steelers and Broncos come to mind. My friends and I talk about this all the time.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Yeah we often get an apology, fine against a player that didn't get a flag thrown or something of that nature all too often. Screw the NFL and their apologies. They owe us a lot more than an apology!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 42 Raiders 45 NFL admits Browns strip-sacked Derek Carr in 4th quarter of 45-42 OT loss to the Raiders

Link Copied to Clipboard