Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1535354 10/22/18 01:47 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
For those interested, please take the time to look at this website: NFLPenalties.com

Browns are in a 3-way tie for most penalties with the Steelers and Chiefs.

Crazy part is Steelers have only played 6 games.

I'll wait to comment more, but I think as Browns fans, we should digest this.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
For us, it's the TIMELY penalties IMO ... the number of small penalties isn't as impactful (as may be the case with Pitt/KC)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think the Steelers and Chiefs are good company to keep. Maybe not here but those are good teams running complex offenses.

The thing is, especially with Todd Haley’s offense, growing pains were going to be there. Asking these WR’s to block downfield, counters across the formation, pick plays…..all of these have cost us this year, but these are ALL things this team has been missing for a decade. How many times can I see the Pats run picks at the goaline before we do the same thing…..15 years it would appear!

Look there are definitely some growing pains, rookies littered all over the field, Landry is new to this offense and team, Haley is in his 1st year……I think we can all agree that when we aren’t shooting ourselves in the foot, this is the best offense we have seen since hue got here. This is the best offense since Brian Hoyer was here and we all lament Shannhan being run out of town.

Yes, there is an element to coaching and penalties, but do we think it’s going to get better bringing in yet another new staff? I believe that is called a fools errand.

BpG #1535367 10/22/18 02:04 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
I think the Steelers and Chiefs are good company to keep. Maybe not here but those are good teams running complex offenses.
being tied for the most penalties is good company to keep?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd be more interested in seeing how many incorrect penalties affected the outcomes of games. Any sight with that info?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Quote:
being tied for the most penalties is good company to keep?

The very next sentence. "Maybe not here" but....

Legend
Legend
Penalties killed the #Browns on Sunday. Their 14 flags for 114 yards resulted in six #Buccaneers first downs.

https://twitter.com/MarcSesslerNFL/status/1054413926958419969

4 or 5 of them extended drives that should have ended. Most were self inflicted/unforced variety.

https://twitter.com/JoshFin/status/1054434959925096448

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
just brutal

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Penalties are the reason Hue was fired from his first head coaching gig.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Penalties (especially in YEAR 3) are on the coach. This team is UNDISCIPLINED. That is coaching. Time for a change. We need a no nonsense coach who doesn't put up with this crap.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
CalDawg #1535394 10/22/18 02:47 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
I'd be more interested in seeing how many incorrect penalties affected the outcomes of games. Any sight with that info?

rofl ...

Good luck on that one ... u can take Mike Carey (greatest official of our time) and Gene Staratore and Mike Ferrara and show them the same play and get 3 different calls and rulings ...

Some of this is black and white like the LT jumping and the linesman being the only one in the world that didn’t “see” it ...

U start getting into things like “spearing” and the “protect” the qb rules and you’ll never get consesus ... good luck with holding ... thats like and umpires strike zone in that its how that particular officials decides to interpreted what is written and when they choose to call it ... same with the db’s contact down the field .. the INTERPRATION varies from official to official ...

I wasn’t *L* at u I was *L* at the concept of getting a “consesus” on what is and isn’t a penalty ... football has the most GRAY AREA in it when it comes to officiating ...

devicedawg #1535499 10/22/18 06:21 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Penalties are the reason Hue was fired from his first head coaching gig.

He was fired from Oalkand because All Davis died, plunging the organization into chaos.

The ensuing off-season, they hired McKenzie, sho, oddly enough, wanted his own head coach.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

*makes note to self* I need to research if the #Browns have more flagged return plays than unflagged, because it feels like it

Per @NFLPenaltiesCom, #Browns lead the league in illegal block above the waist penalties at 9. The next worst team has 5 (league average 2.75)

#Browns trail only the Broncos in offensive holding penalties (league avg. 9.69

Broncos lead the league at 18 offensive holding penalties

https://twitter.com/BrianSpoon

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
GratefulDawg #1539786 10/28/18 10:15 PM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

*makes note to self* I need to research if the #Browns have more flagged return plays than unflagged, because it feels like it

Per @NFLPenaltiesCom, #Browns lead the league in illegal block above the waist penalties at 9. The next worst team has 5 (league average 2.75)

#Browns trail only the Broncos in offensive holding penalties (league avg. 9.69

Broncos lead the league at 18 offensive holding penalties

https://twitter.com/BrianSpoon

Get rid of the ball faster... just saying...

Legend
Legend
harrison holds like it's his livelihood

DiamDawg #1540006 10/29/18 10:53 AM
Legend
Legend
Thanks for this insight. Seems reminiscent of scores for figure skating. And the extra "judge" for an appeal is better or not IYO? Refs are often remarkable, especially in light of the second-guessing they get and electronic help. Hats off to the good ones who dare to bother with officiating.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Bard Dawg #1540184 10/29/18 01:01 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Thanks for reading and giving what I said some credence ... at least one dawg got something out of what i said ... thanks for leting me know that ... thumbsup

Almost to a person these guys are dumping on me like i’m some clueless moron just making stuff up whose sole purpose in life is to stick up for officials to get crapped on b a bunch of people that NEVER BLEW A WHISTLE or never heard the phrase “blowing out of your area” before ..... well when it comes to officiating anyhow ... wink ...

This time i’m not just acting like the OLD DIAM ... an egotistical jackbutt ... i know a wee bit more about this stuff than the average armchair qb ... most of these guys ... think i’m Just some schmuck running may mouth ...

I sincerely u appreciate u taking the time to say that ... it means a lot to me ...

THANK U ... thumbsup

DiamDawg #1540539 10/29/18 04:12 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't think anyone is dumping on you, per se. Just dumping (ranting).

If I'm only speaking for myself, then so be it.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
oobernoober #1540550 10/29/18 04:23 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I lumped .. not good ...

Your very respectful ... your not in the “destroy the messenger” posse ...

I get the frustration ... this is different ... at least on my end ... i may be mis reading ... lord only knows i’ve Been guilty of that before ... i’ve Also been dumped on by the entire3 board more than once ... there similiar feelings ... *LOL* ...

Sorry to “lump” ... never a good thing ...

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Penalties

Link Copied to Clipboard