Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Raiders will either be sold or moved again in the next 5-8 years

I guarantee that there is a 25-30 year lease in Las Vegas, and that the Raiders won't legally be able to move for a long time to come. Taxpayers are kicking in $750 million for the new stadium. The powers that be in Vegas won't do that without guarantees.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
How many seats will the stadium have? Will it be indoors, I assume it will.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Raiders will either be sold or moved again in the next 5-8 years

I guarantee that there is a 25-30 year lease in Las Vegas, and that the Raiders won't legally be able to move for a long time to come. Taxpayers are kicking in $750 million for the new stadium. The powers that be in Vegas won't do that without guarantees.

When you say taxpayers, I'm assuming you mean tourists. Unless something has changed I'm pretty sure residents such as myself will not be on the hook directly.

Indirectly, some of the tourism tax dollars which usually go to the schools will now be going to the stadium. This is potentially a huge blow as Vegas schools already rank as the worst in the nation.

Vegas certainly has their priorities in order. There isn't anything I'm less thrilled about than Vegas getting the Raiders.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Mayock is one of my favorites come draft time. Kiper annoys me. Mayock seems to have a genuine love for the game.

A
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
A
Originally Posted By: FATE

On the surface I can see why that may seem like an easy conclusion to draw, but I was blown away by what I saw in person.

I was in Vegas last month, took a helicopter ride to the Canyon, the building boom is mind-boggling and it's a race to accommodate new arrivals in time for the Raiders - no lie. The metro area already has a population of 2 million+ and longtime residents have been screaming for a sports franchise for decades. Those people are goo-goo over their hockey team... every man, woman and child sporting a jersey. There will be no problems supporting the stadium, "strong native fan base" is already there. I think I used Uber eight times while I was there... every driver wanted to talk about their Raiders coming to town. The excitement and anticipation is off the charts.

Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I agree. Las Vegas will support their team. It's not just tourists who are in Las Vegas. Lot's of people live there.

Las Vegas will also be a desirable destination for fans wanting to take a roadtrip to see their team.

I don't think there will be a shortage of season ticket holders, and people who buy those usually take 5-6-7 years of losing to finally get fed up and dump them.

Gruden, Mayock, and Davis have a pretty nice grace period in front of them.

Thanks for these insights, guys. I'll amend my declaration of automatic, initial low attendance for the Vegas Raiders. Sounds like they'll do quite well out the gate.

That said, Ballpeen, you do raise a valid point. How long would all the native Vegas Raiders fans put up with a long period of losing?

Browns fans put up with protracted losing but began from an early history of greatness and just a general love for the game of football typical to Ohio culture. Even so, a lot of Browns fans have given up and perhaps an entire generation of potential fans was lost.

So one does wonder how long the folks of Las Vegas could hold out.

A
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
A
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Grudens ego at work here ...

Nathan Peterman - QB - Raiders

Raiders signed QB Nathan Peterman to a reserve/future contract.

It adds the worst quarterback of the decade thus far to the Raiders' offseason roster. Coach Jon Gruden now has an entire offseason to mold one of his favorite players. Also signed to reserve/future deals were WR Saeed Blacknall, RB James Butler, LB Cayson Collins, LB James Cowser, WR Rashard Davis, DB Makinton Dorleant, P Drew Kaser, OT Jamar McGloster and FB Ryan Yurachek.

Jan 1 - 5:16 PM

Wow. And here I thought I was one of the most pessimistic and cynical opinionators on Gruden insanity.

Much as I hold Gruden in low regard, I would be stunned and shocked if he elevated Peterman to anything near the QB starting spot. Over Carr? Or any other bona fide NFL starting quarterback? Over any backup #2 quarterback? Wow. That would be the height of stupidity.

Don't get me wrong. And decades of suffering the horrors of Browns fandom, I take a twisted and dark pleasure in enjoying the woes of awful teams like the Raiders, Bengals, and Redskins. I empathize for their fans, but I still enjoy the trainwreck.

Peterman the starting QB for the 2019 Raiders? Ooooh. I would have slither my way down into my slimy lair, grasp myself firmly, and thoroughly enjoy that sick, ecstatic pleasure. saywhat

Legend
Legend
From what I have read, the county is kicking in $750 million towards the stadium. How they get that money, I am not sure ..... but it is coming from the county.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
From what I have read, the county is kicking in $750 million towards the stadium. How they get that money, I am not sure ..... but it is coming from the county.

I think it's coming from an ad vawhorem tax.

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I will say out of all the TV draft guys, I like Mayock the best. And I agree with those that say Gruden's contract dictates who's really in charge. It won't be Mayock.

But one thing I think people should keep in mind. NFL teams have a lot more resources than those TV draft gurus. Heavy background checks and medical reports just to name a couple of things. Even though some teams ignore the obvious in that regard.

So while I don't feel the odds bode well, given the additional resources Mayock will have that he didn't have on TV, I'm not going to say it can't work if Gruden listens to him.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
LAS VEGAS - How do you build a $1.9 billion NFL stadium with no risk to taxpayers? That's exactly what's being promised by the group behind the raiders stadium deal.

Monday a top executive with the Sands Corporation laid it out for 8 News NOW.

$750 million from a raise in the room tax. That will be paid by visitors to Las Vegas
$500 million from the Raiders.
$650 million or more if there are cost overruns from billionaire Sheldon Adelson.

https://www.lasvegasnow.com/news/nfl-stadium-who-will-pay/541701917

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
R
Legend
Legend
R

From the tourists that visit the county.

M
Legend
Legend
M
How is that determined? An increased lodging tax?

Tackles are tackles.
R
Legend
Legend
R
I'm assuming it's a line item on the hotel bill. No different than anywhere else. I'm sure it's already there, but it's just going to be higher. Will you know how much beforehand? I'm not sure how that works.

I hate the strip and do my best not to go down there unless I'm going to a Knights game. And even then, it's Uber/Lyft directly to the stadium and back. And I'm only 12 minutes from the strip.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I'm assuming it's a line item on the hotel bill. No different than anywhere else. I'm sure it's already there, but it's just going to be higher. Will you know how much beforehand? I'm not sure how that works.

I hate the strip and do my best not to go down there unless I'm going to a Knights game. And even then, it's Uber/Lyft directly to the stadium and back. And I'm only 12 minutes from the strip.

It's probably already there. They just shuffle money from one project to the next. Maybe raise it 50ยข a night. The gamming commission has money they can move from one thing to another.

It's been no secret that Las Vegas has wanted a NFL team for some time. The county probably already has a stadium fund in place with a big pile of cash waiting. All governments have rainy day funds set aside.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Wow...calling Cutler as a good QB has taken Mayock a long way. Hope he has better success than Matt Millen who went from TV to GM.

Good luck Mayock

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Raiders hire Mike Mayock as GM

Link Copied to Clipboard