Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I like Burns's stuff, because he mixed in a lot of take to demonstrate things he likes, or dislikes, about a guy. There is a ton of info at the link, but I am not going to try to tie in all of the videos.

Breaking down the Browns' free agency options at defensive tackle: Film Room | cleveland.com
https://www.cleveland.com/expo/sports/g6...ncart_big-photo

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Very good article. Thank you.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Burns is one of those guys who you can learn a lot more from 5 minutes of his twitter account than any amount of Grossi or MKC articles. I really hope some of these twitter writers get hired by the PD and other local publications.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Burns routinely impresses with his knowledge of football and his ability to help the reader understand what they are seeing. What I liked most about this latest article is he looks past the few obvious big names to offer a look at some lesser known guys who could be productive pieces in the team's D-line unit and he explains how they fit with the Browns.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
Burns is one of those guys who you can learn a lot more from 5 minutes of his twitter account than any amount of Grossi or MKC articles. I really hope some of these twitter writers get hired by the PD and other local publications.

While that's 100% true - they aren't trying to do the same job. The vast majority of people who read Tony or MKC wouldn't be interested in what Burns does. I know Tony doesn't get a lot of love on these forums, but I always enjoy listening to him on the Really Big Show ... you just have to take him for what he's worth - which isn't the in depth stuff like Burns is doing here.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Great read, thanks for sharing!

I think we will pick up at least one FA tackle. Larry has really blossomed but he cannot play the same number of snaps as last year.

In the draft, beyond the usual names, I like Omenihu, Willis II, Tillery, Wise, Saunders on initial reading and watching a small bit. Obviously, if you can snag someone like Williams, Oliver or Wilkins, that would be ideal but I'd rather invest that 1st rounder in the secondary. The depth is on the DL in the draft and as the article highlights, there are some very viable options. I know I'm looking at need, potentially, but I would rank someone like Byron Murphy above most of the DL prospects bar Williams, Bosa and maybe Oliver.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I think both player ability and needs will mesh closely when we pick. We can go either DB or DT and it will be justified.

I also agree DT is deep in the draft. The chances of getting a really good DT in a later round is better than getting a really good cb in a later round.

Heck, we may look for 2 DTs in free agency and more or less pass on that position in the draft.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
What we have to find out first and honestly unless he spouts it out in an interview (write in to those who ask our questions...lol laugh ) what is Wilks style. His one year with the Panthers we cannot say because he utilized the talent that was there.

What I'm talking about in tune to this thread is at DT. Is he look for a NOSE TACKLE and 3 tech combo DT? or is he looking for two Attack DTs. What we know we have is an amazing and progressing ATTACK DT in Larry O. We have good rotational DTs like Trevon Coley, young and progressing but in between a speed guy for attack and big guy for 2 gap intentions.

So those who think they know, the usual is to look what he utilized in Carolina. But he was not in that position for 3 years or so and would eventually acquire his GUY for his SYSTEM!

So anyone who has uncovered an inkling to what Wilks would seek for his system. Please share!

thanks.

DT: As the norm probably tagged in some way. Atlanta will do what they can to get him signed prior to the FA opening. But none more desireable for our team than Grady Jarrett, the kid is a stud at the age of 25 and a FA that we can sign long term. If that is the direction we would want to go. I believe Jarrett was drafted in the 5th round so that we could do our due diligence from the draft and come up with a similar talent???

The two others I see are not of the norm of which we seek. Richardson of the Vikings and Suh of the Rams. Richardson would seem to be the GUY to invest as he's been on show me contracts of late...let us offer him a 3 year contract that can easily be terminated in the 3rd year if necessary. They are not of the norm because of AGE although Richardson is only 28. This kid is so so talented I would wish for us to pursue him and unlike the past, FA are looking to actually come here as their first Choice.

So for me - come FA period and the first day. I would like to see us sign him. Him and Larry and then Coley and others probably a rookie added in for the rotation instead of starters. I think Larry O and Sheldon Richardson would give us one of the best Combo's in our 4-3 DL on the inside.

Won't get into the real talents out there in Pass Rushing and Safety cause this thread is about DT! Oh heck I cannot resist...lol laugh

Man can we get Championship quality Defense real fast. I am real curious how Dorsey will attack this FA period.

Richardson DT, Lawrence/Clowney/Ford at DE edge rusher, KJ Wright LB, Collins/Joyner S

We sign those 4 for our Defense. DT, Edge Rusher, LB and Safety.

We are competing for the SB and we got the money to do it and work our some contracts to be ended when we are ready to use that cap room for our own 2nd contract kids.

Note those pick ups put a total different edge on our Draft and we can bring in IMPACT talent that are great prospects that can be developed without the need to utilize them out of desperation.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
In my own opinion, this is our biggest position of need. I think we need to add another starter next to Ogunjobi and we need to add at least one more for quality depth. I really like Jarrett from Atlanta but understand he'll command a lot of money. Someone like Malcolm Brown from New England could be a real under the radar type of signing without us breaking the bank. It would be smart in my eyes to add at least two this offseason. One via free agency, and then one in the draft somewhere.

Last edited by MrKelso; 02/10/19 01:16 PM.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
P
Legend
Legend
P
The reason I think Jarrett will command so much money is due to his age. He's 25 and has a lot of mileage left on the tires. Some on that list are 30 and over. They would merely be a short term band aid and not really bring a solution. I don't believe we'll be signing players whose best days are behind them. I think age should be considered when looking at that list to weed out some of them in that regard.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
One thing I don't quite get is the talk about shipping out Ogbah. I thought he's played pretty well for us. Obviously if we work out a trade that let's us at least stay "neutral" at the position opposite Garrett but upgrades us at DT, then great. But otherwise, not sure I see why we should dump Ogbah.

That all being said, it's nice for us to be in a position where we look at FAs to fill in a hole as compared to years past when we looked to FAs to be "the guy" that we needed.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Bringing in a guy like Jarrett would be worth the cost. Him and Larry would really open thing up for the LBs and Garrett. IMO, interior push is a necessity in our division. Getting guys like Dalton and Lamar off the spot really throws their game off. As for Ben, anytime you can constantly get in his face effects him.

Our time is now, as far as spending to make a push. A guy like Jarrett would be a huge addition.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
Bringing in a guy like Jarrett would be worth the cost. Him and Larry would really open thing up for the LBs and Garrett. IMO, interior push is a necessity in our division. Getting guys like Dalton and Lamar off the spot really throws their game off. As for Ben, anytime you can constantly get in his face effects him.

Our time is now, as far as spending to make a push. A guy like Jarrett would be a huge addition.

Grady Jarrett is probably going to be franchised.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

I guy can dream can't he?

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

I guy can dream can't he?

Obviously not.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: brownsfansince79
One thing I don't quite get is the talk about shipping out Ogbah. I thought he's played pretty well for us. Obviously if we work out a trade that let's us at least stay "neutral" at the position opposite Garrett but upgrades us at DT, then great. But otherwise, not sure I see why we should dump Ogbah.

That all being said, it's nice for us to be in a position where we look at FAs to fill in a hole as compared to years past when we looked to FAs to be "the guy" that we needed.

I must have missed those posts about Ogbah, who suggested that???

I just don't remember reading from anyone about dumping Ogbah? superconfused

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jake Burns: Possible Browns DT Free Agent Targets

Link Copied to Clipboard