C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
https://thehill.com/policy/technology/430088-amazon-to-pay-0-in-federal-income-taxes-report

Quote:
Amazon to pay $0 in federal income taxes: report
BY CHRIS MILLS RODRIGO - 02/14/19 05:16 PM EST 392
Amazon will not pay any federal income taxes for the second year in a row, according to a report released Wednesday

The Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy found that the online retailer, which reported $11.2 billion in profits in 2018, did not pay income tax because of unnamed “tax credits” in their disclosure.

The company will reportedly receive a $129 million federal income tax rebate, effectively making their tax rate -1 percent.

The company also reportedly paid zero federal income taxes for 2017, when it made $5.6 billion in U.S. income.

A spokesperson from Amazon challenged this week's report, saying the company did in fact specify what tax credits they used and that the report made mistakes in calculating 2016 tax expenses.

“Amazon pays all the taxes we are required to pay in the U.S. and every country where we operate, including paying $2.6 billion in corporate tax and reporting $3.4 billion in tax expense over the last three years,” they said. “Corporate tax is based on profits, not revenues, and our profits remain modest given retail is a highly competitive, low-margin business and our continued heavy investment.”

The Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy, a liberal think tank, says that the Trump administration's 2017 tax plan is partially responsible by failing to "broaden the tax base or close a slew of tax loopholes that allow profitable companies to routinely avoid paying federal and state income taxes on almost half of their profit."

The think tank calculated, using Securities and Exchange Commission filings, that Amazon had an effective tax rate of 5.9 percent in 2015 and 10 percent in 2016.

Several lawmakers, including President Trump and Sen. Bernie Sanders (D-N.Y.) have criticized Amazon's low tax rates.

"I have stated my concerns with Amazon long before the Election," the president tweeted in 2018. "Unlike others, they pay little or no taxes to state & local governments, use our Postal System as their Delivery Boy (causing tremendous loss to the U.S.), and are putting many thousands of retailers out of business!"

"You know what Amazon paid in federal income taxes last year? Zero," Sanders tweeted last year, along with an article about Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos getting $9 billion richer in two days.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Once again, if amazon did anything illegal, I'm pretty certain the IRS would be all over it.

Don't like it? Get after the people that write the tax code. Congress.

C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Once again, if amazon did anything illegal, I'm pretty certain the IRS would be all over it.

Don't like it? Get after the people that write the tax code. Congress.

1. This is your first post about this.
2. No one said it was illegal.
3. What do you think is going on in America rn?

A
Legend
Legend
A
Nah, I've posted this same thing several times, concerning different companies and people.

If it's not illegal, what's the deal? Go talk to your congressional representatives to get it changed.

I couldn't decipher your #3.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I absolutely love Amazon. I do a ton of research before I make a purchase. More times than not, I find a better deal on Amazon than anywhere else. For example, I recently purchased an Elipitcal workout machine for $700 that was $1,400 dollars at a local sporting goods store. The assembly fee of $104 was waived and I got it assembled for free. Since I have Amazon Prime, there was no delivery fee.

Leave Amazon alone, commies.

C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Nah, I've posted this same thing several times, concerning different companies and people.

If it's not illegal, what's the deal? Go talk to your congressional representatives to get it changed.

I couldn't decipher your #3.

The US debt is the deal... You remember the debt, right? Maybe you just don't care about the US debt levels considering lifespans, but it is a serious topic for our nation.

Let me try this again for you:
3. What do you think is happening in America right now? While you're misjudging your lobbying skills, the American people are electing different representatives to fight for them. Why do you think that the state of New York changed its tune on the deal just a few months after it was announced? I'll give you a hint: Every January something happens with Federal and State legislators. Can you guess what that is?

C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
I see your amazon purchase and raise you a movie to stream. I'm currently watching Buffalo 66 on Prime.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I absolutely love my Amazon Prime. It's how I watched all the Hard Knocks episodes this past season. Amazon for President.

C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I absolutely love my Amazon Prime. It's how I watched all the Hard Knocks episodes this past season. Amazon for President.

For shame. Here I thought you were a man of culture and have been with HBO since the Mr. Show

V
Legend
Legend
V
Nope, ditched the pay channels a few years ago. Amazon is god.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Oh, okay. The 'rn' at the end of 3 was shorthand for 'right now'. Got it.

C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
Allahu Akbar! You watching the new season of True Detective?

Last edited by CHSDawg; 02/15/19 12:34 AM.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I absolutely love Amazon. I do a ton of research before I make a purchase. More times than not, I find a better deal on Amazon than anywhere else. For example, I recently purchased an Elipitcal workout machine for $700 that was $1,400 dollars at a local sporting goods store. The assembly fee of $104 was waived and I got it assembled for free. Since I have Amazon Prime, there was no delivery fee.

Leave Amazon alone, commies.

I love Amazon also. I also like supporting small businesses, which Amazon is full of.

I think that part gets lost/ignored. Liberals put fingers in their ears and sing nah nah nah about it. Half of the sellers on Amazon are small and medium businesses.

A lot of people make their living from that site.

No Craps Given
V
Legend
Legend
V
Nah, I hate TV other than sports and Game of Thrones. But, I turn the TV on in the spare bedroom and run Amazon Prime 24/7w/the sound off just to pay tribute to the Almighty Amazon Prime!!!

C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
Alhamdulillah

Bezos! Bezos! Bezos!

Last edited by CHSDawg; 02/15/19 12:42 AM. Reason: forum text code is racist
V
Legend
Legend
V
I actually sell some of my products on Amazon and Etsy, where I have a link to my website. It's effective. I also have two of my books on Amazon's kindle site.

E
Legend
Legend
E
That's awesome!

I love them.

My credit card company used to give 1% cash back. But they stopped doing that, and now give credit on Amazon. So I go on there get stuff for free/cheap.

No Craps Given
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, I have a Chase Card that I got to deal w/my Amazon purchases. I can use it anywhere, but I never use it except for Amazon purchases. Since I buy so many items on Amazon, I accumulate a ton of rewards points. I typically let them accumulate and then make a purchase where I don't have to pay anything. For example, I just received a pair of athletic shoes yesterday that I purchased w/rewards points.

It's pretty cool because I also get a discount on tools and materials because I signed up for the business discount that Amazon offers.

While a lot of it is great, I caution people to do a ton of research before buying any product. I often find the best deals on Amazon, but that isn't always the case. Don't assume they have the best deals on everything.

C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
Heretic!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I love and use amazon as much as anyone...

But no taxes on 11 billion profit tells you how rigged the system is...

An individual would have the Alternative Minimum Tax..

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

F
Legend
Legend
F
I price shop on amazon, and the box stores, I find it's about 50/50 on where the deal is, really depends on what the item is.

But when it comes to those smaller obscure items, Amazon is king. I needed some micro fuse taps, couldn't find them at the local hardware stores, auto stores, etc. Got 12 of them on amazon for $6. Auto zone was willing to ship me 1 for $8.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
M
Legend
Legend
M
We are a big Amazon customer here in my household too.

But how good/cheap/convenient Amazon is totally, utterly misses the point. Is it right that a company making $11 Billion profit pays zero federal tax? It seems that many might be saying "as long as I get cheap stuff I don't care" ?

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
That's just wrong.... WRONG.

But, if they followed the tax law, did all the right things and this is the result, more power to them.

Now,, fix the tax code......

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
It seems some don't recognize humor when they see it and have a stick up their butt.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

There's not a thing wrong with Amazon.

What's wrong is a system that is set up in a manner that not only does a company like Amazon not pay any taxes, but also uses legal extortion to pit communities across American against one another to bid for tax abatement that reward them in billions of dollars in local and state tax cuts to move there.

And any time you propose they actually do pay their fair share you get labeled as anti- business.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Amazon Will Pay Zero Federal Taxes on 11.2 Billion Dollars in Profits

Link Copied to Clipboard