Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
U
Rookie
Rookie
U
First off , my sympathy goes out to all the workers at the GM plant and all the supplier plants that lost their jobs. That whole area is going to suffer big time not just due to the workers not having money but the local economy in that area. I myself was a victim of NAFTA and corperate greed as I lost a good paying job to Mexico.This happened 11 years ago and I still am not making what I made then. In this area , our big manufacturer and top payer is Honda along with all its supplier plants. Thats just about all we have. If Honda was to shut down , this area, or should I say this quarter of the state would dive into a deep economic death.

Now with that said I've seen GM slowly taking this nose dive over the past 15 or so years. It started with a program they called the GM buyout. I'm sure some of you remember this. It was when if you had a number of years working in a factory , they would buy your employment out for something like $140,000. You left with out a job or insurance and they would rehire someone new in your place. This sounded good but the newer associate getting hired would get only $15 an hour making cars, trucks ,and Suburbans. Now if they were paying lower wages but making $40,000 vehicles, why couldn't GM sell anything. If your employees can't afford the cars they are making then you are setting your self up for doom. Now also don't forget this happened years before the government bailout.Don't get me wrong ,but the bailout was needed for the employees of Gm and supplier plants and I'm glad it happened. But GM slapped the American people in the face, the same ones that bailed their butts out with our tax money by closing these plants and leaving Mexico and China plants open. Shame on them I hope GM rots!
No matter your political beliefs, the real enemy here is GM.

A
Legend
Legend
A
GM, Ford, Chrysler, jeep, and every other auto manufacturer has priced me out of the new vehicle market.

And that's fine.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Move across the country to follow jobs? Don't do that! Trump told you not to move because great jobs were coming to Ohio! Don't you believe him? wink

https://www.axios.com/trump-told-ohio-fa...6650904d28.html

Playa gotta eat!

We'll get a "force letter" within the next month. Don't know how long we're willing to stay in Missouri, just being prudent. Contract talks in September, national union will play hardball for a decision on Lordstown rather than just being labeled as "idled" or "unallocated". New contract means signing bonus of 3-4G, end of year means profit sharing check of 10G... "I'm gonna get mines."

If nothing changes, I suspect we'll cut ties and be back by next March.

I finally have a buyer for my restaurant (which was happening regardless of plant closing). I'll be unemployed and have a year to design our next business... something we can run from a beach in the Caribbean. thumbsup

Last edited by FATE; 03/22/19 01:33 PM. Reason: sometimes, I suck, at punctuation

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Best of luck in your future endeavours my friend!

thumbsup

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Trump to GM: Reopen Ohio Plant, Close One in Mexico or China

Link Copied to Clipboard