Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Hate the specifics, but this is a significant shift for the Republicans none the less.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

eh, I am for the idea, but not this proposal. I don't think a parent should have to delay their retirement - especially by the time when a typical aged parent these days are not going to be retiring until they are 80 as is the way things are going w/ SS.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BpG
Hate the specifics, but this is a significant shift for the Republicans none the less.

Typical,,,, BS

But generally I'm for paid family leave, but this plan is a bust... Just pushes things back.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
Hocus Pocus Politics. They know this is a hot button topic and until now they had no answer to the Dem plan. Now they can say they are doing it and it will cost nothing their way... But the cost is trading your retirement funds to have the right to spend time with your newborn child. That should be very popular...

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Hocus Pocus Politics. They know this is a hot button topic and until now they had no answer to the Dem plan. Now they can say they are doing it and it will cost nothing their way... But the cost is trading your retirement funds to have the right to spend time with your newborn child. That should be very popular...
To be fair, the other way is trading your payroll funds (higher taxes) in order to spend time with your newborn. One way or another, your going to pay for it.

Legend
Legend
What about the folks that don't have kids, do they get the same leave, as if they did?

#GMSTRONG
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
What about the folks that don't have kids, do they get the same leave, as if they did?

Well yeah. Good point.

O
Legend
Legend
O
They should probably just come up with a guaranteed time off bill that secures your job during an illness, child leave, or family emergency type situations with a general fund that guarantees very low interest long/short term loans with repayment to be deducted from your check or tax returns over time. This would cost nobody but those who use it and pay for it's administration with interest.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
They should probably just come up with a guaranteed time off bill that secures your job during an illness, child leave, or family emergency type situations with a general fund that guarantees very low interest long/short term loans with repayment to be deducted from your check or tax returns over time. This would cost nobody but those who use it and pay for it's administration with interest.

Hey, slow down tiger, this sounds good.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

As usual both sides dig in and refuse to look at any common sense solution.

It would probably make too much sense to have a program with employers that create a fund for family leave. Where the employer and the employee each donate, let's say $5.00 a week each into your personal leave fund. That would be ten dollars a week combined.

If and when family leave becomes needed in the future, an employee can draw from that fund when needed. An employee has the choice to enter into that program or not as they so choose. The numbers may be different as there may need to be a bigger allowance to such a fund on a weekly basis. But this type of program would be a common sense solution that both employers and employees would be a part of.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Why would the employer donate to this fund? If the employee wants to have a kid or six, that's their choice, their cost. Making the employer keep their job open for 6 or 8 weeks while they have to pay others overtime or hire a temp to make sure the job the employee was doing is covered, should be burden enough.

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Why do employers match 401k contributions? At some point we should all have an investment in America.

See, that's the problem. Even a moderate plan will face opposition from both sides.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
We all have an investment in America, taxes. Income tax, sales tax, gas tax, property tax, utility tax upon utility tax, cell phone taxes, almost everything has a tax associated with it. You can't die without taxes following you to the grave.

If Joe and Jane blow want to have a kid, they need to plan first on funding it and not expect others to kick-in.

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
I see. We shouldn't all work together. Other nations have family leqave that all tax payers pay for.

I propose it be a combination of employer and employee like all the other benefits that employers pay into and it's a bad idea.

Well alrighty then!

You know if we don't use an idea like mine, it will end up becoming every Americans problem with it being paid for by taxes.

Americans are tired of being the only developed nation without healthcare and family leave. Every other developed country can do it and all we hear are excuses why we can't.

So it's coming whether you like it or not. The only real question left is how it will be paid for. You would be best served to jump on the idea of a moderate proposal to address it before it's crammed down your throat in another way.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I could care less what other countries do, it's not relevant to what we do. People need to be responsible for their own actions and choices. Having a child is a choice, it's not a right, it's not a requirement. It's a choice. If they choose to follow that path, wonderful, they need to save money and plan for it, don't expect others to pay. That's unAmerican!

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
It’s unamerican for me to pay taxes for corrupt law enforcement personnel.

Yet I don’t have a choice.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
Then we should force poor people to have babies and let them starve!

Wait, that seems like the goal already.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Why would the employer donate to this fund? If the employee wants to have a kid or six.

This is where I have an issue with such legislation.

Is there limits, can a family just pop out kids every year?

I'm all for helping, although I think 8-12 weeks leave is a little much for the father, especially if they building a family baseball team.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
It’s unamerican for me to pay taxes for corrupt law enforcement personnel.

Yet I don’t have a choice.

The corrupt is an add-on you get for free. You're only being taxed on the good guys/gals.

#GMSTRONG
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Republicans are introducing a new paid family leave proposal today.

Link Copied to Clipboard