Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Chilly Offline OP
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
C
My 2 loves are the Browns and Liverpool. I've been a Liverpool supporter for over 35 years. Got into soccer when I was a kid and the first English Football match I ever saw was Liverpool v Crystal Palace from the early 80s. Remember the days when ESPN first started? They weren't like they are now. They showed whatever cheap Tat they could without needing a license or having to pay billions of dollard and in the 80s they showed English Football matches between 2 and 6 am on Saturday and Sunday nights. But, when I saw that match and heard the crowd singing and chanting and saw the KOP End at Anfield I was amazed. Since that day I was a Liverpool supporter. I used to send away for VHS Tapes from the classified ads in the back of the old "Soccer America" magazine.
This season has taken about 6 years off my life and then I got the Browns season. So, I'm probably going to be in a hospital around December.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Liverpool - a worthy favorite.

Personally, I only follow soccer during the World Cup & Summer Olympics. (2020 Olympics coming up)

I assume you’ve either been to Anfield or it’s on your short-term bucket list.

C
Chilly Offline OP
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
C
I'm in the process of getting my passport and I'm planning a trip for next season. I'm looking to catch a PL match at Anfield and hopefully a Champions League match. I'll be going for 7-10 days. Fly into London spend 2 day/night in London catch a train to Liverpool.I got some connections through a Liverpool forum for tickets. So I don't have a problem there..

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I always paid attention to the EPL mainly because I grew up playing soccer in the late 70s to late 80s. When Lerner brought the Browns and Aston Villa, I started paying even more attention. Unfortunately, the Lerner family couldn't run Aston Villa any better than the Browns. Now, they're in the Championship instead of the EPL. I still pay as much attention to them. Also, I have friends that live in Preston and have been to a PNE game with them - I follow them just as much as Aston Villa. Not EPL, but still...

Regarding EPL, I tend to follow the league as a whole and tend to root for the Nike teams because I worked there 16 years. That being said, there's so much money spent by the top teams, I can't get into it as much as many. If they had salary caps I'd probably pay attention more. This being said, I love rainy Saturday or Sunday mornings in the winter where I can watch a game.

C
Chilly Offline OP
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
C
I remember when Lerner bought Villa. The Villa supporters were going crazy about how great it is that they have a new owner, how they're going to buy all these stars and it's all going to be titles and a new stadium etc,etc... I just laughed. I told them on a fan forum just how [censored] they were.I remember telling them to Google the Browns and see how much he is hated in Cleveland. What happened? He basically bankrupted the club and they were relegated. In 8 years they went from a decent top 10 club to relegated and lost $100 Million. At one point he couldn't even watch the matches live because the Villa hooligans kept throwing stuff at him and attacked his car when he drove to the stadium. He's a Pariah in Birmingham England. He was so hated he was forced to sell the club. They're still in the Championship division and haven't been back to the PL since. He took a storied 130 year old club, one of the oldest most supported Football Clubs in English history that were a mainstay in the Premier League and in 8 years he DESTROYED THEM. Watch this video. I feel for Villa fans.
Death of Villa

Legend
Legend
I started watching the EPL when NBC started airing their games, I think 2009. I somehow picked Man City because they were the most Cleveland-like team (hadn’t won since the 60’s and their main rival has been the toast of the league).

I guess I lucked out on that choice.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Chilly
I remember when Lerner bought Villa. The Villa supporters were going crazy about how great it is that they have a new owner, how they're going to buy all these stars and it's all going to be titles and a new stadium etc,etc... I just laughed. I told them on a fan forum just how [censored] they were.I remember telling them to Google the Browns and see how much he is hated in Cleveland. What happened? He basically bankrupted the club and they were relegated. In 8 years they went from a decent top 10 club to relegated and lost $100 Million. At one point he couldn't even watch the matches live because the Villa hooligans kept throwing stuff at him and attacked his car when he drove to the stadium. He's a Pariah in Birmingham England. He was so hated he was forced to sell the club. They're still in the Championship division and haven't been back to the PL since. He took a storied 130 year old club, one of the oldest most supported Football Clubs in English history that were a mainstay in the Premier League and in 8 years he DESTROYED THEM. Watch this video. I feel for Villa fans.
Death of Villa

I've been following Villa since Lerner bought the team. It's wasn't all as gloomy as you described it. He actually made a genuine push towards the Champions League his first few years there. I believe they had just survived a relegation battle the year before he got there, where they finished 16th or so. He injected a bunch of cash into the team, and his first couple years there, they had a couple of top 6 finishes.

But after he kept missing out on the Champions League, he sort of pulled back on the spending, the manager quit, and they fell into disarray. He started firing his manager after every season, and they could never get any stability. They didn't get relegated until after he sold the team. Although, they were certainly headed full steam towards the iceberg.

Been following the team in the Championship League though this year. They are making a nice late push, and might have an outside chance of getting back into the Prem. Don't really follow any other team outside of them. Can't believe I've been following them for 13-some years now.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Always followed Arsenal and Ipswich in its day. My 2nd cousin is a famous former player for Ipswich and a former Premier League manager.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Enjoy watching but it gets tough with college and nfl always being on at the same time.

I play the hell out of some fifa though!

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Any Premier League supporters?

Link Copied to Clipboard