Next Thread
Print Thread
#1611518 04/07/19 03:17 PM
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
I mean the “chore” type painting. Domestic painting. House painting.

Tough chore. I used to do the outside house painting.

Pretty much annually, I’d use a couple different size scrapers, a wire brush, a couple rags, a cooler of iced-under beers and just go to town all day. A day baseball game on the radio was always a big plus. (I wisely did the ladder work first)

Then, of course, “The painting” part (on a different day) only took a couple hours of touch up with a paint brush and can of paint. Piece of cake.

Fairly palatable. Maybe even a little enjoyable.

I hated indoor painting. I’m too impatient to be careful. Too much preparatory work.

I happily paid for an indoor painter. And they’re understandably not cheap.

Do you have painting work coming up this year?

E
Legend
Legend
E
I painted half of the interior of my house. I hated it. So then I hired a painter, and he was magical.

No Craps Given
M
Legend
Legend
M
No. I lack the patience. We always hire it out.

Legend
Legend
One of the homeowner tasks I hate. It's getting hired out the next time.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I hate it. Did the entire inside, including ceilings, and the entire outside including trim, on my last house... then lost the house in my divorce. I’m done doing it. I moved into a beige house with lighter beige interior walls. Eight years later nothing has changed. This summer I’m paying to have the outside done. A slate blue color. I could do it myself but summertime hours are precious things. Spending my weekend hours painting isn’t worth the tradeoff. The inside will likely be unchanged years from now when we sell. I’m no fan of the color but it’s neutral and works.

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
Legend
A
I do not paint anymore. Luckily, my wife is great at it, so any indoor painting she just handles.

Last time I painted anything (other than my office) was.....10-12 years ago? Our house had cedar siding. Brushes didn't work well, rollers didn't work well. But a rented paint sprayer worked GREAT - until I covered a window.

We've since torn of the cedar siding and put vinyl siding on the house. Good news is, it only took me about an hour to clean the paint off the window.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd rather paint portraits than houses, inside or out, as long as you don't mind stick figures or abstracts.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I use to was my summer work bought a van painted houses.
Never did oil. Painted a bunch of houses exterior only.

Joe Thomas #73
D
Legend
Legend
D
Scraping and painting the exterior of a house would make my list of things that life is too short for. I say this as one who once spent 2 weeks of precious paid vacation time doing exactly that. It was miserable, and the paint bubbled and peeled a year or so later.

Incidentally, a list of things that life is too short for would be a good thread its ownself

Dave #1611560 04/07/19 06:41 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dave
Scraping and painting the exterior of a house would make my list of things that life is too short for. I say this as one who once spent 2 weeks of precious paid vacation time doing exactly that. It was miserable, and the paint bubbled and peeled a year or so later.

Incidentally, a list of things that life is too short for would be a good thread its ownself

Not if you are getting paid to do it correctly

Joe Thomas #73
BADdog #1611562 04/07/19 07:08 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: BADdog

I consulted the local Sherwin Williams store before painting, and bought pretty good quality paint there, so I don't think I did anything wrong. Scraped all the loose paint, primed it, and then painted it. But it still bubbled and peeled in 12-18 months.

Dave #1611569 04/07/19 07:54 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I always do my own painting, just like I mow my own grass, wash my own car, weed and feed my own lawn, maintain my own pool, change my own oil, etc

I will say that it sucks. My wife thinks it is so easy. Always asking me to paint this room or that.

I actually don't mind the painting, but the prep sucks and the clean-up is even worse.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 04/07/19 09:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Legend
Legend
I actually enjoy it... now that I've become pretty good at it. I generally "cut" and my wife rolls. Sometimes I just do it all myself. I've got a pretty steady hand so it's not that tedious.

My life tends to be so chaotic that I embrace anything that has a simple process. Painting is like chicken noodle soup for the soul lol.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
L
Legend
Legend
L
I don't mind painting. I like that fresh smell/look when the job is done.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Where is Mr. Ted? This thread is right up his alley...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Dave #1611596 04/07/19 09:52 PM
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Originally Posted By: BADdog

I consulted the local Sherwin Williams store before painting, and bought pretty good quality paint there, so I don't think I did anything wrong. Scraped all the loose paint, primed it, and then painted it. But it still bubbled and peeled in 12-18 months.

This reminds me of when we moved out Strongsville back in day. Half the house would peel and the other half would be fine. We replaced some of the siding and it was fine after that. The siding was just old and dried out and the paint would not stick to it for long.

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I always do my own painting, just like I mow my own grass, wash my own car, weed and feed my own lawn, maintain my own pool, change my own oil, etc

I will say that it sucks. My wife thinks it is so easy. Always asking me to paint this room or that.

I actually don't mind the painting, but the prep sucks and the clean-up is even worse.

I like to do interior painting. I have my painting sweats and t-shirts and wear socks. Comfort is everything when I paint. I am doing the den in the basement now.

sham63 #1611601 04/07/19 10:04 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Wanna paint mine, bro? smile

Legend
Legend
I used to love painting. I could always cut in with just a brush ... no tape for me.

Unfortunately, reaching over my head now is a non-starter for me with this back of mine.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
That’s interesting.

Before kids, my exwife also didn’t mind doing the interior house painting.

She always wanted me to join her. I wouldn’t and I’d tell her I work hard at my job so that we can pay someone else to do it. Not the answer she wanted to hear.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg
That’s interesting.

Before kids, my exwife also didn’t mind doing the interior house painting.

She always wanted me to join her. I wouldn’t and I’d tell her I work hard at my job so that we can pay someone else to do it. Not the answer she wanted to hear.

My wife loves that answer. She won't even paint her own nails.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I've always done all of it, even the exterior (aluminum siding). For the exterior, a spray rig helps a LOT. For the interior, it helps that I got a LOT of experience in the Navy. Granted, that was a long, long time ago, but I got pretty good with a paintbrush. I can cut in a wall in about half the time of most people which gets me to rolling it out that much quicker.

I do hate painting trim and still have a lot inside my house that needs to be done, and I have a little bit of exterior work that needs to be done that I'm considering hiring out because I just don't want to take the time any longer.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Love to paint. I've painted the entire interior of my house more than once (not all at the same time). I've done a couple rooms in faux finish type painting which was challenging but turned out great.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist though so I can't paint a room until I've patched all of the drywall imperfections, recaulked the baseboard and door/window trim, etc.

I need to paint the foyer next, might have to hire somebody though because I don't want to get 20 feet off the floor on an extension ladder.

yebat' Putin
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Do you paint?

Link Copied to Clipboard