Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I find it completely irritating that you are trying to belittle the idea that American society is creating mass murderers and teens who are taking their own lives.

It is you, sir.........who is trying to tie things up in a neat little package by putting all the blame on guns. Stricter gun laws will not solve our problems. Guns will still be accessible. They will never completely disappear. Crimes and suicides will still continue.

I find it sickening that people act like stricter gun laws will improve the emotional health of our population. Or improve the social competence of our population. Millions and millions of American citizens have access to guns. They don't all just start killing others because they have access to guns.

Stop trying to act smug and demeaning a very real issue just because you are on some crusade against guns. I've already said..............we can pass stricter gun laws. What the hell else do you want?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I find it completely irritating that you are trying to belittle the idea that American society is creating mass murderers and teens who are taking their own lives.

It is you, sir.........who is trying to tie things up in a neat little package by putting all the blame on guns. Stricter gun laws will not solve our problems. Guns will still be accessible. They will never completely disappear. Crimes and suicides will still continue.

I find it sickening that people act like stricter gun laws will improve the emotional health of our population. Or improve the social competence of our population. Millions and millions of American citizens have access to guns. They don't all just start killing others because they have access to guns.

Stop trying to act smug and demeaning a very real issue just because you are on some crusade against guns. I've already said..............we can pass stricter gun laws. What the hell else do you want?

Still didn't address the question dude and it still makes a mockery of your point no matter how hard you come out swinging.

Also. I'm not an advocate of gun control in your country. Used to be. But it won't work in the states. Gun ownership per head per capita. I think Switzerland are comparable to you. Want to research how many school shootings they had? Probably not many. But then, they must have fixed mental health or something......right? Keep drinking the kool aid dude.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I asked you to please start a "gun" thread in this forum. I asked you to not derail this thread. I even said "please," twice.

This topic is very important to me and you have mocked me multiple times. You are putting one giant label on what I am talking about when you mock "mental health," but I clearly addressed emotional problems, isolation, lack of self worth, and how many social misfits we have.

Whatever, you can take over the thread and you and others can have the very same debate that has played out dozens and dozens of times in this forum about guns. God forbid we talk about a different issue.

Before I go, I want to say this about our foreign countries compared to the United States. I have worked w/a handful of people who came from foreign countries. One was from the Middle East and the others were from various parts of Europe. Their message was the similar w/all of them...it just varied by degrees.

They were disenchanted w/American schools. They thought our students were extremely disrespectful. They thought they were given too much freedom. They thought there was a lack of accountability and rigor. They thought that our society didn't value education enough and that it adversely affected our students.

One lady who was from Eastern Europe was so distraught that she broke down in tears while talking to me one day. She married an American man and migrated here w/him. She felt trapped working at our school and was anguished by the complete lack of respect that so many children had and lamented about how little accountability was placed upon the children and their parents.

I think most of us know that the early period of time in living things is very important in regards to what it becomes as it ages, whether it be a puppy, a plant, a program, an organization, or a child.

Let's ignore that and point to guns and say "this is where all the blame lies." Deep!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:
I asked you to please start a "gun" thread in this forum. I asked you to not derail this thread. I even said "please," twice.

Why would i waste my time doing that? I've already told you a couple of times that i'm not angling that way. You either ain't reading properly or my statements are not fitting your agenda. Its pretty clear.

Quote:
I'm not an advocate of gun control in your country. Used to be. But it won't work in the states.

Fairly self explanatory. You want deeper? I can go deeper. Certainly deeper than it's our schools creating monsters (you think that's deep bro? tongue )

Ok

Couple of things.

Quote:
I am not a huge gun advocate. I am not deflecting.

I am simply telling you that emotionally disturbed students are the real issue here. We are a caring society and the laws and policies have been governed to protect those students. I admire the act of kindness.

Serious question Vers. Are you really a "caring society" or do you have caring individuals and communities within a society that to many, might be anything but caring? Now I've met a few of you, and some i call "friend" and i'd know that they'd give me their Browns jackets off their backs on a cold November afternoon but.....

I think people of color in the states might laugh you out of town if you said that America was a caring society....and they make up quite a large percentage of your population. People with the very mental health problems you allude to might also not agree, a large proportion of them are completely on the fringes, stigmatised, no support etc. The leading cause of bankruptcy in your society is medical bills. Don't get sick champ, because everything you ever worked for is gonna line someone elses pockets. Its basic capitalism. Unless of course you meant that society cares to take as much money out of your pockets and put it into their own!

I said earlier that i used to be an advocate for gun control, whatever that is, but that stance has changed. I figured, in its most basic terms that if the stricter controls are working in other western countries where some of the same issues exist (such as the straw man arguements of mental health, video games or "don't sensationalize these guys and make them famous and we won't inspire other people to get their name in lights!!!" kinda nonsense.); then surely we can cut and paste the same kinda controls and layer it into America and bobs your uncle......but of course it doesn't work like that.

You and me have been on these boards for a long time dude. We've been party and contributed to so many of these threads over the years.
There are threads on almost as frequent a basis as the spree killings. I understand your frustration when they get derailed into gun control arguments etc as they all seem to follow the same pattern.

Its only when you look macro instead of micro that you start getting to the root of the problems.

The statistics I've alluded to in previous posts will tell me that America, from 2009 to 2018 has suffered through approx 300 school shootings. In that time frame, Canada has had 2, France 2, Germany 1 and Japan, Italy and the UK have combined for a big fat goose egg (0). (Now thats the kinda thing that gets the 2nd amendment advocates all butt hurt btw but if you are a deep thinker, and a student with this willingness to learn, you probably need to get over the myopia and look past your borders to form a world view. I mean if you are making a point, why wouldn't you do a comparative analysis of other western countries? Doesn't make any sens to me to spout an opinion as fact and just say you're only interested in America particularly when other nations have much the same issues )

All those countries have the same issues with things like mental health, and video games etc that you do. I'm not going gun control with this so hear me out wink

Heres a new direction for a Dawgtalkers school shootings thread. Pretty sure nobody has ever said this before but hey its what I think having been around the traps on multiple threads just like this one over the years and being an outside observer when watching the world news.
Apologies....as it isn't going to be a popular opinion (but uniting to protect your freedoms and rights against the threat of Johnny Foreigner is something that both reds and blues can get behind which will be a first for this board lol)

If you were the CEO of a business and you had a catastrophic event, you would pull out all the stops to prevent further events of that nature. If that event was repeated, say 299 times over the next 10 years, you'd probably be held to account. If your only prospective control measure for such an event was to say to your employees "hey man.....thoughts and prayers" - it probably wouldn't wash. And in 10 years...thats as far as you've got.

Yes your control measures up until this point, ignore the roots of the problems. They are aimed at restricting the damage of the outcome and do not get to the root causes. Things like, "lets arm the teachers", lets run "Active shooter drills for kids who are 8 years shy of puberty", "lets increase armed security at schools".

None of it is going to work. You've just seen a 12 yr old kid cowering in a cupboard clutching a baseball bat saying on National TV that he's going to go down swinging. That my friend is absolutely tragic. Wait for someone to come out and say "the only way you stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good pre-pubescent kid with a baseball bat" Someone will make a hero out of that kid and he is not. He is just another victim.

The question of shootings are at source a human one. And its the question that you guys are unwilling to address.

Q - What am i willing to do to stop these events from happening.

The human answer? "Whatever it takes"

Whatever it takes to stop the senseless killing of innocent children. Do something, try anything and everything. It needs to stop.

And you aren't prepared to do that (which is why the talk shops such as this one are a colossal waste of time that retread the same stuff ad nauseum). That leads me to the conclusion that based on the complete, and total neglect by successive governments and the general population of the US to drive any kind of change within your society, that school shootings are the blood tax you pay, and will continue paying. These shootings are accepted mate.They are accepted and will continue to be accepted. You haven;t done anything, you haven't tried anything, you haven't changed anything and you know what? the next 300 over the next 10 years will be the test of that statement, as unpopular as it may be.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
that school shootings are the blood tax you pay, and will continue paying.

This is what I've been saying all along.
Every freedom comes at a price. The price for universal gun ownership is wet streets and wet school hallways.

Direct relationship.

Here's where differ from you, Riddler: I've accepted dead kids with a shrug these days, because I know the real deal about who we are. I'm under no illusions whatsoever. Nothing can be done. Nothing will be done. Because there is nothing to be done. Pay the cost, and stfu, America. This is our reality. This is what we have made for ourselves.

In other words: "Hey, America- I got your 'thoughts & prayers' right here."

"too many notes, not enough music-"
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think you are misinterpreting my message. I am a proponent of making dramatic changes in how we diagnosis and treat our troubled youths and how schools deal w/such individuals. I think we need to make dramatic changes. And this thread hasn't even been close to the other "School shootings" threads. I was trying for a different perspective.

It didn't work. No one is wanting to talk about making these painful decisions.

Blank it! I'm out.

Legend
Legend
I think you are misinterpreting my message. I am a proponent of making dramatic changes in how we diagnosis and treat our troubled youths and how schools deal w/such individuals. I think we need to make dramatic changes. And this thread hasn't even been close to the other "School shootings" threads. I was trying for a different perspective.

It didn't work. No one is wanting to talk about making these painful decisions.

Welcome to the trump era. Where the rich and powerful divide and conquer. Where the rich and powerful collude with each other to make themselves more rich and more powerful. Where the rich and powerful are above the law and aren’t held responsible for their actions, who return to work each day to break the law again and again. While the entirety of “We the People” can only bicker back and forth on social media about it. Enjoy.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
j/c:

Let me try again........This is important to me.

I taught for years. I still run a tutoring service. I have a pretty good feel for what is "really" going on in schools. I have tried to bring this up before when school shootings turned into gun control threads.

I am not a huge gun advocate. I am not deflecting.

I am simply telling you that emotionally disturbed students are the real issue here. We are a caring society and the laws and policies have been governed to protect those students. I admire the act of kindness.

The problem is that some [not all] of these emotionally disturbed students receive special rights and escape consequences that the general population does not. Their parent[s] claim bullying, but in fact, they bully more than others.

I will give you one story that symbolizes what I am speaking of. I had a student who used to pick his boogers and smear them on the arms of other students. We were in cooperative learning groups and he did this to the girl beside him. She was grossed out and screamed at him. He fell on the floor and began screaming about how people were bullying him. His mom came in and demanded action against the "offending" student.

He used to steal pencils, papers, and other educational items from another boy in his group. When the boy grabbed one of his items back, he screamed that he was being "bullied." Again, his mom complained.

He used to throw himself on the floor and bang his head. We were instructed by the psychologists to ignore this behavior because he was expressing himself.

He punched another student in the face because they touched one another in line. He escaped punishment because of his "circumstances."

The kids were terrified of him and his mom. The teachers were afraid, too. How do we serve his needs while protecting the needs of the entire class?

I could go on and on and on ............but y'all, this is a real issue.

Please stop deflecting the real issue by making dumb ass political arguments that solve nothing. Identify the real problem and move to correct it.

Believe me, it won't be easy and might never happen due to sensitivity issues, but please stop the facade.

Vers, you sound like I have always felt about this issue. I myself have never owned a gun stronger than a pellet gun when I was a kid and I think the "political" discussion is so far off base from the point you make. Mental illness seems to me to be the critical link regarding violence. Not always as with anything but a major portion.

I graduated from a very small town school in the late 1970s and I don't recall a lot of bullying myself. My wife is retiring as an educator of 35 years but her career was spent among K-1 grade students so she does not witness bullying that frequently.

If I recall you taught older kids. Did you see a lot of bullying or were the MH issues you dealt with related to that or something the kids were "born with"? I always wanted to ask the kids protesting or attending memorials if they bother to help if a kid is being bullied. Not passing blame or looking to excuse behavior because I think this is very complicated.

I hope I expressed my thoughts well because when I read your posts it struck a cord with me. I have 2 young grandchildren who will be starting school soon and they are very soft spoken and sensitive and I could see them being vulnerable to other aggressive kids.

I realize mental illness is much more than those affected by bullying

Legend
Legend
When I was in school I got bullied. Talked to Dad about it and he taught me how to handle a bully.

Never had a problem since. Never needed "Others" to step in to help me or stop a bully.

You teach your kids how to have manners, what to eat, what to avoid, the importance of exercise, how to pick themselves up after a loss, etc.

Man up people! Teach your own kids about bullies!

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
And there it is, hater blame Trump excuse

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Serious question, What if any part of this problem in schools is directly due to the litigious and pc society we have now.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
When I was in school I got bullied. Talked to Dad about it and he taught me how to handle a bully.

Never had a problem since. Never needed "Others" to step in to help me or stop a bully.

You teach your kids how to have manners, what to eat, what to avoid, the importance of exercise, how to pick themselves up after a loss, etc.

Man up people! Teach your own kids about bullies!

I too learned the old way 40. I also learned to swim by being thrown off a bridge into a creek and told to swim or drown... obviously my father was at the ready but wanted to force me to give it my all. He took the same approach to being bullied/fighting in school. I was told if I did not stand up for myself I would get much much worse from him. I was told if was a bully, I would receive much much worse. Strong men stand for what's right, don't get pushed around, defend the weak/defenseless, try your best to avoid violence when you can but never back down out of cowardice. I was also taught that your mind is always your strongest weapon.

After a young childhood of almost zero conflict (just a few kid fights), I had a bully problem in 8th grade. Three black kids, 1 my age and 2 a little older, decided to target me for lunch money. Two of these boys had been lifelong friends but were influenced by the third, a kid who had just moved to my small town from Chicago. For a few weeks they made my life hell by jumping or harassing me almost daily. They stole from me, belittled and embarrassed me, and smacked me around.

I was no coward at the time. I had actually been training with some martial arts self defense courses for a couple of years. But I found myself confused and overwhelmed, which translated to fear in my mind. The problem was very real for me at the time and two weeks in my parents had noticed and decided to get to the bottom of what was going on. My mom took me to the house of the two that were my friends and her and their mom set us down and grilled us. Even though they promised to stop, it only got worse.

That's when my dad decided to get involved. He sat me down and told me that it was up to me to stop this and he was not going to have me running scared anymore. I either stood up to these boys or he would have to toughen me up...

The next day they jumped me again in school early in the morning. I did nothing at the time, but by lunch I had decided to make my stand. At lunch I shoved and very publicly called out the kid from Chicago for a fight after school. Tension grew all day as word spread and I was worried I would have to fight all 3 boys.

When the final bell of the day rung, it was all I could do to muster up the courage to walk off school grounds to the designated place. Surprisingly there were about 30 kids that showed up to watch and just the kid from Chicago to fight. The fight started face to face this time, no surprise attacks. He tried to intimidate me with a sucker punch that whiffed as I leaned away just in time. Then he threw everything he had into a punch in my chest... I was so full of adrenaline that I never even felt it.

That's when the repetition of the self defense practice kicked in and out of nowhere I threw a spinning back fist that connected solidly to his jaw. I could see how bad it hurt him as he staggered slightly and his eyes glazed over with tears. His hands went up to guard his face and he swung wildly and missed again. I tried to end it right there with a throat punch but it glanced of his chin as he moved his head away. Then he put his head down and charged me just as I raised my leg bent at the knee to kick and he ran his face right into my knee knocking himself half senseless and falling past me. Then a couple of older kids broke it up saying he had had enough, that made me the winner in the eyes of those watching.

Two days later on a Saturday morning my mom called me to the back door of our house. There standing in a light drizzle were all 3 boys coming to apologize. They returned everything they had stolen except a few dollars in change that they promised to pay back. Apparently a rumor had circled that I was some kind of black belt and was going catch each one on their own for revenge and they were sweating that a lot... lmao, the thought never crossed my mind, I was just trying to survive it all.

A few weeks later the 2 I had known my whole life and I were back to being great friends. The boy from Chicago was pretty troubled and although I tried to be decent to him, he was pretty much a punk towards me until my junior year when I finally whipped his ass good. Then he faded.

I had been in scuffles, but that was my first real fight. I experienced real fear, real anxiety, and real danger. Any of us could have been hurt or killed, especially in the context of today's world where guns come out in these situations. That one lucky punch, the back fist, gave me a rep all the way through school that extended well beyond into my adult life. I was never any kind of belt, had a few classes and done a lot of book/film study of martial arts trying to learn to defend myself. I also wrestled, went into the military, and had many fights over the years. I won some (most really) and lost some.

The sad part is being bullied DID effect me for the rest of my life. That jaded kid from Chicago jaded me. I stood up for myself and found out that that can make you a target too. I gained a confidence that made me fearless but led to more fights than most will ever see and a large number of them were totally avoidable. I carried a chip on my shoulder in the form of a reputation that was not really deserved yet I had to keep earning. As I got older, I realized what a perfect storm it had all been. Yet to this day I'm hot headed and merciless in a fight, even though it's exclusively verbal today. Unless my life depends on getting physical it's just not happening anymore.

So when I see a guy like you, that I suspect never had a real fight, make a statement like "Man up people! Teach your own kids about bullies!" I can't help but get a little emotional and shake my head. I'm not saying you are right or wrong, but like in most human situations, it's just not that black and white or cut and dry. Unlike you, I won't pretend to have the answers. But I will say that violence should be the very last option all the time.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Riley01
Serious question, What if any part of this problem in schools is directly due to the litigious and pc society we have now.

I'd say on the one hand a lot of it is due to this because we make mountains out of molehills far to often. On the other hand, the mindset that complains about the litigious and PC society is a much larger part of the problem than the solution (i.e.- electing a guy like Trump because he's not PC... smh).

Legend
Legend
Did your Dad teach you to wrongly assume so much about the world around you too? rolleyes

My Dad taught me how to not have to fight but when it came down to no choice, he taught me how to take care of business. thumbsup

He did throw me in the lake tho. I swam. willynilly

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I also learned to deal with bullies by retaliating against them, which is why I let the Uzi sing when we all graduated kindergarten.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I make assumptions about you from witnessing your character as you present and represent it here on the board. If I wrongly assume anything, it's the flawed source input not the conclusion that is at fault.

My father did his best to teach me the lessons he learned as I'm sure yours did too. Those lessons, right or wrong from another's point of view, were still taught out of love. I learned to respect others, yet at times I find respecting certain others all but impossible. Dad taught me temper my expectations of others, a solid lesson that you remind me of daily.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
My Dad taught me how to not have to fight but when it came down to no choice, he taught me how to take care of business.

Here's how it went down for me:

[Li'l Clemmy]: "Dad... [insert name here] won't stop picking on me at school..."
[Big Clemmy]: "Well, then I suppose you have a decision to make."
[LC]: "What's that?"
[BC]: "You have to decide who you're more afraid of- him, or me."

Damn.

Once he got his message across, he taught me some things. Things I put to use the very next day. In fact, I broke My Pops' rule about "peace through strength," and went looking for him. When we met up, I initiated contact. Took 2 other boys to peel me off him. I learned somethng that day:

Bullies cry real tears, too.
Then they leave you alone.

Thanks, Dad thumbsup

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
My Mom had that same conversation with me.

They had to pull me off the kid.

We became friends.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I was told that Bullies are more afraid of things than I am.
I was told that Bullies have problems of their own that they deal with by pretending to be powerful.

So, went to school, 7th grade, and right on schedule as we were in the hall, putting our coats in the lockers, here comes Big Jake, the 9th grader.

He would walk down our hall and the kids would try not to make eye contact. Some would try to go into their lockers, some would poop themselves. Please don't let Big Jake notice me.

This morning he stopped by me and my little friend Dougie.
Dougie froze, big eyed, shaking. He still had his Elmer Fudd hat on his head, coat in the locker.

Big Jake ripped the hat off of Dougie's head and let out a laugh from hell. Dougie looked like he would puke.

Now I was mad. I told Big Jake to give him his hat back, we have to get to class.
Big Jake eyeballed me and said "40, I should drop you right here!"

I looked him in the eye and said, "Jake, you are bigger than me and can probably drop me like you said but if I get in just one lucky punch and drop you right here in the 7th grade hall, you will look like a punk while I will be the hero of the entire 7th grade!"

I stopped there to give him time to think. I could see by his eyes that his brain was spinning, probably the first thoughts he had in years. I waited while he processed the information, saw the picture in his own head, thought I smelled burning rubber, and then it happened.

He cursed at me, threw the hat at Dougie, and walked away.

Never bothered me or Dougie again.

Dad was right, thanks Dad.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
1. We are the United States of America.

2. We have the 2nd amendment.

3. I don't want to be Australia. I don't want to be the UK. I don't want to be Canada. I don't want to be another country. I want to be the United States of America. Do you realize how unique we truly are? We were an experiment and we have the 1st and 2nd amendments among others. There are zero countries as far as I know that are as free as we are. When you advocate for rights to be taken away, which your statements seem to indicate (correct me if I'm wrong), I have a problem with that. Maybe the 1st step won't take such a measure that effects ordinary people's gun rights. Maybe the 2nd one won't either. But mark my words, if you go down the path of restricting rights of guns, you are complicit to the government 100%.

The 2nd amendment was created for a good reason. Do you agree with the 2nd amendment? Do you believe that citizens have the right to protect themselves? Felt the need to ask because of your statements.

How do you explain the differences between the 50's, 60's, 70's and now relating to school shootings in the US? Can you answer that question with a meaningful answer?

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
1. We are the United States of America.

2. We have the 2nd amendment.

3. I don't want to be Australia. I don't want to be the UK. I don't want to be Canada. I don't want to be another country. I want to be the United States of America. Do you realize how unique we truly are? We were an experiment and we have the 1st and 2nd amendments among others. There are zero countries as far as I know that are as free as we are. When you advocate for rights to be taken away, which your statements seem to indicate (correct me if I'm wrong), I have a problem with that. Maybe the 1st step won't take such a measure that effects ordinary people's gun rights. Maybe the 2nd one won't either. But mark my words, if you go down the path of restricting rights of guns, you are complicit to the government 100%.

The 2nd amendment was created for a good reason. Do you agree with the 2nd amendment? Do you believe that citizens have the right to protect themselves? Felt the need to ask because of your statements.

How do you explain the differences between the 50's, 60's, 70's and now relating to school shootings in the US? Can you answer that question with a meaningful answer?

"Gun violence in American Schools is nothing new". From thenation.com

Quote:
We’re seeing a lot of suggestions today from the right side of the political spectrum that events like the massacre at a Connecticut elementary school are something novel in American history — that they’re a reflection of the fact that we took prayer out of schools, or that our society has lost its sense of morality, or something.

Well, a couple of years ago I did some casual research on the history of American school shootings. A conservative scholar on a blog I read at the time had said that he’d looked for evidence of such shootings in the 1940s and 1950s, and found none, so I fired up the search engine for the archives of the New York Times, looking for articles published between January 1, 1940 and December 31, 1959 that included the words ”shot” and “school.”

The search returned 4,940 results.

Most of these weren’t actually articles about school shootings, of course. Many were stories about gun violence that happened to refer to a school that a perpetrator or victim attended. A significant number were sports coverage — articles about target shooting competitions, or shot-put records, or even teams that the Times believed to have a shot at a state or national title.

But as I made my way through the articles, I found that eighteen of the first two hundred were reports of school shootings in which one or more people were killed or wounded.

There were three suicides and six homicides among these eighteen incidents. More than half involved a student perpetrator, and at least three were accidental shootings on school grounds.

Reading these stories, each of which I’ve excerpted below, suggests a world in which gun violence was anything but rare in the school setting. There were premeditated killings alongside instances in which tempers flared or caution was absent, and the Times seems not to have been terribly surprised by any of it. (In March of 1949, for instance, when a student at New York’s elite Stuyvesant High School accidentally shot one of his classmates with a 38-caliber revolver, the story got just five short paragraphs on page 30, and the shooter was charged only with “juvenile delinquency.”)

Anyway, here’s the list of eighteen. Remember, this is only a small sampling of the shootings that occurred — the result of a spot check of about four percent of the hits on a search on one metropolitan newspaper’s archives.

May 23, 1940: “Infuriated by a grievance, Matthew Gillespie, 62-year-old janitor at the junior school of the Dwight School for Girls here, shot and critically wounded Mrs. Marshall Coxe, secretary of the junior school, on the first floor of the building this afternoon.”
July 5, 1940: “Angered by the refusal of his daughter, Melba Moshell, 15 years old, to leave a boarding school here and return to his home, Joseph Moshell, 47, of 252 East Girard Avenue, Philadelphia, visited the school this afternoon and shot and killed the girl, according to the State Police.”
November 18, 1942: “Erwin Goodman, 36-year-old mathematics teacher of William J. Gaynor Junior High School in Brooklyn, was shot and killed in the school corridors on Oct. 2 by a youth whose hand he had clasped in thankfulness for acting as peacemaker a few minutes earlier.”
February 23, 1943: “Harry Wyman, 13-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Wyman of Port Chester, NY … shot himself dead tonight at the Harvey School, a boys’ preparatory school.”
June 26, 1946: “A 15-year-old schoolboy who balked at turning over his pocket money to a gang of seven Negro youths was shot in the chest at 11:30 A.M. yesterday in the basement of the Public School 147 annex of the Brooklyn High School for Automotive Trades.”
November 24, 1946: “A 13-year-old student at St. Benedict’s Parochial School here shot and fatally wounded himself tonight while sitting in an audience watching a school play.”
December 24, 1948: “A 14-year-old boy was wounded fatally here today by an accidental shot from the .22-caliber rifle of a fellow-student … the youth was shot in the head when he chanced into range where Robert Ross, 17, of Brooklyn, was shooting at a target near a lake on the school property.”
March 12, 1949: “A 16-year-old student at Stuyvesant High School, 345 Fifteenth Street, was accidentally shot in the right arm yesterday afternoon by a fellow student who, police said, was ‘showing off’ with a pistol in a classroom.”
July 22, 1950: “A 16-year-old boy was shot in the wrist and abdomen at 10 o’clock last night in Public School 141 … during an argument with a former classmate. They were attending a weekly dance sponsored by the Board of Education.”
November 27, 1951: “David Brooks, a 15-year-old student, was fatally shot as fellow-pupils looked on in a grade school here today.”
April 9, 1952: “A 15-year-old boarding-school student who shot a dean rather than relinquish pin-up pictures of girls in bathing suits was charged with murderous assault today.”
November 20, 1952: “Rear Admiral E. E. Herrmann, 56 years old, superintendent of the Naval Post-Graduate School here, was found dead in his office with a bullet in his head. A service revolver was found by his side.”
October 8, 1953: “Larry Licitra, 17-year-old student at the Machine and Metal Trades High School, 320 East Ninety-sixth Street, was shot and slightly wounded in the right shoulder at 11:30 AM yesterday in the lobby of the school while inspecting a handmade pistol owned by one of several students.”
October 20, 1956: “A junior high school student was wounded in the forearm yesterday by another student armed with a home-made weapon at Booker T. Washington Junior High School.”
October 2, 1957: “A 16-year old student was shot in the leg yesterday by a 15-year old classmate at a city high school.”
March 12, 1958: “A 17-year-old student was indicted yesterday for carrying a dangerous weapon. He had shot a boy in the Manual Training High School March 4.”
May 1, 1958: “A 15-year-old high school freshman was shot and killed by a classmate in a washroom of the Massapequa High School today.”
September 24, 1959: “Twenty-seven men and boys and an arsenal were seized in the Bronx last night as the police headed off a gang war resulting from the fatal shooting of a teen-ager Monday at Morris High School.”

It's alright bro, i'll do your Google for you.

Not quite as devastating in todays age, but then the child of the 40's probably wasn't running around with an AR-15.

For the first 30 years of my life, I never saw a gun. That must be unfathomable to you. I've never been in a school with armed guards, armed teachers, metal detectors, searches, active shooter drills and i'm thankful that my kids don't live in that reality. What exactly would i need protection from?

The police are armed here in Aus and of course shootings still happen....but for the most part its overwhelmingly bad guy on bad guy and the numbers pale into comparison. Something i've never witnessed first hand.

(Since i been here, i've only ever witnessed 2 fist fights also which actually surprises me but i digress....)

Freedoms? I'm plenty free thanks. Cold hard reality is pal is that you like guns. I mean....you really really really like guns.

I'd tip most responsible gun owners would lock away the firearms at home so i'd be interested in what protection they'd offer you for a 2 am break in on your home for example?

Pitch black, in your PJs, fumbling for a key or safe code in the dark. Or sleep with a pistol under your pillow and then the kids get it and shoot either you, each other or themselves. Nice one.

Quote:

Well. tbh, theres a bit more to it than the right to bear arms to protect oneself but thats all folks ever seem to cherry pick.

Most Western societies tend to update the laws 300 years after the affect and i'd hazard a guess that you ain't a part of any kinda organised militia standing up to federal tyranny. And quite frankly, if you are the safeguard against tyrannical government......why don't you do something with your organised militia mates? What are you waiting for?! lol

Nah you forget all that stuff and just strip it back to the right to bear arms because you like guns. I'm clearly no expert in the American constitution bro so feel free to correct me if that stuff in't in there but America has surely moved on from when you all wore wigs, britches and wielded cutlasses and muskets right?

Quote:
I don't want to be Australia. I don't want to be the UK. I don't want to be Canada. I don't want to be another country. I want to be the United States of America. Do you realize how unique we truly are?

You haven't been paying attention dude. Best of luck to you, I'm happy for you and your freedoms; you've made your bed fella, now go lie in it. We ain't changing each others minds. You ain't changing school shootings. Like Clem said, pay the tax and STFU. It is what it is. tongue

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Well since your location says Australia your freedoms, country history, population, culture, and society are different than the US so that's understandable.

With that being said, I'd die before I gave up my gun to the government or anyone else.

-Charles Bukowski
M
Legend
Legend
M

With that being said, I'd die before I gave up my gun to the government or anyone else.

I think you made his point for him.... you really really really like guns. As for freedom? If you feel the need to have a firearm to make you feel safe ... then you are deceiving yourself that you are free, what you are is scared..... The fact that you'd give all your freedoms away by dying to prevent gun control, back ground checks and mental health checks.... seems a little odd to me.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
The conversation, as usual, has become so stimulating and enlightening. It's amazing to me that people can't ever get off the rails and try a less-beaten path.

No one thinks emotional problems, social isolation, questionable methods of from the psychology field, fractured homes, bullying on social media, violent video games, tv shows, movies, lack of accountability, a lack of respect for education, labeling, looking for shallow diagnoses, and turning a blind eye to the real issues are worth even discussing.

Nah man. It's guns and being tough guys. It's like conversing w/a bunch of three year olds.

I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Gotta disagree . Sometimes the bullies dont leave you alone , sometimes they keep coming back again and again .

Skinny little 6 grade me got bullied and fought the bigger kid with little success but still i fought . He must not have liked my face because we repeated that fight 6 or 7 times throughout Middle school , Jr high and into High school . As I got older I fared better but even though there were easier marks he still chose me and away we'd go .
Hell, I even fought him as an adult years later at a local bar and that time he got a fairly bad beating but next time I encountered him guess what ? He didnt learn , we didnt become friends and no amount of me pummeling him was gonna make him be anything other than what he was .

Point is sometimes it doesnt end like the movies .

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The conversation, as usual, has become so stimulating and enlightening. It's amazing to me that people can't ever get off the rails and try a less-beaten path.

No one thinks emotional problems, social isolation, questionable methods of from the psychology field, fractured homes, bullying on social media, violent video games, tv shows, movies, lack of accountability, a lack of respect for education, labeling, looking for shallow diagnoses, and turning a blind eye to the real issues are worth even discussing.

Nah man. It's guns and being tough guys. It's like conversing w/a bunch of three year olds.

All the points you bring up are not worth discussing. Who cares about the "whys" and the "hows" of spree shootings if your country isn't willing to change or even try to establish and fix root causes? All those areas of contributing factors are just deckchairs to move about on the Titanic when nobody is willing to fix the great big bloody hole in your hull.

Its a pointless and moot discussion. At some point, you probably need to stop talking about deckchairs when the water is over your head. A couple of us are there already. Whats the point your making Vers? You've made no progression on the issue as a Nation in 20 years or even before that. But lets fix it on a message board?! notallthere

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
All the points you bring up are not worth discussing. Who cares about the "whys" and the "hows" of spree shootings if your country isn't willing to change or even try to establish and fix root causes?

Your point is contradictory. The gun is the tool, it's the HOW, everything Vers mentioned is the WHY, which is the root cause.

All of the knife violence posts from the right are an attempt to point out that you can change the HOW by gun control.. but if you don't try to address the WHY, the violence will still happen..

Carnage might be less if you reduce the types of weapons available.. but it will still happen..

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

Carnage might be less if you reduce the types of weapons available.. but it will still happen..

Far, far less. Body counts mean something.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: mgh888

I think you made his point for him.... you really really really like guns. As for freedom? If you feel the need to have a firearm to make you feel safe ... then you are deceiving yourself that you are free, what you are is scared..... The fact that you'd give all your freedoms away by dying to prevent gun control, back ground checks and mental health checks.... seems a little odd to me.

Yes, I'd gladly die for the freedoms we have. You should as well unless you're scared. You don't seem to fully comprehend the 2nd amendment and what its for. You most certainly are not appreciative of it. To me that is blatantly un-American.

-Charles Bukowski
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:
All the points you bring up are not worth discussing. Who cares about the "whys" and the "hows" of spree shootings if your country isn't willing to change or even try to establish and fix root causes?

Your point is contradictory. The gun is the tool, it's the HOW, everything Vers mentioned is the WHY, which is the root cause.

All of the knife violence posts from the right are an attempt to point out that you can change the HOW by gun control.. but if you don't try to address the WHY, the violence will still happen..

I'm glad at least one person understood the point I was trying to make. I was beginning to wonder if I was speaking a foreign language.

I wanted to address a couple of other questions that were asked of me. I think Fort had a couple of good ones, but unless things change drastically on this thread, I should just bow out.

I think the topic is either too deep or too disturbing for most to even consider. It's tough to consider that we might be making monsters in this country and it's a lot easier to slap labels and generic political hot takes on things than it is to consider an upheaval of our psychiatric identification and treatment options. Similarly, it's tough to question what we value in this country. A lack of respect for education and a sense of entitlement while demanding one's rights are met while ignoring the rights of our neighbors.

It's very, very deep and I don't think many people want to delve into such a pool.

Legend
Legend
That pool is filled with filth, and that’s why people don’t dive in. We get all caught up with those god given rights and loose our vision of empathy and humanity. We work against each other instead of working to find real solutions. The division causes indifference, jealousy, and hate.

I know it’s been happening for sometime, but in the trump era, it’s off the hook. It will continue to get worse with the current leadership in the WH.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
T
Legend
Legend
T
My response to you, just didn't go through. Somehow the internet disconnected, or page didn't load.

How conVIEnent.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
What I am speaking of has been going on for freaking decades. I don't like Trump either, but it's mindless souls like you that ruin discussions w/your constant crap. Guys on the other side of the political ledger do the same damn thing.

Freaking mindless.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus From the Mouths of Babes--Colorado Shooting

Link Copied to Clipboard