Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
M
Seeing the post on the 86 championship game made me think back on some of the great games and bad one's too and what I was doing.

Thought it would be a fun thread and stir up some memories for everyone.

My favorite one for me is I will never forget I was 7 or 8 years old and we were flying home from Ft. Lauderdale (my first flight and my grandparents paid for the whole vacation so they could see the whole family at Christmas which intended up a tradition.)

When we were getting ready to land the pilot comes on and says folks the Cleveland Browns are going to the Super Bowl. I was on cloud nine and everyone was going crazy.

We get off the plane and everyone is sad and we are asking what happened.

Yep....Red Right 88. I cried a lot of tears that night as I thought for sure we were going to the Super Bowl.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Jets double overtime.

Changed a lot of things for me as a lifelong fan.

Legend
Legend
Saints Hail Mary game ... I was a pre-teen sitting in my grandparents’ living room eating snacks .. I was just about to get ready to Trick or Treat (believe it was Halloween) ... that was a sweet first win

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: AZBrown
Jets double overtime.

Changed a lot of things for me as a lifelong fan.

I was at the game...we were all standing and on the edge of our seats. Many had also left only to hear as they got to their cars near the Flats that the Browns had tied it and it was going into OT. The Muni opened the gates and allowed people to come back in and it was standing room only in the aisles! I was 17 and still have my ticket stub (framed and hung! $20!!).

S
Legend
Legend
S
The Drive was one of my first memories period. I was 5 years old, and I just remember everyone going crazy and stamping their feet on the floor, and then just utter silence.

I remember opening day 2002 like it was nothing. A buddy and I were up in my room smoking a ton of weed. We thought the game was over, but a flag on the play for Dwayne Rudd tossing his helmet before the play was over. Man that one hurt.

First game after 9/11, I was at Browns stadium. Pretty crazy. The security was intense, and Ty Detmer threw 7 picks.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
The Rudd helmet toss was one in a series of unbelievable (and, I mean Unbelievable) ways the Browns lost games. Bottlegate comes to mind.

Though it didn't end the game: wasn't it Zeus who got the ref BB flag in the eyeball?

Legend
Legend
The helmet toss was jus sickening ... i was on the floor for a long while after that

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
The helmet toss was just the NFL being the No Fun League.

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
January 4th, 1981 ... we had to go to a belated New Years Day dinner at my sister's house, and I wasn't happy about it. The Browns were playing the Raiders for a chance to go to the AFC Conference game, and I was superstitious about watching the game anywhere but home. But we went, because we couldn't not go. My little sister was wise to our family's ways re: Browns' football, and set up the TV so we could watch while eating dinner. When Sipe threw the interception, I had to excuse myself and I went in the bathroom and threw cold water on my face, collected myself, and went back out to finish dinner ... and left asap. I don't think I spoke until around noon the next day, when the guy I shared an office with asked me if I was okay, and I said "I can't believe he threw that pass.". Just now, before posting this, I went to Youtube and watched it again. Reggie Rucker was uncovered in the endzone on the right side (opposite where Newsome was), but Brian never looked at him. I still can't believe he threw that pass.

M
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
M
Sam told Brian to throw it to the blonde in the front row is the story that I have always heard. (Correct me if I am wrong but that is what I heard)

That game made me a browns fan for life as I was 8 years old and was devastated and thought they will win next year! (We have been waiting for next year far too long)

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
first NFL game I ever watched was the 86 AFC championship game (welcome to the NFL kid)

The only game where I ever tossed anything in anger and frustration was the game against Chicago (2003?) where we had a 14 pt lead with like 30 seconds left, only to lose in OT...I threw my water bottle against the wall and went into the bathroom and sat on the toilet for like 20 mins. My GF was like WTF, quit being a baby.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: boofers20

The only game where I ever tossed anything in anger and frustration was the game against Chicago (2003?) where we had a 14 pt lead with like 30 seconds left, only to lose in OT...20 mins. .

That was an excruciating one. And, to boot, we gave up a lead to the Steelers a week after and lost in overtime as well. 2001 I think.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah it was 2001.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Gosh, that Chicago game .... we were up 21-7 with like a minute left (maybe less). Courtney Brown had a big game, so did our offense with big plays .. awful loss

A
Legend
Legend
A
I was there for the game. Couldn't believe it.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: AZBrown
The Rudd helmet toss was one in a series of unbelievable (and, I mean Unbelievable) ways the Browns lost games. Bottlegate comes to mind.

Though it didn't end the game: wasn't it Zeus who got the ref BB flag in the eyeball?

The Baltimore Kick 6 on TNF was another horrific loss.

Legend
Legend
IIRC with the kick 6 loss ... at least we were firmly out of the race at the time .. we were a horrendous team. Still, a mind blowing way to lose.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
No biggie, but the "kick 6" was actually Monday night.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I was there for bottlegate in the 500 level seats waaaay up top... I was thinking for the first time I'm glad our seats were only 4 rows from the top.

Legend
Legend
Bottle gate: I was at a restaurant in Erie (fancy restaurant ... i believe it was right before Christmas because it was well decorated) and my grandpa tore down the wreaths from the fireplace

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Double overtime Jets, I was in a NYC apartment with Jet fans.
That was fun!

Joe Thomas #73
P
Legend
Legend
P
Bottlegate I was in section 120 right in the middle of it ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BADdog
Double overtime Jets, I was in a NYC apartment with Jet fans.
That was fun!

I was over at a buddy of mine's house, watching the game. His wife went out, but his little girl was at home. She was around 2 or 3, IIRC. We're watching the game, and trying to keep the noise down, but we completely failed at this when we finally won the game. His little daughter comes out to us whooping and hollering .... and bursts out into tears. crazy lol

His daughter has now been married for 6 years, has, I think, 2 kids, and is a doctor. I feel old.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The moment Brian Brennan scored the go ahead touchdown against the Broncos with 5 minutes left in the 1986 AFC Championship Game.

It's all been down hill since...

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
The moment Brian Brennan scored the go ahead touchdown against the Broncos with 5 minutes left in the 1986 AFC Championship Game.

It's all been down hill since...

Yep, I was almost in tears when he scored. I thought we were finally going to the SB.

A few seconds later I thought when Brennan got past Dennis Smith (that was the Denver defender I think) and scored, my fear was, oh man, maybe he should have been tackled and we could run the run ball for 6 downs, eliminated the clock and kick the game winner. I was worried we scored too fast.

Saying that, I felt like no way we could lose though when Mosely kicked that wobbler that the Broncos return guys flubbed around and ended up on the 2 year line. On the sideline Elway looked like he wanted to be anywhere else but at the game. I thought it was over!!

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Where were you-Browns moments

Link Copied to Clipboard